As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Planning Thread: Girls Meetup

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I would love to join this one :) 1st time on a game convention and meeting other women would be fun.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • KatieHalKatieHal PR Director/Snark Advocate Boston, MARegistered User new member
    I'm the Katie Themiscyra mentioned--I'm still in, and I may have another lady interested in joining us, PAX schedule pending.

Katie Hallahan | @katiehal16
    PR Director / Snark Advocate
    Phoenix Online Studios
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Thanks @Themiscyra and @donnanoblehasbeensaved for your great responses. The question stems from the fact that I work with people facing discrimination every day, and sometimes things unintentionally push a button. I guess I was just checking to make sure it wasn't some sexist thing like "we hate boys!" I was going to add that I'd only had positive experiences in the gaming community (barring internet trolls, which don't count) and never had someone be misogynistic in person, but then I went to a GameStop yesterday, so there goes that.

I actually tried to attend a cosplayers meetup last year, but it just... didn't happen. One other person showed up. I tried to start an ABJD owners meetup too (off-site), but apparently the gaming and ABJD communities cross over less than I thought. Maybe I'll pop by one of the LGBTQABCDEtc events this year?

Anyway, enjoy brunch, ladies! Hope to meet some of you at the con, and thanks again for clearing things up.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    I'm another PAX newbie who would like to attend. Monday work demands I drive back Sunday afternoon (no Sunday PAX :( ) and this sounds like a good way to end the weekend.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• PRationalityPRationality CinderAley NJRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested in attending, though I can't be certain til I know what my Enforcer duties are going to be.

• AmberxAltF4AmberxAltF4 Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely interested in this- it'll be my first PAX, and I'd love to meet up with some other girls! I'm open to the Sunday brunch and/or the Friday or Saturday lunch.

Trade me pins: Lanyard!

XoFQ4b7.png
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    @aikoe: I'd be surprised if there aren't a few ABJD owners at PAX, but I'm sorry you had so much difficulty connecting with 'em. It's not a community I'm familiar with myself, I'm afraid. I feel like there were some ABJD owner events at Arisia (a con held every January at the Westin right next door to the BCEC), but if you're not a local that's probably not too helpful.

You're certainly welcome at the QUILTBAG Gamer Meetup if you like -- there's more info here -- and I think the GayGamer meetup at Fritz tends to be pretty open as well. Believe me, if any of these events were motivated by discrimination, they wouldn't be welcome here. This is just a chance for people who are (or often feel as though they are) in the minority to band together and commiserate for an hour or two.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • tanoshiikitanoshiiki Registered User regular
    First timer too. Not sure what my schedule is yet, but I would be interested :)

• Cleaner7Cleaner7 AZRegistered User new member
    I've been to PAX before but this will be my first PAX East and I'd enjoy meeting other women there. If this happens, sign me up.

• Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    Now that the schedule is up and I know I won't be going totally nuts to go to any particular panel, I'm very very ready to have some girl time. Has there been any decision on the particulars of where/when?

And if I may request - Boston is confusing to me, I have a really hard time with the subway system, so if any ladies want to depart from the BCEC to wherever we are going to hang out, please count me in on that group so I don't get lost :P

edited March 2013
    I'm currently assisting @juju with this, which is probably insane, but I'm between jobs at the moment and have a fair bit of spare time. Given the time constraints we're working with, and the tradition/slight preference for brunch (of those who expressed a distinct preference), I'm thinking Max & Dylan's in downtown Boston is probably our best bet, starting at either 10 or 11 on Sunday. I'll count up everyone who's committed to going, and I've asked juju about last year's attendance in case we need a ballpark figure. If you've seen the schedule and decided you're in, though, now would be a great time to speak up. Now would also be the time to speak up if you'd really prefer lunch, or if you have a strong preference for starting at 10 or starting at 11.

Themiscyra on
  • Amoeba Amoeba Registered User regular
    I still totally up for this, 10 am brunch is good so I can have time in between to make it for noon panels.

Ana Ng wrote: »
    Now that the schedule is up and I know I won't be going totally nuts to go to any particular panel, I'm very very ready to have some girl time. Has there been any decision on the particulars of where/when?
    I'm not strongly inclined to go to any of the panels either, so I'm happy to go for brunch or lunch.

I'd prefer to meet at the BCEC as well, I think (TBC). Although, my sense of direction is pretty good, it has challenged me in the past when I've been in the Northern Hemisphere... I was checking out OpenTable and appears Sunday Brunch is a big thing, so I would have thought we would have quite a few options.

Sunday brunch is a big thing...but that means lots of other people will be going to brunch, and we need to stay within a certain budget, and there's not a lot of time left to hunt for alternatives. Also, restaurants closer to the BCEC tend to be expensive, or they won't take reservations during PAX East (as I discovered while looking for a venue for the QUILTBAG meetup), or both.

So basically I'm doing this at the last minute, on top of other responsibilities (which, despite being unemployed at the moment, I do still have, including family support, the search for work, and other PAX prep), because the Ladies' Brunch/Girls' Meetup has been a tradition at every PAX so far and I don't want to see it falter. That means I'm going to look for easy solutions, and since Max & Dylan's treated us really well last year, I'm inclined to go with them again. I'm happy to take other suggestions! But I need to get the ball rolling on this ASAP.

@Themiscyra count me in as a certainty. I just checked out the brunch menu for Max&Dylan's and it looks delish and affordable.

Looks like I might have to take back what I said about meeting at the BCEC first... just realized my hotel (Omniparker) is a 5 minute walk from the restaurant so it'd be silly to go to the bcec then backtrack :P

Anyway it looks like they open at 10am - so why not do brunch there at 10am, then we can all head over to the BCEC together?

• embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm interested in this as well! I have a friend who has attended before and recommended me to to the girl's meetup -- I'll ask my two hotel-roomies if they'll want to join as well, and let y'all know!

• TurtleFlowerTurtleFlower Pixel Nerd New England, USARegistered User regular
    I would honestly love to participate in this but the one panel I ABSOLUTELY have to go to (The Double Fine Adventure Adventure) is happening at 11:30am on Sunday. So this would need to be a brunch at 10... and I have absolutely no clue about getting around in Boston. Though checking Googlemaps, it seems that Max and Dylan's is not too far from where I ate with my friends last year nor really THAT far from the convention center. If I can meet with some other girls at the BCEC and leave from there I would be feel more comfortable locking in for this. I do not mind sharing cab fare either.

I am also happy to join for afternoon tea or drinks as well on a more casual basis. Feel free to to message me on Steam if that becomes a thing. My entire friend group is men and I would dearly love to add some girl gamers to my circle. Also, rooming with a bunch of dudes for three days is going to really leave me with the desperate desire for some girl time.

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut
    I think 10:00 a.m. at Max & Dylan's sounds great. There's no need to make this hard to set up. Thanks for doing this! :)

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I think this interests me, do we pay in advance?

pax%20sig.png
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    No panels I'm interested in on Sunday, so my friend and I should be in!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
    @PurpleBek: Yeah, I'll be asking people to pay in advance; unfortunately I can't cover it all by myself at the moment, even if people will be paying me back at/after the meetup. There'll be a base price per head which should include a brunch buffet and non-alcoholic beverages, and then anyone who wants alcohol will just pay for it separately.

I think I will be shooting for 10 am, based on the feedback so far. I'm going to go ahead and contact M&D with the current estimate so we can finalize the details over the next week or so.

Okay, I just heard back from Max & Dylan's. It looks like we can get a decent brunch buffet for $22 a head, with unlimited tea, soda and coffee added on for $3 a head. Unlimited juice would be $4 a head on top of that, so I'm thinking we can just add juice to the list of things people can pay for themselves if they want it -- otherwise we're up to $29 a head and that's not great.

That does mean, with PayPal fees, that this would come out to $26.05 each. That's an increase of a little over a dollar from last year. The fees'll be higher if I go through Eventbrite, so I feel like direct PayPal payments are probably the way to go here.

We'd get scrambled eggs with chives, Yukon Gold home fries, fresh baked muffins and danishes, and a fresh fruit platter with berries as part of the brunch. We'd also get our choice from 2 preselected brunch items, 1 lunch item and 2 sides. I'm thinking blueberry stuffed French toast (because that sounds freaking delicious) and pancakes for the brunch items, applewood smoked bacon and bagels and cream cheese for the sides, and...I'm not sure about the lunch item yet. If you want to suggest alternatives, you can find some inspiration here, though not every item is on the table (as it were) for a group brunch.

Our other option is to give up the buffet idea and go with a seated brunch/lunch. We'd have a set first course, a choice from four preselected brunch items, and a set dessert. That'd be $20 a head before PayPal fees; as before, unlimited tea, soda and coffee would add on $3 a head, and unlimited juice would add on $4 a head.

Time, as always, is of the essence! Though I'll try to wait a little while for responses.

I like the sound of the first plan... blueberry stuffed french toast sounds amazeballs.

The first plan sounds okay but perhaps an omelet option for the second brunch food as opposed to two sweet things? (The blueberry french toast does sound good.) I couldn't tell what their lunch options are. The chicken sandwich might be an option.

edited March 2013
    I don't mind $26.05 if it comes out around there, I would definitely like to have unlimited tea/coffee. The juice doesn't really interest me as much just out of interest to keep the cost down.
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    We'd get scrambled eggs with chives, Yukon Gold home fries, fresh baked muffins and danishes, and a fresh fruit platter with berries as part of the brunch. We'd also get our choice from 2 preselected brunch items, 1 lunch item and 2 sides. I'm thinking blueberry stuffed French toast (because that sounds freaking delicious) and pancakes for the brunch items, applewood smoked bacon and bagels and cream cheese for the sides, and...I'm not sure about the lunch item yet. If you want to suggest alternatives, you can find some inspiration here, though not every item is on the table (as it were) for a group brunch.

Sounds utterly fantastic for me. As for a lunch item, fish/eggs/cheese all of that great, just not a straight meat entree. Though I can always gorge myself on every other awesome sounding dish. If folks do decide to go with the cheaper option of $20 a head that would be fine, but I wonder if it would be a little less casual than the buffet option?

You may certainly lock me in as well, but I would like to network on meeting anyone coming from the convention center and going together.

TurtleFlower on
    PAX East 2013 Omeganaut
    The seated brunch would probably be a lot less casual, yeah. A meat-free lunch option sounds like a good idea...we could probably do mac & cheese or one of a few different salads. There's a grilled pear salad with bleu cheese, candied pecans and lemon vinaigrette that could be suitable for brunch, perhaps. We could also get hummus & olive wraps with feta chese and tomato.

There's a grilled pear salad with bleu cheese, candied pecans and lemon vinaigrette that could be suitable for brunch, perhaps. We could also get hummus & olive wraps with feta chese and tomato.

How wonderfully sublime, either sounds grand!

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I prefer the buffet idea to the seated br/lunch. $26 is just fine :)

HI3789R.png
    Mmm, sounds like I'd better skip breakfast :P

@Delaney: They have a three-egg omelet with cheese plus ham or spinach; I could easily ask for that rather than the pancakes. They also have Eggs Benedict, but I feel like that's going to have a narrower appeal. (On the other hand, of course, scrambled eggs are already built into the brunch buffet.) The lunch options are pretty much sandwiches or smaller versions of dinner soups, salads or entrees.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    @Delaney: They have a three-egg omelet with cheese plus ham or spinach; I could easily ask for that rather than the pancakes. They also have Eggs Benedict, but I feel like that's going to have a narrower appeal. (On the other hand, of course, scrambled eggs are already built into the brunch buffet.) The lunch options are pretty much sandwiches or smaller versions of dinner soups, salads or entrees.

for what it's worth, i'd rather have two sweet options (stuffed french toast and pancakes) than two egg options (omelets and scrambled). i think a savory lunch option will help balance things as well.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    All right, everyone, thanks for your input. I think I'm going to go ahead with the blueberry-stuffed French toast, the pancakes, and the hummus & olive wraps for our lunch item -- that should be a nice, savory, meat-free option. As I said, we'll also have scrambled eggs, home fries, muffins and danishes, and fresh fruit as part of the brunch as well, and I'll order bacon and bagels with cream cheese for the sides. Hopefully that'll provide a nice range of options for everyone.

I'll get PayPal set up in the next couple days. If you can't use PayPal for some reason, I'll see if I can come up with an alternative, but it is most convenient for me (particularly since that means I can just put the meal on my PayPal debit card and take it right out of my account).

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Last year we used Eventbrite for tickets. Is that not an option this year?

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Last year we used Eventbrite for tickets. Is that not an option this year?
    That does mean, with PayPal fees, that this would come out to $26.05 each. That's an increase of a little over a dollar from last year. The fees'll be higher if I go through Eventbrite, so I feel like direct PayPal payments are probably the way to go here.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    @TabooFantasy - as @tvethiopia noted with the repost, Eventbrite + PayPal would drive the cost up further. Eventbrite does have its own payment processing system, but when the host goes with that option, Eventbrite waits until well after the event to compensate them. Unfortunately, I can't afford to cover the cost of 25-30 diners even if I'll be reimbursed in a matter of weeks. Additionally, Eventbrite's own fees for this service would probably still be higher than PayPal's.

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ah, I see. I've never set something up thorough Eventbrite myself.
    I have used PayPal to sell tickets before and use the "gift" option which does not change anyone any fees.

TabooPhantasy on
    ~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    ...yeah, I may be too used to business transactions through PayPal at this point. :) I'm okay with using the gift option if everyone is comfortable with that. In that case, it'll probably be $25 flat, though I'm waiting to confirm that Max & Dylan's group rates already have tax and gratuity built in. (That's the way it works at Uno, but you know what happens when you assume...)

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    If you suddenly get (or send) a lot of gifts through PayPal, your account might come up for review. And maybe be frozen while they do that. Personally, I'd rather pay the extra dollar then have you screwed by that.

HI3789R.png
    punzie wrote: »
    If you suddenly get (or send) a lot of gifts through PayPal, your account might come up for review. And maybe be frozen while they do that. Personally, I'd rather pay the extra dollar then have you screwed by that.

Same here. The extra dollar won't make a difference to my PAX budget, I'd much rather have assurance that Paypal won't try to mess with your account :)

Okay, yeah, I definitely can't afford to have my PayPal account frozen. So yes, sorry, we'll be going with the original $26.05 plan.

This discussion has been closed.