As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Freeplay discussion

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    This might be kind of a niche thing, but I figure it can't hurt to raise the idea. As a long-time Power Rangers fan, I've become hooked on the trading card game Bandai released to go along with the new series. I've got a few extras at this point and I'm still looking for a few cards to fill out my deck. I'd also really love to get a few actual games in. Anyone feel like meeting up in Tabletop sometime on Saturday to trade and/or play?

edit: merged from Power Rangers ACG thread

zerzhul on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • zgamer200zgamer200 Registered User regular
    So anyone interested in Dungeon Command? I unfortunately cannot compete in the Dungeon Command Tourney as I'm only going Saturday, so I was hoping that maybe I could get in a few games at the Freeplay Tabletop Area.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Anybody interested in trying out the Advance Wars board game at East? I've got a copy and I'd be happy to bring it. Plays great, too. Feels just like the video games.

The_Tuninator on
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    Anybody interested in trying out the Advance Wars board game at East? I've got a copy and I'd be happy to bring it. Plays great, too. Feels just like the video games.

That looks fun. I'd like to play. I'll be around all three days, but I've got a group of people that I need to juggle. I don't want to lock down a time just yet because I'm not sure when I'll be free. If you're cool with that I could probably bring two other people. One is a seasoned board game player, and one hardly plays any games at all.

I'll be around all three days as well, so shoot me a PM when you figure out a time that works and I'll let you know if I can make it.

• embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'll be around all three days as well, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying out (as recently shown in multiple videos of the Tabletop youtube series) the Dragon Age tabletop game? I'm bringing it + all of it's expansions to PAX East Wednesday-Monday. All of my local friends are lame and don't like tabletop games, so I haven't had the chance to play it yet, and would love it if I could get a group to play with. :)

(EDIT: Wow, typos. So many typos. I'm not sure how that happened. Fixed now, though.)

embraceternity on
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'll be around all three days as well, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying out (as recently showed in multiple videos of the Tabletop youtube series) the Dragon Age tabletop game? I'm brining it + all of it's expansions to PAX East Wednesday-Monday. All of my local friends are lame and don't like tabletop games, so I haven't had the chance to play it yet, and would love it if I could get a group to play with. :)

I'm up for this! This and 'Small World' are the two games from Tabletop that I haven't had a chance to play yet. If you'll be around the Westin for the Pre-Pax 'Board Game of Thrones' I'd wager that we can get a full, eager group together.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • elleecstaticelleecstatic Registered User regular
    I'll be around all three days as well, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying out (as recently showed in multiple videos of the Tabletop youtube series) the Dragon Age tabletop game? I'm brining it + all of it's expansions to PAX East Wednesday-Monday. All of my local friends are lame and don't like tabletop games, so I haven't had the chance to play it yet, and would love it if I could get a group to play with. :)

woah, i was not aware that there was a Dragon Age tabletop game...
    Im so up for this!

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    So if anybody is looking to play A Game of Thrones or some other 3-4+ hour strategy type game, let me know. I never have the opportunity to play that sort of game. I'd rather try to get a whole lot of different things in than spend that much time on a single game, but I did really like the game of thrones second edition the couple times I played that, I figure if it's good I could sink a quarter of a day into a single game. Probably the best way to make a friend as well.

Otherwise I'm up for playing a wide variety of games, preferably with competitive people. I notice most of the posts are regarding what to play, but I'm wondering HOW does everybody play? Meaning friendly and cooperative, focused on winning pro gamer mentality, etc...? I like to say not so much that I play to win, but I play for the sake of competition. My favorite games are the ones that are neck and neck at the end. I would rather lose in a game like that than win soundly. I also like to smack talk a little and create rivalries. So if anybody else has a similar gaming mentality or knows any games suited to this sort of mentality, let me know, like I said I'm more interesting in finding the right people to play with than the right game.

• LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Regarding getting people to join your game, and using the Twitter #ttlfg hashtag: USE THE HASHTAG! Don't be afraid of it, and the more it's used, the more others will use it. Help it reach critical mass! Just tweet something like "Looking for 2 more for Small World - meet outside of Tabletop HQ #ttlfg"

But to double your chances, try this old standby. Put the game box down on a table. Remove the box lid. Hold the lid up above your head in one hand, hold up your other hand with 2 or 3 fingers up, for the number of people you need. Walk around between the freeplay tables, Call out "I need two players for Small World!"

You'll find your players in no time. Then, do a little dance. Feels good, doesn't it?

Lackey on
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular

I just watched those table top expisodes and it looks like a lot of fun. As long as I'm not committed elsewhere, I'm in. I planned to be at the Marriot Long Wharf pre-pax gaming night on Thursday, but I could go to the Westin. I'm not staying in either hotel.

I'll be around all three days as well, so shoot me a PM when you figure out a time that works and I'll let you know if I can make it.

Are you going to the board game night on Thursday at the Westin?

• EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned San Juan several comments ago -- without much enthusiasm, but I'd personally love to see it at PAX. I might be able to bring a set if anyone's interested!

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • TheHybridChildTheHybridChild Oswego NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I know last year I posted too late, so I was wondering if there were still people around who would be interested in playing a game of WOD.
    If you're interested, I will be running a Vampire:The Requiem game (and will come prepared with pregens)
    If you have a character idea feel free to email me at Toxiclolis@gmail.com for help.

~Patricia

TheHybridChild on
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    I know last year I posted too late, so I was wondering if there were still people around who would be interested in playing a game of WOD.
    If you're interested, I will be running a Vampire:The Requiem game (and will come prepared with pregens)
    If you have a character idea feel free to email me at Toxiclolis@gmail.com for help.

~Patricia

Heck yeah! Haven't played it in YEARS (yes I am old), but would definitely be interested

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular

~Patricia

If it was oWoD I'd probably be down, my Sabbat tattoo itches for the original goodness! :twisted:

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • GunstarheroesGunstarheroes Registered User regular
    So, i'd love to play some Resident Evil Deck Building with people. Its one of the few board games i don't get to play at all. I have all the expansions (and some of the promo cards!), so thats the only one i'd like to play myself.

• ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Chorazin wrote: »
    If it was oWoD I'd probably be down, my Sabbat tattoo itches for the original goodness! :twisted:

I had a request to run an oWoD game that needs a few more people before being worthwhile. I'm looking for a group of 5-6 and have 2, maybe 3 right now... I'd be willing to come in with 1 or 2 premades if anyone wants to randomly jump in as well. It would probably be Saturday night, if we get this together.

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...

Are you going to the board game night on Thursday at the Westin?

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be in on Thursday. Sorry!

• TheHybridChildTheHybridChild Oswego NYRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »

~Patricia

I would but I don't have any of the oWoD books and I've never run one, before my time and we play mostly nWoD up here.

• PaperThinPhilPaperThinPhil Registered User new member
    Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to participate in the MTG Convention League at PaxEast, but I don't want to be there all day. Also, I'm fairly new to Magic (Started in August), and I don't want to spend all day losing; is everyone participating going to be playing at a high skill level? If you sign up for the convention league, do you have to stay around and participate all day?

• revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the Convention League will be generally filled with newer players and that you will be able to find other members of the league throughout the weekend to play against, rather than needing to stay around constantly to play. If you want further clarification, you can contact the tournament organizers at their website, www.tjcollect.com.

• revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    EDIT: Sorry, double post.

revengeanceful on
    I'll be brining my Dragon Age tabletop game to the Long Wharf hotel for a prepax game night, for anyone who wants to join then:) (cc: @APacMan @elleecstatic @gonexall)

For you guys or anyone who wants to join, is there a time that works best during the PAX weekend? Saturday might be busy for me, but I would love to fit game time in on Friday or Sunday. (Or even sometime Thursday, I'll be in Boston all day that day.)

Also, @Gunstarheroes. I did /not/ know there was a Resident Evil deck game, and holy crap I would love to play that. *__*

• APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    @embraceternity I'll be speeding up the east coast on the Sonic Line, so I'll head over to Long Wharf around 8-8:30. If thats too late to start, I can always be 'rescued' on the trail & join the team.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • coolster23coolster23 Registered User regular
    For anyone else interested in Dragon Age RPG, Green Ronin has a free quickstart guide here http://greenronin.com/dragon_age/

It basically has some of the basic rules with a free introductory quest included in it with 5 pre-made characters. The quest comes with a lot of very good important things a new GM should make sure to push the players towards decision making while going through the quest, and the consequences of said decisions. I was going to try and use this to get a feel for the game with my group of friends before deciding to purchase it.

Just some FYI information on anyone interested in Dragon Age and who didn't own it yet but wanted to try it.

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to participate in the MTG Convention League at PaxEast, but I don't want to be there all day. Also, I'm fairly new to Magic (Started in August), and I don't want to spend all day losing; is everyone participating going to be playing at a high skill level? If you sign up for the convention league, do you have to stay around and participate all day?

I've had bad luck playing Magic at PAX. Two years ago, I was in a similar situation as you. I had just started drafting the M10 core set, but I neglected to play any of the more rules intensive sets. Plus, I only played online so all of the rules are handled by the client. When I went to PAX, I joined an 8-man tournament where you get 3 packs of cards then you build a deck. If you win, you get an additional pack to build a more complete deck. The tournament was full of try hards calling me out on things. I had some card that I could add a counter to every turn and I'd sometimes forget. If I asked to add my counter my opponent would say no, if I don't let you you'll learn your lesson for the future. Sure buddy, whatever. I understand that within the rules of the game, my opponents could act this way and it would obviously benefit them with an easier win, but this was a damn nooby tournament, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

I didn't learn my lesson, and I tried to play again last year. I joined a literal "beginner" tournament. We got a deck of 40 cards that were free in the swag bags, and like 1 holofoil card. This cost 10 bucks by the way. You were just supposed to play 3 rounds of swiss and I think the winner won another theme deck. My first opponent, in the beginner tournament, was a relative seasoned pro. I remember distinctly he had some black bug 1/1 that when it died could do 1 damage to another creature. I made some nooby mistake and he did some combo that ended up wiping out my creatures. I didn't realize his creature could do what it did, so I asked to not attack instead. He says the same thing the guy from the prior year said "nah man you need to learn from your mistakes so you get better". Ok bro.

It doesn't help that these guys had the personality of a rock. My friend did have better luck with his opponent in the magic beginner tournament.

I might have had a better time if I had different expectations. I figured these tournaments, especially the beginner tournament with starter decks, would be low key and more social. If you go in with the expectation that people won't help you play, or let you take back misplays, you might have a better time. You might still lose a lot though.

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I'll be brining my Dragon Age tabletop game to the Long Wharf hotel for a prepax game night, for anyone who wants to join then:) (cc: @APacMan @elleecstatic @gonexall)

For you guys or anyone who wants to join, is there a time that works best during the PAX weekend? Saturday might be busy for me, but I would love to fit game time in on Friday or Sunday. (Or even sometime Thursday, I'll be in Boston all day that day.)

Also, @Gunstarheroes. I did /not/ know there was a Resident Evil deck game, and holy crap I would love to play that. *__*

I plan to be at the Long Wharf for the prepax game night. I'm heading over from the forumers dinner, so I should get there fairly early. Sounds super-fun.
    coolster23 wrote: »
    For anyone else interested in Dragon Age RPG, Green Ronin has a free quickstart guide here http://greenronin.com/dragon_age/

It basically has some of the basic rules with a free introductory quest included in it with 5 pre-made characters. The quest comes with a lot of very good important things a new GM should make sure to push the players towards decision making while going through the quest, and the consequences of said decisions. I was going to try and use this to get a feel for the game with my group of friends before deciding to purchase it.

Just some FYI information on anyone interested in Dragon Age and who didn't own it yet but wanted to try it.

Thanks, this is super helpful. I'll make sure to prepare.

APacMan wrote: »
    @embraceternity I'll be speeding up the east coast on the Sonic Line, so I'll head over to Long Wharf around 8-8:30. If thats too late to start, I can always be 'rescued' on the trail & join the team.

Oh, you'll definitely be there on time. :D I forgot to mention that I'll be a little bit late to the pre-game night, since I'm going to a pre-pax party from 5-9. But it's right next to the hotel, and I'll be back at 9:10-9:30. You might get there before I do! I can't wait to play~ (also cc: @gonexall)

• ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    I've had bad luck playing Magic at PAX. Two years ago, I was in a similar situation as you. I had just started drafting the M10 core set, but I neglected to play any of the more rules intensive sets. Plus, I only played online so all of the rules are handled by the client. When I went to PAX, I joined an 8-man tournament where you get 3 packs of cards then you build a deck. If you win, you get an additional pack to build a more complete deck. The tournament was full of try hards calling me out on things. I had some card that I could add a counter to every turn and I'd sometimes forget. If I asked to add my counter my opponent would say no, if I don't let you you'll learn your lesson for the future. Sure buddy, whatever. I understand that within the rules of the game, my opponents could act this way and it would obviously benefit them with an easier win, but this was a damn nooby tournament, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

I didn't learn my lesson, and I tried to play again last year. I joined a literal "beginner" tournament. We got a deck of 40 cards that were free in the swag bags, and like 1 holofoil card. This cost 10 bucks by the way. You were just supposed to play 3 rounds of swiss and I think the winner won another theme deck. My first opponent, in the beginner tournament, was a relative seasoned pro. I remember distinctly he had some black bug 1/1 that when it died could do 1 damage to another creature. I made some nooby mistake and he did some combo that ended up wiping out my creatures. I didn't realize his creature could do what it did, so I asked to not attack instead. He says the same thing the guy from the prior year said "nah man you need to learn from your mistakes so you get better". Ok bro.

It doesn't help that these guys had the personality of a rock. My friend did have better luck with his opponent in the magic beginner tournament.

I might have had a better time if I had different expectations. I figured these tournaments, especially the beginner tournament with starter decks, would be low key and more social. If you go in with the expectation that people won't help you play, or let you take back misplays, you might have a better time. You might still lose a lot though.

Other people may have different experiences, but this is why I don't do tournament play anymore in Magic despite being a 17-year veteran of the game. 8/10 Magic players are like this, with 1/10 being noobs and the other 1/10 being people who actually want to help those noobs learn how to play and get better at it. I'd say your best bet for enjoying a few games of Magic without having to deal with people like that are - participate in one of the learning games with staff, which they have held in the past and might be holding this year, or find people playing casual games in the freeplay area (like me, who will be around. I will have several decks of varying strengths on me and can be found by the black "Citizen Infantry Gear" hat I will be wearing. I tend to stay in the tabletop area if I'm not at a panel).

Also - the beginner tournaments aren't for beginners, they're for pros that want an "easy win," sad to say. Though to be fair - what he did with his bug was the point of his deck from what it sounds like, so his entire intention was to do exactly what he did, which is a way to play the game. I have a deck that's similar.

fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
  • TheLV14TheLV14 Hamilton, OntarioRegistered User new member
    Hello all, I'm headed to PAX East this year and I'm wondering if anyone plays the Lord of the Rings TCG produced by Decipher. The game's been out of print for a while but I'm hoping that someone still plays.

If anyone is interested in a game I'll be bringing my movie deck.

Cheers.

• BahimironBahimiron Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    This may be a dumb question, but what's the etiquette like on board gaming? If I see someone with a game I've wanted to play for a while is it cool to say 'hey, do you need another?' or would that be rude? Last year I wanted to get in so much more board gaming than I did, but it's not always easy to just walk up to people and be like 'Gears of War? Need an extra?' if it's hard to say if that's okay with everyone.

Edit: Oh, I see someone asked something very similar to this. Awesome.

Bahimiron on
  • BahimironBahimiron Registered User new member
    Oh, someone already asked something very similar to my question. Cool.

I'd edit it to acknowledge this, but can't seem to.

So! Different question!

Is there an official list yet of who will be there doing game demos? I got in on a Mobile Frame Lego Madness (or whatever) demo last year and it was pretty awesome. I know FFG was there last year doing demos and I wish I'd gotten in on that.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    *snip*

Disclaimer: I don't play Magic, but I've played in plenty of tournaments.

Look, it's a tournament. It's not freeplay, it's not friendly play, it's a tournament. That right there tells you that it's going to be more serious. If you don't like that people are being more serious, then don't play in a tournament, post here like others and find people who want to just meet up and play casually.

If I'm playing just about anything casually and they screw up, I'll let them take back the move (as long as it hasn't gone way past the move or something). If I'm playing against someone in a tournament of any kind and they screw up, I'm sorry, it's a competition. You shouldn't expect any less and getting mad at people playing like they're in a tournament while in a tournament is silly.
    Bahimiron wrote: »
    This may be a dumb question, but what's the etiquette like on board gaming? If I see someone with a game I've wanted to play for a while is it cool to say 'hey, do you need another?' or would that be rude? Last year I wanted to get in so much more board gaming than I did, but it's not always easy to just walk up to people and be like 'Gears of War? Need an extra?' if it's hard to say if that's okay with everyone. Edit: Oh, I see someone asked something very similar to this. Awesome.

If it wasn't clear already, yea, just walk up and ask. The worst they say is, "sorry, we're full." I've hopped in on games and had others hop in on games plenty of times.

Schmulki wrote: »
    *snip*

Disclaimer: I don't play Magic, but I've played in plenty of tournaments.

Look, it's a tournament. It's not freeplay, it's not friendly play, it's a tournament. That right there tells you that it's going to be more serious. If you don't like that people are being more serious, then don't play in a tournament, post here like others and find people who want to just meet up and play casually.

I'll concede your point in the first tournament I played. You're certainly right. I was in a crabby mood when I wrote my post. I was caught up in the casual nature of PAX and wrongly assumed it would translate to a Magic tournament. My experience in the Beginner's tournament though is a different situation, and it's the reason I won't play Magic at PAX anymore. Someone originally asked

"Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to participate in the MTG Convention League at PaxEast, but I don't want to be there all day. Also, I'm fairly new to Magic (Started in August), and I don't want to spend all day losing; is everyone participating going to be playing at a high skill level?"

My answer is, you will likely spend all day losing. Participants will certainly be at a high skill level. There might be some that aren't, but if they have similar experiences to mine, you can bet they probably won't stick around for long.

This is a literal copy/paste of the event I signed up for:

Beginners Tournament
    1 Sample Deck and 1 Magic 2012 booster per player.
    Swiss only (4 rounds).
    All players receive a promo card. 1st place receives a Magic Event deck.

There were some people in this tournament who had never played Magic before. I had drafted a couple of times, and I was familiar with the most basic concepts from a core set. The guy I played was a Magic veteran. I have no idea why he would join a Beginner's tournament. I probably shouldn't have even been in this tournament, but I joined up so my friend, who never played before, and I could do something together.

My point in all of this is that the deck is stacked against you. I joined what should be the most casual Magic event at PAX. My experience was far from casual, and I ended up just leaving the tournament after my first game.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's actually a thread for discussing tabletop tournaments. Please take tabletop tournament discussion there.

*snip*

Fair enough. I always assume tourneys are "hardcore" even if they're labeled as not. I'll stop there, as this is the wrong thread for going further on this.

On the freeplay side of things, since there are more than a couple of people who are looking to play Magic for fun, hopefully you guys can get together and do so :)

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    I bought Fiasco a couple years ago. I tried reading through the rules but it just didn't click. People keep telling me that it is amazing though. Will Bully Pulpit be at PAX East this year? Will anyone who knows what they are doing be running this game?

I heard that wilw did Fiasco on TableTop, I've been meaning to go look up the episode. Will that do anything to explain it like I'm 5?

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I LOVE fiasco! Definitely go watch the TableTop version of it! Watching people play is a great way to see the rules in action. It helps a bunch that wil+friends happen to be very entertaining.

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
    Fiasco COMPLETELY relies on the group playing it. There's VERY little direct gameplay, it's all roleplaying/improv and there isn't really a winner/loser (and it's not even like there's a co-op thing where the group can win or lose). If you have a group who can have fun doing a couple of hours of riffing and messing around like that, and that being the real value you get out of the experience, it could be a lot of fun. If you have a bunch of people trying to "win" the game.....it's not going to be very good.

This discussion has been closed.