As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Buttoneering - Event Schedule and Official Button info added!

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    When I am uploading the file to Purebuttons, is it the .psd file with the layers as 1. Template 2. my art 3. background? Or am I just merging all layers? I think I am ready to purchase. I just want to be 100% sure I am uploading correctly.

When I upload my art to Purebuttons I do it in .PSD format. Be extra-sure to *hide* or *delete* the template layer (that layer with the blue on it and all the measurements). If that template layer is left visible it likely will be printed ON your buttons, which you don't want. Just leave your final product visible and you'll be good.

fss_overall.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks. Buttons being ordered today and I'll upload to the buttoneering site as well.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ordered the three I needed to get and added them to the buttoneering site! Can't wait to get them and see how they turned out.

Cookie Brigade - Bonus Button
    Y2JHA8f.png

Ransim
    RUzw2uN.png

Robziel
    VDc47We.png

ransim on
  • TheBrawnyManTheBrawnyMan Registered User new member
    Both my wife and I are really looking forward to ze buttons! I just finished up our artwork and posted them to Buttoneering.
    My Button:
    Nick_final.png

Her Button:
    Christina_final.png

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Both my wife and I are really looking forward to ze buttons! I just finished up our artwork and posted them to Buttoneering.
    My Button:
    Nick_final.png

Her Button:
    Christina_final.png

i MUST have that carol button. love it!!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited March 2013
    Buttons ordered. Now I am struggling to fit the image on the Buttoneering site. Haha.

edit: Ok. Uploaded. Done!

edit: MAH BUDINS!
    8521519337_402826ed77_o.jpg

8521519859_00551cde79_o.jpg

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    ok time to see if i can get 50 more buttons before pax now. crap.

7US7VWW.png
  • Amoeba Amoeba Registered User regular
    OK, so I've been kinda obsessed over the visual novel/puzzle game Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and I thought maybe I can use one of the main concepts of the to make a bonus button game...

Ok bear with me in this explanation. So in VLR you're forced to play a twisted game where you faced against another person and each is given two choices: Ally and Betray. The outcome deals with how many points you can get.
    -If both players choose "Ally", each gets 2 pts.
    -If one player chooses to Betray and the other chooses Ally, the one who picked Betray will receive 3 pts while the other who picked Ally will lose 2 pts.
    -If both choose to Betray, neither will receive any pts.

So why can't I do this buttons? Of course rules would be changed. Instead of pitting myself against another person, if somebody wants to play for these bonus buttons they'll play against chance. Any challenger wanting to play would be given the choice Ally or Betray, than I'll have a coin that I mark A and B (head or tails really). I'll flip it and the outcome of the coin will be the opposing answer. So now how to explain how to get the buttons..
    tumblr_mj2qaxWyJV1rnd682o2_1280.png
    The chart shows what the challenger would receive. I'll bring 4 different kinds of buttons. The Default button will show the Ally and Betray choice shown in the game. The Ally button will be my cosplay avatar pic button. The Betray button I haven't quite decided on what it should be (possibly the renegade symbol from Mass Effect, because you do a lot of backstabbing if you go that route). Lastly the Zero button which would be a picture of the antagonist of the game.

Button Ideas so far:
    tumblr_mj2rprKs3n1rnd682o1_500.png

So is this too complicated... Reading it over it might be a bit too much to explain to random person. It would probably best be suited in a meetup or something.

so will there be a buttoneering meet-up at some point?

7US7VWW.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Traditionally there is always a meetup directly after the closing ceremonies. For cards the meetup was in the Westin lobby, for Buttons at prime it's always right in front of the convention center.

Since it might be cold in Boston, an indoor meetup is probably ideal for those of you who notice things like low temperatures. My suggestion would either be the Westin lobby or near Bandland in the BCEC (I assume bandland will be in the same spot this year, 1st floor opposite the registration desk, almost impossible to miss).

Oh, I almost forgot, there could still be meetings (in the same sorts of places) on Friday and Saturday mornings pre-con so that everyone has a chance to trade if they can't make it sunday (those are my suggestions anyhow).

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    I'm sorry I've been so quiet guys, there's about a dozen huge things going on in my life right now at a time when I planned for only one huge thing to happen. But that's why I made the website...it basically runs itself.

We do need to plan meetups, though. As Zerzhul said, ideally there should be two. A before opening Saturday meetup in or VERY near the convention center at a place that has breakfast (or at least warm drinks!), and then an after closing ceremonies one.

I leave it to you guys to hammer out a location. They both need to be somewhere that is open (or accesible) when the expo hall is closed, so sometimes things like bandland aren't a good idea depending on their placement.

I'm also figuring out where to allow you guys to pick up an official button. It's usually at the BYOC security desk, but I need to make sure that's actually accessible at East (layouts differ between PAXes). On that note, I don't know if we'll do an official presentation of the buttons to Mike and Jerry as usual, unless someone wants to be in charge of a corkboard and pinning them all on. So if we don't you get your official button for free instead of having to trade one like usual.

Finally, you guys are coming up with some awesome designs, and I'm thrilled to check in on the thread and the site every day to see how this is turning out. It's shaping up to be a very respectable first go at it, and I hope you guys have fun!

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    the BYOC desk is where forum badges are obtained, so i'm sure it will be accessible.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • metdennmetdenn Registered User regular
    Well, payed for template help... but didn't see where I got this help. I thought I did right by putting my picture onto a picture of the template, but now I think that means I will have a button with the friggin' template. I sent a message to cancel my order to fix it, not to mention the pax discount disappeared off my receipt. BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So I decided to make a bonus button as well:
    bonusbutton.jpg

Delaney on
    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    metdenn wrote: »
    Well, payed for template help... but didn't see where I got this help. I thought I did right by putting my picture onto a picture of the template, but now I think that means I will have a button with the friggin' template. I sent a message to cancel my order to fix it, not to mention the pax discount disappeared off my receipt. BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Paying for template help means "I have a picture, but don't know how to crop or resize to get it aligned with the template, so do that for me". Assuming you can't use photshop, if you have a square the same size as the jpeg template, and everything seems lined up right, you did it right and don't need help.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • KomiKomi Registered User regular
    Delaney wrote: »
    So I decided to make a bonus button as well:
    bonusbutton.jpg

Ohhhh man, I gotta have this one. That's excellent. I'm adding you to my list of people to hunt down.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    metdenn wrote: »

They are pretty good about catching stuff that is obviously a mistake. You can always send them an email to double check though.

• bschorybschory Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    Just decided to look through the forums about East today (so excited!) and found this thread. I now have an order in for a fresh set of buttons, expedited a bit to get here in time.

This is all the awesome.

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Just in case more people want to participate but are worried about being too late due to the very long turn-around with some companies, I'd suggest checking out wackybuttons.com. They're whom I'm trying since the prices were good and they have an online button design capability. Buttons ship the day after they receive payment (so use a credit card or a Paypal balance) with an additional 2-4 days needed for mailing (USPS). There's still time!

(Note: I'm in no way affiliated with the site; just a new customer.)

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Delaney I used Wackybuttons too and was VERY happy. Turnaround time was FAST and prices were good. And turnaround times can be faster if you grease their hands with some extra cash.
    the buttons came out nice too.

Khaytor on
  • ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    Oh buttons, so many buttons. Just put in my order on purebuttons, I think there's enough time for them to arrive with normal shipping.

My avatar is the design.
    Glad I decided to start reading the forums (although I blame bschory for turning me on to this...)!

fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
  • zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    ok time to see if i can get 50 more buttons before pax now. crap.
    Ditto, only ordered 50. Will place another order for 50 later today.

Should have just got 100 on the initial order. meh 8-)

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • KomiKomi Registered User regular
    The buttons, they have arrived. Pretty happy with how they turned out.
    1zkqga.jpg

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    My buttons showed up today too. Colors got a little futzed, so Rainbow Dash blends into the background a bit, but I'm still happy with them. I'll take pictures laters.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Just added two new designs to the site, one is my girlfriend's button, this other is a bonus button!

Girlfriend's button - http://cdn2.media.buttoneering.org/production/pictures/652/medium/megaman.png?1362543062

Bonus button - http://cdn1.media.buttoneering.org/production/pictures/651/medium/pax-button2.png?1362543028

Bonus button criteria - You must ask me "Will you be my frienderman?"

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

• psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    Note to self: Go through posts later today and create cheat sheet of bonus button criteria. Add cheat sheet to PAX materials.

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    feel free to share that cheat sheet. :winky:

7US7VWW.png
  • bschorybschory Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    Now that the schedule is out and we're getting excitingly close, have we decided on when to do (a) meet-up(s)?

I'm in to the idea of doing the post omegathon/show close meet-up near bandland (general area of the main entrance to the convention center).

Anyone have any thoughts on a good place to do one before the show opens on Saturday as suggested? Do we just want to do it in the Westin lobby where it's warm and likely to be full of other attendees?

• DadyWarbucks006DadyWarbucks006 PittsburghRegistered User regular
    We're running a booth, and we really want to hand out buttons. We have a few designs locked and loaded, but we're a little concerned about trademarks/copyrights. It looks like about 50% of the buttons on the Buttoneering site have some form of that, so I'm guessing it's not really an issue. Can anyone provide guidance on this? We have a few designs that are original artwork, but most of our ideas incorporate pre-existing nerdy stuff.

edited March 2013
    We're running a booth, and we really want to hand out buttons. We have a few designs locked and loaded, but we're a little concerned about trademarks/copyrights. It looks like about 50% of the buttons on the Buttoneering site have some form of that, so I'm guessing it's not really an issue. Can anyone provide guidance on this? We have a few designs that are original artwork, but most of our ideas incorporate pre-existing nerdy stuff.

If you're not selling the buttons it's usually cool. I'm not an expert on copyright law, but, generally if you aren't going to make a profit on it and it's small scale like this it's kosher, if not entirely, clear-cut legal.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Edit: Oh yeah, what booth, so we can be sure to stop by either way!?

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

edited March 2013
    Considering the buttoneering buttons are just for trading among community members, that's not so much an issue. For your business though, I would steer away from it entirely.

Also please remember to only include personal buttons in buttoneering. If you're handing out buttons at your booth, that's cool, but there's an exhibitor thread for that, this is for the trading event :)

zerzhul on
  • DadyWarbucks006DadyWarbucks006 PittsburghRegistered User regular
    ravnos13 wrote: »

If you're not selling the buttons it's usually cool. I'm not an expert on copyright law, but, generally if you aren't going to make a profit on it and it's small scale like this it's kosher, if not entirely, clear-cut legal.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Edit: Oh yeah, what booth, so we can be sure to stop by either way!?

We have a '15x'15 booth in the front lobby before you get onto the main floor of the show. One of our original buttons has the image that will be on our banner (see my profile pic). We're not actually a business. We're definitely not selling anything. My friend is performing a doctoral study on gaming culture, what makes people want to game, and how gamers deal with stress. We're just going to hand out the buttons as a thank you for anyone willing to take the five minutes to participate in the study. All of our buttons revolve around the "test subject" idea. Just trying to figure out which one we want to go with. Hopefully, we'll reach a consensus by tomorrow so we won't have to pay out the butt to get these things done in time for the show.

We have a '15x'15 booth in the front lobby before you get onto the main floor of the show. One of our original buttons has the image that will be on our banner (see my profile pic). We're not actually a business. We're definitely not selling anything. My friend is performing a doctoral study on gaming culture, what makes people want to game, and how gamers deal with stress. We're just going to hand out the buttons as a thank you for anyone willing to take the five minutes to participate in the study. All of our buttons revolve around the "test subject" idea. Just trying to figure out which one we want to go with. Hopefully, we'll reach a consensus by tomorrow so we won't have to pay out the butt to get these things done in time for the show.

Cool! I will be sure to stop by your booth.
    For on-topic discussion though... What zerzhul said.

fss_overall.png

• psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Known Unlockables for Bonus Buttons

coldbrew - probably just hand out, prime '11 extras
    peasantdave - trade a button/card
    lady lilybell - Requirement: President Skroob's salute
    psychopez - answer battletoads trivia, or, sing and dance to the battletoads pause music (note: You must know and sing the pause music yourself)
    ravnos13 - You must ask me "Will you be my frienderman?"
    ransim/cookie brigade - sing Share it Maybe AND donate to Child's Play. Like, a lot. BUTTONS FOR THE BUTTON GOD who BUTTONS FOR THE KIDS!
    redfield85 - tell me what "Ohana" means. Or just ask for my bonus button.
    scottyb1218 - Correctly name the year Ultimate Online was released, and you'll get my bonus button.

Secret Unlockables for Bonus Buttons

delaney
    metafolly
    feroh
    jobiwankenobi

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    RichSoCash wrote: »

I thought I'd maybe expand the buttons I bring to EAST. A lot of people at Prime liked the creeper, wondering what people think of these. Gotta figure out how many to make.
    J2I32T4.jpg

Those buttons are pretty fantastic! I wish I'd thought of that. I think I have to bow out of doing this for Pax East so I can do epic ones for PAX Prime

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    bschory wrote: »
    Now that the schedule is out and we're getting excitingly close, have we decided on when to do (a) meet-up(s)?

I'm in to the idea of doing the post omegathon/show close meet-up near bandland (general area of the main entrance to the convention center).

Anyone have any thoughts on a good place to do one before the show opens on Saturday as suggested? Do we just want to do it in the Westin lobby where it's warm and likely to be full of other attendees?

I believe there is going to be a gaming night again at the Westin on Thursday night, might be a good chance to meet up. I will be there for Cookie Brigade set up myself. It was incredibly popular last year.

As for unlocking the cookie brigade bonus button, they will be available through brigadiers and each brigadier will have their own rules for how to obtain one.

I will personally give one to anyone who sings me something from Share it Maybe. Well or people who donate to Child's Play. :)

My bonus button....just tell me what "Ohana" means. Or just ask for my bonus button. ;)

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Rabid DogRabid Dog Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    My bonus button....just tell me what "Ohana" means. Or just ask for my bonus button. ;)

If Stitch is on your bonus button, I must find you and obtain one!

• scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Correctly name the year Ultima Online was released, and you'll get my bonus button. :D

scottyb1218 on
    sig.php?id=222
This discussion has been closed.