As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

'O7 PC Tournaments: Rules and Info

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A fear tourney would be fun.

Shade on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dave, you seriously need mod status to clean this shit up.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    babelfish wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    So... you are saying, instead of game variety we should just focus on CS?

Yeah... that sounds fun [/scarasim]

Sorry but I would rather see we have the latest and greatest games every year rather than doing a game from a previous year. With tons of huge titles coming out between this pax and next, im pretty sure that will be the case next year.

Honestly, I hope CS:S is supplanted by TF2. TF was always a better concept than CS, IMO, but with worse implementation.

The thing is, until CS loses popularity, it would be silly not to include it. And, just because a new game comes out, that doesn't mean it'll be good or draw a crowd. (See: Q4, BF2142.)

Hell yeah, TF2 is looking to be completely awesome, from both fun and a competitive standpoint for tournaments.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Zig21 wrote: »
    I would clean this up myself, but I seriously have no idea where to start with this one.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not certain there's anything worth cleaning up. There are a few posts which could be considered flaming, but nothing else here is really out of line, I don't think.

As for TF2 -- I'm going to switch to TF2 from CS:S the moment it comes out. :p

babelfish on
  • StormShadowStormShadow regular
    edited August 2007
    pNo wrote: »
    I'll deal if you guys dont' want to at least have good servers. Just means I'm going to be called a noob when I awp the hell out of everyone at this tournament... :\

rofl. pino ill also be using awp, and i guarentee noobs will complain about it. I almost feel like auto sniping just to piss them off. people that complain about awp are not good at CSS, they are noobs who play in those gay pubs with every "cheap" weapon disabled and no pron sprays or cussing (rated M game :P). its pathetic, and anyone who gives you crap for using it doesnt deserve to even have a copy of CSS imo.

StormShadow on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nobody deserves a copy of CSS, unless its a photocopy.

ThePimpImp on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd almost love for the CS tournament to be completely removed next year. It's always the source of a bunch of crap like this at any LAN I have been to. People take the game way to seriously.
    This is true of any game which is played competitively. In CS, however, there are more people who play competitively than any other game, which means more people to talk about how things "should" be.

Again... I was talking to Ghrog (read: HL2 Deathmatch/former CS:S admin) and he said he'd go to any UT tournaments in the area if there were prizes/cash to be won. Same goes for any other game in existence. The only differences are these: (1) there are more CS players; (2) CS is more established.

You're also missing that it's only one person actually complaining. I whined about some of the map choice and I talked a bit of shit. I never "threatened" not to play if my demands weren't met (though, everybody's favorite search company, Google, did just that!). I know it's pop psych, but you're just showing your insecurity in your CS skill.

Sooooooooo... wanna 1v1? :D

My insecurity in my CS skill? I don't even own the game.

TrainwreckX on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2007
    Zig21 wrote: »
    Yea, this thread's pretty much a trainwreck, but for realz....mod status here scares me. It's hassle enough keeping my own forums in line.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    Dave, if you give me a list of posts you want removed from this thread, I can get to work on that. There's just a lot in here and I'm not sure what should go where.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Nobody deserves a copy of CSS, unless its a photocopy.

Yeah. Damned stylesheet thieves!

babelfish on
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm confused: is there a BYOC area and an area where computers are provided?

smes on
    edited August 2007
    smes wrote: »
    I'm confused: is there a BYOC area and an area where computers are provided?

Yes, theres BYOC, a PC freeplay area, and PC tournament.

Intel is providing computers for PC freeplay this year.

There will be around 250-300somthing computers from intel there for anybody to come and play on.

BigRed on
    edited August 2007
    I moved a handful of BYOC related posts to the BYOC thread. I'm only telling you here so a bunch of you don't think I just deleted your posts.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• pNopNo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

maybe not this year nobody really fucking good has competed

but the first year i went to PAX i talked to a few guys who said they'd done shit high up, and that they were there with a team

maybe he was lieing, but that's what i'm basing this off of.

Do you mean the team that got 1st? I'll tell you who was on that team at least. It was Zarg, Phiveye, Jarhouse, and Myself. After PAX we decided to make a team with 4/5 (Fallout worked a lot so he couldn't play), but we made a team (We picked up RCMP since Fallout couldn't play), went to another LAN tournament. Jarhouse and RCMP dropped a 0-15 and a 2-15 so we cut them that night. The next year of PAX it was, A CAL-M pug (Just after me being cut from my Main team for "cheating"), it was Zarg, Fallout, JookyMagic, eXt, and Myself. I was not in a good mood from being cut so I dropped 20bombs every match (I have screenshots if you guys want I can host em up).

doing shit high up... I don't know, maybe it was directed at maybe me mentioning I won CAL-O the season prior, and then getting 2nd place Main and getting cut after we moved to invite.

Here's a treat, I'll let you guys see why I was cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0qjuBAmXg
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Dave, if you give me a list of posts you want removed from this thread, I can get to work on that. There's just a lot in here and I'm not sure what should go where.

Just delete any post I make because it makes too much sense. :P

As for games, I'm really interested in Quake Wars Enemy Territory and COD4.... I'm on the verge of exploding with excitement over those games....

As for the statement directed at CSS always having the most complainers, it's because there's a lot more factors that go into the game than just 5 on 5. Quality of the server helps a lot of people make more shots so it benefits everyone when a server is good.

pNo on
    edited August 2007
    I'm excited about COD 4, never got into the other ones that much, but liked the idea/gameplay. From what I've seen of 4, this is going to be the best use of that style. Haven't seen anything on QW:ET, so I'll have to wait on that one.

ThePimpImp on
  • PanzeRIVPanzeRIV Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i for one have never played contra or seasons and would like to know if the maps are chosen randomly or as long as both teams agree?

PanzeRIV on
    edited August 2007
    PanzeRIV wrote: »
    i for one have never played contra or seasons and would like to know if the maps are chosen randomly or as long as both teams agree?

That is nothing short of mean to you guys.... I love both of those maps but I suggested neither due to the fact a lot of you would never have played them.

Don't get me wrong when I say I am not for the maps personally, I just find it going to be unfair for all the pubbers now......

pNo on
    edited August 2007

That is nothing short of mean to you guys.... I love both of those maps but I suggested neither due to the fact a lot of you would never have played them.

Don't get me wrong when I say I am not for the maps personally, I just find it going to be unfair for all the pubbers now......

Contra is mean. Way too complex to learn in a few minutes before a match. Learning to listen for mud and water, learning all the different ways into bombsites, and, worse, learning names for places on the map... they'll have no chance.

Season, conversely, is not too terribly difficult. The vent is probably the only part of the map that isn't straightforward, aside from a few cheap hiding spots, and knowing how long it takes to get to certain places. I may not be a great example, but I picked it up within about 30 minutes of just running around it.

babelfish on
    edited August 2007

Contra is mean. Way too complex to learn in a few minutes before a match. Learning to listen for mud and water, learning all the different ways into bombsites, and, worse, learning names for places on the map... they'll have no chance.

Season, conversely, is not too terribly difficult. The vent is probably the only part of the map that isn't straightforward, aside from a few cheap hiding spots, and knowing how long it takes to get to certain places. I may not be a great example, but I picked it up within about 30 minutes of just running around it.

Still, my point is being if you don't play competitively you probably have never played either map so it won't be fair.

pNo on
    edited August 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    question: Will the BYOCers be able to get in line for tourney registration before everyone else, since we will be dropping our stuff off around 10am? It would be a nice perk to be able to get our registration done early or at least quickly. :D
    I hadn't responded to this because it was a good question, and I wanted to think about it a bit. Sorry to make you wait.

Tournament signups will be open to BYOC people before the main audience. If only one person on a team is BYOCing, as long as they have the entire team, they can sign up their team to play.

Also note that in the past, BYOC signups have accounted for approximately 10% of all PC tournament signups, so this isn't going to be a huge disadvantage for the general PC Tournament audience.

There will be a temporary PC Tournament Registration sheet inside at the far end of the entrance.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    Still, my point is being if you don't play competitively you probably have never played either map so it won't be fair.
    The two non-stock maps will be saved more towards the end of the tournament, to minimize the chance of an inexperienced team being mauled alive due only to lack of map knowledge.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    Not to mention if its in the Finals part of the tourney, The team in question would have several hours to practice.

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Not to mention if its in the Finals part of the tourney, The team in question would have several hours to practice.

Not really because it will be more than likely that everyone will play the other maps and I'll just bunnyhop around Season/Contra and make sure none of you have fun. :\

pNo on
    edited August 2007
    Uh the CS tourney is split into 2 parts, at the start/end of pax that day.

so people will have time to practice if they make it to the 2nd part.

BigRed on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    question: Will the BYOCers be able to get in line for tourney registration before everyone else, since we will be dropping our stuff off around 10am? It would be a nice perk to be able to get our registration done early or at least quickly. :D
    I hadn't responded to this because it was a good question, and I wanted to think about it a bit. Sorry to make you wait.

Tournament signups will be open to BYOC people before the main audience. If only one person on a team is BYOCing, as long as they have the entire team, they can sign up their team to play.

Also note that in the past, BYOC signups have accounted for approximately 10% of all PC tournament signups, so this isn't going to be a huge disadvantage for the general PC Tournament audience.

There will be a temporary PC Tournament Registration sheet inside at the far end of the entrance.

And my understanding is that you can sign up for tournaments for all 3 days on Friday, correct?

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2007
    And my understanding is that you can sign up for tournaments for all 3 days on Friday, correct?
    This is correct. As a reminder, if you don't get in on your tournament on Friday, try showing up 30 minutes-ish before the tournament begins and hang out...there will be no-shows, and their spot could become your spot.

Can we move past the Starcraft discussion, please? =)

David Coffman on
  • Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Haha Disco you are right. I do play the box vrsin but from my 2 1/2 months of experience on shadowrun, alot of the pc gamers like the box controls as opposed to the pc controls, because ont he pc it is hard to shoot, run, teleport and lay down a healing tree at the same time. but on the box... it is just so easy. Shadowrun is no ordianry shooter. it invvles more hands than pc gamers can provide, but the box controllersmake it so much easier.

Err, what? :?: I remember when moving from Halo Xbox to Halo PC, there were so few controls to map that I threw things onto mouse buttons that I normally wouldn't. There aren't that many buttons on the Xbox controller, and with a 5-button mouse and plenty of keys around the movement keys, I don't see how controls could be a problem on the PC. You just have to take the time and map your own controls.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Haha Disco you are right. I do play the box vrsin but from my 2 1/2 months of experience on shadowrun, alot of the pc gamers like the box controls as opposed to the pc controls, because ont he pc it is hard to shoot, run, teleport and lay down a healing tree at the same time. but on the box... it is just so easy. Shadowrun is no ordianry shooter. it invvles more hands than pc gamers can provide, but the box controllersmake it so much easier.

From what I have heard and read, there have been multiple PC vs. Console grudge matches with Shadowrun and most of them end up with PC coming out ahead in Deathmatch situation. CTF seems to be a console powerplay area though, for some reason.

Either way, I personally prefer Shadowrun in PnP form. But I am a tabletopper at heart.

Officer on
    edited August 2007
    Shadowrun is a relatively complicated game, for a first person shooter. I mean, it's not Project Sypheed, but...you know.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007

I too wonder the same thing, can someone who knows please answer this. its abit confusing earlier in this thread it sounded like you had to sign up on the day of the tourney but now that the schedules out it looks like all signups are first thing friday.

PanzeRIV on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is correct.

Officer on
    edited August 2007
    sorry my bad i didn't see that

PanzeRIV on
  • Brandon HeatBrandon Heat Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    artifice wrote: »
    yay I like the scheduled times so far, gj!

also if anyone is a competetive cs player and needs a team plz pm me your info, ill pm you mine ^_^

I'm in! been playing since beta CS. cal- i and ogl experienced. I figure I should test my skills this year.

I'm looking for a team anyone???

PM if interested.

Brandon Heat on
  • qNovApqNovAp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Quick question about the bf2 tourney. Five maps are listed but in a 16 man tourney there are only four rounds. Is this a mistake, or is the map not used randomly chosen. Or maybe my math is embarassingly wrong.

qNovAp on
    edited August 2007
    Your math is right, I get the impression that they are using a different map every game round, not tourney round. I hope I'm wrong though.

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    One map per tournament round, but we let the teams have some say over which maps that are used. So if two teams both love map X, then we could do that, if another set of teams love map Y, that match could use that map. That's the map pool, it doesn't mean all maps will necessarily be used.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    This is good. Are we doing random team chooses side first? Or best ticket differential after 2 rounds picks side last round??

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    I believe the plan is random is random side chooses first, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    WEll if its random and it switches every round for 3 round then its a coinflip, if it goes to tix after 2 rounds to decide who gets third, that works best (I think). Just seems most fair, the team that performed the best over the first two rounds gets choice(in a tie obviously), but the team that was behind still gets that chance to pull off an upset with the other side. Now not everybody's team preferences will be the same.

LOL I'm still looking for 3 people for my team.

ThePimpImp on
This discussion has been closed.