As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Organized Crime, a [mini-Phalla]: Game Over. Mafia Victory

MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Critical Failures
Organized Crime, a [mini-Phalla]

Basics
This is a mini-Phalla for up to 30 players, vaguely inspired by The Mole. It will last at most 6 days. If you have no idea what a phalla is, click here for an explanation, then !sign up by posting in bold limegreen or some other bright color to declare you intentions. All the standard rules listed there apply here. The most important are:
  1. No communication (about this game) between living players and dead players.
  2. No using screenshots or other methods to verify information as being given by the host. No copy/pasting messages from the host.
  3. No speaking in code or languages unknown to all participants (apparently mods get in a huff about this).
  4. Do not add people (other than the host) to existing conversations. Proboards are a kind of exception to this rule, so recognize that if you accept an invitation to a proboard, your posts can be shown to future entrants.
  5. Invite the host to any proboards created for the purposes of this game.
  6. Do not, under penalty of death, edit a vote post. If you have a bbcode fail, suck it up and leave it.
  7. Please include the host (me) on all PMs. Okay, this isn’t a standardized rule but has become common practice and I like to see what happens behind-the-scenes.

Disclaimer: This game could have a rating of up to 4 Farangus. There are quite a few reasons that I can explain post-game. I’d rather not even hint at them now, but mostly it’s due to new mechanics. If balance is a strict requirement for enjoyment, you may want to pass on this game. Rend has looked at it, and given me very sage advice, but see previous statement re: new mechanics.

The Hook (i.e. important information relating to this specific game).
This game has two sides, with no neutral parties. The “village” consists of members of a crime syndicate, while the “mafia” consists of undercover agents attempting to bring them down. Each day, the collective will be sent a group of missions. Each player may sign up for 1 (and only 1) mission that day.

The agents (“mafia”) have the option to sabotage any mission for which they have a member enrolled. If a mission is sabotaged, the mission fails, and no money is gained by the syndicate. Each mission will also have a specified minimum number of participants required to succeed. If the mission does not have at least the minimum, the mission will fail. If the number of people completing the mission is at least the minimum, and it is not sabotaged, the mission succeeds, and the mission value is added to the total. The total gains by the syndicate will be public knowledge. Only players that participate in a mission will be told if that particular mission succeeded or failed, though this can, usually, be deduced by the change in the total proceeds.

If the entire group is suspicious of a particular player, they may prohibit them from participating in missions. If a majority of the players feels that someone should not participate in a mission, that player’s signups will be voided and they will not be able to sign up for the remainder of the day. They do not count towards the minimum required number of players for any mission, but are also unable to sabotage any mission.

The goal of the village is for the syndicate’s total proceeds to exceed a specified dollar amount (determined by the number of players) within 6 turns while outnumbering the mafia, OR to eliminate the undercover agents. The agents win in any other scenario.

Voting, Actions, and Other Miscellanea:
The deadline for votes and orders will be 9 PM Eastern (2AM GMT, 6PM Pacific), which is a bit earlier than you may be used to. Note this well because inactives will be strictly culled (2 failures to vote will result in your replacement or death). Each day, you must vote for a player in bold red. The person with the most red votes is killed by the syndicate. In the case of a tie, the person who had more votes before the tie occurred is considered the “winner” of the vote.

Players may also place votes of no-confidence in bold darkorchid. If a majority of the players decide that they do not have confidence in a player, that player will not be eligible for missions that day. You may use this vote on as many players as you like. To retract a vote of no-confidence, repeat your vote in bold dodgerblue.

Finally, to sign up for a mission, please indicate which mission number you would like to take in bold lime or limegreen. You may accompany this with verbiage of your choice.

The order of actions is:
Votes -> “Regular” Phalla actions in a logical way -> Missions

Clarifications may be asked in thread by posting in bold darkorange (or the inferior bold orange). To avoid unwanted interference, I will not respond to questions without this markup. You may also ask clarifications by responding to your role PM, however unless it is specifically about your particular role, I am likely to deny clarification, even if I would have granted clarification had you asked the question in thread. Getting denied a clarification in private will not affect the likelihood of receiving public clarification. If I do not respond to your question, I'm not ignoring you, I just didn't see it, so please ask again. To point out what a bad host I am, you may restate it by quoting your old question.

Player List:
  1. ObiFett
  2. GrimmyTOA
  3. jdarksun
  4. Invictus
  5. TheRoadVirus (Lackey) - Taken Downtown
  6. OminousLozenge
  7. Mill (Enforcer) - Mob Justice
  8. Baidol (Undercover Agent)Executed
  9. Farangu (Lackey) - Mob Justice
  10. Cayrus (Lackey) - Taken Downtown
  11. vertroue (Lackey) - Mob Justice
  12. Iron Weasel (Brother) - Taken Downtown
  13. kime (Lackey) - Executed
  14. Smasher Zombie Hero (Lackey) - Mob Justice
  15. blahmcblah (Lackey) - Taken Downtown
  16. bliss101
  17. CesareB
  18. The Anonymous
  19. Mikey CTS
  20. BradicusMaximus (Brother) - Taken Downtown
  21. Phyphor
  22. Locus (Lackey) - Taken Downtown
  23. premium(Undercover Agent)Mob Justice
  24. Retaba
  25. Cythraul
  26. KetBra (Lackey) - Inactivus
  27. Assuran (Lackey) - Taken Downtown
  28. Langly (Enforcer) - Lesson
  29. I needed a name to post. (Undercover Agent) - Executed

Reserves:

Narrations:
  1. Day 1 - Mission Assignments
  2. Day 2 - Mission Results - Mission Assignments
  3. Day 3 - Mission Results - Mission Assignments
  4. Day 4 - Mission Results - Mission Assignments
  5. Day 5 - Mission Results
  6. Day 6

Clarifications:
Will a mission ever require more than one "fail" in order for the crime syndicate to lose the money from the mission?

No.

Can we back out of missions? If so, how?

You may back out of missions by declaring that intention in
limegreen or simply by choosing another mission.

What happens in the event of a tie for the vote of no confidence?

The vote of no confidence is not a competition except to the majority benchmark. You may post a no-confidence vote for as many people as you like. Anyone with a no confidence vote from the majority of players is banned from missions.

Sample Villager PM:
You are a Lackey

You just do what you’re told. Missions come in, you complete them, and get paid. It’s dangerous work but it’s good money. You’ve got a family and they’ve come to expect a certain lifestyle.

Lately, though, missions haven’t been going as smoothly. You’ve started to suspect that maybe there is a mole. Maybe multiple moles. You’ve been in too long to get out, so there’s only one option. Find the holes, and plug them.

Victory Condition: Ensure that the syndicate makes at least $300,000 OR ensure that the group is free from infiltration. There must be at least one member of the syndicate alive to claim victory.

MrTLicious on

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    !Sounds fun

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    What I care about most, in a phalla, is balance. That's why this is not, and should in no way be interpreted, as a !signup for whatever disgusting thing you've miscegenated here.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Signup to be on the opposite team as obi and then i will trust that he is on my side because that's how life works and also he will stab me because that's how death works

• OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

Mill on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Only 4 Farangus?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Only 4 Farangus?

Or is that 400?

As an American, I have hard time converting to metric.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    How many farangus in an intermediate physics course?
    Can you convert farangus to megawatts?

How many farangus in an intermediate physics course?
    Can you convert farangus to megawatts?

CD
    Yes

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I see that my metric still remains in use. This pleases me.

I'll play your game, you rogue.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    is there actually some kind of translation for what each level of Farangus mean, or is that clarification denied? I'm just trying to figure out how bad the games I'm working on are...

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    Roughly speaking it's

1-2 Farangus: ObiPhalla
    3-5 Farangus: Newb Host
    6-10 Farangus: MrT Phalla
    11-20 Farangus: sportzphalla

(No, there is no actual metric. Units are arbitrary)

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Roughly speaking it's

What Farangu level is Faranguphalla?

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Infidel gave Farangu's last phalla only 0.74 Farangus, so the scale might be off. :P

I'm not sure I've actually been a part of a Faranguphalla.

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    Roughly speaking it's

Love this.

So many people playing now never experienced sportzphalla, though.

TMNT sportzphalla was my first game. I was so, so, SO confused.

TMNT sportzphalla was my first game. I was so, so, SO confused.

I remember that game mainly because I remember looking at sportz's spreadsheet afterwards. Seeing his spreadsheet made me realize why his games were the way they were.

After hosting my first game I realized how important a good spreadsheet was. Much is streamlined with a good sheeting system

After hosting my first game I realized how important a good spreadsheet was. Much is streamlined with a good sheeting system

Seriously. I've gotten to the point where I don't start the game if I don't have an excel sheet where I can input all the orders and the sheet has an output section with the death listings already formatted for the forum.

I've got a vote counter and have it auto color the vote "winner" red (factoring in manip). Still working on the power usage part trying to optimize

blahmcblah wrote: »
    Infidel gave Farangu's last phalla only 0.74 Farangus, so the scale might be off. :P

Or I've been getting better WHY DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THAT HUH :D

I'm not sure I've actually been a part of a Faranguphalla.

There's one coming up soon. You'll have your chance.

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    sure another game to show my sithy ways!

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
    Invictus wrote: »
    is there actually some kind of translation for what each level of Farangus mean, or is that clarification denied? I'm just trying to figure out how bad the games I'm working on are...

@Invictus if you'd like an extra eye on your material I'd be happy to help. At the least, I can tell you how many me's it is.

@Farangu helped me with.... my Dr. Horrible phalla? Maybe? He is good at advice, though.

Also I just now read the OP, and noticed we're playing Resistance: The Phalla. Hella sweet.

Remember that show "the mole?" I miss that show

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I want in!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited March 2013
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Seriously. I've gotten to the point where I don't start the game if I don't have an excel sheet where I can input all the orders and the sheet has an output section with the death listings already formatted for the forum.
    I've got a vote counter and have it auto color the vote "winner" red (factoring in manip). Still working on the power usage part trying to optimize
    Jesus. I've been toying with the idea of running a mini one day, but apparently I need to brush up on my Excel skills first.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    Remember that show "the mole?" I miss that show

Anderson Cooper is my man-crush.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    boop

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    MrT, I see your game is for "up to" 30 people, but your sign-up list is only 15 long. Is the plan to kick off as soon as we hit 15 players, or will sign-ups remain open for a set period of time?

Currently Playing:
    The signup list has been growing as people enter. 15 is the arbitrary point that it currently sits at.

Signups will go until 30 people or tomorrow evening. Whichever comes first.

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Oh, Sign up then.

edited March 2013
    @Mikey CTS get in here so our Dance of Death can continue.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Jesus. I've been toying with the idea of running a mini one day, but apparently I need to brush up on my Excel skills first.

I'll post my excel sheet for the mini I am currently running when its over.

It has a fully functional vote page and a good place to start if you are looking for simple order->results functionality.