As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2013 BYOC Information

• Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    mijit88 wrote: »
    any word on when byoc competitions and stuff will be announced?

One -- "soon".

Schedule's done, just gotta make sure it and the PC Tournament schedule jive, and we'll do a mega update post with check-in / check-out information, etc.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    Cool, I just wanted to know ahead so I can make sure I have all the games needed installed and up to date to make things smooth

• Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    TF2
    NS2

• Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    Hey all!!

For those concerned about the games of BYOC the list is subject to change. But right now it looks a little like this.

Friday:
    Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (Early Afternoon)
    Artemis (evening)

Saturday:
    Counter Strike: GO (Early Afternoon)
    DOTA2 (Late Afternoon/evening)

Sunday:
    Team Fortress 2 (morning/noon)
    Shadow run (Early Afternoon)

There are obviously games that do not actually involve your computers (because, really. Who wants to be on a Computer in BYOC?) But we are not ready to announce that stuff just yet.

• Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    Hey all!!

For those concerned about the games of BYOC the list is subject to change. But right now it looks a little like this.

Friday:
    Artemis (evening)

Saturday:

Sunday:

There are obviously games that do not actually involve your computers (because, really. Who wants to be on a Computer in BYOC?) But we are not ready to announce that stuff just yet.

Looks good! It'd also be awesome if there was time to do something with League of Legends, it's one of my favs, and I know a lot of people play it.

8-)

• Options
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    Hey all!!

Friday:
    Artemis (evening)

Saturday:

Sunday:

Looks good! It'd also be awesome if there was time to do something with League of Legends, it's one of my favs, and I know a lot of people play it.

8-)

Yeah, there were talks about LoL. But Riot always does a good job support the show by themselves, I might come to eat my words later, but I think we made the better choice between that and DOTA.

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Hey all!!

Friday:
    Artemis (evening)

Saturday:

Sunday:

Any Blacklight: Retribution?

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    dota 2 gets me, ive never played because i play league and i know a lot of people the same way both games but should be fun!

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I've had DOTA 2 for a long time, just never installed it, just fired it up tonight, lots of fun!

signature.png
  • Options
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    Hey all!!

Friday:
    Artemis (evening)

Saturday:

Sunday:

Any Blacklight: Retribution?

I was thinking about Blacklight. Mostly because the majority of PC gaming seems to be occupied by Blizzard and Valve. But ultimately decided against it due to the number of people who play it. I work at a game studio and hardly enough people knew about it at all.

mijit88 wrote: »
    dota 2 gets me, ive never played because i play league and i know a lot of people the same way both games but should be fun!

itzerokewl wrote: »
    I've had DOTA 2 for a long time, just never installed it, just fired it up tonight, lots of fun!

I am pretty excited to see how DOTA matches turn out. I don't think people know how much fun it can be to even spectate.

• Options
    Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Unreal Tournament 2004 // Quake 3 (Live) ?

Tichinde925 on
  • Options
    Unreal Tournament 2004 // Quake 3 (Live) ?

Yes we need that again, so much fun last year

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular

Yeah, there were talks about LoL. But Riot always does a good job support the show by themselves, I might come to eat my words later, but I think we made the better choice between that and DOTA.

Yea, I'm sure there will be tournaments run by Riot for LoL, but I like BYOC, haha. The last time we did a LoL tourny at East BYOC it was only 1 game, maybe we could just do an impromtu game one night for fun?

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Exodus1 wrote: »

Yea, I'm sure there will be tournaments run by Riot for LoL, but I like BYOC, haha. The last time we did a LoL tourny at East BYOC it was only 1 game, maybe we could just do an impromtu game one night for fun?

I can confirm that there will not be a LoL tourney in the PC Room. If RioT does anything, it will most likely be in their expo booth.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    Anyone else have Artemis? My friends and I were discussing the feasibility of trying to run a few games in BYOC. If another group had the game, we might even try ship vs. ship.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Malfeis wrote: »
    Anyone else have Artemis? My friends and I were discussing the feasibility of trying to run a few games in BYOC. If another group had the game, we might even try ship vs. ship.

Considering Artemis is on the BYOC schedule, I would hope that lots of people either have it or are willing to get it :)

• Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    This is me, totally pretending that I read the schedule and never asked. ;)

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    4 out of 6 left

I have 6 Dota Key, if anyone wants one, message me with your steam name/id so I can friend you on steam and gift it you.

Completely free of charge. There is a restriction: Gift can not be redeemed in China.

Jonoseel on
  • Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    I have a 2 copies of Dota 2 on steam that I can give to people who do not have it at BYOC. I am sure a lot of other people have extra copies since beta people get to invite like 10 others to DOTA 2.

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    Not that they will probably be needed, but I have a few DOTA2 invites as well.

• Options
    GrillerdudeGrillerdude Registered User new member
    Damnit. I should have done BYOC for Artemis. :(

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    FWIW Steam was so kind as to remind me I have 5 spare DOTA2 keys as well, just in case there's anyone else on the forums that does not yet have DOTA2 :)

signature.png
  • Options
    no league in the shcedule, me sads...

• Options
    edited March 2013
    UPDATE:

BYOCer's - Do not be alarmed if your BYOC Badge is NOT included with your PAX 3 Day Badge.

We are processing them separately.

I will have more information for you, as needed. Don't be alarmed! =)

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Vapok wrote: »
    UPDATE:

BYOCer's - Do not be alarmed if your BYOC Badge is NOT included with your PAX 3 Day Badge.

So does that mean they have already been shipped or are going to be shipped soon?

Jonoseel on
  • Options
    UPDATE:

So does that mean they have already been shipped or are going to be shipped soon?

They have not been shipped yet. That's all I can say right now. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    UPDATE:

They have not been shipped yet. That's all I can say right now. =)

Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking! There is absolutely NO CAUSE for alarm! Thank you!

-- that should get them thinking.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    Hmm...so if they didn't go out with the regular badges, why did the reg people say I needed to pay for FedEx (4 regular + 3 BYOC > 5 badges, etc.)?

• Options
    Malfeis wrote: »
    Hmm...so if they didn't go out with the regular badges, why did the reg people say I needed to pay for FedEx (4 regular + 3 BYOC > 5 badges, etc.)?

I would happen a guess that because you still ordered a multitude of badges, that additional shipping applies. If you are concerned though, I would email registration@paxsite.com.

Vapok
  • Options
    I would happen a guess that because you still ordered a multitude of badges, that additional shipping applies. If you are concerned though, I would email registration@paxsite.com.

That's what I was guessing. I'm sure the ticket registration system isn't all that flexible. Not a huge deal, just struck me as odd.

• Options
    perfectbebopperfectbebop Registered User regular
    UPDATE:

Thank you. Just got home and saw my 3-day in the mail and thus am here now.

• Options
    delti90delti90 Registered User regular
    Was there an issue with the BYOC information email that was sent out? I just got it and it's blank. But if I view the headers then I can at least see what it was supposed to show.

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Same here. Just a blank email.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    got a blank email too

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Hrm, looks like the mailer was blank based on comments. The test mail to myself looked ok.

The mailer was resent about an hour after, so you should have received the correct email. I'll also post the contents of the mail in this thread later today.

Sorry for the unintentional blank email. Let me know if the second email didn't work out.

Thanks!

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Second showed up fine for me, although it was a bit confusing with all the mention of the Intel LAN Fest site, since we signed up through PAX registration this year. I don't know if that means the registration will be automagically done with LAN Fest and we will be receiving bar codes via email soon, or if this is just outdated info still in there from legacy emails . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Khadour wrote: »
    Second showed up fine for me, although it was a bit confusing with all the mention of the Intel LAN Fest site, since we signed up through PAX registration this year. I don't know if that means the registration will be automagically done with LAN Fest and we will be receiving bar codes via email soon, or if this is just outdated info still in there from legacy emails . . .

UG... That's an artifact. I thought I had gotten all of those out of there. My mistake. Nice catch. 5 people looked at this, and no one caught it!

Vapok
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Hey Folks, here's the mailer. It includes the removal of the following:
    "BYOC barcode that you were emailed and printed out (from the Intel LAN Fest site) (if you don't have it yet, don't sweat, they should be out by the end of the week prior to PAX East)"

That should just read "BYOC Badge" since they're mailed out ahead of time.

BYOC Information Mailer
    includes errata
    Hello BYOC registrants! PAX East is now only days away, and the following information should help to make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly. If you have any questions, please let us know in the PAX Forum, Message us at our unofficial twitter account @BYOC_East, or respond to us at pax_pc@paxsite.com. The main PAX East Penny Arcade Forum can be found athttp://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-east ,
    The BYOC thread for PAX East 2013, including this email is at http://tinyurl.com/East2013BYOC

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---
    If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

BYOC barcode that you were emailed and printed out (from the Intel LAN Fest site) (if you don't have it yet, don't sweat, they should be out by the end of the week prior to PAX East)
    Photo ID (You will need this to pick up your BYOC Badge)

BYOC Badge (That was mailed)
    3 day PAX pass
    Computer
    Monitor (Please no bigger than 24" LCD or 21" CRT... hopefully everyone has moved onto LCD by now)
    Keyboard
    Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
    Mouse pad
    Ethernet cable (20 feet should be sufficient, but it's better to have longer than shorter).
    Power cables
    Headphones
    Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to hook you up. If we can't, Staples is about a mile away:

Staples
    83 Summer Street
    Boston, MA 02110

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX East. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet while at PAX East, but the more time you spend doing something you could have done at home, the less time you'll spend having fun. Plus we have limited bandwidth. The first day’s connection is always bogged down with all of this, so help us keep the connection speedy and update these at home.

It is also mandatory that you run virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- PAX East BYOC Location --
    Lots of updates can be found on the BYOC forum thread (referenced at the start of the email), along with handy loading/unloading info. BYOC is located in Level 0 / Expo Hall B2 on the West side of the building.

--- PAX East Badge Registration and Pick Up (Is No More)--
    Ordinarily, BYOC badges are mailed out with your 3 Day Badge. For PAX East 2013, they were mailed out separately. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com or visit the Registration Desk/Will Call located in the North Lobby of the BCEC.

--- Unloading on Friday of PAX ---
    If you're travelling by car, pull in to the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be a security station there that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the escalator or elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0).

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:00am - 1:30am
    Saturday: 10:00am - 1:30am
    Sunday: 10:00am - 6:30pm

Note that BYOC opens at 8:00am on Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line so you can be among the first to explore it's riches.

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX East, please see the BYOC Registration Desk (At the entrance of BYOC). If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved. If you're in need of tech support, please see the help desk at the back of the BYOC room.

--- Security Information ---
    Of course, there's more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX East BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area (you'll have to check them out as well). We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room. If you have any security questions or issues, contact @Vapok, the Security Manager for the PC Room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent ipods, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also strongly recommend you invest in a laptop lock particularly if you plan on leaving your laptop unaccompanied while you rock out to the concerts. If you don't know what kind to get, this might be a good start: http://amzn.to/NoLpaw

--- Tournament Information ---
    Your Tournament Overlords this year will be @kmess and @codemaster.

All PC Tournament information can be found on the PAX forums, at this address:

http://tinyurl.com/East2013PCTournaments

--- BYOC Activities ---
    Your BYOC camp counselor/activities director this year will be @S7arbuck. He'll be in charge of making sure you're having fun while you're sitting at your computer.

If you joined us in years past you'll be familiar with the BYOC activities we run. Unlike the tournaments, they're kept pretty casual and serve as a great way to have some quick fun and perhaps win some prizes along the way. Although they are generally exclusive to BYOC attendees, sometimes they will be using freeplay computers, particularly for events in games that not everyone may have. More information will be available at PAX East.

--- Sponsorship Information ---
    PAX East BYOC 2013 has Intel Inside (literally) through LANFest. The room could not and would not exist without their support, so props to them!

LANFest sponsored by Intel
    http://lanfest.intel.com

--- Intranet Information ---
    Our intranet page will be at http://pax/ (The link won't work until you're on our network, of course!). Expect it to contain a Twitter feed among other social communication platforms along with Game server info, Schedule Info, and possibly some contest stuff!

--- Voice Chat Information ---
    We will have a couple Ventrilo servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo before you come to the event. You can download the client at http://www.ventrilo.com.

Game server address information will be available at PAX on the intranet site.

See you guys there!

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey Folks, here's the mailer. It includes the removal of the following:
    "BYOC barcode that you were emailed and printed out (from the Intel LAN Fest site) (if you don't have it yet, don't sweat, they should be out by the end of the week prior to PAX East)"

So glad you clarified the bit about not needing a barcode from LANfest. It had been so long since I registered, I panicked when I checked the LANfest site and saw I did not have an order for East 2013 (and 2010/11/12 were all listed). :)

p3HkbcM.png