As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you want to be when you grow up? [Job Thread]

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Anyone consider themselves a Microstrategy EXPERT and want to work at Netflix?

It's not the most exciting position, but our long-standing teammate is leaving.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I am

What's microstrategy

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Do you know how to play with little plastic army men?

That's microstrategy

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I am

What's microstrategy

It's war gaming with those pewter miniatures

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Do you know how to play with little plastic army men?

That's microstrategy

Always kamikaze the grenade dude. WAY worth it.

• Options
    Something something joke about small junk.

If we don't hire someone I'll probably just absorb the responsibilities, but ehhh.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Now we know how rich of a childhood Joe had

Pewter

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Can't help you there, our BI platform is SAP BusinessObjects.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

Can't help you there, our BI platform is SAP BusinessObjects.

Yeah, we use a bunch of different ones here, but unfortunately this person would work almost exclusively with Micro.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    What's your opinion of it, if you use it at all? We're pretty happy with what BusObj provides, but goddamn is it expensive.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

My sister probably is. You should talk to her.

• Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of it. I think it's pretty restrictive and also not great for making an easy to use report/dashboard if necessary. Haven't used BusinessObjects before so I can't really compare.

I came in with a Cognos background and I loved that program, could do some crazy things with it (but the graphing capability was awful).

They're all absolutely overpriced though, no matter your choice of BI solutions.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I hate massages too, unless it's like a qualified massage therapist or masseuse or whatever

every time someone has come up behind me and rubbed my shoulders it makes me want to die

I do so miss my friend in Dallas; licensed massage therapist, only mild and momentary discomfort for what amounts to absolute Nirvana when she's done working over my back and legs, specifically the knee that got me booted from the military.

And my ankle! Dear God, it's like having it realigned by an angel!

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I know all about micros.

Gimme money.

• Options
    And now the initial excitement about my interview is turning into anxiety. I'm spending the rest of the day going over common questions and answers. I also gotta iron a shirt.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    And now the initial excitement about my interview is turning into anxiety. I'm spending the rest of the day going over common questions and answers. I also gotta iron a shirt.

You did animation on GW2. You have nothing to worry about, you should roll in there like a boss.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options

You did animation on GW2. You have nothing to worry about, you should roll in there like a boss.

Haha, thanks. I still have a whole lot left to learn though. Especially about interviews. I've only had a couple.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I complained to my boss about new guy not doing the stuff he's supposed to do at nights. I think I've mentioned it before - he's at least supposed to make some blank plates and fill up our machines preloaders with fresh plates so we don't unexpectedly run out. The past few days I've come in when he works nights beforehand none of that stuff has been done, which is absurd because it takes maybe an hour total to do all those things. And past midnight not much is happening here, so it's not as if he's been super busy.

Thankfully my boss said he'd talk to him about it.

And I have next wednesday and thursday off for surgery! Yay!

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I know all about micros.

Gimme money.

It's not nice to talk about @godmode like that.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    I know all about micros.

Gimme money.

It's not nice to talk about @godmode like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SYdjRVCR0

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I hate massages too, unless it's like a qualified massage therapist or masseuse or whatever

every time someone has come up behind me and rubbed my shoulders it makes me want to die

I do so miss my friend in Dallas; licensed massage therapist, only mild and momentary discomfort for what amounts to absolute Nirvana when she's done working over my back and legs, specifically the knee that got me booted from the military.

And my ankle! Dear God, it's like having it realigned by an angel!

One of my aunt/removed cousins is a massage therapist in Dallas and it wasn't until I was in college I think we found out one of our good family friends that we'd known since I was in late elementary school was one of her clients.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I complained to my boss about new guy not doing the stuff he's supposed to do at nights. I think I've mentioned it before - he's at least supposed to make some blank plates and fill up our machines preloaders with fresh plates so we don't unexpectedly run out. The past few days I've come in when he works nights beforehand none of that stuff has been done, which is absurd because it takes maybe an hour total to do all those things. And past midnight not much is happening here, so it's not as if he's been super busy.

Thankfully my boss said he'd talk to him about it.

And I have next wednesday and thursday off for surgery! Yay!

Surgery is usually a bad thing...

• Options
    What if it's laser eye surgery?

Or bionic penis?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    What if it's laser eye surgery?

Or bionic penis?

Full

Metal

Jackhammer.

• Options
    ...bionic penis?

Didn't he already get that one?

• Options
    I don't know, I'm behind on what's in Mori's pants.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Well, I was slightly concerned about getting time off. And it's something I've been putting off for a while.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaaa aaa first day of teaching today aaaaaa

Rule #1 when dealing with children:

Treat them like small adults; you get mad respect when you don't talk down to them.

Rule #2 when dealing with children:

If they are teenagers, do not shit on their shitty opinions; just say, "well, that's one way of looking at it" and walk the fuck away.

Rule #3 when dealing with children:

Do not touch the children; they are chock-full of germs, seriously, you don't know where they've been.

Luckily I am dealing with 2nd year uni students, not kids.

It went ok I guess, first class my brain kept freezing up and I'd forget how to do stuff that I totally knew how to do, but the second one I guess I was more mentally prepared and it was fine.

broken image link
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaaa aaa first day of teaching today aaaaaa

Rule #1 when dealing with children:

Treat them like small adults; you get mad respect when you don't talk down to them.

Rule #2 when dealing with children:

If they are teenagers, do not shit on their shitty opinions; just say, "well, that's one way of looking at it" and walk the fuck away.

Rule #3 when dealing with children:

Do not touch the children; they are chock-full of germs, seriously, you don't know where they've been.

Luckily I am dealing with 2nd year uni students, not kids.

It went ok I guess, first class my brain kept freezing up and I'd forget how to do stuff that I totally knew how to do, but the second one I guess I was more mentally prepared and it was fine.

That still all applies for university students.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    specially the last one

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If I was a corpse I'd be waiting for the guy to fuck up so I could be all "thanks EMBALMER"

wow

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So: the latest on my work (non-)promotion.

Best intentions have led to a poisoned chalice.

The Duties Allowance bringing me up to the next paygrade up has been granted (the backdating is unclear - I'll have to see on the next paycheck, I guess, but it sounds like notsomuch), so yay 10k payrise.

On the other hand, it comes with the comment that I will (for all intents and purposes) not be getting an official promotion before the next performance appraisal. Meaning to keep 'eligibility' for a promotion, they want me to continue to bust my balls for what will essentially be a hospital pass non-bonus come review time, as my Duties Allowance will officially only ever cover the step to the bottom of the next step up (in essence, any increase in salary will be countered by a corresponding decrease in my duties allowance).

I plan to get around this by requesting increases to my base pay at performance time get matched by an equivalent percentage point bonus to the HDA. But that's a fuck of a longshot.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    You know, times like this I wonder what the climate is like in DC.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    If I was a corpse I'd be waiting for the guy to fuck up so I could be all "thanks EMBALMER"

wow

This is late but, City of Heroes villain: A half-Irish/half-Kenyan terrorist by the name of Barack O'Bomber.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2013
    Fishman wrote: »
    You know, times like this I wonder what the climate is like in DC.

Muggy.

tynic on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular

Still basking

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i'm really burnt out because i put like 30 hours in over the past few days. people are starting to look concerned

• Options
    i'm really burnt out because i put like 30 hours in over the past few days. people are starting to look concerned

fuckin

stoppit

what did I say

WHAT DID I SAY

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Did you absolutely need to put in 30 hours? Was it required of you?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    If 30 hours is burning you out dont do it.

This discussion has been closed.