As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Alcohol Exchange Network

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    We do?

Yup.
    Red Wine.
    Manufactured in Cincinnati.

Info from Cincy Winefest.

Read under "local wineries," toward the middle right of the page.
    Where in Ohio do you hail from?

Oh, Cincy barely counts as Ohio, it's almost as much Kentucky as it is Ohio. I'm up in Cleveland.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We do?

Yup.
    Red Wine.
    Manufactured in Cincinnati.

Info from Cincy Winefest.

Read under "local wineries," toward the middle right of the page.
    Where in Ohio do you hail from?

Oh, Cincy barely counts as Ohio, it's almost as much Kentucky as it is Ohio. I'm up in Cleveland.

Ahhh, one of THOSE people.
    Kidding.

I'm from Dayton, originally.. Just in Cincy for some schooling.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    BeyondFrostyBeyondFrosty Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    I'm bringing 4 guys through the duty free, so we are gonna stock up. Anything critical missing from this booze exchange? BTW, last time I crossed the border, I was 2 cases and 3 bottles over the limit and didn't get charged for them.

BeyondFrosty on
    what you are experiencing is a temporary distortion of reality...
  • Options
    smessmes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can bring down some stuff from Canada if anyone wants.

smes on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also, I'm willing to bring down some beer. I won't have a huge bag, so that limits me to two six packs.

smes on
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I heard you can get absinthe in Canada. You usually have to specifically ask for it. If anyone can get even one bottle that would be awesome :)

atray on
  • Options
    uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    atray wrote: »
    I heard you can get absinthe in Canada. You usually have to specifically ask for it. If anyone can get even one bottle that would be awesome :)

its 99.7% hype
    wikipedia wrote:
    ...no evidence shows it to be any more dangerous or psychoactive than ordinary alcohol...

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I know, ive done a lot of research on it. I still think it would be cool to try.

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I would not recommend Absinthe. It tastes like ass, and the hallucinogenic effects aren't anything to write home about unless you drink it in large portions.

smes on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I agree on both those points, but it is still something you dont get to try everyday. Since its regulated by the FDA in USA.

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    How regulated is it? If I were to bring some down and my bags got searched would I be in deep shit?

smes on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The law in the US is you can drink it, but you can not buy it.

The FDA controls the levels of the wormwood in absinthe so if it is sold in the US its not as potent.

atray on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Its not regulated that way. You can bring it in and you will be fine. The only rule is it cannot be sold in the US.

atray on
  • Options
    sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Im coming via duty free... I could always bring a bottle of Soju ( ihear it costs a fortune in the states and back home but here its 1000W a bottle =$1.10US current exchange rate).

Im limited to how much I can bring into the states... give me an idea.

PS. I just hope its not going to be confiscated once I hit a domestic flight :(

sycholord31 on
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I second and third this idea im willing to pay for a bottle or two if someone could bring it down!

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    RyainkenRyainken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will be bringing some of the local taste with me, http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Brewing-Company-1309.htm (Was better, until the original brewmaster retired.)

If someone wants to try and trade with some other beers from around the country, look me up at The Roosevelt Hotel, or get in touch with me at Ryainken .at. hotmail *dot*com

And Ill hit you up with my cell number so we can get in touch. I pref dark or red ales, Stouts, Lagers

Ryainken on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Im coming via duty free... I could always bring a bottle of Soju ( ihear it costs a fortune in the states and back home but here its 1000W a bottle =$1.10US current exchange rate).

Im limited to how much I can bring into the states... give me an idea.

PS. I just hope its not going to be confiscated once I hit a domestic flight :(

I'd love the opportunity to try some 막걸리, as I want to see how it compares to Japanese nigori sakes. I'd also be interested in some 백세주.

I don't know much about Korean booze, so my interest is mostly exploratory, so whatever you think is good will probably be as useful as anything. Of course it might do me more harm than good to add another interest in a luxury import to my already unhealthy obsession with nihonshu.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    After reading through this thread and the Sealab Party thread, I'm thinking I'll have to commit to bringing vodka of the flavored Stoli variety. Maybe I'll bring Pearl Pomegranate as well - it mixes great with Canada Dry. Also Bacardi Coco, which is way better than Malibu.

If I decide to make Crying Jamie's I'll have to bring Vanilla Coke and Stoli Strasberi. It is a great tasting, not too sweet drink that has definitely knocked people on their asses.

Maybe even some Yukon Jack for Snakebites on the rocks? Hmmmm.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    ZenbuZenbu Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    No one will stop you for shipping alcohol in your bags; it's not haz-mat, so it doesn't need to be reported. Just ask the attendant if they have an alcoholic beverage tag they can put on your bag so the rampers will know to not toss it around with reckless abandon. Maybe even a fragile one with it, and pack some soft stuff in between. You'll be golden.

Zenbu on
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So will any body be able to bring down some absinthe?

I was really looking forward to trying it.

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zenbu wrote: »
    No one will stop you for shipping alcohol in your bags; it's not haz-mat, so it doesn't need to be reported. Just ask the attendant if they have an alcoholic beverage tag they can put on your bag so the rampers will know to not toss it around with reckless abandon. Maybe even a fragile one with it, and pack some soft stuff in between. You'll be golden.

MUAHHAHAHAHHA 8-)

Hopefully I wont smell like a brewery cause the bottles in my bag break. Not sure about getting makoli into USA though (for some reason I dont have the korean text installed so I cant type it.

sycholord31 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Soularis: I'll look for some, and if I find it I will bring it to sealab.

smes on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well you can get the cheap stuff. 50-80 per bottle, which doesn't have the amount of wormwood (if any). If you want actual absinthe that's more like $150+.

So, I'm not going to be bringing down a bottle since it's so expensive to begin with.
    smes wrote: »
    I would not recommend Absinthe. It tastes like ass, and the hallucinogenic effects aren't anything to write home about unless you drink it in large portions.

Well the hallucinogen effects are more like a myth than anything else, but I do disagree with the taste part there. It's good, and I hate sambuka.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    While I do planning on bringing more then one variety of single malt, anyone interested in some Macallan 12 just needs to look me up as I'll be toting a fifth with me. I'll gladly exchange for some good trappist ales (real Belgian trappist, not American trappist style brews like Ommegang).

If anyone has any single malt preferences contact me, and I'll see what I can do, I have a couple of nice stores near me that carry just about everything save rare stuff like Ardbeg.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ChocoholicBut4BoozeChocoholicBut4Booze Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I'm driving up from NorCal so let me know if there is something here I can get you. Next week for work I will be in Ukiah, St Helena, Paradise, Visalia and Sonora. If there are any Micro-brews someone needs me to bring let me know. I know Ukiah has some organic micro's.

ChocoholicBut4Booze on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No booze inside PAX itself? D: I had the [im]Personal [de]Hydration Backpack all fueled up and ready to go, too!

Ah, well.

Oh, and a note for those looking for no-shit absinthe . . . watch out if you have a job where you have to take random drug tests . . . it's likely to make you pop positive. It's probably not a concern for most involved, but better to know ahead of time than to wish you had :lol:

I'd be in for some high-test sake, though . . . that's some good stuff. Most of the sake I've had cold, I wished was warm. Not much to trade for it other than what you can buy when you get here (I'm near Seattle), but I might be able to rustle up a case or four of Yuengling. The NEX gets them in regularly here.

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It pains me to quote this, but looks like border protection laws go against the FDA laws :(. Ill post some more info when I get it.
    United States

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, "The importation of Absinthe and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain Artemisia absinthium is prohibited." This runs contrary to FDA regulations, which allow Artemisia species in foods or beverages, but those that contain Artemisia species, white cedar, oak moss, tansy or Yarrow, must be thujone free. Other herbs that contain thujone have no restrictions. For example, sage and sage oil (which can be almost 50% thujone) are on the FDA's list of substances generally recognized as safe.
    So you might want to transfer it into another bottle before hand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#United_States
    In 2007, Viridian Spirits LLC released Lucid, an authentic absinthe made using grande wormwood (Artemesia absinthium), in the US. Lucid is reported to have a low enough Thujone content to pass US regulatory requirements.
    In Canada, liquor laws are the domain of the provincial governments. British Columbia has no limits on thujone content
    Q: Do I get mad or brain damage by drinking this Absinthe?
    A: No, its is first of all, maximum 35 mg/700 ml bottle allowed in Germany and else were. Second, that is a myth, made up by the French wine industry. Absinthe taste so great that it once competed out the whole wine industry, who used dirty trix and lobbying to get Absinthe banned, claiming one get mad from drinking it.
    http://www.absintheliquor.com/absinthe_faq.htm

atray on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Aside from the fact that you're not citing the sources for any of your quotes, the last one seems especially dubious considering the author doesn't even have a grasp of basic syntax let alone spelling.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So okay, we've got liquor, mixers, and pizza covered. Word is at least one person is bringing a blender.

Sweet.

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    updated with citations

atray on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so it's just some Swedish dude expressing his opinions about absinthe.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StealthStealth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, sorry but this may have already been answered (but I couldn't find it). Does anyone have a good reference website on just how much alcohol you're allowed to bring from Canada to the USA? Do you have to pay for it as you cross the line, or what?

(Yep, new to travelling)

Stealth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hope this helps.
    You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

*1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
    *1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;
    *a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or
    *24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4161/rc4161-e.html#P007

atray on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hope this helps.

That's what you're allowed to bring into Canada, not into the US.

I was trying to find that information the other day, but I couldn't wade my way through the US Border Services website to find any useful information for visitors. I imagine it would be more or less the same as the Canadian regulations, but no guarantees.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    StealthStealth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks Atray, that was exactly what I was looking for :D

Now, to find the most obscure looking Canadian beer... I recall tasting something called "Beaver Buzz"... Maybe that...

Stealth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    Hope this helps.

That's what you're allowed to bring into Canada, not into the US.

I was trying to find that information the other day, but I couldn't wade my way through the US Border Services website to find any useful information for visitors. I imagine it would be more or less the same as the Canadian regulations, but no guarantees.

yea, that was my guess too. Since I couldnt find anything else. The only other thing I found was something about a $800 limit per person, which was related to bringing stuff into the U.S.

atray on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Stealth wrote: »
    Thanks Atray, that was exactly what I was looking for :D

Now, to find the most obscure looking Canadian beer... I recall tasting something called "Beaver Buzz"... Maybe that...

Haha, thats an energy drink. Although it could be used for some awesome jaeger bombs.

smes on
  • Options
    SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not too keen on the idea of bringing heavy bottles of liquor on my trip across the border, but I'm willing to bring other items of Canadian cuisine. Anyone jonesing for maple syrup candies or all-dressed chips?

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ooh! Can you bring some ketchup flavored chips? I hear they're AWESOME. And a few Hershey bars - just for me. I am, of course, willing to reimburse you!

KaitouAyashi on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Wait, is there some difference between the Hershey bars and ketchup flavored chips in Canada that I don't know about?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.