As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2013 BYOC Information

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    BYOC Badge Update
    Badges are being mailed out TODAY for BYOC! You should have them in a few days.

In the event, that you do not receive your BYOC badge(s) in time for PAX, make sure to bring your emailed purchase receipt and photo identification with you. Go to Registration/Will Call on either Thursday before PAX, or first thing Friday morning. If you have to pick up your badge at the event (for any reason), and can't make it to Will Call on Thursday, Follow the Load-In Instructions in the BYOC Mailer. There will be a "PC Coat Check" available that you can securely leave your stuff at while you go to North Lobby to get your BYOC Badge.

If anyone has questions about this process, please feel free to ask here.

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    After going up the ramp in the back and dropping off our PC's at the Level 1 Southwest Gate, how are we supposed to get back there after parking our vehicle when pedestrians are not allowed to walk up the ramp going to the Level 1 Southwest Gate?

Can we upgrade from Ventrillo to TeamSpeak 3 or Mumble? Ventrillo causes a delay between speaking and hearing, whereas Mumble/TS3 its minimal.

After going up the ramp in the back and dropping off our PC's at the Level 1 Southwest Gate, how are we supposed to get back there after parking our vehicle when pedestrians are not allowed to walk up the ramp going to the Level 1 Southwest Gate?

Can we upgrade from Ventrillo to TeamSpeak 3 or Mumble? Ventrillo causes a delay between speaking and hearing, whereas Mumble/TS3 its minimal.

Regarding Parking, if you're parking in the South Lot behind the BCEC, yeah, the convention people frown on pedestrians walking UP the ramp. To combat this, park your car, and actually enter the BCEC on the EAST side, at Level 0. From there, you can go up to Level 1, walk directly across the Sky Bridge and then (poof!) you're at the PC Coat Check.

Regarding Ventrillo, The fantastic folks over at Ventrillo will be providing the on-site Ventrillo servers. Everything will be LAN based! It should be a fun experience!

Vapok
    edited March 2013
    So I can drop my things off at the Level 1 Southwest Gate, park, then go to the BCEC on the East Side?

Where is the BCEC side on this map that I dug up:

http://www.weruniq.com/bcec-byoc-drop-off.jpg

Mod edit: I have word that a new map is being worked on, as this one is inaccurate for 2013.

zerzhul on
  • MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Question on the map above (I think that was the one from last year?). If we're coming from the World Trade silver line stop, should we just walk to the NW1 Entrance? My friends and I tried to do this last year, and were rudely forced by rather threatening security guards to go stand in the main entrance line with our heavy rigs. If there's another way to get to BYOC on foot without waiting until 10:00, please let us know so we can plan accordingly. Not everyone will be arriving via the Westin/car transport (unless we need to detour through the Westin?).

Malfeis on
    PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
    If there is a new map being worked on, please include where we will be allowed to enter from on Foot after parking or arriving via Train/Plane/Taxi/Super Human Powers.

edited March 2013
    If there is a new map being worked on, please include where we will be allowed to enter from on Foot after parking or arriving via Train/Plane/Taxi/Super Human Powers.

New Map:
    bcec-byoc-drop-off-2013.jpg

Vapok on
    Vapok
    If the parking lot is filling up fast by the time we get there, is it possible to park and then cart over our PC's to the BCEC Level 0 Entrance?

I dread the horror of having to park at the Alternative Parking Garage. I had to last year :(

If the parking lot is filling up fast by the time we get there, is it possible to park and then cart over our PC's to the BCEC Level 0 Entrance?

I dread the horror of having to park at the Alternative Parking Garage. I had to last year :(

Cart's aren't allowed in the BCEC once you get inside, so that might be challenging. Your best bet is to quickly drop things off and then circle around the BCEC. If you get there early enough (7:45AM), I don't think you'll have any issues. I fully expect a line to start forming outside of the Southwest Level 1 entrance by 7:30AM on Friday.

Vapok
  • MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    Hint: if foot traffic is going through the front entrance (north), GET THERE EARLY. Once the big general line starts outside, the guards won't care what color badge you have, it's all "back of the line!" from there. Speaking from past experience.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »

New Map:
    bcec-byoc-drop-off-2013.jpg

Holy crap, dude. Nice job.

yBfDKg5.png
    I thought only 2-wheeled carts were allowed?

Or are the 2 wheeled carts only allowed in the BYOC area for Loading/Unloading?

I thought only 2-wheeled carts were allowed?

Or are the 2 wheeled carts only allowed in the BYOC area for Loading/Unloading?

AH yes.. Sorry, I automatically assume 4 wheel carts. Yes, 2 wheeled hand trucks are allowed (to the best of my knowledge, I hope that hasn't chnaged).

Vapok
    Group Seating Registration Will End 3/16/2013

See First Post of this thread for Group Seating Information!

Vapok
    FYI, we'll be issuing a retraction email calling out the incorrect information in the original mailer this morning, sometime this afternoon.

This is mostly for those that don't check the forums and rely solely on email. =)

Vapok
  • mijit88mijit88 Registered User regular
    I never got the second email, but if it is the same info as above im fine with that!

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    mijit88 wrote: »
    I never got the second email, but if it is the same info as above im fine with that!

The second e-mail was sent to my GMail SPAM folder, so you may check there (and whitelist the sender). I only checked there when I saw it mentioned the e-mail had been resent but didn't see it in my inbox.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I got the first, blank BYOC email, but like mijit88 I didn't get a second email either.

edit: i checked my spam folder, but the BYOC mailer went to one of my secondary accounts that forwards to my main. It was in the secondary spam folder.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    Hey all!!

For those concerned about the games of BYOC the list is subject to change. But right now it looks a little like this.

Friday:
    Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (Early Afternoon)
    Artemis (evening)

Saturday:
    Counter Strike: GO (Early Afternoon)
    DOTA2 (Late Afternoon/evening)

Sunday:
    Team Fortress 2 (morning/noon)
    Shadow run (Early Afternoon)

There are obviously games that do not actually involve your computers (because, really. Who wants to be on a Computer in BYOC?) But we are not ready to announce that stuff just yet.

so i just noticed the full schedule finally went live on the site. For official PC tournaments it only has minecraft on friday, cs:go and warsow on saturday, and shootmania on sunday. Are we not having SC2, TF2, or DOTA2 anymore?

thr4sher on
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    The BYOC and "official" PC Tournaments are not the same.

JfqWFk8.png
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    I made my newest pc case in hopes to take it to PAX as I have in the past years but I was unable to get the seating. :(. Here it is for those who remember my other cases:
    svHFIXT.jpeg

Video here:
    http://youtu.be/Cz5muWnFMmg

To be honest, I don't know if I would of been to get it to a desk without a 4 wheel cart...Also would if had to buy 2 seats to fit it on the table.

thorkon wrote: »
    I made my newest pc case in hopes to take it to PAX as I have in the past years but I was unable to get the seating. :(. Here it is for those who remember my other cases:
    svHFIXT.jpeg

Define "unable to get the seating" -- do you have your 3 day pass?

yBfDKg5.png
    I was pretty sure when I bought my single day passes(fri, sat, sun) the byoc was sold out?(especially considering the last pax year's sold out fast) If it's not sold out, I'm definitely down to buy the passes.

edited March 2013
    pretty cool airship, bro.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    thorkon wrote: »
    I was pretty sure when I bought my single day passes(fri, sat, sun) the byoc was sold out?(especially considering the last pax year's sold out fast) If it's not sold out, I'm definitely down to buy the passes.
    I saw your build being promoted by Asus on Facebook. I would love to see it in person, maybe they would be willing to show case? It is truly amazing. Could be even better than BYOC? Have them give you a both!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
    I've been in touch and they are limited on room on the show room floor so chances are slim but it's not out of the question yet. ASUS have been great, nothing but good things to say about them. They had my Link pc in their booth at the Makers Faire and that was a great time.

• A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    Cool well I really hope to see you there and possibly your machine.

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    Got my byoc pass. When i got it, the envelope was OPEN!!! good luck to anyone else. Hopefully nobody's pass gets lost in the mail.

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    My 3 showed up just fine, envelope still sealed . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

rileyper wrote: »
    Got my byoc pass. When i got it, the envelope was OPEN!!! good luck to anyone else. Hopefully nobody's pass gets lost in the mail.

Sorry to hear that, man. Everything ok?

yBfDKg5.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Got my two BYOC passes, envelop still intact.

• gravitymonkeygravitymonkey Registered User new member
    I have a question -- will be at Pax East (first time!), and got a BYOC ticket. My son, who is 12, is planning on using it (having the chill time away from the people with his gear, and TF2, will be good for him).

Will I be able to help him set up his gear, or break it down? I read that people can't get in without passes - that makes sense to me for security - but just wondering about feasibility in being able to help him with the setup, and also reaching him while he's in the BYOC space.

Thanks, all; any advice or thoughts welcome!

Probably a bit premature, but I'll ask anyway.

Since the swag bags aren't being released until 11:30 this year, will BYOC attendees still have them waiting when we check in on Friday, or is this a universal change? Just trying to figure out if I want to wade into the fracas when they're made available (probably not).

q
    I have a question -- will be at Pax East (first time!), and got a BYOC ticket. My son, who is 12, is planning on using it (having the chill time away from the people with his gear, and TF2, will be good for him).

Will I be able to help him set up his gear, or break it down? I read that people can't get in without passes - that makes sense to me for security - but just wondering about feasibility in being able to help him with the setup, and also reaching him while he's in the BYOC space.

Thanks, all; any advice or thoughts welcome!

@gravitymonkey: My name is Vapok, PC Security/BYOC Manager. When you check in on Friday, request for me. We'll make sure you can get in and out of BYOC to assist your son without any issues.

Vapok
    Malfeis wrote: »
    Probably a bit premature, but I'll ask anyway.

Since the swag bags aren't being released until 11:30 this year, will BYOC attendees still have them waiting when we check in on Friday, or is this a universal change? Just trying to figure out if I want to wade into the fracas when they're made available (probably not).

Swag Bags have always been set aside for BYOC members in the past, and I haven't seen any indications that this process would've changed. So, we will make every attempt to ensure that swags are waiting on the table for your arrival.

Vapok
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Got my BYOC badge yesterday, now tucked away safe with my 3 day pass, now time to get my laptop prepped for BYOC!

signature.png
  • BarkBark Registered User regular
    Getting really pumped, Both sets of badges arrived!

sl1ao1t19fl8.png
    Both of mine arrived today, albeit thrown haphazardly on my front porch in the rain. Never been more glad that these things are made out of plastic...they survived where the envelope did not.

Group Seating Update - 3/14/2013
    There has been a change to the Table Layout for BYOC. Group Seating has automatically been modified. Please email us, if the changes made by us are not desired by your group.

Vapok
    Group Seating Update - 3/15/2013
    There has been ANOTHER change to the Table Layout for BYOC. Group Seating has automatically been modified. Please email us, if the changes made by us are not desired by your group. The changes basically revert back to the original layout, with new letters, new numbers, and 1 more seat at each row.

For background info, we had to change from 8 foot tables to 6 foot table without affecting switch placements.

Vapok