As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2013 Pax Parties!

• Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Krissta wrote: »
    Please excuse me if this has already been answered, but is there a Gamers Gone Wild party this year?
    Not that I've been able to find. :( Makes me really sad because of what happened last year.

What happened last year?

They planned a HUGE shindig at Felt in Boston, but mere days before, Felt got shut down by the city of Boston. In a scramble, they booked the Royale, but a ton of people got sent away for a "dress code" that Gamers Gone Wild was told would be waived for the evening. (Check out their Facebook event page from last year: http://www.facebook.com/events/329912180380991/ ) Sucks. :(

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular
    Please excuse me if this has already been answered, but is there a Gamers Gone Wild party this year?
    Not that I've been able to find. :( Makes me really sad because of what happened last year.

What happened last year?

They planned a HUGE shindig at Felt in Boston, but mere days before, Felt got shut down by the city of Boston. In a scramble, they booked the Royale, but a ton of people got sent away for a "dress code" that Gamers Gone Wild was told would be waived for the evening. (Check out their Facebook event page from last year: http://www.facebook.com/events/329912180380991/ ) Sucks. :(

oh wow :/

• Options

What happened last year?

oh wow :/

Yeah, they really got shafted. :(

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    kohanaikohanai Registered User regular
    RSVP'd for Curse. If I can somehow drink enough over the course of PAX that I'm unconscious the entire twelve-hour train ride home, I'm going to be thrilled.

You and me... we can be friends.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Man, reading that FB thread makes me pissed all over again. I remember talking with Andrew the day of the party, when they had just found out that Felt couldn't host them, and they were scrambling to find a new place. Felt awful for them.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    DigitalNoob.com links me to monster.com Are they still in business?

• Options
    CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Felt awful for them.

Ba dum-dum, crash.

But seriously, I was looking forward to that party. It was my first PAX and I had heard so much about that bash. Shame it didn't work out.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    DigitalNoob.com links me to monster.com Are they still in business?

DigitalNoob linked up with EGM like 8 months ago. You can find them here:
    http://www.egmnow.com/digitalnoob/

@Cataleptical - Would you believe me if I said I didn't mean to do that?

vttym on
  • Options
    CodyMFFCCodyMFFC Registered User regular
    curse without the open bar in seattle was pretty terrible. it may have been the venue mixed with my expectations but i was very let down. hopefully this can be decent even with only 2 free drinks. also i got into the royale for the ggw party and you werent missing much. place was dead and drink were insanely over priced

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Unfortunately in most of these venues drinks will be pretty over priced. Pregaming is your friend!

• Options
    I think if you look at parties more as a way to let loose a little bit with fellow gamers, and less as an open-bar wedding of someone you barely know, you'll be OK. Have a budget for parties, and know that the ones that are open sign-up are going to be more crowded than the ones that are by invite or have a cost up front with a limited number of tix available.

I know I got lucky last year with the World of Tanks party, and that probably won't happen again this year. But Boston has a ton of cool places to be at, and it only takes getting a few gamers together to turn a bar night into a party of your own.

And as @JayDfromMA says, pregaming certainly makes paying for drinks a bit more tolerable.

• Options
    EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    I agree with @vttym here its not so much about hey its an open bar, but more about hanging out with your fellow gamers. This is why I picked the CCP party over Curse so I could hang out with not only my corp/alliance/coalition mates but get to meet other EvE players as well. I havent the slightest clue if it will be open bar or not (always nice but dont really care).

Good planning is what will really save you here, parties like curse will be packed while other places are limited for various reasons. Plan your budget and stick with it and just have fun.

• Options
    Man, there need to be more parties. :( This is depressing.

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    I'm keeping positive and thinking there is more to come. Half the fun is in the hunt!

• Options
    xilxil New YorkRegistered User regular
    Man, there need to be more parties. :( This is depressing.

most of the good parties aren't public, but random people are invited alot. You can always ask any devs that you talk to on the floor

Gaming Conventions:
    E3 2011 (as part of Ubisoft)!
    PAX East 2012, 2013
    --
  • Options
    DKTheArcadeRatDKTheArcadeRat Registered User regular
    Sent an email to Turbine but didn't get anything back. Anyone? Also RSVP'd for Curse. Will be there with some friends. This is my third year going to PAX, 2nd on the party circuit. Come find me and see if you can keep up with the partying.

• Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Just signed up for Curse Party. Now just to decide when I go/if I skip JoCo...hmmm

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    angrymonkeyfightangrymonkeyfight Captain Awesome Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Here is another Thurs night bar crawl for anyone who wasn't able to get in on the Pokecrawl: http://paxeastbarcrawl.eventbrite.com/

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    MADCATZ Party is now free .... Got a refund.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It'd be awesome for something to happen Sunday evening, for sure.

Will keep radar on.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    MADCATZ Party is now free .... Got a refund.

Smart - put a fee up there to cut out the riff-raff, then have it be free and awesome. Good for you for getting in on that :)

I still wouldn't have passed on the Rock Band party, but good to hear of your good fortune!

• Options
    Wow that is an interesting move. I am guessing this means that no more tickets will be released/available?

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Sent an email to Turbine but didn't get anything back. Anyone? Also RSVP'd for Curse. Will be there with some friends. This is my third year going to PAX, 2nd on the party circuit. Come find me and see if you can keep up with the partying.

I saw a twitter from Sapience earlier today saying they had responded to all RSVP's. If you still haven't heard anything, I'd suggest contacting them again.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    DKTheArcadeRatDKTheArcadeRat Registered User regular
    Delaney wrote: »

I saw a twitter from Sapience earlier today saying they had responded to all RSVP's. If you still haven't heard anything, I'd suggest contacting them again.

I got an email earlier today, which I then had a problem with so they helped me out. It is all taken care of!

• Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    A different kind of party, with Jared Sorensen (the guy behind Action Castle/Parsley) and the Dirty Nerdy Revue.

"...Along with audience games, super sweet prize raffles and all this burlesque goodness, we are also super excited to have Jared Sorensen, founder of Memento Mori Theatricks, who will be running one of his parsely games (chosen by the audience)!

Tickets $15 with a free raffle ticket if you show your PAX badge. Presale tickets available soon via BrownPaperTickets.com. The theatre will have limited seating, so buy early to guarantee yourself a seat!"

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/350066

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Oh boy, I'll be going to two parties in one night it seems.

I'll probably hit up Sanshee bright and early since I actually paid for that one, and at 10 or 11pm depending on how things are going I'll probably slip on over to Curse to close out the night.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    IGN just posted this on their homepage. Figured this could at least keep the thread going.

IGN Meet & Greet

When: Saturday, March 23 -- 5pm-8pm
    Where: TBD - At this exact moment, the IGN Party Time Strike Force is securing a location for fun times.
    What: Consumption of food and drinks, and delightful conversation. Also, cool people. For clarity, no consuming of cool people will be permitted.
    Who: You! Also, IGN's Daemon Hatfield, Greg Miller, Casey Lynch, Mitch Dyer, and Marty Sliva, as well as Destin Legarie and Mike Aransky. Did we mention super secret special guests will be in attendance? They will be. And they're awesome. You're going to want to meet them.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

I wonder if it'll be awkward to ask them about the recent sale to Ziff Davis and the IPL6 cancellation

>.<'

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    elleecstaticelleecstatic Registered User regular
    I know this is probably a super stupid question, but does anyone know if theres any non-age restricted goings on/parties happening during/after/before pax? Sorta sucks because I dont turn 21 till may [insert a bunch of expletives here]

• Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Just a reminder to everyone, a lot of parties aren't publicly announced - go up to booths and ask them!

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know this is probably a super stupid question, but does anyone know if theres any non-age restricted goings on/parties happening during/after/before pax? Sorta sucks because I dont turn 21 till may [insert a bunch of expletives here]

Same here. It's the worst 1st-world problem when we're getting to go to such a fun event; to be just a FEW months shy of missing out on a lot fun things and parties happening. :| I'd love to hear about the all-ages parties happening! At Prime in August, I ended up just heading out early with friends instead of checking out the all-ages events, and now I regret that. As long as it's really fun, it doesn't need to have alcohol, right. ;)

(That said, I'm sure there are some. I heard about some all-aged parties at Prime - of course after they happened. I'm sure there are a lot of them here, too. The only problem for the party-throwers are their venue's policies or open-bar setup.)

• Options
    I will be checking around and asking as many vendors as possible. It's also a good idea to keep an eye on this thread as people like to share the info!

• Options
    Malfeis wrote: »
    A different kind of party, with Jared Sorensen (the guy behind Action Castle/Parsley) and the Dirty Nerdy Revue.

"...Along with audience games, super sweet prize raffles and all this burlesque goodness, we are also super excited to have Jared Sorensen, founder of Memento Mori Theatricks, who will be running one of his parsely games (chosen by the audience)!

Tickets $15 with a free raffle ticket if you show your PAX badge. Presale tickets available soon via BrownPaperTickets.com. The theatre will have limited seating, so buy early to guarantee yourself a seat!"

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/350066

Omg, I like, REALLY want to go to this! This sounds amazing!

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    Yay! Updated the OP and even added a BioShock cosplay contest from Irrational! http://irrationalgames.com/insider/bioshock-cosplay-contest-at-pax-east-2013/

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options

Same here. It's the worst 1st-world problem when we're getting to go to such a fun event; to be just a FEW months shy of missing out on a lot fun things and parties happening. :| I'd love to hear about the all-ages parties happening! At Prime in August, I ended up just heading out early with friends instead of checking out the all-ages events, and now I regret that. As long as it's really fun, it doesn't need to have alcohol, right. ;)

(That said, I'm sure there are some. I heard about some all-aged parties at Prime - of course after they happened. I'm sure there are a lot of them here, too. The only problem for the party-throwers are their venue's policies or open-bar setup.)

Believe me, I'm sure that if the companies could have these parties be 18+, they would. The venues set the rules, and unfortunately that means that most of them will say 21+ just to be on the safe side.

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    agreatrandomagreatrandom Wizard Outside BostonRegistered User regular
    Yay! Updated the OP and even added a BioShock cosplay contest from Irrational! http://irrationalgames.com/insider/bioshock-cosplay-contest-at-pax-east-2013/
    Glad I was able to convince the lady to do Bioshock Infinite cosplay with me this year!

5rOQuX4.png

Design Wizard, Pizza Enthusiast, Craft Beer Extraordinare from MA
  • Options
    Glad I was able to convince the lady to do Bioshock Infinite cosplay with me this year!

Make sure you dress up on either Friday or Saturday day, and be sure to find an Irrational employee! :)

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular

Undeadlabs will be having a get together Friday or Saturday night. They are hammering out the details right now.
    Really interested in this thread. This will be my first PAX!

• Options
    Seanyd781Seanyd781 Registered User regular

i was in your shoes last year, only being 20 attending PAX. However, last year the Curse party was 18+ so I don't see it being any different this time around. Go RSVP!

• Options
    xilxil New YorkRegistered User regular
    Curse didn't say it was any diff from last years restriction sooo what are ya waiting for!

Gaming Conventions:
    E3 2011 (as part of Ubisoft)!
    PAX East 2012, 2013
    --
This discussion has been closed.