As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's tough being a Hitman

AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So I've picked up the new Hitman Trilogy set for the ps2. I hear this is supposed to be awesome, and everything I read about how to play screams awesome... but I'm drowning in frustration! Gamefaqs doesn't help, they'll tell you what needs to get done, but nothing about the how. I need your help. There must be thousands of hours of hitmanning amongst you.

So tell me. How does one not suck at Hitman?

So far I can see things I need to do, but I just can't get agent 47 to do them. Say for example I need to knock out a civilian and steal his clothes. I'm standing next to him and he's not alarmed. Why can't 47 just, I don't know, knock the guy the fuck out? As far as I can tell I have no melee attack unless I'm holding a gun already. But if I pull my gun the civie will freak out. And even if I can sneak up on him (ie. he's not moving at all) there's only a 50/50 chance that pressing the button will hit him instead of shooting him. There's anesthetic but it only knocks the guy out for as long as it takes him to fall down. Gamefaqs says to up the dosage, but how do I do that? The few times I've knocked someone unconscious I can't steal his clothes. Do I have to kill him to take his clothes?

Also, in the second mission (Hitman 2) I have to get past a whole bunch of guards carrying a sniper rifle. The sniper rifle always gives me away, but I need it complete the mission. So what do I do with it?

And what kind of places are good to hide bodies? The guards keep finding them and there doesn't seem to be a "jam it in the credenza" option.

All this and anything else you'd like to discuss about the Hitman series would be welcome.

SpidermanSig.jpg
AlienCowThatMoos on

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know about taking clothes, because I've never played, but I do know, for some reason, that to up the dosage, you hold the button down longer.

Me Too! on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hitman 2 was probably the worst of the series. Blood Money was probably the best (it's the one where they added the "jam the body in the gredenza" option). Anyway. You knock people out in Hitman 2 by using the anasthetic as your weapon and sneaking up behind them.

And for the first mission, don't knock out the civilian, go for the guard pissing on a tree.

Daedalus on
  • ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, there is no easy way to simply knock out a civilian in Hitman 2 without using the ether bottle. You use it just like fibre wire, and yes, people will freak out if they see you with it. As for the 2nd mission part.
    You start out next to the subway tracks. Head forward and to the left, up the escalators. Eventually you reach an area with stairs up to the street, and other stairs down into a locker room. Go into the locker room, where a guard patrols. There's a door to the right of where you walk in. Wait next to it, and he'll walk right by it. Strangle/ether/silently shoot him, and drag him right next to the door, and get his clothes on. Go grab the sniper rifle, and no one will mind because now you're a soldier with a rifle, not some dude in a suit packing a massive gun.

Also, Hitman 2 is the worst of the 3 games. Contracts is much better, and Blood Money is the best of all. It's short, but it's awesome. Actually, all the Hitman games are short.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There is probably a case to carry the sniper rifle in.

Also, if you want the real, good Hitman experience, get Hitman: Blood Money.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Buy Bloodmoney.
    Also, in the second mission (Hitman 2) I have to get past a whole bunch of guards carrying a sniper rifle. The sniper rifle always gives me away, but I need it complete the mission. So what do I do with it?
    Put it in a rifle case?

Couscous on
    edited August 2007
    There is probably a case to carry the sniper rifle in.

Also, if you want the real, good Hitman experience, get Hitman: Blood Money.

In Hitman 2 there isn't a rifle case, but the SVD looks sufficiently like an AK-74 that if you're in a Russian solder uniform you can carry it openly. Go get a uniform then go back to the locker.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2007
    And here I was going to buy Hitman 2 on Steam for $10.
    Should I just wait, and get Blood Money for $20?

Me Too! on
  • atkbobatkbob Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If the second mission is in
    Russia
    (I forget the order),
    you don't need the rifle. I played through all of Hitman 2 by just shooting people in the head with the Ballers/an SMG from a guard. Go into the building, and shoot the guy in the head.

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
    edited August 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    And here I was going to buy Hitman 2 on Steam for $10.
    Should I just wait, and get Blood Money for $20?

Get the Hitman Triology pack for the PC (from Gamestop, not from Steam). It comes with Hitman 2, Hitman Contracts (which is quite good and not on steam) and Hitman Blood Money. It will run you $30.

The Triple Pack on Steam has Codename 47 (the poorly-aged but still awesome first game) instead of Contracts. Not worth it, really.

Daedalus on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Hitman 2 was awesome. All you guys are dumb.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited August 2007
    I don't even know where my local gamestop is, to be honest, or if we have one.
    I know we have an EB Games, but not sure about Gamestop.

Me Too! on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Follow atkbob's advice if you don't care about things like score or getting rewards for finishing missions with the highest rating.

One thing that threw me at first was the difference between crouching and sneaking. Tap the shoulder button to sneak.

Valkun on
    edited August 2007

EB Games and Gamestop are the same thing. Also Walmart carries the Trilogy pack.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2007
    Hitman 2 was awesome. All you guys are gay.

Hitman 2 was awesome. But it was still easily the worst of the series.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2007

EB Games and Gamestop are the same thing. Also Walmart carries the Trilogy pack.

Oh, OK. The only problem is, the EB Games is a pain to get to, because I'm never over there.
    To be honest, I'll probably just end up downloading this, because my computer isn't that great, and I don't know if Blood Money would even run right. I have issues with HL2 sometimes.

Me Too! on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Really, skip ahead and play the first three missions of Blood Money. Once you've gone through that practice level and two easy levels, you'll understand the mechanics a heck of a lot better. Then you can go back to Hitman 2 and whup ass.

emnmnme on
    edited August 2007

Oh, OK. The only problem is, the EB Games is a pain to get to, because I'm never over there.
    To be honest, I'll probably just end up downloading this, because my computer isn't that great, and I don't know if Blood Money would even run right. I have issues with HL2 sometimes.

Blood Money was a PS2 game ported to the PC. If you turn all the options down to "low quality" then it looks just like a PS2 game and will run on goddamn ancient hardware. (If you turn it all up to "maximum" it looks like the 360 version).

Trust me. Get the retail boxed trilogy pack and not the steam version. Steam lacks Hitman Contracts, which is probably the second best game in the series.

Daedalus on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Go slow and scout everywhere that you can without arousing suspicion before moving in for the kill, especially in missions where you're not on a timer.

Don't use Gamefaqs, unless you're well and truly stuck on a mission you hate with a passion. And even then, my advice is to just bring firepower and start blasting away, which usually will be easier than the stealthy and discreet approach.

Don't start over because you get discovered, complete the mission. If it's messy and clumsy, replay it and go for a nice professional operation. When you can just breeze right through a mission and get Silent Assassin rating without saving or loading, and look good doing it, it's very rewarding.
    So far I can see things I need to do, but I just can't get agent 47 to do them.

You're playing Hitman 2. Shelve it and play Blood Money.
    And what kind of places are good to hide bodies? The guards keep finding them and there doesn't seem to be a "jam it in the credenza" option.

If you're making lots of bodies to hide, you should re-evaluate your approach. The challenge, and therefore the entire point of the game, is in sneaking around and evading these asshole guards and onlookers.

Tiemler on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish they'd hurry up and announce the next game, already. I didn't like the first three very much, but Blood Money was excellent. I still play a mission every now and then, and the Murder of Crows level still amazes me that they managed to stick in so many people.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dearly hope that, when we get a follow-up to Blood Money, it is possible to complete every mission, from the tutorial to the epilogue, if any, without firing a shot and without donning a disguise. It can be very difficult, that's cool. But it has to be possible, without relying on near-sighted guards or exploits.

Suit-only, 0 shots silent assassin rating 4tw.

Tiemler on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Hitman 2 was awesome. All you guys are gay.

OH god don't let tube see this. Nick is...er...was such a nice guy.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • pdk01pdk01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A minor touch (a glorious one at that) that was added in Blood Money is when 47 has a gun out around civvies, he'll hide it behind his back. Such a good feeling to go from semi-innocent to shooting people in less than a second.

pdk01 on