As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    @zerzhul is correct, setup/teardown stuff is Enforcers-only.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    GeroFrogGeroFrog Registered User new member
    Hello, I was wondering if we can bring a USB drive to run games off of at the Desktop Freeplay areas at PAX?

Thanks!

• Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    ^ From what I've seen in the past... No. They often have game beta's that aren't public and other such things on those computers, and even if what you're doing would be safe, they can't stand over your shoulder and make sure you aren't copying anything you shouldn't be. Also, those computers have A LOT of games on them, theres a good chance they'll have the game you're looking for.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There was also a case of someone attempting to steal an unfinished version of a game at East 2010 via a USB drive. In general, I would say the best bet is to keep one's peripherals to oneself, excepting perhaps a personal controller in the console area.

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    GeroFrog wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering if we can bring a USB drive to run games off of at the Desktop Freeplay areas at PAX?

Thanks!

The policy is that you are not allowed to hook up any devices or peripherals to the Freeplay computers. Anything further requires special permission from the Freeplay Manager.

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    LordBraska1999LordBraska1999 Bahston, MARegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BUYING PASSES FROM SECONDARY SOURCES

Can I buy or sell a badge on the PAX Forums?

No.

I just bought a pass on craigslist / ebay, how do I know if it's legit?

This really won't apply until after PAX EAST passes sell out, but I wanted to put this out there anyways. If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there will no longer be any pass selling or buying here.

Please be aware that there may/will be repercussions for attempting to sell or buy badges on the forums.

Please remember, buying a pass from anybody except Penny-Arcade means you are potentially buying a counterfeit pass which can be confiscated and you will be asked to leave the show.

Last PAX East, there was a Badge Checking Station so you could check the badge before purchasing while AT PAX. However, this won't help you much if you've already paid for the badge and it is counterfeit.

2l6cl2.jpg

Just a reminder, this is pretty relevant now.

Seriously...We got faked last year after we bought them from someone off Craigslist. Meet the person, No money till you get the tickets, and be careful and you should be ok.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    How long after the official schedule goes up does the Guidebook app come out? (Estimated time, obviously)

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    How long after the official schedule goes up does the Guidebook app come out? (Estimated time, obviously)
    This week somtime acording to the offical twitter. As for when this week who know. The hype is killing me.

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Agent00Agent00 Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    When badges are out, you will know. Everyone will be posting about it on every social network imaginable.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Axon wrote: »
    Any news on badges?

the pax twitter recently mentioned that badges should be arriving about 2 weeks before pax, which is also when they have been out previous years. it would be reasonable to expect them next week.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    3 weeks left to get ready. Permission to panic?

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Axon wrote: »
    Any news on badges?

the pax twitter recently mentioned that badges should be arriving about 2 weeks before pax, which is also when they have been out previous years. it would be reasonable to expect them next week.

thanks. sorry, I can't keep track of time :P

• Options
    I would guess that they will begin being *sent* next week. That doesn't mean anyone will get them next week. Also keep in mind that they go out in waves, and not based on location. If your neighbor gets his, that doesn't mean yours is lost somewhere.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I would guess that they will begin being *sent* next week. That doesn't mean anyone will get them next week. Also keep in mind that they go out in waves, and not based on location. If your neighbor gets his, that doesn't mean yours is lost somewhere.

i suppose you are correct, depending on shipping times. the twitter said specifically: "PAX East Badges should begin mailing 2-3 weeks before the show." technically we are at three weeks right now, but just barely and it's nearing the end of the week and all... regardless, i don't think it would be too crazy to start keeping your eyes peeled very soon.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    3 weeks left to get ready. Permission to panic?

Not yet...wait for it...wait for it...

As for the setup/teardown for non-enforcers...if emailing initially doesn't work, you could try bribing PRD...

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Coan wrote: »
    As for the setup/teardown for non-enforcers...if emailing initially doesn't work, you could try bribing PRD...

I wouldn't recommend non-enforcers emailing (or bribing) PRD about setup/teardown. Only Enforcers are able to access the building anyways before or after PAX, so if you're not an Enforcer, unfortunately, setup/teardown is not an available activity.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    KhonaaKhonaa Registered User new member
    Do the passes come with a lanyard or will I need to purchase one?

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Khonaa wrote: »

You get your lanyard when you get to PAX, or you can bring one if you want. I'll be bringing my Sonic Adventure 2 one from PAX Prime because I'm fucking awesome!

• Options
    AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    Quick question, or actually just a concern I have. The next week they'll begin to send the badges. I live in Argentina and usually mail takes around two weeks to get here. Two weeks after next week is...PAX. I mean, I'm leaving on the 21st I think. What do I do if I don't have my badges? Should I ask somedoby now to send them as soon as possible?

• Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    Quick question, or actually just a concern I have. The next week they'll begin to send the badges. I live in Argentina and usually mail takes around two weeks to get here. Two weeks after next week is...PAX. I mean, I'm leaving on the 21st I think. What do I do if I don't have my badges? Should I ask somedoby now to send them as soon as possible?

You could probably just send an email to pax_questions@paxsite.com and explain to them your situatuon. They will probably be able to hold your pass for you at will call so you can just pick it up there.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013

International badges are sent via Fedex, and I'd imagine they'd be among the first badges to go out, so I wouldn't worry about them showing up after PAX. Now if for some reason the passes don't show up, e-mail the address above and bring a printed out copy of your registration confirmation that has the barcode so that you can pick up replacements from Will Call.
    Khonaa wrote: »

As Craig said, we do have lanyards available for pickup, however they will most certainly be quite cheap. If you have a halfway decent one, bring it. Although next time you should rock a Knitted Steel lanyard #shamelessenforcerplug

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Also the international badges are only FedExed to you if you paid for it specifically. Otherwise they are held at Will Call by default.

• Options
    Sir AurosSir Auros Registered User regular
    Didn't see a dedicated thread for Magic yet, but TJ Collectibles has their PAX East MTG event schedule up here. I expect they'll start their own thread later, but just in case anyone else is as interested in planning around these events as I am, I figured I'd share.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Any advice on affordable parking? Preferably near Logan airport or near BCEC? $34/day at the Boston Logan Hilton is a bit pricey to pull off. :/

• Options
    Red RegexRed Regex Visioneer, Red Foe Games MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Any advice on affordable parking? Preferably near Logan airport or near BCEC? $34/day at the Boston Logan Hilton is a bit pricey to pull off. :/
    If "accessible" is as good as "close", 15 minutes away overnight parking at Alewife Station is $8, and from there you can take the T to/from BCEC for $2-$2.50. I used to drive in from the west and just leave my car parked there the whole time - during the day getting around on the T is easier than driving, and most people partying after 1AM when it shuts down should be in a cab anyway :)

• Options
    MaawdawgMaawdawg CT, USARegistered User regular
    There is cheap parking around the BCEC. The past two years I have parked a few blocks towards the water for $12 a day. The lot is right across from Atlantic Beer Garden and you just cross one street then come up a set of stairs and you are on the foot bridge that goes towards the convention center. There is a Street View from google. That shot is from standing at the Beer Garden, the lot is just across the street and you can see the Convention Center in the background. There was also daily parking under the building on the left there you can see the entrance off the street.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlantic+Beer+Garden,+Northern+Avenue,+Boston,+MA&hl=en&ll=42.350711,-71.043164&spn=0.010863,0.026157&sll=41.500765,-72.757507&sspn=1.409054,3.348083&oq=atlantic+beer+gar&hq=Atlantic+Beer+Garden,+Northern+Avenue,+Boston,+MA&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=42.350711,-71.043164&panoid=9zgkJ61yUUODp0vQus2D9Q&cbp=12,188.91,,0,-0.01

I am not sure what either of their policies is for coming and going during the day since it is just an automated machine in the lot. I found that lot using street view around the area originally, usually you can spot parking signs and even know prices ahead that way.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I'll be going as an exhibitor, are there any limitations to an exhibitors badge?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'll be going as an exhibitor, are there any limitations to an exhibitors badge?

An exhibitor badge is essentially the same as a 3-day badge whenever you are not actively exhibiting.

• Options
    zgamer200zgamer200 Registered User regular
    Hey, this is my first Pax East and I'm only 16. Besides for the obvious things of no alcohol and no rated M free-plays, would there be anything else major I wouldn't to be able to do? Also, when does it open on Saturday? I've looked around and I saw that Saturday's schedule is 10 AM-2 PM, but saw something about the door's opening at 8, and I'm a bit confused on that point.

• Options
    MaawdawgMaawdawg CT, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Here are the show hours http://east.paxsite.com/schedule

The stuff after 6pm isn't on the show floor, but side events and the concerts. The doors open at 8am to get people inside and allow them down into the holding area where you queue up for when they open the show. At 10 they let that queue feed onto the show floor.

Maawdawg on
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    zgamer200 wrote: »
    Hey, this is my first Pax East and I'm only 16. Besides for the obvious things of no alcohol and no rated M free-plays, would there be anything else major I wouldn't to be able to do? Also, when does it open on Saturday? I've looked around and I saw that Saturday's schedule is 10 AM-2 PM, but saw something about the door's opening at 8, and I'm a bit confused on that point.

Doors open at 8 for registration and to let people get in line. But you cant get into the expo until 10, so expect to stand in line long time if you go at 8

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »

Doors open at 8 for registration and to let people get in line. But you cant get into the expo until 10, so expect to stand in line long time if you go at 8

You'll actually end up sitting in line for most of it, usually on your (3)DS(i) or Vita/PSP or Laptop/Tablet or smartphone or other device. Also, if you want to go expo hall first, get there as early as possible, if you wanna go see the keynote, just try to get there sometime between 8:30 and 9:30. If you want to ask a question during the G&T Q&A that follows, try to sit by the mic on the floor.

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Reading the older threads, in the past I guess they used to give out swag bags. Does anyone know if they are doing that this year because it sounds cool.

This space for rent
  • Options
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Reading the older threads, in thec past I guess they used to give out swag bags. Does anyone know if they are doing that this year because it sounds cool.

Yes they do for every pax.

• Options
    zgamer200zgamer200 Registered User regular
    Any news on the schedule release yet? I saw the latest two posts on it, but the 22nd tweet about it being released next which(which is now last week) was obviously inaccurate, and the tweet about it being released soon-ish was 5 days ago. Don't know if this is necessarily the place to put it but this didn't really seem to match any of the other threads.

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    Any news on the schedule release yet?
    Some of you may have noticed some server troubles we were having last week...they threw things off a bit. Sorry about that!

Right now all lights are green to launch the schedule tomorrow (March 4th). Hopefully that doesn't change!

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Woot! Can't wait for the schedule!!! Thanks for the update!

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Some of you may have noticed some server troubles we were having last week...they threw things off a bit. Sorry about that!

Right now all lights are green to launch the schedule tomorrow (March 4th). Hopefully that doesn't change!

*looks at the clock a little nervously* No, I'm not camping the schedule page. Why do you ask?

On a more serious note, the update is appreciated.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular

My f5 is getting plenty of usage :D

This discussion has been closed.