As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    ICUb wrote: »
    Not that i'd ever give up a shooty weapon, but are there swords/axes/etc ingame?

I am watching a stream from 7 days ago, they have weapons that are specific to the zone that you pick up and they last a certain amount of use, like in Halo. One of them was a big robotic fist. Also, they have a "perk" that recharges your shield when you melee hit. So I'm not sure if they actually have melee weapons like guns, but they have a melee attack and certain stuff you can pick up.

Retaba on
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Nice to hear the melee option is available when you get the (rare)hankering for close combat. Thanks!

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Echo, do you see livestreams a lot? If so can you ask about Collision between players/cars.

Also, is there a way to extend the use of a gun while leveling? Like you have a favorite gun and want to keep using it?
    nevermind, none of the guns can level. Sigh.

Retaba on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    One thing I am a bit weirded out on is how similar it is to Borderlands.

They even keep saying Badass in the live streams which could be a personal thing but uhhh, it is basically the same system.

By system, I mean guns with random effects, 1 big power and a bunch of perks. Shield with effects and armor is just for looks.

Retaba on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »

They even keep saying Badass in the live streams which could be a personal thing but uhhh, it is basically the same system.

By system, I mean guns with random effects, 1 big power and a bunch of perks. Shield with effects and armor is just for looks.

And, like Borderlands, does it have the glaring issue of not really having any inter class/player ability synergy? Or is the combat like Borderlands but with a better emphasis on teamwork and player combos and the like?

488W936.png
  • Options
    earthonlineearthonline Registered User regular
    Figured out what you meant, no here it is http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes

For anyone not knowing, you can find codes spread across things, enter them into your account/ego at the defiance website for some extra in-game stuff.

Thanks, helped a lot

Got me to level 11

Perhaps that link should be added to the OP?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Weapon modification trailer. Yep, it still makes me think of Borderlands, except you get to choose (some of) the stuff on your weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRXhD0KPaY

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Corehealer wrote: »

And, like Borderlands, does it have the glaring issue of not really having any inter class/player ability synergy? Or is the combat like Borderlands but with a better emphasis on teamwork and player combos and the like?

I'd say more like Borderlands, the two abilities I saw, one increased weapon damage by 30% (maxed rank) for so many seconds. The other ability... I forgot but it was more defensive. There are weapon effects that when put on an enemy can increase them taking damage (radiation) or stun them (lightning). Two more abilities I didn't see in the livestream, and a healing gun that you know, heals the people you shoot. Didn't really see a combo system.

To be fair, I'm not sure that is really a big negative. So long as you can make your character able to dish out the damage or absorb, I think class synergy isn't really necessary. I mean in other games the only thing that comes to mind on my account are talents that add a increase damage from source by %. I'd imagine if you have people you play with a bit each could focus on an element as much as they can, so you have one guy stripping shields and another damaging the health?

Although I'm not sure how they handle Exp gain, is it only for the person who kills or split among the party? % of damage?

Retaba on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The next beta is during PAX?

What the fuck Trion

Guess I won't be playing that beta

Anyway really tempted to grab this on Steam. Wish they would have put it up for prepurchase earlier though, at this rate it's looking unlikely for any of the rewards to unlock.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Anyway really tempted to grab this on Steam. Wish they would have put it up for prepurchase earlier though, at this rate it's looking unlikely for any of the rewards to unlock.

It speeds up in the last week, but yeah. Should have started earlier.

• Options
    It went from 6% to 10% just this week, i'll bet it gets all three tiers once they actually advertise the bleeping game.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I want to pick this game up on Steam yet, mostly because I don't know if any of my friends are interested in the game. Some of us really liked Tabula Rasa and I got that feel from the game when I played around with it.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    It went from 6% to 10% just this week, i'll bet it gets all three tiers once they actually advertise the bleeping game.

I almost blindly pre-ordered but am doing due diligence. Why have i not heard of this till now?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    It hasn't gotten a lot of advertisement outside of game areas, as far as I know.

Which is weird considering the tv show.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Well, the tv show is on SyFy and it's sharing the brand ip between them and Trion so it's probably harder to muster up some advertising content as both parties have to sign off on whatever content is released. Though they do have weekly dev streams so... Meh. I don't know.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    If that is how they went about it, it'd be silly.

You could have each side responsible for their own advertisement and they offer each other information/screens of their side. Without the need to bog each other down.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The next beta is during PAX?

What the fuck Trion

Guess I won't be playing that beta

Closed beta?

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I almost blindly pre-ordered but am doing due diligence. Why have i not heard of this till now?

I hate pre ordering stuff too but Trion manages Rift so well I gave them a pass. Fast patches, great stability, good communication, they run a tight ship and deserve to be rewarded with my monies.

• Options
    Yeah, I have good faith in Trion, they did well with Rift. So much fun with my mage. <3

For the first two closed beta weekends, getting a key was pretty easy - plenty of sites that handed them out like candy.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So is the next beta weekend for this open or do I need to go look for one of these candy keys?

488W936.png
  • Options
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the hell out of the beta, and already was gifted a preorder on steam. Can't wait. <3 Seriously considering upgrading to the deluxe edition.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Whats the pay structure here? Pay once and play for free?

thats my guess as theres a dlc pack. is that right?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I'm wary, not because of the game, but because of 'SyFy'.

I'm going to be a snob and be one of those "I remember when that channel was good" or flat out "didn't suck".

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Whats the pay structure here? Pay once and play for free?

thats my guess as theres a dlc pack. is that right?

Yeah, no sub. Buy to play.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    It has microtransactions too, it's hard to keep an MMO running on the initial purchase alone. No idea about what kind of stuff they'll have there.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    They're sure going nuts with the marketing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njljmHsv1Rk

Echo on
  • Options
    I can't watch any scyfy produced videos without thinking about Mansquito, or a bunch of other terrible saturday night movies.

• Options
    I can understand not liking those movies, but it isn't as if they are unaware how bad they are! The whole idea is the cheesy b(maybe c?)-movie thing. So I can't really dislike Sci Fi for doing that.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm interested but the DLC thing is concerning. I wish I knew more about game play to push me one way or another. I guess I'm just on the fence.

The one thing these companies don't realize with such strict NDA's is that they keep people with my temperament from being excited about the game because we can't suck up details.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    I know it's a bit to slog through, but if you're interested in seeing the game:
    http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/videos

They do weekly dev streams of them playing the game and have a decent trickle (though still a trickle) of information that they talk about while streaming.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Yeah, I really hope the next beta isn't under NDA, so I can stream the shit out of it.

• Options
    I will deduce by the fact that you want to stream it that you enjoy it and just can't tell me so. This assumption might be wrong but it's what I am going to take away from it anyway.

I know you can neither confirm nor deny this.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I will deduce by the fact that you want to stream it that you enjoy it and just can't tell me so. This assumption might be wrong but it's what I am going to take away from it anyway.

I know you can neither confirm nor deny this.

That he's allowed us to infer this is probably in violation of the NDA. Might as well just spill everything from here, Echo. You're already a rule breaker :)

• Options
    Well, here's a good archived livestream segment to watch.

http://sv.twitch.tv/trionworlds/c/1978020

• Options
    Thanks. I'll watch it tonight when I get home.

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    So is the next beta weekend for this open or do I need to go look for one of these candy keys?

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/424/Defiance-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html has 18k keys for the next beta weekend.....

• Options
    tricon wrote: »

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/424/Defiance-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html has 18k keys for the next beta weekend.....

Thanks, done. Looking forward to it; I'm going to be alternating between this and Neverwinter methinks.

488W936.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have a sudden interest in this game when I saw it on available on Steam. I never really played Rift but a lot of what this is about seems intriguing.

I'm gonna give it a shot I hope on the Beta weekend and see if I'll pre-order it after that. Between these Ark Hunter training, and pre-order/digital deluxe/DLC it seems you can start the game with a lot. Which is sort of cool.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    After being in a beta weekend, I gotta say it has potential. And this is coming from someone who played it thinking it was going to turn out to be unmitigated shit.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.