As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Farewell good friend - Eastward Bound to Boston - Community Podcast on PAX East

FrugusFrugus PhotographerMontrealRegistered User regular
edited August 2014 in PAX East
It is with great regret that I must announce the passing of a good friend and our fellow podcaster Greg Demetrick, who has quietly passed away in his sleep on June 12th.

As you may know, Greg was diagnosed with liver cancer last year. He kept a very positive outlook on his situation, was always hopeful, never seemed to let go of the fight and was even willing to go on the podcast whenever possible.

I only met Greg a handful of times, but through the countless hours of recorded chat sessions and dozens of long e-mails, we fashioned a friendship that I will never forget. Greg was an incredibly passionate individual, and you would never get tired of listening or reading about anything he had to say. He would always tell you what you needed to hear, not what you wanted to hear. He won everyone's respect through his opinions and brought decency to the world of pod casting.

We lost a very good friend, and to make things worse, we had everything set for a visit in the US only two days before he was gone.

The last time I saw Greg was when we drove back from PAX East 2014, where I handed him off a substantial amount of swag which we accumulated for him while he was watching the event from afar. Greg had everything booked and ready for the event but decided not to go at the last minute since his condition did not seem to permit him anymore. A huge thanks goes out to all who had contributed to help in giving him a little something to help pass the time, such as some Enforcers who knew him but only learned of his condition just then (it was not easy to break the news). He was really happy and thankful for the generosity of everyone involved.

There will be no more podcasts. Though his passing is one of the reasons why we would not continue, the decision had come between Beth and myself a few weeks prior, and though we were looking for the right time to make an announcement, I think I would rather close off this chapter as it is. Consequently, we will need to move our hosting soon. If you would be willing to take over the archives please let me know so we can discuss.

Fellow PAXians, we have lost a brother. Please raise your glass and say thanks for all of Gregs' contributions, as he did all that he could to make the event better for everyone.

To everyone who helped make this show happen, thank you. It has been a pleasure. We hope to see you again soon.

Below are the archives of the show:

Every month, Beth, Greg and Myself will record our Podcast called Eastward Bound to Boston, a show discussing PAX East and all things that we feel are closely related (you guys like geeky stuff right?). More regular installments will be made available as we get closer to the event.

There is already tons of information out there. The PA forums alone are chock full of topics which renew themselves every year. There are wikis, personal blogs, apps, you name it. PAX is a well documented thing and we will not try to re-write everything. We will however poke at these things with a stick, talk about personal experiences and so on. Expect guests, expect laughs, and expect some time well spent.

Bio on our fine hosts!
BETH

Finding her way onto the internet from Michigan, Beth is a life long fan of video games. Other hobbies include: watching anime, cursing at her favorite sports teams, and simple cosplaying. An anime convention veteran, she was determined to travel to Boston immediately after PAX East was first announced. However, she encounter the problem of breaking her arm. Placed on medical leave, she missed those important money making weeks before the con. Swearing to never kick plastic bags full of cans again, she managed to attend PAX East the last two years.

GREG

This man knows his way around a Catan board, which is unfortunate for us because we really want to beat him once we sit down for a game at PAX. Fortunately we can profit from his other fields of expertise, such as podcasting In fact, he was even a speaker at Podcamp Boston 3 and has been working in the web industry for quite a while. He also lived in Boston, so he knows the terrain.

RSS LINK [ http://eastwardbound2boston.libsyn.com/rss ]

- April 16th 2014: Episode #21 - The road back home

Season 2

- April 8th 2014: Episode #20 - Quick, before we go!
- March 28th 2014: Episode #19 - On schedules and Kickstarters
- February 15th 2014: Episode #18 - So many geeky things [NSWF for language]
- December 22nd 2013: Episode #17 - Brian Cranston is Isamu [NSWF for language]
- November 10th: Episode #16 - Done with Regs! [NSWF for language]
- September 22nd: Episode #15 - Stalking season commences [NSWF for language]
- August 22nd: Episode #14 - Back from EVO [NSWF for language]
- July 16th: Episode #13 - July is here! [NSWF for language]
- June 23rd: Episode #12 - Hype Train [NSWF for language]
- May 12th 2013: Episode #11 - Like Hotcakes [NSWF for language]

Season 1

- March 28th 2013: Episode #10 - Wrap up edition
- March 19th 2013: Episode #9 - 2 days to go!
- March 10th 2013: Episode #8 - The Enforcer Show
- February 19th 2013: Episode #7 - SURVIVE!
- February 3rd 2013: Episode #6 - It's GO TIME!
- January 6th 2013: Episode #5 - Three months to go!
- December 10th 2012: Episode #4 - Taking a little break!
- November 11th 2012: Episode #3 - In the wake of Hurricane Sandy
- October 17th 2012: Episode #2 - Travel guide to PAX East, part B
- October 4th 2012: Episode #2 - Travel guide to PAX East, part A
September 5th 2012: Episode #1 - It's okay to talk about PAX East again!

Disclaimers
- Eastward Bound to Boston is not an official product nor is it affiliated in any way to Penny-Arcade inc. This is a fan show talking about our favorite convention.
- Official dates, schedules and statements may be talked about, but if you want the exact business, go to the official web site.
- We may talk a lot about being prepared for PAX, but the only thing you need to insure fun is a positive attitude. Prepardness is just icing on the cake, and the cake is delicious by itself.

Frugus Eggbeater
ufCl1ui.png
zerzhul on

• MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    And so it begins. Officially. Even though I was excited for East 2013 more or less as soon as we hit the road to head home from East this year.
    PAX PAX PAX PAX PAX

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Pax East 2013 is going to be my first Pax (and first convention overall)! I wanted to go to Prime but I knew I wasn't going to save enough $$$ in time so here I go. Only 6 1/2 months to go by my count!

This space for rent
  • SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    Huzzah, let the PAX East takeover commence! And.... GO!

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Yay! I missed East last year, but already have the dates scheduled off for work....hope the dates don't change with PAX AU coming into the mix :D Can't wait for this podcast, sounds great!

signature.png
  • TheGannondorkTheGannondork Registered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Sweet! I can't wait till East, last year was a ton of fun! I'll keep an eye out for this.

TheGannondork on
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Moocifer wrote: »
    was excited for East 2013 more or less as soon as we hit the road to head home from East this year.

totally with you there. Stooooked!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Sounds awesome. I can't wait for badge/hotel registration to go up. That part is so stressful, but its free sailing from then until PAX!

This should be fun to listen to in the meantime.

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I woke up so happy knowing that it's time to officially get ready for East 2013. Mentally I've been ready since it ended this year.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I can't wait till PAX East. It's the happiest place on Earth (screw Disney World ;))

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    First Episode is now up. Show notes will be available. Soon. At some point in the near future. The near kind.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote: »
    First Episode is now up. Show notes will be available. Soon. At some point in the near future. The near kind.

Hey we'll have to get you guys on our show as PAX East time gets closer!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    really enjoyed the podcast! how frequently do you expect to do them?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Prototype AxlPrototype Axl Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    really enjoyed the podcast! how frequently do you expect to do them?

Current plan is a new podcast a month. Possibly a few extra next year as we inch closer to PAX East.

• ChenzillahChenzillah Resident Geek Scarborough, MaineRegistered User regular
    As a New Englander- SHIPPIN OFF TO BOSTON WAAAA AHHH OHHHHHHHHH

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    great podcast, can't wait for more

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Listened to the podcast and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next one and more importantly for PAX East!

edited October 2012
    OP updated, new show is up, etc.

Beth, Greg and I had so much fun taping the last show that we ended up with many hours of content, many of which I did not have the heart to cut out. In fact, we taped nearly five hours of content and personally speaking I did not even see the time go by.

Since we really wanted people to enjoy the experience as much as we did, we decided to split the show in two. Right now you are listening to part A. Part B will be published in two weeks, in which Kropotkin will join us. He’s the author or the ever popular International travel guide to PaX East, and he’s also the guy behind the PAX Community badge. He gave us a scoop on what the next iteration will look like, hopefully that won’t make it to the forums until our show hits the air J

So without further ado, I hope you guys will enjoy listening to the show as much as we had fun recording it.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Bumping due to Internation Travel Update.

***NEW*** - November 11th 2012
    Episode #3 - In the wake of Hurricane Sandy
    You may be tired of hearing about the Hurricane, but we could not help but feel sorry for our fellow geeks from the East coast who are worried about more pressing matters. We try to get things back to normal by talking about the things we are looking forward too the most. We talked a lot about the PAX Wiki, so you may want to check out the "Attending PAX East" page.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • KiloGexKiloGex GM South ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Hey, if you want some inside knowledge then hit us up! We'll all be at PAX East this year, so shout out if you're lonely or need to know where to get a really good hot dog. (link removed)

zerzhul on
    edited January 2013
    Somewhat new - December 10th 2012
    Episode #4 - Taking a little break!
    We have ben quite busy lately, so much so that we could not make it for our December deadline. Instead of leaving you out to dry, Beth and I had a little chat about all things geeky. We talk about conventions, games, books, sales, charity drives, casting, you name it.

***NEW*** - January 6th 2013
    Episode #5 - Three months to go!
    The Holidays are pretty much over, Greg is back, and we continue our discussion about the things we liked the most this past year and the things we look forward too. Also, if you are curious about that amazing Street Fighter fight we were talking about, you can get it here. Edit: More links from Beth! Top 5 EVO Fights for 2011 and 2012

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    ***NEW*** - February 3rd 2013
    Episode #6 - It's GO TIME!
    Official stuff is trickling in on the forums, that means it’s GO TIME! We discuss about a couple of upcoming community events and panels we are looking forward too. Make sure you keep an eye on the threads and on the official PAX web site! Stick around after the end credits for even more ad lib talk about all things geeky!

Here are some show notes:

THE BEST PAX EAST Google doc EVER (access required)

PAX East 2010 Keynote : Will Weaton
    Full version

PAX East 2011 Keynote : Jane McGonigal:
    Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

PAX East 2012 Keynote : Jordan Mchner
    Part 1 | Part 2

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    Can we meet up and play kitty cockfighting (aka Pokemon)? ;-)

sig.php?id=222
    Absolutely.

In fact, I think a cool personal achivement would be for me to finally trade a pokemon (any) with someone while at PAX. Let's set something up!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    In fact, I think a cool personal achivement would be for me to finally trade a pokemon (any) with someone while at PAX. Let's set something up!

Same here - never done it before EVER (kind of new to Pokemon). Keep in touch!

sig.php?id=222
  • ToddEvfToddEvf Insanity Chamber Studio, SCRegistered User regular
    Thanks to the podcast, I think I'll be watching curling at some point. Just have to find where now.

fss_overall.png
    ToddEvf wrote: »
    Thanks to the podcast, I think I'll be watching curling at some point. Just have to find where now.

Why is everyone talking about curling? Oh right, it's awesome and I want to watch a game now :(

Also...

***NEW*** - February 19th 2013
    Episode #7 - SURVIVE!
    There's like, barely 30 days to go before PAX East 2013 begins, so you may want to take a few notes from the nice tips we are sending your way. Nothing big mind you, but hey, you never know!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    This is a thing.. that I'm going to be on! Not sure when it'll air though. :)

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I wonder why they were talking about stuff around the Hynes when PAX East is at the BCEC.
    They mentioned the Shaws in Back Bay. However, there is a Stop & Shop in South Boston, not too far from the BCEC.

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Another comment on the podcast (I hope they read the forum)
    Here in Massachusetts, a 'beer store' is called a Package Store or a Packy.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    I wonder why they were talking about stuff around the Hynes when PAX East is at the BCEC.
    They mentioned the Shaws in Back Bay. However, there is a Stop & Shop in South Boston, not too far from the BCEC.

Just guessing here, but probably because not all the PAX hotels are near the BCEC.

• FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Hey great podcast, I've been to PAX East for 3 years now, but its nice to have some tips n tricks!

edited March 2013
    Another comment on the podcast (I hope they read the forum)
    Here in Massachusetts, a 'beer store' is called a Package Store or a Packy.
    [...]

Oh yes, we do check out the forums :) I'll be honest, with about 15 + hours worth of recordings, it's hard for me to accurately remember when we talked about Shaws. However like Zerzhul said, there are a couple of reasons why we may have mentioned it. Also keep in mind that Greg used to be a local and he's still fairly in tune with the city, so he will not shy away from giving tips about the places that he likes and knows about.

Thanks for the Beer store tip :) I will try to check it out if time allows as I drive down to Boston since I really enjoy discovering beers that are not available where I live.
    FireWater wrote: »
    Hey great podcast, I've been to PAX East for 3 years now, but its nice to have some tips n tricks!

Why thank you very much FireWater :) Much appreciated. Hope you will like the next one, because it just go out today!

This being said...

***NEW*** - March 10th 2013
    Episode #8 - The Enforcer Show
    The mighty Enforcer @vapok joins us to talk about what it’s like be a part of “the black”. Crazy stories, behind the scenes stuff and all kinds of PAX related gossip awaits! And just in case you did not notice, the schedules are out, guidebook is updated, the maps are revealed, and the forums are buzzing in frenzy. Go check it all out! As Beth suggested, check out The Drunken Moogle (21 over only, because of the drinking…):

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Also, we will have one more show before PAX East. It may be quick, but not so dirty, for a nice road trip!

Also, we will have one more show before PAX East. It may be quick, but not so dirty, for a nice road trip!

I now have something to look forward to for my flight. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the great information shared, as well as the podcast itself. Thank you @Frugus, @PrototypeAxl, Greg, and @vapok for all you have done and will do for the community.

fss_overall.png

I now have something to look forward to for my flight. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the great information shared, as well as the podcast itself. Thank you @Frugus, @PrototypeAxl, Greg, and @vapok for all you have done and will do for the community.

Ahh shucks.. =) *blush*

Vapok
    edited March 2013

You are most welcome :)

The show Prototype Axl mentioned will be recorded early morning on Tuesday and I will do my very best to have it out hours later.
    Vapok wrote: »
    Ahh shucks.. =) *blush*

Oh and Vapok, you were amazing, and I don't care how wrong it sounds :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Vapok wrote: »

Ahh shucks.. =) *blush*

After the last episode, my respect for everything the Enforcers do is just that much higher. Thank you for sharing what you could.

fss_overall.png
    Oh and Vapok, you were amazing, and I don't care how wrong it sounds :)

Thanks @Frugus! I'd be happy to be a guest again, just let me know! Oh and that Ticket to Ride game is definitely going to happen! It must!
    CanadianMilkBags1.jpg
    So a Google Image search for "milks bags" - Probably something you shouldn't do at work

Vapok
  • KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »

Just guessing here, but probably because not all the PAX hotels are near the BCEC.

The discussion about the stuff and specifically supermarkets came out of the discussion of Trader Joes which happens to be next to the Hynes. I remembered the supermarket across the street but couldn't remember if it was Stop & Shop or Shaws. Their locations happened to be coincidental and away from the venue. I am also not aware of any supermarkets closer to the BCEC but would love to know if there are any.

Greg/@kazamagd

Kazamagd on
    PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently