As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Anyone read Age of Ultron yet? What's the initial verdict?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I liked it. It's very much a post-apocalyptic survival story. Hawkeye is full-on killing dudes, but that is because the world is kind of garbage and it doesn't matter at this point.

The ending was an odd note to close on, but it isn't a big deal since we get issue 2 next week.

CYpGAPn.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I liked it. It's very much a post-apocalyptic survival story. Hawkeye is full-on killing dudes, but that is because the world is kind of garbage and it doesn't matter at this point.

Now I'm semi-wishing that there was an Age Of Ultron tie-in issue of Hawkeye, mainly since that would allow Tracksuit Ultrons to exist, bro.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Yeah, that reveal is a really great example of Hickman being awesome.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Age of Ultron was a pretty solid start. Nicely introduces us to the world and the consequences Ultrons victory has had on the surviving characters.

Quire.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    AoU #1 was indeed :^: :^:
    I'm sold.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    also my boy Clint is da bes

as it ever was, as it should be.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    man this latest issue of avengers was a real downer

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I was seriously expecting something different to happen at the end

Seriously, Hickman is one of the few writers to leave me perpetually excited/depressed in some weird emotional balancing act.

Gatsby on
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Yeah, those were some great fakeouts for potential Starbrand/Justice/Spitfire power wielders.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hickman has a master plan. If nothing else, his Secret Warriors has taught me that. That was a book that the revelations at the end of the series once all the cards were on the table made ever previous issue a very different experience when read a second time.

I like the fact that Hickman hides things from the reader while still laying all the required parts and pieces for when the reveals actually happen. And Avengers is continuing this storytelling technique so... yep, I'm going to stay strapped in and being hype.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Avengers Arena #6
    Kid Briton, thy ain't how to get a"head" in life!

Alt comment:
    Anachronism Wins. FATALITY.

Also, trigger scent, who wasn't expecting to see that eventually?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    he's here all week, folks!

Elderlycrawfish that is
    Kid Briton, not so much.

I didn't expect Katy's plan to blow up in her face quite so soon, now that everyone knows she's been out for blood since the start.

Bloodstone with a big-ass gun hell yes.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Avengers season 1 a new story or something I missed a while ago?

steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's a new retelling of how the Avengers came together

• Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Hmm...any good? Worth the $20 anyway?

steam_sig.png
    Well, it just came out last week, and I haven't seen anybody talking about it. Peter David is normally pretty good as a writer, though.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    The free Murder World issue defs got me to grab te second issue. What a rad book!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Can we just take a moment to discuss how rad Avengers Arena is? I'm really digging it.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    i'm afraid we can't, all moments are reserved for fellating Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Avengers Arena is great, although it makes me wish that Hopeless had been writing a Braddock Academy book before this happened, because those characters are awesome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    So Avengers Arena is something people should be reading? These forums seem to have done a complete 180 in regards to that book since it was announced.

personally i think the characterization is poor and doesn't live up to Hopeless's promise that it wouldn't just be teens slaughtering each other.

• DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Some parts do leave you wondering if there is more to it but yeah a lot of it is kids slaughtering each other. The thing that has me still is that we have yet to see any response from the rest of the world save the notification in Wolverine's office of them canceling the game with the bradock academy (theres a wirtten in note that some of their students have dissappeared). as far as the individuals missing I can see no one looking for them, Darkhawk, the runaways, cammi, death locket. However the one's from schools like the avengers and braddock academies I figured we would get some kinda of one or two page add in of people trying to do something to find them.

I'm confused how 2 deaths in 6 issues, one of which was done by Aracde himself amounts to "kids slaughtering each other"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sinogue wrote: »
    So Avengers Arena is something people should be reading? These forums seem to have done a complete 180 in regards to that book since it was announced.

The people who really really hated the idea of the book still hate it, but there are quite a few people here who gave it a shot and it's been excellent so far. The new Braddock kids are great, Hopeless is writing Nico and Chase better than anyone has in years, and he's writing the Avengers Academy kids (Hazmat, X-23, and Reptil) even better than Gage did, and I liked Avengers Academy!

The only part of the book I don't particularly care for is Cammi but I didnt like her beforehand anyway so thats to be expected.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I'm confused how 2 deaths in 6 issues, one of which was done by Aracde himself amounts to "kids slaughtering each other"

Well, three.
    Mettle, Red Raven, and Kid Briton

edited March 2013
    that middle one does not count!

but even counting that, still only one of the deaths is at the hands of one of the other kids.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Eh, the death from the latest issue isn't going to stick.

The whole thing is happening in Littleville anyhow, those kids are fine!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    And I'm as surprised by the quality of Arena as I am by Bendis being a perfect match for the X-Men books.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Yeah
    Red Raven's
    death doesn't count considering that character had no lines of dialogue and was created just for the story.

Considering the book is 6 issues in and only two characters are dead, both of which were handled very well, it is hardly a "teen bloodbath" or whatever. It's a really neat character-driven book and puts old and new characters in a place that you don't see very often in superhero books.

Also, I think the whole IT'S A SIMULATION thing isn't true, especially since Anachronism explicitly guessed that was what Arcade has done last issue, even if Bloodstone brushed him off.

We'll find out next issue anyways, since it's all about Arcade and we see where he got his newfound power.

CYpGAPn.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Sinogue wrote: »

The people who really really hated the idea of the book still hate it, but there are quite a few people here who gave it a shot and it's been excellent so far. The new Braddock kids are great, Hopeless is writing Nico and Chase better than anyone has in years, and he's writing the Avengers Academy kids (Hazmat, X-23, and Reptil) even better than Gage did, and I liked Avengers Academy!

The only part of the book I don't particularly care for is Cammi but I didnt like her beforehand anyway so thats to be expected.

I'm glad I snagged the first issue of Avengers Arena during the Marvel free #1 promo, since the strength of the writing took me by surprise, even though I still find the basic concept to be a bit squicky.

okay first of all
    i shouldnt have to say how fucked up it is that just because someone didnt have lines their death doesnt count

secondly
    juston's sentinel was killed

No, it wasn't.

And I really don't think it is fucked up to say a character that was created exclusively to be killed one issue after appearing after speaking no lines of dialogue doesn't really count as a character death.

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also, I think the whole IT'S A SIMULATION thing isn't true, especially since Anachronism explicitly guessed that was what Arcade has done last issue, even if Bloodstone brushed him off.

We'll find out next issue anyways, since it's all about Arcade and we see where he got his newfound power.
    I just want Mettle to be okay.

It's like getting upset over a red shirt dying on Star Trek. The character was basically an extra.

CYpGAPn.png
    i reactively wince when that kind of thing happens

so

sorry you lack basic human empathy blank

That's pretty harsh, Anti. Really?

CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2013
    Glad you can keep it civil, thanks.

Honestly, the death was pretty shocking simply via how it happens, but I don't put a character that is essentially just a name and a costume with zero context attached on par with someone like
    Mettle or Kid Briton.

But I forgot I am an emotionless monster who can't feel basic human feelings!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.