As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX East 2013 International Food Exchange (How do you like your coffee?)

• vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    @tvethiopia, you are my hero. Lemonades are the best lemon cookies in existence, so I'd love to try some mango cremes! ...shall I try to bring you a Henry Weinhard root beer again? ;) If it's not too late, I shall wander my town with a wad of cash looking for dulce de leches. I'm south enough for that, I think.

• sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    man i can't wait for the meet up this year, i am almost looking foward to this more than pax its self

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • DKTheArcadeRatDKTheArcadeRat Registered User regular
    I really need to learn to stop being lazy. Just made this account after lurking forever. I live in NJ, so whatever someone wants from here I suppose. I would love if someone could grab a bottle of Pliny the Elder or any other delicious beer of very limited market. Just tell me what you want! Blueberry iced tea? Haha. This is all of course if I am not too late to the party on this. Ask and ye shall receive.

• MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Albedo12 I will be bringing Thin Mints with me.

@tvethiopia I can bring dulce de leche. They are selling them here in Jersey

@vicechan They are also selling Savannah Smiles here which are lemon cookies

MelSny on
    signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Since we're two weeks out I updated the OP with the tentative meetup time suggested way back when I started this thread. If that's kosher with everyone I'll remove the word tentative.
    Decius wrote: »
    As for stuff I would love I once again place my request for Irn Bru and Jaffa Cakes from the land of my ancestors; Scotland.

I've also been turned onto to this libation I heard about from Hawaii. Pineapple vodka? A bottle of that would be wonderful. 750ml if possible, since I also need to get beer home and be under my duty-free limit lol.

And these requests are still out there. I can pays you.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    MelSny wrote: »
    @Albedo12 I will be bringing Thin Mints with me.

@tvethiopia I can bring dulce de leche. They are selling them here in Jersey

@vicechan They are also selling Savannah Smiles here which are lemon cookies

ahhh i forgot about savannah smiles because we don't have them here. for those of you looking for lemon cookies, the savannah smiles are lemon cookies dusted with powdered sugar, while the lemonades are shortbread cookies with lemon icing. full descriptions of cookies can be found here.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    These are the ones from my area. I believe I will be bringing at least one of each box to share.
    ~Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating
    ~Samoas: Vanilla cookies coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut and laced with chocolate stripes.
    ~Tagalongs: Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating
    ~Do-si-dos: Peanut butter filling sandwiched between crunchy oatmeal cookies
    ~Trefoils: A traditional shortbread cookie made in the shape of the Girl Scout trefoil
    ~Savannah Smiles: Lemon wedge cookies dusted with powdered sugar
    ~Dulce de Leche: Bite-size cookies with milk caramel chips
    ~Thank You Berry Munch: Cookies with cranberries and white fudge chips

signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    MelSny wrote: »
    These are the ones from my area. I believe I will be bringing at least one of each box to share.
    ~Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating
    ~Samoas: Vanilla cookies coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut and laced with chocolate stripes.
    ~Tagalongs: Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating
    ~Do-si-dos: Peanut butter filling sandwiched between crunchy oatmeal cookies
    ~Trefoils: A traditional shortbread cookie made in the shape of the Girl Scout trefoil
    ~Savannah Smiles: Lemon wedge cookies dusted with powdered sugar
    ~Dulce de Leche: Bite-size cookies with milk caramel chips
    ~Thank You Berry Munch: Cookies with cranberries and white fudge chips

my area has:

~Thin Mints
    ~Samoas (we call them Caramel deLites)
    ~Tagalongs (called Peanut Butter Patties)
    ~Do-si-dos (called Peanut Butter Sandwich)
    ~Trefoils (called Shortbreads)
    ~Lemonades: slices of shortbread with lemon-flavored icing
    ~Thanks-a-Lots: shortbread cookies dipped in fudge and topped with an embossed thank you message in one of 5 languages
    ~Mango Cremes: vanilla and coconut cookies filled with mango-flavored crème enhanced with nutrients derived from fruits

so excited to swap!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • wrccitroenwrccitroen New EnglandRegistered User regular
    How much would it cost &/or what would be worth swapping for me to get my hands on some durian &/or Indonesian, Dutch &/or Japanese food & snacks? Feel free to message me! -Trev

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    @LexiconGrrl As someone from the south, PLEASE BRING THEM. I have never seen such things and they look fantastic. How's the mango habanero?

I'm a big fan of the Luau BBQ - they're fantastic but I got a chance to try the Mango Habenero for the first time tonight. And they're possibly the hottest chip you've ever eaten. I'm no puss when it comes to spicy food but I could only get through about 6 chips before I was done. My butt will not thank me tomorrow.

I'll bring a bag for the exchange, for the bravest of souls only.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    aikoe wrote: »
    For @ironysparkles and anyone else who might be interested in Great Lakes beers: I can bring about 24 beers in my suitcase. 12-pack taster boxes are currently on sale for $15 and include three bottles each of Dortmunder Gold, Eliot Ness, Burning River, and Edmund Fitzgerald. 6-packs of any of their standard beers are $9, including Conway's Irish Ale, which is still in season. I can also get 4-packs of Alchemy Hour for $10. I will also swap for whatever delicious goodies anyone happens to have on hand. If there ends up being an actual swap meet, I might pass out some alcohol "for charity." Of course, I will card. I don't want to get arrested at PAX.

ironysparkles, let me know which beer your boyfriend wants and I'll snag 'em next weekend!

If you have the room to bring them, he's interested in the 12-pack taster box!

UyhWici.png
  • vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    I'm really excited, too, all. Looking at the schedule, Friday at 2 PM at the food booth tables, downstairs (not the food court) sounds solid to me, too!

@MelSny, your contributions to the Girl Scout cookie hoard is welcomed!

@LexiconGrrl, sounds interesting! I'm a brave soul and enjoy spicy but sorta draw the line at ghost chilis. I'm curious about your favorite, but don't want to overload your bags with chips!

@vicechan i got you those chocolate sodas ... at least i think it was you who wanted one or 2, the smaller bottles are like double the cost of the bigger ones but i think they taste better

as for the girl scout cookies, i work at a grocery store n the girls are almost always infront of the store selling them and it drives me u a wall since im constantly trying to loose weight and right when i start ....they start selling

• KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    As for stuff I would love I once again place my request for Irn Bru and Jaffa Cakes from the land of my ancestors; Scotland.

I've also been turned onto to this libation I heard about from Hawaii. Pineapple vodka? A bottle of that would be wonderful. 750ml if possible, since I also need to get beer home and be under my duty-free limit lol.

While I am not from your native land, @Decius I do know of shops near where I live where I can acquire both Jaffa Cakes and Irn Bru. How many shall I acquire for you? What would you like, cans or bottles of the Bru?

Kirindal on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Jumping on the Beer Bandwagon here too.

Washington State has over 175 craft and microbrews. In my neighborhood alone, there are over a dozen (7 of which are inside a 1 mile radius, making for a most excellent beer stumble). There are way too many to even begin to offer specific brewereies here. Just let me know if you want something from this neck of the woods.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    I might be late to the party but I have my typical favors to ask of the overseas-ers (particularly those coming from Japan or the UK).

I'm a bit of a whisky nut and am after all kinds of delicious delicious beverage and would be forever in your debt if you happened to have extra luggage space available (PM me). Thanks in advance!

Washington State has over 175 craft and microbrews. In my neighborhood alone, there are over a dozen (7 of which are inside a 1 mile radius, making for a most excellent beer stumble). There are way too many to even begin to offer specific brewereies here. Just let me know if you want something from this neck of the woods.
    Just saw this too. I would also be in your debt forever if you were able to find some Pliny the Younger/Elder or some FireStone DBA.

There's an off chance I'll have some heady topper hanging about so I can trade :)

• DKTheArcadeRatDKTheArcadeRat Registered User regular

If you come across Pliny or any amazing stouts. I am your guy. Anything I can acquire on this coast that you're interested in?

• Albedo12Albedo12 Woking, EnglandRegistered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    @albedo12, you are a scholar and a gentleperson. I will look for some Thin Mints for you! I think they're sort of over hyped and there's plenty of generic equivalents. How do you feel about peanut butter?
    I like salty, crunchy peanut butter - zero added sugar. PB KitKats are full of a sweet peanutty goo, sort of like a Reese's cup. Bleagh.

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular

Got it! I might even be able to bring it on the train as a carry-on, but however I finagle it, he will get his beer.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • TrieneTriene Registered User regular
    Is there anyone who can bring Bassetts Jelly Babies?

Also, is there anyone who can get me some Japanese candy or snacks, particularly Puccho?

In return,I can pay, or bring some requested snacks for trade!

i just bought some mint aeros your welcome ....also i ate one lol

Got it! I might even be able to bring it on the train as a carry-on, but however I finagle it, he will get his beer.

Awesome, and thank you! Let me know if you're interested in anything from around New Hampshire - I'm already bringing a few people maple candies and maple whiskey, and we have some awesome local breweries too if you want to try some beer for yourself! Woodstock Inn is a favorite of ours.

UyhWici.png
  • cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

If you come across Pliny or any amazing stouts. I am your guy. Anything I can acquire on this coast that you're interested in?

My buddy runs a convenience store that specializes in craft beers and such. If there are any requests, I can inquire and/or buy a few. They currently have a special for "Make your own craft sixers" for $8.99 if you'd like a sampling for various different brews. Just tell me what you'd like and I'll make it for you, or we can make other arrangements.

zerzhul on
    Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    Speaking of beer swap, if anyone else wants Yuengling, I've managed to fit a case. 6 are already claimed but if anyone else wants em, they're there. I'd feel bad swapping them for craft beers but I could work something out.

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Since no ones spoken up or seemed to pick up on anything I've mentioned, I think I'll be bringing whatever seasonal Black Oak Brewing has available in a week or two (probably the oak barreled nutcracker porter and double chocolate cherry stout). As well as the usual ketchup chips. I may bring some british items as well since there are plenty of good local sources to pick up marmite and mushy peas (which seem to be in demand and could ease up some of the luggage space there.

I am still on a quest to find the vegan friendly dark kitkats that may be available here...i've yet to see a single dark kitkat with or without milk ingredients, but I've far from exhausted all my options.

Still have a call out for Stone "enjoy by" and Pearson's Salted Nut Rolls (for anyone from the midwest).

Still open to picking up anything specifically Toronto area/Canadian (like proper cadbury bars) for anyone asking.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
    @ironysparkles Woodstock Inn sounds awesome! Would you be able to bring Weasel Wheat and/or Kanc Country Maple Porter?

@Coan I'm from the midwest and have never heard of either of those things. Of course, by midwest I mean Ohio, and we are a freak state that doesn't really fit into the midwest or the northeast. The Pearsons website claims the nut roll can be bought nearby, so I'll keep an eye open for you. If I find them, how many do you want?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Kirindal wrote: »

While I am not from your native land, @Decius I do know of shops near where I live where I can acquire both Jaffa Cakes and Irn Bru. How many shall I acquire for you? What would you like, cans or bottles of the Bru?

Where are you coming from? Just curious cause the Irn Bru formulation in Canada and the US, if you can even find the stuff, is supposedly different. I'm looking for the UK original :winky: . As for containment vessel, bottles will probably travel a lot better on the plane ride home.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    @aikoe My wifes from Iowa and suggests they may be farther west, but not quite exclusive to the state. If you are able to track anything down, i'll go with a cap of up to 10, but really, any amount you're willing to travel with, I can purchase or trade for, just PM me a dollar amount or something you're looking for. Given she didn't really want to come out to pax so i'm spending hundreds of dollars without her, a few bucks spent on chocolate makes for a happier marriage. ;)

• KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Where are you coming from? Just curious cause the Irn Bru formulation in Canada and the US, if you can even find the stuff, is supposedly different. I'm looking for the UK original :winky: . As for containment vessel, bottles will probably travel a lot better on the plane ride home.

Ah, I did not know that about alternate brewings. I'm hailing from the U.S., but reputedly the store I'll be hitting imports all of its wares from the rainy motherland. They stock all sorts of things that normally can't be found on American supermarket shelves.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Coan wrote: »
    @aikoe My wifes from Iowa and suggests they may be farther west, but not quite exclusive to the state. If you are able to track anything down, i'll go with a cap of up to 10, but really, any amount you're willing to travel with, I can purchase or trade for, just PM me a dollar amount or something you're looking for. Given she didn't really want to come out to pax so i'm spending hundreds of dollars without her, a few bucks spent on chocolate makes for a happier marriage. ;)
    If @aikoe can't find any nut rolls, I'm from MN (Pearsons HQ is in St. Paul) and I'm sure I can throw a rock and hit some.

edited March 2013
    @ironysparkles Woodstock Inn sounds awesome! Would you be able to bring Weasel Wheat and/or Kanc Country Maple Porter?

@Coan I'm from the midwest and have never heard of either of those things. Of course, by midwest I mean Ohio, and we are a freak state that doesn't really fit into the midwest or the northeast. The Pearsons website claims the nut roll can be bought nearby, so I'll keep an eye open for you. If I find them, how many do you want?

Weasel Wheat is an easy find, and I'll have to look for the Maple Porter! Some of their beers are very seasonal/on tap only at the Inn. I'll let you know what I find! :D Maple Porter is a go!

Also: How many? I can get anything from singles to a 6 pack.

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
    @Coan - Holy shit those things are hard to find. After the first two stores I tried both told me they'd been discontinued, it became a personal mission to find that damn candy. And I did! There is a store 15 minutes from my house, where a very nice lady walked down the candy aisle to make sure they were in stock while I audibly fretted over the phone. I'll be dropping by there this weekend and I'm buying myself some to see if they're awesome, because I've now built them up in my head as a sort of godlike elixir, or at the very least a better version of PayDay bars. If I don't love them, I'll send them all to your wife, or pass them out to fellow snack swappers.

@ironysparkles I'll take a 6-pack of the Weasel Wheat then. You don't need to hunt down the Maple Porter! If you do happen to encounter it while out and about, I'd be perfectly happy with two singles so the boyfriend and I can both have one.

@aikoe that is quite amazing, you have my eternal thanks and my wife says a half dozen or so is fine. I still put an upper cap at 10, but honestly, anything is awesome, you're awesome. I don't think the nut rolls are that awesome, but to my wife it's a quasi local thing, which is always better than things that you can find nationally or something.

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I MIGHT be able to bring some UK IrnBru.

pax%20sig.png
    @ironysparkles I'll take a 6-pack of the Weasel Wheat then. You don't need to hunt down the Maple Porter! If you do happen to encounter it while out and about, I'd be perfectly happy with two singles so the boyfriend and I can both have one.

I actually found it pretty easy - I thought it was a fall beer but it's just come out for the season!

UyhWici.png
  • tanoshiikitanoshiiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Who has access to Kinder Bueno White? They discontinued them in Australia a few years ago and I miss them terribly so.

Can bring Australian snacks (no alcohol), please let me know what you'd be interested in :)

tanoshiiki on

I actually found it pretty easy - I thought it was a fall beer but it's just come out for the season!

Oh, awesome! Thank you!

I'm going on a snack and booze acquisition outing this weekend, so photos will probably be posted by Monday. More because I'm bored than anything.

• ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I just realized something...

If anyone is coming from the PA/NJ/MD/DE area and can bring some Yuengling, would you shoot me a message? Thanks!

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
    ravnos13 wrote: »
    I just realized something...

If anyone is coming from the PA/NJ/MD/DE area and can bring some Yuengling, would you shoot me a message? Thanks!

I think I saw someone earlier in the thread who said they were bringing Yuengling, but I can't remember who it was. If that turns out to be wrong, I can get it for you.

• ViciousEin02ViciousEin02 NYRegistered User regular
    This is for anybody 21 and over.. I will also be asking for ID.
    I have been able to buy Pineapple Sky Vodka if anybody is still looking for this.?
    Also I can get my hands on some random bottles of beer if anybody is looking for something in general.

Id be really interested in some of your local beers in that area. Maybe a 6pk.

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015
    Pax East 2012 & 2013 Attendee

This discussion has been closed.