As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Supertrip 2007

• ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    :( Dollar took over a cent dive today

ThePimpImp on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As discussed, I've updated the Vancouver branch map to identify the Safeway @ 71st & Granville. It will serve to get people and cars out of the nightmare Downtown Core, and transit can get foot traffic there easily from downtown.

We've also got the Merritt waypoint chosen, the Tourist Infobooth just east of the Highway 5 & Coquihalla junction. It's close to the highway, and is easy to access. This leaves us with selecting a start point in Edmonton, and a point in Calgary. I don't know if the Island ferry crews have chosen any particular places to meet up, but I would like to add those on the list as well.

Most of the group information I needed for the Master Directory is good, but a number of groups still haven't responded. I'll compile what I've got into as much detail as I can, and e-mail that out likely on Sunday night. It'll be linked here as well.

b0wser on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    :( Dollar took over a cent dive today

I know D: I'm still waiting for that 96.4 to come back so I can buy a couple more hundred before heading across, fuck.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know I'm coming very late into the game here, so I'll understand if there's nothing people can do. I'm flying in to the Bellingham airport on the morning of the 23rd, and should be able to hook up with anyone with available seating at the Bellingham rendezvous point. Anyone interested e-mail me at baconsandwich1 (at gmail dot com).

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is anyone taking the Victoria Clipper across on Friday morning?

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sonovabitch! Stupid dollar.
    Oh well, I'll be mastercarding most of the trip, so I'm boned on the exchange rate regardless D:

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • wildcard57wildcard57 Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Well I have finaly managed to get things organized. Im not sure how to really sign up for this but I have a carfull that would like to join up at the Castle Fun Park meeting point in Abbotsford

wildcard57 on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Last call, I've still got two spots free in my Blazer.

edit: emailing baconsandwich

GeeCee on
  • CaptainSpadgeCaptainSpadge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I've gotten fucked over by a whole bunch of people who had committed 100% to attending, and the end result is that I have a free hotel room that was designated for four people. If anyone's interested, email me at captainspadge@gmail.com

I have the room from the 23rd to the 26th.

CaptainSpadge on
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    edited August 2007
    The dollar is skyrocketing back up, woo.

The address of the Safeway listed there is 8555 Granville Street.

What time should I have my group there? I'm a little confused.

Also, I can't figure out where Park and Ride @ Costco & George Hopper, Mt. Vernon is. Anyone have an address?

GeeCee on
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure on an address, but I'll be working on CST stuff almost all day today to get it done.

I haven't been able to find a starting point in Edmonton or a point in Calgary, but none of those groups have responded to email either. From Kamloops onward, all points have been selected-- I'll hammer out all the directions, so addresses will be identified in there. I'm not exactly sure if the Park and Ride has got an address, but it'll be easily identified once we're down there and the directions are done.

b0wser on
  • StealthStealth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait wait wait...

So this will arrive on *thursday* at 4pm?

Stealth on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yah, arrive on the 23rd

tr0tsky on
  • StealthStealth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Awww man!

I was all over this until I learned that :(

I want to arrive early to get my guaranteed badge for the concerts... so I booked a hotel for Wednesday night

Stealth on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    How early do you think you have to be for that? They hand out the concert wristbands on entry on Friday.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stealth wrote: »
    Awww man!

I was all over this until I learned that :(

I want to arrive early to get my guaranteed badge for the concerts... so I booked a hotel for Wednesday night

Wristbands for the concerts will not be handed out until PAX starts, and PAX does not start on Wednesday or Thursday. We don't hand out concert wristbands based on hotel reservations.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
    edited August 2007
    Is it possible for you to ditch on the Wednesday night? Come down with us! :D Driving with a huge convoy > spending a night in the hotel, imo.

On a somewhat related note, I still have 2-3 seats in my van leaving from Vancouver on Thursday morning coming back early Monday morning. email shaun dot woodruff at gmail dot com or my msn in my profile.

tr0tsky on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GeeCee wrote: »
    The dollar is skyrocketing back up, woo.

The address of the Safeway listed there is 8555 Granville Street.

What time should I have my group there? I'm a little confused.

Also, I can't figure out where Park and Ride @ Costco & George Hopper, Mt. Vernon is. Anyone have an address?

Map is here. George Hopper Rd is a main road through Burlington and crosses I-5.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, this is super-extra last minute, but I would love to get in on this. I live in Victoria, but will probably be in Vancouver anyway on the day.
    I am 100%, if I can get a ride.

GrahamS on
    edited August 2007
    GrahamS: I've PM'ed you a suggestion.

I've got the Master CST Directory and primary directions all ready. I want to review them, and have it sent out tomorrow to every email address I've got.

b0wser on
  • aspectaspect Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey guys,

We have made a group decision to head down on Friday due to cost and work constraints, so I guess we will just have to see you at the event :)

If anybody else is heading over on the 11:20am friday sailing from sidney to anacortes, look for a few people with DS's!

aspect on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    booo we're going thursday

ThePimpImp on
  • ZyzzyvasZyzzyvas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    aspect wrote: »
    Hey guys,

We have made a group decision to head down on Friday due to cost and work constraints, so I guess we will just have to see you at the event :)

If anybody else is heading over on the 11:20am friday sailing from sidney to anacortes, look for a few people with DS's!

Sorry to hear that, and good luck not missing too much of PAX on Friday. You'll have half an hour once you get off the ferry to get to PAX before it starts. D:

Zyzzyvas on
  • bzarhandsbzarhands Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A friend and I had planned to bus, but now that I understand the power of this fully-operational Supertrip, I thought I might inquire about the chances of us finding two last-minute seats (preferably in the same vehicle).

We can rendez-vous anywhere from Coquitlam to Richmond (the closer to Burnaby the better, but we are rad not fussy).

bzarhands on
    I made a post on the Internet!
    edited August 2007
    sent you a PM, bzar.

tr0tsky on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Reminder for my fellow canucks: make sure you have legitimate ID or a passport for crossing the border. I'm fairly certain that you don't need a passport to make a land-crossing, but it does make the officials happier.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited August 2007
    Yah, land border crossing you only need a birth certificate and picture ID OR a passport.

Passport is obviously easier, if you have one.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2007
    I don't want to be posting the Master List online with all of our e-mail and cell number information in it, so if anyone wants it I can send you the link.

b0wser on
    edited August 2007
    tr0tsky has put together this awesome little GoogleMaps route for the Western Branch, showing the more accurate details of that section. It's got some good information, like the distances between the points and whatnot. You can check that out at http://tinyurl.com/ytkdda

I'm hoping that traffic won't be a bitch, that's pretty much the only thing that could entirely ruin our schedule.

b0wser on
    edited August 2007
    Just a couple notes about that map...I couldn't find an address for the Chevron station, so the "hwy 99" note on there is around where you would exit the highway for Ladner Trunk Road.

176 St should be around the Pac Highway border crossing.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2007
    You can see that Chevron sign for a long while, so an exact address probably isn't needed anyway.

On a side note, there's an awesome street running along the highway just north of there, it's crazily dippy. The terrain of Burns Bog must be doing it, but the road is seriously like one big wave over and over again.

b0wser on
    edited August 2007
    In the words of GeeCee,
    PAX SUPERTRIP

FUCK YEAH

b0wser on
    edited August 2007
    FUCK YEAH!

GeeCee on
    edited August 2007
    Oh, does anybody know how much beer we can take over the border?

GeeCee on
    edited August 2007
    I saw some random page that said 1L of alcohol/beer/wine...but that sounds retarded...I'd say you could take 12 at least and have no problems, if you say they're for personal use.

tr0tsky on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm in Vancouver and considering going on this thing... anyone have a free spot from the area?

Deusfaux on
  • DMiguelDMiguel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh, does anybody know how much beer we can take over the border?

Alright. After scouring the government websites I finally found the numbers for the US side of the Washington State border crossings. I called the Pacific Highway Crossing direct number (360) 332-8661 and amazingly compared to my other calls leading up to this one, was answered after 3 rings by a HUMAN. He said as long as you are of age and declare the amount (I asked about a 24 pack of beer for personal use, which is more than I plan to bring) it should be fine. It was long-distance but I suggest anyone trying to transport alcohol look up your respective crossing and give them a quick call to double check. These number are 24 hours a day 7 days a week numbers. Not like those pesky ones that stop at 4pm.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/wa/3004.xml

Moe_Fwacky also metioned this extensively in the Alcohol Exchange thread but it doesn't discuss border crossing policies and is more oriented to US citizens:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15049&highlight=alcohol+exchange+network&page=5
    http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslwac/WAC%20314%20%20TITLE/WAC%20314%20-%2068%20%20CHAPTER/WAC%20314%20-%2068%20%20Chapter.htm
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=314-68-040

I know the Canadian Border Policy coming back from the US says:

Alcoholic beverages
    You are allowed to import only ONE of the following
    amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:
    ■ 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
    ■ 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;
    ■ a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or
    ■ 24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles
    (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/faqs-e.html

I have no idea if these quantities are roughly equivalent for the US or not.

At least I know some beer should be ok. I think you only have to worry about duties and taxes if you buy liqour in another US state and bring it into Washington over their exemption limit or if you go over your Canadian exemption limit going back to Canada from Washington. The guy I talked to emphasized that you MUST declare what you are taking over the border, so that's whay I suggest giving them a call first.
    *Phew* that took a while.

DMiguel on
  • DMiguelDMiguel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    and btw FUCK YEAH!

DMiguel on
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Folks taking the 11:20 Anacortes ferry tommorow:

Where should we meet up?

AND PAX FUCK YEAH!!

smes on