As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raleigh/Durham PAX Meetups

AthenaRoseAthenaRose Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX General Discussion
Hello,
I was wondering if there is anybody here on the forums who live in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas that would like to meet up sometime? My husband went to his first PAX this year and had a blast, and although I would like to go, I am painfully shy and would love meet others who live around here and maybe play D&D or board games? We own Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc. Respond here if you are from the area and would like to meet up =).

zerzhul on

• Options
    Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    snaps and dang, I'm near that area. and yes, pax is a blast. I actually credit it a lot with me getting over being so shy. Well, that and the influence of a certain nautical lunatic in alaska. I've got the next few days off, shoot me a pm regarding meeting up.

Thin Red Paste on
  • Options
    LOL! I know that there is an NC Gameday coming up at NC State that we are planning on going to also...it's on Saturday, April 28th. Sounds like fun! Although I'm sure that it's NOTHING like PAX =).

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    HOLA! I am in Durham and would LOVE to game with some other PAX folks during the year. I have not met many other gamers in the 2 years I've lived here (I thought there'd be more of us!) so I must say I am psyched to see this thread!

I am around for NC State Gameday (hadn't heard of it, so will be googling shortly) but other than that would definitely be up for a board and or console game meet-up! Or D&D for that matter. I play 4E.

In terms of board games I've got some classics like Citadels, Carcassonne, and Cathedrals, some longer games like Merchants and Marauders, Railway Rivals, and Infinite City, and I've even got some party games like Taboo, Party Playoff, Wise and Otherwise, A2A, etc. I'm pretty much down for any game ever, whether I've played it lots or am just learning it.

What can I do to help a meet-up come to fruition?

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    maybe we can all meet up during the NC Gameday and maybe try to make a weekly/bi-weekly meet up someplace? We just bought a home and I would LOVE to have people over, and I know that my husband would be STOKED if we had an in-person gaming group (he games online with some folks who don't live in NC).

What do you think?

• Options
    Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    unfortunately I work all day on the 28th, so I wont be able to go to the gameday.

• Options
    I don't think I'm going to be able to make the gameday either, unfortunately. But we should still try to meet up sometime, maybe at a cafe or a brewery and play some games and see if we want to make it a regular thing. Where are you guys located? I'm in Durham, and there are a couple good places there where we could camp at a table for a few hours and no one would bother us.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    That sounds good. We live off of East Highway 98 and are really close to Briar Creek. How about you guys? We could also do something near 9th Street or the Southpoint area. Maybe we can plan for two weeks from now on a Saturday evening? Let me know where and when would be good for us to meet =).

• Options
    We can also do Sci Fi Genre which is near 15-501 too =)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    AthenaRose wrote: »
    We can also do Sci Fi Genre which is near 15-501 too =)

I am at SciFi Genre almost every Monday night for their regular board game night! You should totally come check that out sometime! It's a good group of folks, but since none of them are PAXers there's not been that extra common ground to encourage gaming outside of the store.

Two weeks from now on Saturday I'll be on a plane on my way to Australia! :) My first free Saturday is May 26th. If you're able to come to the game store on the 23rd or 30th of April, I'll be around both those days before I leave for my 2 weeks down under.

browncoatbeth on

• Options
    Hm..we may be able to. What time does the board gaming start?

• Options
    usually between 6 and 6:30, but people show up at varying times until 8, so games get started at all different times. lasts til about 10/1030

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    If you're looking for gaming-related stuff in Raleigh, there's a pretty baller game store on Glenwood, about halfway between 440 and 540. You can look them up on google, it's called Game Theory, and it's basically awesome.

I might be down for some forum-meetup type shindig, but I'm sure it'd be a small affair, since there's probably not many of us in the Triangle.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    True, but I personally do better in smaller groups. I tend to freeze up in large groups. It looks like there are at least 5 of us in the area based on responses to this thread!

• Options
    Four. @netskink is pretty clearly spambot.

• Options
    @Tox - I have been to game theory - it is indeed awesome. I've been meaning to try to check out their weekly game nights. I also like the game connection in Knightdale, but it is SUPER far away from me. So there's that. But yes, you should join us for a small meet up. There are at least 3 other forumers in this area, because they were on Zerzhul's "where are you from" map for east, but I'm not sure how active they are on the forums.

@AthenaRose - I totally forgot that I can not go to game night at Sci Fi Genre this week - I have tickets to see Grouplove & Company of Thieves at Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill tonight. I am so sorry!!! I am definitely still interested in meeting you and your hubby though, I promise! We will have to get together when I get back from Australia in 3 weeks.

• Options
    I will say this, if you're at all interested in 4th edition, Game Theory has an amazing Living Forgotten Realms event every monday night. You need to check their meetup to sign up, and it's a $2 admission, but you have a chance to win a cool prize every night, and if you DM, you get $10 store credit. It's a solid event.

• Options
    anathaleanathale Registered User regular
    Don't really play anything other than MMO's but I'm in RTP. This is going to be my second trip and i'm flying to Seattle on Wednesday prior to PAX if anyone wants to meet up

• Options
    ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    Just found this thread....we live in the Cary area and would love to meet up with other gamers. We hang out out Gamer's Armory in Cary and play board games and Magic the Gathering. If there is still an interest, would love to meet up with others. Who all is heading up to PAX this year?

• Options
    PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Psykus on
  • Options
    reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    Anyone in WNC/Asheville? We'd love to hang out at The Wyvern's Tale or something.

• Options
    TimeSyphonTimeSyphon Registered User regular
    I'm not in RTP but I am over that way multiple times a year to see friends and it always involves gaming. If there is any sort of semi-regular gaming happening I could definitely schedule trips around that sort of thing, always looking for people who appreciate board games. I will be at PAX East as usual, with other gamer friends.

• Options
    jsh357jsh357 Registered User regular
    I am moving to Chapel Hill this year around July. I went to Scifigenre a few times last time I was there, but showed up too late to join in any games. Hopefully I will have more luck when I move there.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Anyone in WNC/Asheville? We'd love to hang out at The Wyvern's Tale or something.

Totally this.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Kardon47Kardon47 North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I live in Raleigh and I plan on looking for some interesting board games at PAX this year.