As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] 4, now with online multiplayer!! Coming to 3DS 2013

19495969798100»

• MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Greatswords are difficult to use because there is a lot of patience, knowledge of the monster's telegraphs, and pin-point precision involved. If you derp a Greatsword swing, more often than not, you're going to be sent sprawling on the ground with half your health missing...derp too many times and you're ass-up on the recovery cart. Once you dedicate some serious time to learn the monsters and the Greatsword moveset, I can personally vouch that it is probalby one of THE most gratifying weapons. You feel so damn GOOD at landing those perfect half-blade hits. Quick explanation: the "sweet spot" on the Greatsword, where you do the most damage, is around halfway up the blade, if that part connects with the monster, you do the most damage.

The most damaging move in the whole game, it pulls an insane number, something like 120% of the attack power is the second version of the Greatsword charge. It's really hard to land, but BOY does it hurt. Basically, you have your charge swing, then you do that awkward slap, then, if you're pushing forward and hold that attack button, your hunter brings the sword BEHIND him and starts charging the sword that way. The normal charged swing does something like 90% of the weapon's attack power, the backwards one, as I said, does 120%, which is insane. Land those as much as you can, folks! I actually purposely pitfall monsters just so I can do that to them, or sonic bomb Diablos, or trip Rathalos, anything you can that gives you at least 10 seconds of monster down-time, cause that's about how long it's going to take.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    You think runs for those items from Gold Ian and Silver Los were crazy?

In MH2 (dos) you had to find three different items (Exploration Compass, Map, and Binoculars), each a low% drop, one from Shen Gaoren's quest rewards, one other from high rank Melynx, and one I don't even remember. You could combine them to make the Exploration Toolset, which gave you access to Forest and Hills online, without which you couldn't post Rathalos or Chameleos quests, including Gold & Silver.

To unlock White Fatalis, there was a similar process involving 3 books.

Offline, you could only unlock the Ancient Tower via 2 books in a similar process, but thankfully one of them is just handed to you after you beat Kushala Daora.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Hahaha damn.
    Say what you will of MH but they have certainly improved from that sort of nonsense in newer games.

• MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    The other night, I got a ruby and two plates from a Rathalos hunt...I swear I felt like I just won the lottery! The excitement started when I carved the plate off his tail!

Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
    edited March 2013
    There's actually more insane grind-y stuff than just that:

The Dragon-Headed Koto (Dragonhead Harp?) bow could only be obtained by getting rare song tickets in quest rewards and watching something like 20 each of the online-only songstress' different performances, after which she'd hand you the weapon. It was the only water element bow in the game.

Those rare gold and silver egg items which are just "Sell me for cash!" items in Tri were used for upgrades to the Silver Sol and Golden Moon armor.

There's another item in 3 parts, each obtained from a different map as a low% high-rank find. The 3 parts are combined to make an ancient vase, which ... does nothing but fill up its slot on your combinations list.

There's a rare Statue's Fist you could find mining at one spot in high-rank at the Ancient Tower. This was needed for the Fist of Fury joke weapon.

The "Growling Wyvern" and "Roaring Wyven" require a "Broken G Lance" item in MHFU. This was a pretty bad mistranslation: It's a Broken Dragonator lance, and in MH2(dos) yet another low% high-rank only find. I don't recall where you get it from though I suspect it's from a non-traning dojo quest that takes place on the arena map.

Funny story: Some of these items are still in MHFU's Treasure Hunting mode. The Dynasty Vase and Elder Dragon Reference you can make by combining 2 items are the vase and White Fatalis pre-requisite from above. They've been reduced to needing 2 items apiece since 3-item combinations were only in MH2(dos).

IceBurner on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Oooh, I forgot about the treasure hunts. Those were actually pretty fun as I recall.
    Sometimes I regret selling my PSP so I could jump back on Unite for a spell. But nevermind, I'm sure that'll pass once 3U comes out...

I fired up MHFU the other night, did a few quests...I just...I think I have a problem, I like hunting monkeys, I don't know why, but I like it a LOT. I must have murdered a dozen Congalala's and so many dead Blagonga's...

You know what's hard for me, though? I'm so used to the updated controls of MHP3rd and MH Tri that it's really hard to play SnS without a shieldbash, or Lance without a Counter. Totally changes the game!

Oh yeah it feels like a completely different game, and really a worse one if I'm being honest.
    The tri engine just improves so many things.

mostly hitboxes

Plesioth comes to mind as a horrible offender, however I kind of cheated on that one. I just made myself a heavy bowgun set, kept him at a distance and spiked him with millions of flame shots. Never got hip-checked or tailswiped or anything :P

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I love hit-and-run charge attacks.

This is why I'm a hammer fan - I can sit back building a superpound until the monster gives me an opening, then I move in for exhaustion and KO damage. Also, the not bouncing is nice. Really nice.

Of course, I also enjoy getting all over a monster's face with SnS and lance, so yeah. (Less so lance online, because people always end up chasing monsters, which leads to endless cycles of sheath-run-draw-sheath as you try to get on it again, because they can't be bothered to stay put for it to charge back. Especially with Barioth, who loves to swoop at the person farthest away from the others...)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    The Lance Charge is fantastic at keeping up with annoyingly springy monsters :)

Just don't hit the other hunters!

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    GS has got that quickdraw, so I like it for chasing.

I should really try to get back into MHFU. The lack of familiarity with the game threw me.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I really want to make a go at getting good with the gunner weapons this time around but they intimidate me.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    You know what I just realized.

If you have the Wii U version and you know a friend with it as well, you could take your Wii U to their house and play on the pad while they play with their Wii U on their TV, and be in a local group along with others online.

Kind of weird and cumbersome but also sounds fun. You could easily do this with any number of online Wii U games.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    You know what I just realized.

If you have the Wii U version and you know a friend with it as well, you could take your Wii U to their house and play on the pad while they play with their Wii U on their TV, and be in a local group along with others online.

Kind of weird and cumbersome but also sounds fun. You could easily do this with any number of online Wii U games.

After the patch is released in April, of course :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    If you're rolling Hammer be careful with that super pound.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem if the hammer user stays by the head as they should, right? Probably why it's not among the chief complaints?
    How to properly use a hammer in Monster Hunter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQ3kGvCLbE

jCyyTSo.png
    MH3U Wii U load time comparison

Top left: disc
    Top right: digital download to internal storage
    Bottom left: external hard drive
    Bottom right: external SSD

Ranked fastest to slowest: SSD, internal storage, hard drive, disc

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Video of the Wii U <-> 3DS packet relay tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDFLl3H30k

Looks like the difference is almost inconsequential, but it was nice to actually be able to see it.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    MH3U is the game that makes me buy a Wii U. I'll be hunting on the release day I hope.

In Tri I preferred SnS or Switch Axe. That's probably not going to change but I may also give Lance a go.

steam_sig.png
    Man, I was so unprepared last night. Went after HR Rathalos with Peco armor and Gobul SnS. WOrks fine for Rathalos, because I like being support character. Then they decided that the Jho that popped up was fair game and started going after him. Peco armor and a Gobul...stick is terrifying to use against a Jho. We won in the end though, and I got to upgrade my Chak Chak, so a damn good haul for the night!

kept looking for you guys, would have popped a message in here, but wife was bogarting the iPad.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Video of the Wii U <-> 3DS packet relay tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDFLl3H30k

I wish this was a PC tool :(

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    That Qurupeco cap is hella pimp.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Qurupeco armor is THE BEST armor. Best for skills because of Wide Area +2 and the others on it, best for looks because with it you're 17% of the Village People right there!

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So many costumes in P3rd are so racist. Especially the bandito costumes for your felynes. Ponchos, huge mustaches, bullet holes in their hats, bandoliers, guitars for weapons.

I think they can be stereotypical without necessarily being racist. The Froggi armor for the Felynes is pretty cute, cause it's a sombrero, with a massive moustache and a guitar for a weapon. It's totally stereotypical, but I think it's kind of going for that.

My main concern with Monster Hunter is the fact that they have chainmail bikinis. I mean, yeah, it's accepted, and Monster Hunter is BY FAR not the worst offender, in fact they're pretty good at it...but it's still in there. Getting a panty-shot every time your female hunter gets knocked over isn't something I like.

Yes, I know, I'm not a raging feminist, I just have two daughters I'm raising, so I've lately become a LOT more sensitive to such things. The fact that females are just as kickass as the males already gives Monster Hunter huge thumbs up from me.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah. There's a bit of that with the female characters. I always chalk it up to "oh, Japan..." But if you think MH is bad, you should see the attack animations for the female characters in FF Type-0.

Still, I'm planning on playing a female character in MH3U. I've always played male characters, so I want to give the other side a go this time.

That's what I mean that Monster Hunter isn't the worst. I mean it's better than even my beloved World of Warcraft which LITERALLY has chainmail bikinis. Final Fantasy...well...I won't go there. Let's just say that I'm not a fan.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Could it really be?

Time for a NEW MH thread?

J3qcnBP.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Doooo ittttt.

We need to get a new Wii U list up anyway.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Even though it's kinda silly, I found it curiously endearing that the female Rhenoplos armour looks like a huge pink teddybear. I think I can get behind that kind of design aesthetic.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Doooo ittttt.

Good reminder that we can use this form/spreadsheet thing that only mere_immortal bothered to fill in. :P

Form
    Results

Doooo ittttt.

Good reminder that we can use this form/spreadsheet thing that only mere_immortal bothered to fill in. :P

Form
    Results

Hah that's why we need a new thread, stick that in the OP and get er filled up!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    I've bought a Wii U solely for this game. I CANNOT WAIT.

Also can someone else take over making the new thread, I don't have the time nor inclination to keep it updated anymore, but I'll be around here when the game launches, oh yes I will.

paDudSig.jpg
    If no one does it in the meantime I'll make a new one after work.