As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tourneys at PAX

GausGaus Registered User regular
Have tournaments become less important at PAX? The first year I went to PAX East, every tournament I had entered was run by an enforcer, and the respected medals were given out at the end, and for the most part, everything was great.

But by the third year, there's been everything from the people having to remind the enforcers that a tournament exists, to enforcers asking people in the tournament to run it themselves, to no medals at the end. Start times being moved after people have already signed up ( so they now have no way of knowing ) was a major problem last year. Not knowing what games are actually going to have tourneys until a week before the convention is a whole other matter.

Do you feel that tournaments are more of an after thought, and should be thought of as such?

P.S. Handheld tourneys have always be great, and a big thanks to the people that run those!

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    I've always thought tournaments are of pretty small importance overall (to me personally). I'm ok with this. I do, however, think that like every other thing, if it's going to happen it should happen with consistency and effective communication.

Edit: In addition, I hope you provided your feedback effectively through the post-pax feedback survey that gets sent out. I know each and every response to that survey is read very carefully.

zerzhul on
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Hi Gaus,

If you're not talking about PC Tourney's specifically, then the rest of my response probably doesn't matter.

If you are talking about PC tournaments specifically, we do our best to run them as efficiently as possible. A lot of the PC tournaments are sponsored tournaments (read exhibitors pay big bucks to put them on) and sometimes those sponsored tournaments desire last minute changes to content and/or schedules which make it hard to communicate that out to all of the Enforcers. There have even been tournaments put on, ran, and organized by sponsors themselves, which sometimes do not get communicated up the chain.

That said, there isn't a huge focus on tournaments, because of everything else PAX is. However, we know people love competition and so do our terrific sponsors and exhibitors, so we at least try to have 1 or 2 large scale PC tourneys at each PAX.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • GausGaus Registered User regular
    Hey Vapok,

I've actually never been in a PC tourney. I was mostly commenting on the console and board game tournaments I've been in. Sorry for the confusion.

• Red RegexRed Regex Visioneer, Red Foe Games MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I've participated in a few of the tabletop tournaments, which were pretty casual but that I liked it that way. When all that's on the line is a button or a leftover promo card, everybody treats it more like a massive friendly game. Everybody was playing to win, but it was all in the spirit of fun.

In one, someone else had failed to return a copy of the game to the lending library the night before, so the organizers were going to have to bump out the last four to register. One of the participants (who was not one of the ones who'd be bumped) offered their own copy for play so everybody could get in. Something like that would be a lot less likely to happen if it were super-cutthroat.

Pro tip for the best chances to win: any tournament before noon on Sunday seems to have around 75% of signups drop out due to partying too hard the night before.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I've only ever done 4 tournaments in the 4 PAXes I've been to: Two handheld Mario Kart DS (East 2010 (2nd place), Super Smash Bros N64 (East 2012) and Prime 2012 (3rd place)), and they were both run great. The enforcers in the handheld lounge are awesome.

The other was a tabletop tournament at Prime 2012, a YGO Traditional Format one where a whopping 3 people showed up (hey, at least I came in first...). I know YGO Traditional is pretty dead, but I wasn't too thrilled about the way the guys there were running it, but that's just me.

The SSB tournament I was knocked out first round, but it seemed fine.

Now at East 2011 there was a Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament that was just run poorly beyond all reason. We waited for almost 2 hours and only a handful of matches were done (because of how terrible the staff was for it). Anybody else at the same tournament will vouch for it, tons of people just ended up leaving (myself and friends included).

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I played in a:

-Peggle tourney at Prime about 2 years ago and that was run well (2nd place). No hiccups.

-Street Fighter IV tournament at Prime about 2 years ago and that was run well (knocked out first round). No hiccups.

-Mario Kart DS tournament at East 2012 and no issues. Seemed very organized.

-Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil tournament at the Cryptzoic booth at East 2012. Ran super smooth. I really hope this happens again.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    My problem is tournaments that are never told they are tournaments. The Catan Qualifiers last year were also considered PAX East tournaments. So the top finishers on Friday and Saturday got PAX medals along with the other swag all of the semi-finalist got. No one knew this was a PAX tournament including the two people who won. In the first year I think tournaments were better advertised and as the show has grown it has gotten more confusing. Those who run them do a great job but getting the word out as to the whens and wheres is just a problem.

PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently
  • schattyschatty Registered User regular
    Speaking specifically to the tabletop tourneys. Last year they were trying something new at East, which didn't really work out. I think the schedule was a little confusing, and it ended up with some low attendance. I would expect the tourney's to run differently this year, and hopefully it will work out better.

• FriendOfAnimalsFriendOfAnimals Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Do the boardgame tournaments have a leader yet? I really appreciate all the work you guys do, but just wanted to voice that I felt it was immeasurably easier to enter tournaments in 2011 than 2012. Anyone have any similar or conflicting views?

To further elaborate, I thought it was really tough to ever find people to play a tournament game (Carc, Dominion) with the system last year - where you could play over huge blocks of time as opposed to a set time. The year before you could set aside the few hours the tournament was scheduled for and decide if it was worth missing other things. I wasted multiple hours trying to find enough people to get full games going but never succeeded in 2012. Considering all other gaming tournaments at PAX have a set time, I didn't understand the change, but obviously am not privy to the reasoning.

Also - since the tournament organizers needed to have the tournament games for huge blocks of times, it meant way less popular games in the library for longer periods of time.

Thanks and curious on anyone else's opinion!

FriendOfAnimals on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up to HH tourney fans that we're going with the Prime kind of schedule this year instead of the usual East schedule where you have two choices for entering the first round. We wanted to fit in more games :)

• LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Do the boardgame tournaments have a leader yet?

Yep, they do. I'll prod at him to make a post.
    I really appreciate all the work you guys do, but just wanted to voice that I felt it was immeasurably easier to enter tournaments in 2011 than 2012. Anyone have any similar or conflicting views?

Thanks :) I'll take the fall for why 2012's board game tournaments weren't so successful. At Prime 2011, we tried the block format for Dominion, as a test. It worked phenominally, so I recommended that we expand this format to more of our tournaments. It didn't work out.

So, at Prime 2012, we changed things up again, and I think this time it really clicked, and we have the winning formula for East.

To see what we did at Prime 2012, check out the Prime 2012 Tabletop Tournament Schedule. A very similar system will be used for PAX East 2013, with the most popular tournaments having a Friday Qualifier, a Saturday Qualifier, and the top performers from each qualifier feed into the Finals on Sunday for each game.

Look for the PAX East 2013 tabletop tournament schedule soon!

Lackey on
  • EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    Will there be any input from the forumers as to the modern console tournaments going on this year? I know there was a Blur tournament (or Blurnament, if you will) last year and I'd love to see it again.

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
    Lackey wrote: »
    I really appreciate all the work you guys do, but just wanted to voice that I felt it was immeasurably easier to enter tournaments in 2011 than 2012. Anyone have any similar or conflicting views?

Thanks :) I'll take the fall for why 2012's board game tournaments weren't so successful. At Prime 2011, we tried the block format for Dominion, as a test. It worked phenominally, so I recommended that we expand this format to more of our tournaments. It didn't work out.

So, at Prime 2012, we changed things up again, and I think this time it really clicked, and we have the winning formula for East.

To see what we did at Prime 2012, check out the Prime 2012 Tabletop Tournament Schedule. A very similar system will be used for PAX East 2013, with the most popular tournaments having a Friday Qualifier, a Saturday Qualifier, and the top performers from each qualifier feed into the Finals on Sunday for each game.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Glad to hear you guys are all over it! Looking at the Prime schedule, I think it makes more sense to me now. Also, it looks like Carcassonne was set up as a single few hour tournament at Prime which was the main one that seemed really tough over multiple days given the short gameplay time. Thanks again and see everybody in a few weeks!

Lackey wrote: »

Thanks a lot for the reply. Glad to hear you guys are all over it! Looking at the Prime schedule, I think it makes more sense to me now. Also, it looks like Carcassonne was set up as a single few hour tournament at Prime which was the main one that seemed really tough over multiple days given the short gameplay time. Thanks again and see everybody in a few weeks!

• c_losc_los Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    I don't know who was responsible for putting your PC Tourney schedule together, but this person needs to be replaced. http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc

Why do the tabletop tournaments get to be about the games people love while the PC tournaments are about showcasing the latest casual-pc-gamer trend?

No Team Fortress 2? No SC2? No DotA? No LoL? No Battlefield 3? No Left4Dead? No WoW? No Warcraft 3? No StreetFighter x Tekken? Not even CoD, HoN, Halo, or Mortal Kombat? There is probably no point in mentioning Battlefield 1942 or Quake 3/4 or CS:S/1.6 as I doubt these games would even be considered. Maybe it's just me, but when I go to a PC LAN, I'm there for the adrenaline and excitement of playing competitive games. The games with the interesting complexities and challenges that a PC allows for. Instead you have 3 mediocre casual shooters nobody's heard of and a sandbox game. Games that I could just play on my 360 at home and that I can all but guarantee no one will be playing in the PC free-to-play arena.

If this is the trend PAX is following with PC tourneys, please just don't hold them. In light of the fact that there are 22 console tournaments and 39 table-top tournaments, it's just a huge disappointment.

c_los on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    They don't even have Kolibri.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2013
    A lot of the games you are talking about probably have the vendors holding their own tournaments or events. The tournaments on the PAX schedule are the ones that PAX is putting on as far as I know. BYOC, btw, is doing SC2 and DotA.

zerzhul on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    c_los wrote: »
    ...mediocre casual shooters nobody's heard of...

CS:GO and Warsow are casual? Are you serious?
    CS:GO is Counter-Strike. One of the least "casual" shooters out there, and always in the top-10 most-played games on Steam.
    Warsow is based on Quake 2, one of the fastest and most skill-heavy shooters ever, and has had a community since 2005.

• mala_cavillamala_cavilla Registered User new member
    How does one register for a tourney?

• FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    No LoL Tournament is interesting, usually riot games has such a big presence at PAX East.

I may sign up for the CS:GO Tournament, do we know what the format is?

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    How does one register for a tourney?

FireWater wrote: »
    No LoL Tournament is interesting, usually riot games has such a big presence at PAX East.

I may sign up for the CS:GO Tournament, do we know what the format is?

Riot is doing their own thing in their booth including a major event, so we're not doing a LoL tournament. As far as additional details go:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175847/pax-east-2013-pc-tournaments-info
    I don't know who was responsible for putting your PC Tourney schedule together, but this person needs to be replaced. http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc

Buck stops here. We have a lot of various considerations to balance, I'm happy to talk about a few of them briefly. We plan for our available bandwidth (it's more expensive than printer ink and needs to be shared with ~800 machines), the amount of time each tournament is going to take, our available infrastructure, what's going on with the rest of the expo, our available staff, our available admins, and what's popular. From there we think about what's gotten a little stale (*cough*TF2*cough*) and what might conflict with an exhibitor or an exhibitor event (LoL). We also think about the flex that it's going to take away from PC Freeplay, because the lines are Disneyland-esque and we want to make sure that Freeplay has as many machines as possible.
    Maybe it's just me, but when I go to a PC LAN, I'm there for the adrenaline and excitement of playing competitive games. The games with the interesting complexities and challenges that a PC allows for.

You sound like you would be interested in our BYOC area. Think about it for Prime or next East!

yBfDKg5.png
  • c_losc_los Registered User new member
    I will definitely be spending lots of time at the Freeplay arena, but I was hoping to have the same experience in a tournament/competitive format. As I've said before, just feels disappointing not seeing iconic LAN games at a LAN. Thanks for the response!

Hey just out of curiosity, will the Freeplay Area have FireFall installed?

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular

No, we couldn't get it on the machines this year.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    From personal experience with tournies every year at PAX East since the first one in 2010, unfortunately I have to say I agree with @Gaus that the console tournaments I participated in were not run as well as they were in the first year. The first year in 2010 I got 2nd place in Street Fighter 2 and won a nice controller and a medal. The next year, in 2011 I got 3rd place and a medal but first and second received no prizes as they used to. Last year, there was a lot of confusion on the rules and no prizes or medals at all for either tournament I played in. I don't know what happened but it does seem like some tournaments especially the less popular games are an afterthought now.

Oh and @c_los, Counterstrike: GO is basically CS 1.6 with updated graphics and it's even more competitive than Source. Any CS fan should know this. However, I'll agree with you that there should be more PC tournaments on the schedule rather then the handful they have now.

Darkshowers on
    Ds3hsEH.png
    Vapok wrote: »

Bummer I know they are releasing a major milestone patch the first day of pax

• GausGaus Registered User regular
    From personal experience with tournies every year at PAX East since the first one in 2010, unfortunately I have to say I agree with @Gaus that the console tournaments I participated in were not run as well as they were in the first year. The first year in 2010 I got 2nd place in Street Fighter 2 and won a nice controller and a medal. The next year, in 2011 I got 3rd place and a medal but first and second received no prizes as they used to. Last year, there was a lot of confusion on the rules and no prizes or medals at all for either tournament I played in. I don't know what happened but it does seem like some tournaments especially the less popular games are an afterthought now.

Oh and @c_los, Counterstrike: GO is basically CS 1.6 with updated graphics and it's even more competitive than Source. Any CS fan should know this. However, I'll agree with you that there should be more PC tournaments on the schedule rather then the handful they have now.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one..

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »

Bummer I know they are releasing a major milestone patch the first day of pax
    I think Red 5 is bringing their Firefall tankbus full of computers for playing during the convention.

• yockyock Registered User regular
    Is there a listing of the Sponsored PC Tournaments? The ones sponsored by other companies not necessarily by PAX?

• KmessKmess PAX PC Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    I will definitely be spending lots of time at the Freeplay arena, but I was hoping to have the same experience in a tournament/competitive format. As I've said before, just feels disappointing not seeing iconic LAN games at a LAN. Thanks for the response!

Please stop by the booth and we can chat. We are always looking for additional volunteers / good feedback.

Like taumeson mentioned, running PC tournaments take a lot of planning and experience. It's not simple to point of saying - ok we'll host a WoW PVP tournament, thats that. If that were the case, a lot of tournaments would be potentially cancelled or executed poorly. We plan with all of the teams in the PC area (server / network / PCFP / Security / BYOC), look at the requirements / conflicts / concerns and then measure the feasibility of all tournaments. Some tournaments make it in, some of them don't.