As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do you want to be when you grow up? [Job Thread]

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    i'm really burnt out because i put like 30 hours in over the past few days. people are starting to look concerned

More than about 8 - 10 hours a day on any sort of development work gets counterproductive really fast. You'll start creating more bugs than you fix. Get some rest.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    I know all about micros.

Gimme money.

It's not nice to talk about @godmode like that.

Rude.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    ...bionic penis?

Didn't he already get that one?

"I never asked for these augs."

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    work is going okay and has not been crazy for the last 2 weeks, finally some rest!

unfortunately i haven't been able to sleep at all in the last week so i am more tired than i was when i was working 12+ hr days

:|

poo
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So apparently they are trying to figure out how to get 500 boxes from Richmond to DC

First thing I had to explain is that it makes absolutely no sense for me to get the giant fucking rental truck in DC and then drive it to Richmond and then drive it back

Now I need to convince them that buying me a train ticket down makes way more fucking sense than somebody driving me down in the morning and then trying to drive back to DC in rush hour traffic on 95 north

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ori, you think you're being a rockstar and you likely are, but if you don't start dialing back, reigning it in...whatever...you're going to burn out, start making mistakes and go from the guy that was an awesome new hire to the guy that was trying too hard and really just ends up killing himself over nothing.

Don't be that second guy.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Today I get to play in a tow tank :D

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Ori, you think you're being a rockstar and you likely are, but if you don't start dialing back, reigning it in...whatever...you're going to burn out, start making mistakes and go from the guy that was an awesome new hire to the guy that was trying too hard and really just ends up killing himself over nothing.

Don't be that second guy.

also you do this enough you set it as the expected standard.

not a good thing.

people respect drive and ambition, but you overkill it and they'll just see a workmule.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Also, when you DO burn out, they will have little pity. Especially if you made them look bad/lazy on the way to your fiery crash. That, and no duh you burned out, you worked too damn much.

Usagi wrote: »

Until I googled it, I thought you meant
    M901-TOW-latrun-3.jpg

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Homeless man just wandered into the building and asked me if this was a mission.

No.

No it is not.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Homeless man just wandered into the building and asked me if this was a mission.

No.

No it is not.

Did you accidentally have a yellow exclamation point above your head? Sometimes I leave mine on and it confuses people.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    In-person group interview this afternoon!

Got my shirt ironed, my shoes shined, and my face shaved.

I am going to rock this so hard that they are going to offer me the job on the spot*.

*Most likely in the next week or so.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    Hunter wrote: »

No.

No it is not.

Did you accidentally have a yellow exclamation point above your head? Sometimes I leave mine on and it confuses people.

Nope. He started telling me about the ink in his blood and asked if I had a business card.

No.

No I do not.

Where's @Raijin Quickfoot with the homeless joke...

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Did you absolutely need to put in 30 hours? Was it required of you?
    i'm on a very critical project and one of the other team members told the boss that i was blocking him from doing his work, so yeah.

wanted to get that done. and billing for it.

the other dude is quite young so i don't think he realized the bind he was putting me in.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »

Until I googled it, I thought you meant
    M901-TOW-latrun-3.jpg

Ok that would also be pretty rad

And would not require me to be in NJ

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    the other dude is quite young so i don't think he realized the bind he was putting me in.

Or maybe he did and did it deliberately.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

No. Stop it. You shouldn't have to stay late because someone else fucked up or mis-worded something being critical, or because they scheduled you less time or scheduled this other guy to start too soon.

If you start making these excuses for the project management this early only you're going to get fucked.

Kochikens wrote: »

No. Stop it. You shouldn't have to stay late because someone else fucked up or mis-worded something being critical, or because they scheduled you less time or scheduled this other guy to start too soon.

If you start making these excuses for the project management this early only you're going to get fucked.

i think this assumes we're a bigger studio than we are (we don't have any project management or scheduling at all), but yeah. i've put in enough time this week.

I just had the longest phone call of my life.

This is not the department you are looking for.

I promise.

Kochikens wrote: »

i think this assumes we're a bigger studio than we are (we don't have any project management or scheduling at all), but yeah. i've put in enough time this week.

then you need to be responsible for your own schedule and not getting fucked over by other people.

seriously dude thats too much time for what, your second week? you can't start off badly.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Is it? 30 hours over a few days? 10 hour days or what?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular

I promise.
    Love these calls.

And if one of my devs or coworkers came and said that they couldn't get anything done because they were waiting on a dependency I'd smack them upside the head. There is always something else you can be working on in. It's not your responsibility to make sure your coworker has his pipeline full.

edited March 2013
    like, I know you don't want to look like youre not being a team player etc etc..

but if you're not in crunch and everyone else is also there 30 hours, having to do overtime that drains you just makes you look unprepared/unorganized/like someone who doesn't value their time instead.

Kochikens on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We got all of our new database routines working in demos yesterday, and the boss approved a roll-out for this morning into live production.

I click the first button on our new interface and what do I get? Error messages! Yay! This button basically moves information from one table to another table and does some checks to see if information might be able to go to a third table to be used later. I figured, well, it says it failed but I might as well check the table anyways to see if there is any data. There were 12 record to move, 11 of them ended up moving even though I got a "load failed" message. And that was way worse than actually having all of them load and just getting a random error message.

Turns out our developer did not realize that a zero and a null value are not the same thing when checked on a table.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

I promise.

Yeah but like

You could be wrong, you know? I mean, how sure are you really?

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Got a call/email back from a job, which is at a cute cupcake bakery, but they happen to be in a pocket of town with the most sparse and annoying bus routes. Had to email back and decline. Even the best bus scenario had me walking 8 blocks/30 minutes. Nope.

If you are an anonymous craigslist listing that says reliable transportation is important, I can only guess that you're in a part of town I can get to easily. I hate anonymous listings for this reason.

Sara Lynn on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

If 10 hour days are crunch time, then things are OK.

Now 18 hour days plus travelling back and forth between my hotel and a glass plant or one of the company's production facilities...that was hell. Granted I was still OTE then and made $Texas but after three weeks straight with no day off I nearly snapped like a dry twig.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Woo

Email from the guy handling our integration for our shipping software. Waiting on one more thing from one of the carriers, then we'll have a prep phonecall between the shipping software people, the 3rd-party integration guys, and us, and then we're ready to go live.

I'm hoping I can have most of my ducks in a row before PAX East so I'm not stressing about it.

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

I promise.

Yeah but like

I get the opposite at least a couple times a week.

"Hey, where's the valet?"
    "I'm the valet"
    "Well, where's the guy who gets our car?"
    "That'd be me. I'm the Valet."
    "Well, can you get the valet?"
    "I'm the valet"

While standing there in a uniform that say's "valet" in bright red letters...

• TefTef Registered User regular

I promise.

Yeah but like

I get the opposite at least a couple times a week.

"Hey, where's the valet?"
    "I'm the valet"
    "Well, where's the guy who gets our car?"
    "That'd be me. I'm the Valet."
    "Well, can you get the valet?"
    "I'm the valet"

While standing there in a uniform that say's "valet" in bright red letters...

Is your name Costello?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    So I mentioned that I really enjoyed the last acquisition I did and he said he'd make sure I'd be involved in more of them.

This is one more thing that'll help get me promoted off the Help Desk.

And it's actually fun setting up new equipment in a set time frame.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I promise.

Yeah but like

"I can't get into the Employee Infocenter! Is it down?"
    "No. Looks like you changed your network password the other day. Are you using the new one?"
    "But I didn't change my Infocenter password!"
    "Yes you did. It is your network password."
    "No it isn't."
    "Yes. It is. They use the same system."
    "No they don't."
    "Yes. They do."
    "Since when?"
    "Forever."

steam_sig.png
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I think I've had that conversation before.

• MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    So if any of you are interested in working at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, you can interview online now: http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men/job-interview

• ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »

If 10 hour days are crunch time, then things are OK.

Now 18 hour days plus travelling back and forth between my hotel and a glass plant or one of the company's production facilities...that was hell. Granted I was still OTE then and made $Texas but after three weeks straight with no day off I nearly snapped like a dry twig.
    Yeah, that sort of experience is miserable. When I've been at trial, we usually have an office in the same hotel we're staying, so all I do for a month or more is roll out of bed (if I wase lucky enough to sleep the night/morning/afternoon before) hop on an elevator down to my office and work for another 16-72 hours.

Highly unpleasant.

• NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    Goodbye, Job Thread.

Thank you, and come again.

This discussion has been closed.