As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokecrawl Episode 4: The Power of One!

Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
pokecrawlbanner.png

Facebook Event Page

Prologue

You awaken to a fresh Johto Journey Hangover, clutching 8 shiny badges. Or maybe you don't have any badges. Not everyone can be the Ash Ketchum of drinking.

I'm getting off topic.

Anyway, you're hungover and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. You might as well continue your Pokemon journey and head back to Kanto for some more badges. But we're not about to tread old territory. In your haze you manage to trip, fall, and land back in the Orange Islands. Y'know, that whole region we skipped over last year due to your Mewtwo Hangover.

Because that's where Lugia and Ho-oh are and we need some sort of flimsy story-line in order to drink.

What This Is

Welcome to PAX East version of the PrePAX bar crawl. You may remember me from the other PrePAX bar crawl, The Triwizard Drinking Tournament. Or if this is your first PAX, maybe not. In any case, the Pokecrawl is a barcrawl/scavenger hunt that's Pokemon themed. The goal is to get as drunk as possible while participating in drinking games designed to get you there. Oh yeah, it's also a great way to meet fellow PAXers and make friends before the convention itself. As always, attendees will be encouraged to come dressed as characters from the Pokemon universe (1st & 2nd generations).

What This Isn't

This still isn't a kegger at the Theta Phi Delta. It's also not Wizard, Twilight, or even TwiWizard themed. We wouldn't want to get punched in the face, now would we?

What's New For Episode 4

New method of registration: As you are all aware, registration for Episode 4 as well as all future episodes will be handled through Eventbrite. You can check out the event page here. There is no waiting list as its functionality does not work with our event. Any cancelled registrations are returned immediately to the pool.

Capture Lugia or Ho-Oh!: Did you catch the three legendary dogs last year? If so, bring your bonus button this year for your chance to compete in the bonus challenge to capture the ultimate Pokemon: Lugia or Ho-oh!

How To Participate

Check out the Eventbrite page for details on how to register. You will need to bring a printout of your registration confirmation or have it available on your smart device when you check in. As with my other bar crawls, I will be asking each participant for a donation of at least $1 for Child's Play. This donation will get you your scorecard and your team's button. The team that raises the most gets bragging rights after I present the collected donations to Gabe & Tycho.

Scorecard
pokecard.jpg

When This Is

This event happens on Thursday March 21st, 2013 at 7:30pm. Note that the PrePax Dinner ends at 7pm.

Team Red

For those who've chosen Cyndaquil, now Typhlosion. Highly spirited and quick to anger. You're governed by the element of Fire. Weak vs Water.

Silver
Professor: AtlusParker
Assistant♂: ArcticXC
Assistant♀: Mrs Atlus Parker

Schedule & Challenges:
Team Red Silver

0730 Bell in Hand vs Team Red Gold
0830 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Green Gold
0930 The Place vs Team Yellow Gold
1030 Clarke's vs Team Blue Gold
1130 Stadium vs Team Red Gold
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a fire or rock type Pokemon or Trainer

Gold
Professor: ArsonIsFun
Assistant♂:
Assistant♀: chaosisorder

0730 Bell in Hand vs Team Red Silver
0830 Clarke's vs Team Green Silver
0930 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Yellow Silver
1030 Stadium vs Team Blue Silver
1130 Stadium vs Team Red Silver
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a fire or rock type Pokemon or Trainer

Button
teamread.jpg

Team Green

For those who've chosen Chikorita, now Meganium. Tolerant of others and even tempered. You're governed by the element of Grass. Weak vs Fire.

Silver
Professor: juju
Assistant♂: peetsnack
Assistant♀: SWAE

0730 Stadium vs Team Green Gold
0830 Clarke's vs Team Red Gold
0930 Wild Rover vs Team Blue Gold
1030 Bell in Hand vs Team Yellow Gold
1130 Bell in Hand vs Team Green Gold
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a grass or bug type Pokemon or Trainer

Gold
Professor: delicious3.14
Assistant♂: Certain.shade.of.green
Assistant♀: devlish

0730 Stadium vs Team Green Silver
0830 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Red Silver
0930 Clarke's vs Team Blue Silver
1030 Wild Rover vs Team Yellow Silver
1130 Bell in Hand vs Team Green Silver
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a grass or bug type Pokemon or Trainer

Button
teamgreen.jpg

Team Yellow

For those who've chosen Mareep, now Ampharos. You are an untamed spirit and refuse to surrender. You're governed by the Electric element. Weak vs Grass.

Silver
Professor: Victoryoftheppl
Assistant♂: Vanzandtt
Assistant♀: Gilberta

0730 Clarke's vs Team Yellow Gold
0830 Bell in Hand vs Team Blue Gold
0930 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Red Gold
1030 Wild Rover vs Team Green Gold
1130 Clarke's vs Team Yellow Gold
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a lightning or dragon type Pokemon or Trainer

Gold
Professor: Randomfool
Assistant♂: gfish
Assistant♀: BambiBlue

0730 Clarke's vs Team Yellow Silver
0830 Wild Rover vs Team Blue Silver
0930 The Place vs Team Red Silver
1030 Bell in Hand vs Team Green Silver
1130 Clarke's vs Team Yellow Silver
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a lightning or dragon type Pokemon or Trainer

Button
teamyellow.jpg

Team Blue

For those who've chosen Totodile, now Feraligatr. A rascal and a trickster. You're governed by the element of Water. Weak vs Electric.

Silver
Professor: Singollo
Assistant♂: RidleyDragon
Assistant♀:

0730 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Blue Gold
0830 Wild Rover vs Team Yellow Gold
0930 Clarke's vs Team Green Gold
1030 Stadium vs Team Red Gold
1130 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Blue Gold
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a water or ice type Pokemon or Trainer

Gold
Professor: Aylaviere
Assistant♂: Capeguy
Assistant♀:

0730 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Blue Silver
0830 Bell in hand vs Team Yellow Silver
0930 Wild Rover vs Team Green Silver
1030 Clarke's vs Team Red Silver
1130 Kitty O'Shea's vs Team Blue Silver
PokeGear Challenge: Dress up as a water or ice type Pokemon or Trainer

Button
The Challenges
Challenge 1: New Friends and Foes

Pair off with an opponent. If you think they are a friend to you then buy them a beer or shot of their choice. If you think that they are a foe then buy them a beer or shot of your choice. The method you use to determine whether or not they are a friend or foe is up to you.

Challenge 2: Prepare For Trouble

Pair up with an opponent and order them their least favorite beer, drink, or shot. And make it double. After your opponent drinks their two drinks they do the same for you. Then blast off at the speed of light.

Challenge 3: The Prophecy

Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice, and Lightning.

Or do. I'm a prophecy. Not a cop. Between you and your opponent order 3 shots: 1 Whisky (Fire), 1 Vodka (Ice), and 1 Tequila (Lightning). Between the two of you, all 3 shots must be consumed to complete this challenge.

Challenge 4: Pokemon World

Order your opponent a mixed drink that matches your colors team. Your opponent does the same for you.

Challenge 5: The Power of One (More Shot)

One shot really can change the course of your night. Order a drink for yourself then your opponent orders a shot for you. Add the shot to your drink and consume.

Wildcard Challenge: Costume

Come in a costume that fits the theme of your team. This challenge is necessary to complete your scorecard.

Bonus Challenge: Capture Lugia or Ho-oh

After completing your scorecard, present your Legendary Dog button to your professor in order to take on the legndary Pokemon: Lugia and Ho-oh. Silver team members have the chance to catch Lugia by downing a double shot of silver tequila. Gold team members can take on Ho-oh by downing a double shot of gold tequila.

How Do I Win?

There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to finish your scorecards, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have indeed "drank 'em all". Still not enough? That leads us to...

Catch Lugia or Ho-oh!

For those of you who think the standard drinking challenges aren't hardcore enough, there is one final challenge that can be tackled at the end of the night. If you present your Legendary Dog button to your professor after completing your scorecard you can engage in one last drinking battle to capture either Lugia (Silver) or Ho-oh (Gold). Yes, it involves tequila.

Check out the buttons:
lugiaa.jpghoohh.jpg

Tips & Tricks

Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home. Don't get punched in the face. This is Boston, after all.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Pokemon Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Brock, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Respect the Professor and their Assistants: Anyone designated as a Prof/Asst for the crawl isn't there just to hand out stickers; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with Tom Cruise, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

Guidelines For Trainer Duels

When approaching a bar that has a designated trainer duel as its challenge, pair up with your opponent outside. That way we can avoid as much confusion inside the bar itself as we can. Order your drinks together. You pay for your opponent's drink. If you want to buy your opponent a $50 shot that's up to you but that's your financial burden. In addition to the rules of that particular challenge, keep the drink you order at 2 shots or less. Also there can only be alcohol and soda/juice/etc in the drink. Your usual mixers. I don't want to hear about anyone ordering each other Cowboy Killers, Cement Mixer, Bloody Tampons, or whatever other crap you sickos think up.

Map?

Map.

Previous Bar Crawls (ie my credentials)

The First Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament
The Second Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament
The Third Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament
The Fourth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament
The Fifth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament

Pokecrawl Episode 1: The Adventure Begins!
Pokecrawl Episode 2: Mewtwo Strikes Back!
Pokecrawl Episode 3: A Brand New World

I like the buttons/logo/etc

The buttons and logo were all lovingly designed by Mrs Atlus Parker with text by Yamara.

Atlus Parker on

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    Where are the routes?

@ArsonIsFun is still working on them. Don't worry, you'll know where you're going. At least for the first couple of bars.

Where are the sober assistants?

We'll have them if we have the volunteers to fill the positions. If you're interested in participating as a sober assistant and herding cats for a few hours, please contact a professor directly.

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    I am excite!

PW0oFIs.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    So to be clear if it's my first year I can't catch Luigia or Ho-Oh but what badges do I need to get to do that challenge next year?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    So to be clear if it's my first year I can't catch Luigia or Ho-Oh but what badges do I need to get to do that challenge next year?

If this is your first year you won't be able to go for Lugia/Ho-oh but next year a new 2 year challenge will start so you won't need anything.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Do I just have to do all the challenges this year to be eligible next year?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    edited March 2013

For whatever the final button will be next year, yes.

You will need the final (pre-Lugia/Ho-oh) button to get the bonus button next year.

The other trick: you need to not lose the button between this year and next.

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2013

You will need the final (pre-Lugia/Ho-oh) button to get the bonus button next year.

No. According to what Atlus just posted, next year will start a new 2-year challenge where the slate is wiped clean.

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote: »

No. According to what Atlus just posted, next year will start a new 2-year challenge where the slate is wiped clean.

No, I misread it, you are totally right.

What team are you on?

PW0oFIs.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Oh man I'm so excited, I really want to find out what challenges 2 and 4 are.

Blue Silver represent! GO BLUE TEAM!

Also... dressing up as a water/ice trainer/Pokemon? Damn, I feel like I need to do something but I don't know what :/

TheAggroCraig on
    Oh man I'm so excited, I really want to find out what challenges 2 and 4 are.

Blue Silver represent! GO BLUE TEAM!

Also... dressing up as a water/ice trainer/Pokemon? Damn, I feel like I need to do something but I don't know what :/

I'm the asst. on that team!

Think about it, any sort of water/ice trainer from the game, if you make shirts for it we will probably count that.

Be creative!

PW0oFIs.png
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Is there a Pokecrawl Lightweight League? I wanted to do this last year and this year, but 6 drinks would put me in the hospital. I wish I were joking.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'll be representing Red Gold :)

@aikoe you definitely do not need to do all the challenges :)

aikoe wrote: »
    Is there a Pokecrawl Lightweight League? I wanted to do this last year and this year, but 6 drinks would put me in the hospital. I wish I were joking.

You don't *have* to do all the challenges, especially if you are going to get badly ill.

PW0oFIs.png
  • EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I am very happy to see our tequila challenges again and even happier being blue silver and seeing my lugia challenge being silver tequila.

Now all I have to do is find my buttons and get out my blue team shirt and i am ready to go.

@aikoe you dont have to do all the challenges, you could also volunteer to help out the crawl.

EchoZero on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    aikoe wrote: »

You don't *have* to do all the challenges, especially if you are going to get badly ill.

Yeah, a lot of the fun is just being there and going from pub to pub with inebriated nerds. If all it takes is one or two to get you there, then do so safely, and then walk with us for the rest and join the fun!

• KrayolaKrayola BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I can not wait. GO yellow- Silver!
    Curious, my partner is dressing as a pokemon that is mainly a psychic pokemon but can learn a lightening move. Does that count as a lightening pokemon xD

Krayola on
    Pokecrawl 2013 Team Yellow Silver. Pikachu!
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    for those still looking to get in - there will be a few spots opening up on Yellow Silver, once we figure out how to cancel our tickets - so keep an eye out for them.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    MY BODY IS NOT READY!

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • FugitoidFugitoid New York, USARegistered User regular
    I want to capture Lugia, but this will be my first Pokecrawl. If anyone happens to not want to do the challenge I would be happy to take it on for you.

• gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    MY BODY IS NOT READY!

THIS is what my body is FOR!

-- PokeTron: Ampharos
  • PRationalityPRationality CinderAley NJRegistered User regular
    I am ready! Probably! I told my cousins across the pond what's going on and they promised to disown me if I don't make it through at least 3 Challenges XD

• RedwulfRedwulf Registered User regular
    Time is not flying by quick enough, this needs to be here sooner... :-)

Big challenge right now is figuring out how to get from Seaport to Faneuil Hall... early... without drawing overt attention to my pokemon gear... lol

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Lets go Blue Gold!

• TheSeffTheSeff South Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Redwulf wrote: »

Big challenge right now is figuring out how to get from Seaport to Faneuil Hall... early... without drawing overt attention to my pokemon gear... lol
    Take a cab, bring a backpack, change in the bathroom.

I am literally only registered on this forum for the PAX East PokeCrawl; Red Gold four years running. Feel free to ask questions regarding Boston Area bars, restaurants, attractions, etc around PAX East.
    Unfortunately, part of the get-up IS a backpack (as a shell)... and it's setup in such a way that I can't just break it down... /ponder

Unfortunately, part of the get-up IS a backpack (as a shell)... and it's setup in such a way that I can't just break it down... /ponder

You are worried about looking strange in the downtown/back bay area the day before PAX?

I think you'll be fine.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular

You are worried about looking strange in the downtown/back bay area the day before PAX?

I think you'll be fine.

That's what I told him. No one really cares in Boston this time of year. There's PAX and Anime Boston really close together and people are used to it by now.

Why wouldn't you want overt attention?
    (said the enormous attention whore)

I mean, I'm in the seaport and o volunteer for this crawl, so I'll be going down early as well, and I can't imagine I'm the only one who will want to walk down early.

PW0oFIs.png
    I mean, I'm in the seaport and o volunteer for this crawl, so I'll be going down early as well, and I can't imagine I'm the only one who will want to walk down early.

Poketron: Ampharos is in Renaissance and Seaport and supporting the crawl, so we'll also go down early. We did it last year, we can try to rig a cab-share too, but it's pretty normal for them to see us all geared up.

• bluebombardierbluebombardier Registered User regular

According to the MBTA Trip Planner, either the 4 bus to Congress & North or Silver Line 2 to South Station, Red Line to Downtown Crossing, and 93 bus to Congress & North. Be sure to pick up a CharlieCard when you get into the city.

All-subway route: Silver Line 2 to South Station, Red Line to Park Street, Green Line to Government Center, or skip the Green Line altogether and walk 10-15 minutes from Park Street. The subway is a little more dependable than buses, and Park Street Station is smack-dab in middle of downtown Boston, where you can grab a quick dinner at any number of fast food joints (McD's, BK, Wendy's), get a head start on your drinking at some gastropubs (jm Curley, Stoddard's, Max & Dylan's), or treat yourself to finer dining (Marliave, 49 Social, Blu). If you head in early enough, the Clover food truck should be parked between the two subway entrances. They're a vegetarian food truck and their rosemary fries are delicious. If you're feeling adventurous, Chinatown is also a block away (though keep in mind many places are cash only, and all places are cash-preferred).

Go ahead and rock your Pokemon gear with pride. I assure you the people of Boston have seen stranger things.

VqOf6Tv.png
    Oh, I'm sure I will in the end :-)

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Pairing up outside the bar is a great idea (weather permitting)! Locating a match last year got a bit crazy.
    Now to find the 3 dog pins from last year...

5I7JEDi.png
  • SashanSashan Registered User regular
    Scored 2 cancelled tickets - get ready Team Yellow Silver, me and Baka Al have got our drinking hats on :)

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Sashan wrote: »
    Scored 2 cancelled tickets - get ready Team Yellow Silver, me and Baka Al have got our drinking hats on :)

Welcome aboard!

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • boozysmurfboozysmurf Registered User regular
    By gar, I can't wait. This will be, once again, awesome.

BUT HOLY GOD WHY ALWAYS TEQUILA???

Oh, who's kidding who? I'll drink it. All.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think this time I'm going to keep my drinking to just the challenge drinks.

At least until the final bar. If I'm doing okay there, then we good.

• ProeliatorProeliator Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

That was my plan for about... 10 minutes. Then it was "OOOOOOH! They have MAGNER's?! :: Dook dook dook::" I don't recall getting back to the hotel..

• boozysmurfboozysmurf Registered User regular
    Proeliator wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »

That was my plan for about... 10 minutes. Then it was "OOOOOOH! They have MAGNER's?! :: Dook dook dook::" I don't recall getting back to the hotel..

Glad it wasn't just me that fell down that rabbit hole. I always have such good intentions...

• EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    YESSIR! Picked up my ticket to be on Yellow Silver! I'll miss the Squirtle Squad and being on Team Blue, but here's to an electric evening next week! Getting that legendary dog badge last year cost me dearly (missed the coin lunch and had a wicked hangover), but the Lugia/Ho-Oh challenge makes it totally worth it.

And yes, I ordered the t-shirt. Does anyone know if the issues some folks had with Custom Ink have been resolved?

EQV on
    TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
This discussion has been closed.