As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Enrichment] - Show Your Work

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2015 in Art Assignments and Resources
Show Your Work
>>Enrichment Directory<<
math+work.jpg

This monthy challenge is an easy one. Break dwn your process, either by recording it in video, taking photos/screencaps as you work. The point of doing this is twofold. There is a lot to learn in watching another artists process, so we can help each other by showing how we get things done. We can also break down our own work and find critical flaws in our approach.

You can also find process videos for other artists and try to emulate certain parts of it. If you'd like to paint some patches of fur, or a trick for rending chrome reflections, this is an appropriate outlet. Just be sure to post the source for your study.

In this thread, you may
Post the process of a fairly recent work
Make a new work and record the process
Share other artists process work, and discuss
Mimic/study another persons style by following a process

This monthly enrichment is meant to inspire conversation, so feel to participate even if you aren't going to post your own process.

Inspiration and Resources

tumblr_mi4lr7PmV21qld9tpo1_500.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Eo_gnKVPG6c#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r5vC6bdYPVM

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012/08/digital-skin.html

Iruka on

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I'm making a cookbook, don't know how much help you guys can be but at least I'm contributing!!

screenshot20130303at100.png
    screenshot20130303at958.png
    screenshot20130303at957.png
    screenshot20130303at956.png
    screenshot20130303at955.png

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    tumblr_mi4lr7PmV21qld9tpo1_500.jpg

Hah thats kind of funny. I work with the guy in the portrait. Our desks are right next to each other in a small office.

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    @iruka would something like this work? (it's old but I'll probably try to do some this month):
    p0003.gif

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Siegfried :

Unless it is specifically a "Meals YOU can make in 30 minutes OR LESS!" cookbook there's typically a prep time indicated- unless that's rolled into the difficulty rating?

The black outer - white inner pots/pans read the best imo; they tend to reflect the actual colors of non-stick kitchenware, which bachelor dudes are more likely to own since it is available on the cheap.

If you're going to be using the knife icons to indicate "you should use a Chef's or Santoku for this instead of your Paring knife" then perhaps it would be better to clearly differentiate them rather than using the same brand (victorinox?) for uniform handles. I don't think I could tell the two knife silhouettes above apart at a glance if my knife-knowledge was limited.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    For the knives I was considering either making the chef's knife blade wider to accentuate that aspect or perhaps add a line to indicate the blade, making it narrow on the paring knife and wide on the chef's knife to differentiate. Really I'm just trying to make the difference between the two be "big knife/small knife" more than anything else.

I'll do some revisions and post em later. Thanks for the pots/pans thing too.

Kochikens wrote:
  • akanekunakanekun Registered User regular
    @iruka Is it ok if we're trying to mimic a finish (no process available from original artist) but break down our process in our attempt to get there? Cuz that's something I've been meaning to do with a lot of finishes for a while now.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @akanekun, sure no problem. Post some of the original work and maybe people can help you get there!

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Is Fraps okay for recording digital painting, or do you guys have some other piece of software that you prefer to use?

Flay on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I was about to ask a similar question-- what's a good method for recording photoshop demos? Something that ideally won't leave a watermark or fill my hard drive with obscenely huge raw video files.

And a good freeware tool for editing it while we're asking.

@brokecracker what did you use to make that time lapse video?
    This one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NiMHwFF_ARY

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Hey guys!

I used Debut Video Capture Software (lt should still be free http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html ) to do the capture itself, then speed it up and added music in After Effects. I think Debut has some editing abilities so you might be able to do everything in the one program, I am just more comfortable in AE.

Hope that helps! I will try to do another one with this challenge in mind.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ok I'll throw this up, since I'm feeling my way through this one. I probably won't take it to the really polished stage.

Pencils and rough inks

YJlapQA.jpg

screwing around with colour schemes

qmkWuVK.jpg

current progress, still just cleaning up

rcCmKRC.jpg

Don't know if I'm going to make it super clean (which will probably mean redoing the inks) or paint over the top to get a more watercolour effect (which might not work so well).

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    @tynic That is beautiful and awesome! Really love seeing how you got there!

@akanekun can't wait to see more of your stuff! looking forward to it.

@siegfried looking good, are you using InDesign for the layout?

Love this thread so far, I always get a kick out of seeing the process and would love to see more people chip it!

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Alright, this is still very much a wip, but I'd like some pointers still.
    hangarwip_by_emir0-d5x1r84.png

edited March 2013
    @m3nace, is there some early progress to show, or are you trying to emulate someone elses? Post your refs! or post your initial set up.

@tynic maybe just clean the inks on the sitting figures? I really like the energetic quality to the inks right now, redoing the whole thing would probably just stiffen it up.

@Siegfried I feel like its way minimalist, which I guess is probably what you are going for, but it doesn't strike me as having a character of its own yet. I feel like "survival guides" have their own quirky genre of illustration and information, it'd be cool to see that play out just a little in yours.

Anyways, I broke up the last thing I posted by layer, which usually is an effective process walk through:
    wranglerhunt.gif

my PS files used to be some 40 odd layers big. I've gotten alot more streamlined over time.

Iruka on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, woops. I'm trying to emulate the process of FZD as seen in this thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBChA-tkRLk
    aaaand I just noticed I've deleted my linework... yea

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    those fzd videos are amazing. I watched all of their environment videos a while back. Very interesting and fun to watch

edited March 2013
    in progress.
    lxSQOZH.jpg
    fWY1W9E.jpg
    Co9ok0Z.jpg
    WgSni1h.jpg
    cCxxyDy.jpg

I've realized that by using photographic sources for palettes that I end up with very washed-out environments, so I expanded on the starting palette. The glacier/mountains are leaning too heavily to the right at this point, so I'm going to re-balance that whole thing back towards the left 3rd. I'm planning very lengthy shadows to simulate near-polar latitude.

Molybdenum on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    demo.jpg

Alright, I've never recorded myself working before so I thought I'd give this a spin. I'm not totally happy with the result, but as a demonstration of my typical process it should do fine. If this wasn't a demo I might have spent more time at the end noodling around with bits that could have been improved, but I didn't want to have an additional 20 minutes of experimental scribbling in there (It's not immediately obvious to me how I might meaningfully improve it, so I would mostly be doing trial and error). I was most pleased with the feel of the face between ~4 and 6 minutes and probably would have tried to recapture that a bit.

Anyway, here's the video. Took about 60 minutes to record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1E4geDN0sI&amp;feature=youtu.be

Scosglen on
    Update on the icons, at least:

screenshot20130307at104.png

screenshot20130307at104.png

Kochikens wrote:
    @Molybdenum you may find an easier time if you work some softer, broader brushes into your process, Its easier to define meaningful edges if there aren't random ones everywhere

@Scosglen ever consider sticking a black to white gradient bar in the corner somewhere, So you can eye-drop from it?

Is there a way to make custom brushes that can be feathered/softened at will like the default round ones?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Could you be more specific? I'm about to run off for dinner, but if you post an example of the what the default brush is doing that you'd like to imitate I can suss it out later.

Are you blurring the stock hard round brush, or would you like to replicate the super soft default brush, but cant figure out how?

• kayjayelliskayjayellis Illustrator SeattleRegistered User new member
    I'll have a go:

I used Ray Frenden's brush preset kit for all the linework. SO good.

LbN0jT5.png
    yunDjkm.png
    QlbCtXc.png
    7A3m8iD.png
    BuHmLKn.png
    nHT15mN.png

Blam!

edited March 2013
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, Could you be more specific? I'm about to run off for dinner, but if you post an example of the what the default brush is doing that you'd like to imitate I can suss it out later.

Are you blurring the stock hard round brush, or would you like to replicate the super soft default brush, but cant figure out how?

I just want to be able to shift-bracket everything- that is, soften/harden any brush I'm using just by adjusting a slider the way I can with default round brushes.

Molybdenum on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @kayjayellis - I really love your inking, but your light sources are all over the shop by the end. Particularly on his face. Instead of going straight from flats to soft shading, I'd suggest breaking the image down into planes so you can get a good feel for what's going to be bouncing off where. Also maybe check out some resources for tips on hard/soft edge definition when it comes to shadows (eg. some of the posts Iruka has kindly been curating on her tumblr, http://artanecdotally.tumblr.com/post/42298519615/critique-from-february-monthly-enrichment-via , http://artanecdotally.tumblr.com/post/40700199889 , http://artanecdotally.tumblr.com/image/40700229936) - it feels like you're adding shadows somewhat at random.

• kayjayelliskayjayellis Illustrator SeattleRegistered User new member
    Sweet, thanks for the links!

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Ok. I made a start on the head that it was suggested I drew. I'm only just starting shading properly, but I thought I'd post the process shots for any suggestions in case I'm doing something horribly wrong :)

3132m.jpg
    3133x.jpg
    3134e.jpg
    3135z.jpg
    3136.jpg
    3137.jpg
    3138f.jpg
    3139.jpg

Draw an egg.
    Oh, this is the ref:

tumblr_mgbimj0f3Q1r0v3zro6_1280.jpg

As you can see, quite a lot more to do.

Draw an egg.
    Molybdenum wrote: »

I just want to be able to shift-bracket everything- that is, soften/harden any brush I'm using just by adjusting a slider the way I can with default round brushes.

Ctrl+Alt+right-click and dragging up and down do this faster than brackets if you can get used to it. I don't use the default brushes much anymore, so I guess I never got hooked on the harden slider. I would personally have a feathered version of your favorite custom brush and just switch back and forth.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This is Olde, but here are the progress shots for a figure drawing I did a few years ago:
    Cake_Figure1.jpg
    Cake_Figure2.jpg
    Cake_Figure3.jpg
    Cake_Figure4.jpg
    Cake_Figure5.jpg

And here's the process for my Phoenix piece:

Glare_Process.jpg

I'm really jealous of how precise your lines are! Very impressive stuff as always.

Draw an egg.
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Halen wrote: »
    I'm really jealous of how precise your lines are! Very impressive stuff as always.

Thanks! I used the sight-size method for that...something I took a class in right before I drew that. It's a slow method, but forces you to focus on proportions, angles, negative spaces, etc. and can help you end up with a pretty accurate initial sketch, as each line/angle you're drawing you're trying to perfect early on.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm working on a drawing right now, and I took a couple of pictures so far to put in this thread.

momanddad1.jpg

For this first stage I was positioning the big parts of my drawing, focusing on the most general angles, shapes, and where everything lies relative to everything else. The smaller things that are drawn in are there because they were useful in some way for lining up the bigger elements. There were a million lines stretching around connecting different things that I erased as I went, so you don't see them anymore.

momanddad2.jpg

At this point I let myself start putting in smaller things, and showing a little more character in what I already had down. All the same, as there were problems I noticed that with the bigger things, I fixed those as a top priority. Nothing is ever set in stone, and if it needs to change then I change it. Sometimes you don't see problems until you have a little more down.

I'll post more pictures as I keep working on it. The ref is a photo I took when I was 10, and it might be impossible for it to be a worse lighting reference, so this will be tough.

edit:

momanddad3.jpg

Before I start worrying about specifics I needed to sort out where in general I was going to be using the tone of the charcoal vs paper vs chalk. Value hierarchy, whatever. Putting this stuff down is a really easy place to lose track of the drawing, so I tried to avoid that while still keeping it loose and open.

lyrium on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    Some character designs I did up yesterday.

Sketch:
    process1.jpg

Lines:
    process2m.jpg

Color:
    process3.jpg

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    http://youtu.be/DP-y8oRePyE

I'm doing a fighting game themed character select screen of my fellow artists on Strip Search. I didn't get to record me painting Katie, and I already had a base sketch of Alex going when I decided to record. So here's a video of me just refining the sketch some more before bed. Drawing time was about 30 minutes. I'll post more as I go along.

Advanced warning: I zoom in and out a lot, and it might be disorienting at speed.

Here's where I'm at now:
    4QcUdt8l.jpg

an early layout sketch
    ZcoCBxgl.png

and Katie's finished portait
    CoU4QYGl.jpg

Mynt on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    @Mynt - Those are awesome! Are you going to do a complete set?

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    @nakirush - Thanks! Yeah... I'm going to do everyone... As they are put up for elimination, I'll do a character select screen and a vs. screen.

That picture of katie is fricking awesome. Have you shown her?

Anyway, I finished this (as much as I'm going to) - turns out you should use much nicer paper if you're going to shade pencil to black :)

3148.jpg

Draw an egg.
  • jwaddjwadd Registered User regular
    Hey there I've been doing this whole breaking down the process thing for my own personal site and blog. I have a gallery on the main page and a bunch of step by step how to draws. I'll recopy one here.
    IMG_0305-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0306-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0307-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0309-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0310-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0311-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0312-150x150.jpg
    IMG_0314-150x150.jpg
    and my process is light pencil, dark pencil, ink, erase, ink, pencil, ink, erase, ink, erase