As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White fuzz on PC screen

So recently I have started getting these white fuzzy blotches all over my screen when I do certain stuff. It first happened when I tried playing SpecOps The Line and since it wasn't happening in any other games, I wrote it off as just the game and my system not agreeing for whatever reason. Then a little of it started happening in Far Cry 3, occasionally appearing for a moment then going away. Then I booted up some other games and it happened in one here and there. Arkham City for example.

My thoughts were that maybe my video card was fucked. So I brought it to the place I purchased it. They tested it and said it was perfectly fine. So I figured I'd wait and see, and that maybe I was just having bad luck with certain games.

Other games were fine, like Borderlands 2, Dishonored, XCCOM, and recently Tomb Raider.

Except now I'm seeing a little of it in Tomb Raider as well. Only when I'm examining relic collectables, otherwise nothing.

But everything has just gotten a lot worse. I'm getting it in pretty much every non game I have now. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Steam, and other programs are getting this fuzz. It eventually goes away until I open something else or browse to another Internet page, then it starts up again.

I'm getting worried. If my video card is okay then what's happening?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Well you have 2 possible places that cause this:

1. your monitor itself is dying, so if you have something else you can plug the pc into to test, you can see if it is. but you need a spare monitor or a tv with hdmi,dvi, or vga input.
    2. your video card is dying, and the shop you brought it to test is shit at doing their job.

It's most likely #2.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Yeah it's definitely not the screen, or a cable. I'm using my HDTV and no problems with anything else. I also dragged out my actual monitor just now to test it, and same problem on there.

Tried clearing and re-installing drivers as well and that didn't make a difference.

I'm wondering if I should even bother with the shop again or if I should try and replace this card through Nvidia directly. I got it when Borderlands 2 came out so it's still a new card.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    What brand of card? a few of the manufacturers have pretty good warranties.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It's a Gigabyte card. Unfortunately they are in the US and Im in Canada so I'll likely be hit with a crappy shipping fee to send it in. Sigh.

The shop won't replace it if they can't find anything wrong with it, and they didn't. They charged me money to check, too.

• Options
    TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    Well, start with complaining at the shop and see if they can do another fault test for free? If you do send it back to gigabyte, ask them to send you an invoice detailing the issue with the card and then go to the shop that made the improper test to give you your money back. You should definitely not pay for something they did not do.

• Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    I've had many of the nVidia manufacturers do really awesome things when a card starts to fail. Back when I had my 8600GTs, one of them wouldn't display the proper resolutions, and I sent it back to XFX. They responded with an 8800GT, instead of my 8600GT, and thanked me for my business. Was pretty awesome. I'd definitely get in touch with Gigabyte and see what they say. Most GPU companies are pretty awesome, and will do quite a bit to help you out.

StrifeRaZoR.png