As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[God of War: Ascension] Interactive Deicide Simulator

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology
God-Of-War-Ascension.jpg

Do you like blood and gore to the max?

Do you like naked ladies and QTE sex mini-games?

Do you like brutalizing minotaurs, cyclopses, and Greek gods?

It's time for another round of God of War, y'all.

Release Date: 3.12.13
Platform: PS3
ESRB Rating: M for Mature

Now with Multiplayer!

Trailers!

A brief synopsis of God of War
By LucasCraft the Historian of True Greek Events
Everything that happens in God of War is 100% true to history. There is no embellishment. There is no exaggeration. There is no myth. There is only FACT.

Kratos is a man
He is a man who likes him some titties
He is a Greek man
A leader of Spartan armies
A conqueror of nations

Once merely a man
He is now the spirit of vengeance
Once a mortal with a soul
He has forsaken everything
In his lust for retribution

He slew the mighty Ares
And claimed his throne on Mt. Olympus
He awakened the titans
And boned it up real good on Aphrodite
Because bangin' mortal chicks just ain't good enough

He has been to Hades (the underworld)
At least once
Probably more like 5 times
Not counting return trips
And slew Hades (the god)
Because he's just a fat little bitch

He beat Hercules in a fist fight
He bested Hermes in a foot race
He ripped the head off of Helios and used it as a flashlight
He stabbed Athena through the heart

And that was just a typical Wednesday

Lucascraft on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Reserved for a synopsis of how the multiplayer works. (Under construction).

Lucascraft on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The demo and reviews have kinda unsold me on the game, at full price anyways

I may pick it up for $20 down the line

Sessler's review of it (and the description of the Trophy therein) really kinda sour my taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIpPUE8epA

Ben Kuchera also mentioned that trophy in his review at the Penny Arcade Report.
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/god-of-war-ascension-is-an-enjoyable-adolescent-power-fantasy-but-that-form

While it's disappointing that Santa Monica stooped to that level, I'm not going to let one poor taste joke ruin my experience of slaughtering a plethora of fantastical creatures.

Honestly, my biggest problem with the series from this point is, well, God of War III had such a tone of finality to it

Not to the story of Kratos - I could give a shit about Kratos

But in the first thirty minutes of that game, you gouge out Poseidon's eyes. Motherfucking Poseidon

Then you go on to deal with Hermes, Apollo, Hercules, Hephaestus, Hades, Zeus, all the big names

And the villains in this game are...the Furies? Really?

If God of War III was a greatest hits album of Greek mythology, this is a B-side compilation

Well... This is a prequel. Of course you're not going to be out murdering any major pantheons.

I don't have a problem with them de-escalating things a bit. Honestly, the level of deicide that occurred in GoW3 bordered on ridiculous.

The two other prequels are some of the best in series.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    How exactly was GoW3 a greatest hits of Greek mythology? There were no actual myths told, you just slaughtered your way through the Greek pantheon and it was awesome. Ascension is going for something different and seeing as the Furies are the personification of vengeance, they suit Kratos pretty well. Same thing as the Origins Collection, though those games technically came out before 3. And besides, do we even know if the furies are the main enemy of the game?

As for the trophy name, I'm pretty baffled that anyone is actually trying to raise a fuss over what was clearly meant to be a dumb little joke when there's sex mini-games and brutal (albeit to the point of being comical) content in the actual games.

Edit: Oh and nice work on the OP Lucascraft. Might want to mention that they've taken a similar approach to multiplayer that Naughty Dog did, with co-op and competitive featured as separate modes. I'm pretty interested to see what co-op's like.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Ghost of Sparta actually came out after 3, and even playing that one, it just felt kinda unnecessary after 3

It was still a really good game, and it's definitely worth owning the Origins collection, but it just felt like after the absurdity of wiping out pretty much every known quantity in 3, everything else, both prequel and sequel, would just feel like filler

I do like that they've gotten rid of sub-weapons in this game, so that's a point for. The blades are all I ever used anyways, I funneled all my points into them immediately and all other weapons were an afterthought

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I get what Vow's saying and kind of agree. Pretty much after 3, I didn't see much of a point in revisiting the God of War universe past or present. There's absolutely no way you can top

God of War 3 ending spoiler:
    Killing Zeus and then punching his soul to death.

Sure, there's other stories that can be told, but why?

I would have much preferred a clean sweep game. New Pantheon, New Protagonist, New series. Keeping the "God of War" title would've been a bit superfluous, but with Sony Santa Monica and how it would eventually turn out, it would've been "a spiritual successor" and that would've worked fine.

That said, I pre-ordered Ascension and will be playing it...I'm just not going in expecting my mind to be blown. Except possibly by the Multi-player. I heard "Power Stone" and suddenly became interested.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    Yeah I'd forgotten about Ghost of Sparta's release date, as the gameplay was a step backwards from 3 (obviously because they started development on it before 3 came out).

God of War 3 definitely blew its load in running through a large part of the pantheon but I completely disagree with the idea that their deaths make any other exploration of Greek mythology pointless, as I think they're some of the least interesting parts of it in the first place. What interests me, is the setting itself and Sony Santa Monica's interpretation of it (which isn't even close to mine but is still very cool). And while I doubt they'll continue to explore it after Ascension, as this seems to be a side story before they make the real GoW4 on PS4, I'd be disappointed if Kratos suddenly jumped over to a different mythology and all he did was repeat GoW3 but with Egyptian or Norse gods.

Oh god how could you be disappointed in that

Kratos

Vs.

Thor

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well... This is a prequel. Of course you're not going to be out murdering any major pantheons.

To be honest, this is sort of what makes the game entirely boring to me despite the fact I am a huge fan of the first three. I really want them to move on and go do something else, show me where the story heads next. Other than the extremely tasteless trophy, they have mined the well of Greek Pantheon murdering for five games now (two PSP games as well). Going back to a prequel feels like a cheap cop out and a way of avoiding the implications of the ending of the third game. I don't think we should be going around murdering other pantheons for the hell of it really, but I would like to see the story go somewhere else and get a reason to be excited about it again.

I am going to be pretty disappointed if all anyone does with these big trilogies is just retread stories they have already told (and that we know the ending of) via. endless prequels to avoid the implications of the end of the main trilogy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Oh god how could you be disappointed in that

Kratos

Vs.

Thor

For a variety of reasons:
    1) GoW3 would've been an incredibly hollow experience without the 3 game build up to it (1, 2 and CoO).
    2) Continuing at the same pace of GoW3 is unsustainable, as there's only so many mythologies that they can run through and only so many things they can do at that pace.
    3) The characters are nothing without the setting, especially if there's people with any semblance of imagination designing those settings. To use Lord of the Rings as an example, while seeing Gandalf and Aragorn was cool, it was seeing the settings that I had imagined in my head like Rivendell, the Mines of Moria and Minas Tirith that blew me away.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm finding it really hard to care about this game as well. I mean, I'm sure Santa Monica is going to make another epic game with amazing set pieces of the highest quality, but the dude they want me to run through them with is a petulant self centered asshole who got exactly what he had coming to him in the opening of the second game, and then spent the rest of the second and the entirety of the third seeking revenge for getting exactly what he deserved.

I've seen their tv commercial for this one and it doesn't help, it doesn't matter how much humanity, depth, or meaning you try to give Kratos in a prequel, everyone who's played the others knows what he ends up as and how it all ends, so what's the point?

I saw the first 30 minutes video that was put out awhile ago and like usual it was incredible. I want to like the game, I just don't think I can stomach the character.

If I had to order the games based on my own opinion of them, this is how I would do it:

GoW 2
    Ghost of Sparta
    Chains of Olympus
    GoW 3
    GoW 1

I don't rate 3 very highly, but not because of story or graphics. I personally didn't have a problem with either of those. My problem with 3 lies in the awful level design of the moving box section about 2/3 of the way through the game. That is the most uninspired and bland area ever. It looks like they tacked it on after the rest of the game was made. They needed some filler, so they put in a big empty cave with moving square boxes. That area lacks all of the amazing visuals of the rest of the game, and it honestly ruined the pace and feel of the overall experience for me.

For me it would be:

GoW 1
    GoW 2
    GoW 3

Basically because the first game is the only one where I can actually sympathize with Kratos. After that, he just gets worse with each installment. That and I just love the Temple of Pandora.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I've only played the main entries in the series. I really need to get around to picking up the origins collection. I've always assumed the prequel/side games were like The Force Unleashed. Trying to squeeze a story into a small bit of unexplored lore. I hear they're pretty good, though, and this game looks pretty good. I'll probably wait until this one comes down in price, and pick up the collection and this and marathon em.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Ghost of Sparta is fantastic. It probably has the strongest story in the whole series. Also, I found the Spear/Shield to be a good addition to the game. Most of the secondary weapons in the other games aren't that great, and I rarely used them, but in GoS I actually enjoyed using the Spear and Shield. Plus he has a rapid stabby move that reminds me of Pantheon from LoL.

And the Origin Collection is definitely worth owning. Playing the PSP games on the big screen makes them every bit as good as the core series.

And to heap a bit more praise on GoS, that game has some fantastic environments. Some of the best in the series. Sure, they're a bit lower resolution because it was a PSP game, but for being PSP tech, the game looks remarkable.

edited March 2013
    Santa Monica is going to day one patch the "Bros before Hos" trophy to rename it "Bros before Foes"

Which is not much better at all because its just a wordplay on the original phrase that everyone will immediately think of.

Viskod on
    At least they did do something.

I'm disappointed that they did anything at all. I'd let the whiny white knights whine themselves to sleep, while everyone else continues to not give a shit about a lame little pop culture reference trophy name.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    At least they did do something.

Yeah. It's actually pretty awesome of them to do this.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I'm disappointed that they did anything at all. I'd let the whiny white knights whine themselves to sleep, while everyone else continues to not give a shit about a lame little pop culture reference trophy name.

Keep that negative community stereotype rollin' Unco.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I fucking hate the term "White Knight" with such a passion.

Viskod wrote: »

Keep that negative community stereotype rollin' Unco.

What negative community stereotype exactly?

I'm fine with calling out misogyny when I can see it (like the people that targeted Anita Sarkeesian, Jennifer Hepler or Jade Raymond at one time or another) but "bros before hos" has been a dumb pop culture reference for years now, one that has been used in a number of other games (including WoW and Ratchet & Clank) and picking it as a dumb trophy name doesn't insult me a bit,especially when the person that came up with it was female. And yet despite all the comically fucked up shit that takes place in the actual game, it's the silly little trophy name that people get upset over. It's idiotic.

Do we know how long the campaign is in this?

I'm gonna have to split my time between Heart of the Swarm and GoWA.

Same length as GoW3 apparently, so about 10 hours or so I guess.

Getting right after you curb stomp a female villains face into mush just feels wrong.

• NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Trophies PLINKING! on screen after a dramatic moment is probably my most hated "addition" of this generation. If I could find a way to turn off that notification I'd easily pay real money for it.

And I second Ghost of Sparta as a great, great God of War game. Chains of Olympus is a functional, if bland, God of War game. Ghosts of Sparta is very clearly the developer's attempt to mix up the formula. The new weapons and skills are great, and the platforming sequences freaking MOVE.

Man, I am severely tempted to replay the entire series before diving into Ascension.

edited March 2013
    Well Ascension is chronologically the first game and out tomorrow so I'd start with it and go from there.

Viskod on
    Viskod wrote: »
    Getting right after you curb stomp a female villains face into mush just feels wrong.

Well normally I'd feel wrong if anyone's face was curb stomped into mush but seeing as it's God of War and the entire experience isn't much more than a super over-the-top testosterone fueled stomp through a mythology I love with pretty good gameplay and level design, I shrug off pretty much everything. If it were taking itself really seriously then maybe I'd have a problem with things.

white knights

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

white knights

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

Your point? If it's what I think it is, then you're a goose.

Someone did some GoW Ascension cutscenes only videos for the whole game, including boss QTEs and even mid-fight boss phase change scenes and added up the total comes to 1 hour 13 minutes, which is literally half of the cutscene total for GoW 3. I'm not trying to say that's good or bad, just putting it out there for those on the fence about the game like I am.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Trophies PLINKING! on screen after a dramatic moment is probably my most hated "addition" of this generation. If I could find a way to turn off that notification I'd easily pay real money for.

Some games have used it to great effect, like Portal 2 and ( if I'm remembering correctly) Spec Ops The Line.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed all the GoW games but I can't shake the feeling that this game just feels like a cash grab (even though obvious work has gone into it). I just wished they would have held off and like others have said, spun off the series or explored a new direction.

That said, I'm hoping that the MP gets released individually on PSN cause that's what I'm most curious about.

It was likened to Power Stone which is enough to get me to try it and I usually avoid MP like the plague.

• IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    Gamefly is sending this to me now. I've beaten all the others, but the early buzz about high difficulty has me intimidated! I'm an old fogey like Sessler.

I've heard that the game is actually remarkably easy, except for one trial section right near the end of the game. Apparently everything else is a breeze and then you get to the trial and it's like running into a brick wall.

• IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I guess we'll see. Sessler said he tried to clear it for six hours and finally had to give up.

It's not something you see in other media - so long as your eyes work you can always read and watch movies, so long as your ears work you can enjoy music, etc.

But video games (at least those requiring reflexes) are different. We will all eventually reach a point where we can't play them, even if we wish to. It was was an interesting confession to make. Here.

Indoorsman on