As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    Well, 100% convinced by Indiana now.

Oladipo is absolutely insane. That said, I'm pretty sure MSU and IU are gonna have pretty deep runs this year.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Wouldn't be surprised. My issue with the Hoosiers is I've thought they were much, much worse away from Assembly. This is no longer the case like it was even a month ago.

I hope we remember how to play average defense, in which case we can make a deep run. I think getting out of Big Ten style games will help us as much as it hurts Wisconsin, so there's that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised. My issue with the Hoosiers is I've thought they were much, much worse away from Assembly. This is no longer the case like it was even a month ago.

I hope we remember how to play average defense, in which case we can make a deep run. I think getting out of Big Ten style games will help us as much as it hurts Wisconsin, so there's that.

Although it would probably get terribly low ratings and has an almost negligible chance of happening, a small part of me hopes for an all Big Ten Final Four.

• Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular

20 fouls called in the first 5 minutes of the Minny-OSU game. No idea what you're talking about. /sarcasm

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Man, if Ohio State could shoot or if Amir Williams were vaguely competent, they'd be dangerous next month.

• Options
    And Jordan Morgan is kind of important to Michigan's chances. Lost three times without him. With him on the floor today, they were +18, without him -5. Makes the defense cohesive and sets really really good ball screens that free up Burke to do Burke things.

• Options
    Man, if Ohio State could shoot or if Amir Williams were vaguely competent, they'd be dangerous next month.

They'll still be dangerous. The problem is that a hot shooter on a 6-10 seed can provide enough offense to beat them.

And you were right about Craft, I'm not sure why I thought he was a senior. Technically, Ravenel is the only guy we lose next year, but I suspect Thomas will end up declaring for the draft. Hopefully, Thompson and Scott can grow their offense enough to replace that scoring.

Also, how is Iowa doing that well and Northwestern that badly this year? I get the feeling the conference tourney this year could end up just absolutely bizarre.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Iowa has a really solid freshman class and a fair amount of talent. Plus McCaffrey is a good coach. Northwestern lost three of their four best players to injury, graduated Shurna, and the fourth of their four best players has been hurt intermittently.

I don't think the conference tournament will be that bizarre, because the five best teams are way, way better than the other seven. Illinois could maybe get hot from three and take someone out, but if you punch them in the mouth they go away. If Tubby Smith grew a brain at some point, Minnesota has the talent to beat anyone, but he's awful. The weekend between the 4/5 winner, Indiana, and the 2/3 is going to be amazing though.

• Options
    The weekend between the 4/5 winner, Indiana, and the 2/3 is going to be amazing though.

I think there's a strong chance you get a lot of good tape on a decent number of Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight teams between those 5 (I honestly could see all 5 making the Sweet Sixteen)

• Options
    I'd expect Indiana, MSU, and Michigan to make the Elite Eight, and then matchups will determine if MSU/UM get to the Final Four. OSU in the Elite Eight wouldn't shock me, either.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Minnesota/Indiana is tremendous right now on ESPN.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Indiana went down at the Barn, which should make it seven locks for the Big Ten, especially if Minnesota handles their business down the stretch against the dregs. Michigan now controls its destiny for a share, Wisconsin and MSU need help (from Michigan, or maybe OSU). OSU needs a LOT of help, but it's probably theoretically possible.

• Options
    Michigan's defense makes me sad.

• Options
    Have you accepted the potential for tourney craziness yet? I feel like this game was meant strictly to convince you.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    Have you accepted the potential for tourney craziness yet? I feel like this game was meant strictly to convince you.

I was going to come in here yesterday and make a ridiculous prediction that PSU would sweep the Big 10 tournament just to spite everyone. I feel like it's not as funny now.

• Options
    It was meant to convince me that Stauskas can't fucking defend anyone. And is shit if you trap him.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I....just.....what?

Also, the top of sbnation's penn state blog:

ByyPWHy.png

• Options
    The Big Ten has decided to leave sense and reason behind, apparently, as Purdue walks into the Kohl Center and wins by double digits

• Options
    Well, that was exciting. Trey Burke is the best.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Wheee Ryan Kelly.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I kind of want to cancel the NCAA tournament and just play like a triple elimination Big Ten tournament.

EDIT: Also, thanks Buckeyes. Hopefully we'll return the favor, but I'm hoping you lose the finale just like I'm assuming you're rooting for Purdue tomorrow.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Naturally we're rooting for Purdue, but that would be true regardless of league title implications. We will be cheering for you to beat Indiana. Along with everybody outside the state of Indiana. Because nobody else likes Indiana basketball.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Man, they're only like my fourth least favorite team in the Big Ten. You guys are barely top three (fuck Bo Ryan forever).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    You've just forgotten because they were basically irrelevant between Knight and Crean.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    One of the best things about this minefield of a league is that the "oh god NO" happens to everyone without favor or mercy. If I have to see my boys stumble, I'm comforted knowing that it's absolutely coming for the other guys next.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    You've just forgotten because they were basically irrelevant between Knight and Crean.

1. Sparty
    2. Bo Ryan and the fighting Bo Ryans
    3. Y'all
    4. Indiana

• Options
    For me that top 4 is basically reversed. Maybe Illinois instead of MSU at #4 though. It's pretty heavily influenced by how shitty Ellerbe and Amaker were, particularly in-conference.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    We spent years with Izzo blowing us out ruthlessly and running up the score because he's secretly a huge dick. Like starters in running alley oops while up 40 ruthlessly. And his obnoxious mind control of officials doesn't help. So they'll always be #1.

• Options
    How to beat Michigan: dribble. Can't stop the ball.

Might escape from this, but they've been so bad after they were legitimately good this weekend.

• Options
    Hey look, Wisconsin is not an elite team, but propped up by luck and a fortunate Big Ten schedule.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    In other news, Penn State beat someone else. Michigan becomes less sad.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    We really don't. If we had that game and the fucking bullshit Wisconsin gaaaaaaaaah we'd be the ones playing with a share clinched. And probably for the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I just hope that we beat Wisconsin in overtime.

Because I think it'd be hilarious to beat Wisconsin in OT in our last regular season game for Football, Hockey, and Basketball in a single year.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    We really don't. If we had that game and the fucking bullshit Wisconsin gaaaaaaaaah we'd be the ones playing with a share clinched. And probably for the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament.
    I know as fans we love to say "we" to mean the team, but I don't feel bad about it with this team because even when actual team members say "we", they really just mean "Trey Burke."

"'We' did a great job scoring/drawing fouls/playing defense/making freethrows." Sure you did, Stauskas.

• Options
    He did three of those things! And he was on DJ Byrd who was mostly held in check because this was his night to not hit 34 foot bank shots.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Indiana has clinched the Big Ten #1 seed with the MSU win. Ohio State is the 2 if they beat Illinois, regardless of other stuff. After that it's a mess, and in one scenario, there's a coinflip for the 4/5 (Michigan wins, Illinois wins, and Wisconsin/MSU take care of business). Then OSU and Wisconsin flip a coin to see who takes on an improving Penn State before they would face the other the next day.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I feel pretty good about beating Illinois at home. We've split with each of the other top 5 teams in the conference, I don't see why we can't with Illinois who is 6th.

Also, I'm super jealous because both of my sisters are going to that game and the last basketball game I went to featured Dee Brown, J.J. Sullinger, and the only Buckeye I've ever truly hated: Matt Sylvester. Fuck that guy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Depends entirely on which Illinois team shows up. They and Minnesota are confusing.

• Options
    It also depends on which Deshaun Thomas shows up. The elite scorer, or the elite scorer who can be bothered to play defense.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    I know as fans we love to say "we" to mean the team, but I don't feel bad about it with this team because even when actual team members say "we", they really just mean "Trey Burke."

"'We' did a great job scoring/drawing fouls/playing defense/making freethrows." Sure you did, Stauskas.

I don't feel at all bad about it in relation to college teams when you attended that school. The team is representing your institution that you were/are a member of. That being said, we were so goddamned awful this year, but hopefully with Frazier back, and a lot of talent leaving the Big 10 we can be a bit more competitive next season.

This discussion has been closed.