The Ongoing Development of A Weeaboo [NSFW]

MagicalPrincessMagicalPrincess Registered User new member
edited March 2013 in Artist's Corner
Tell us what your goals as an artist are.
Draw hottie anime babes. I'd love to be able to emulate current Japanese manga styles with 1:1 accuracy and then proceed to fuck around with it with my western story-telling tastes & pop-culture influences.

How long have you been practicing this form of art?
Just over 12 months. I live & work in Japan. When I found the "how to draw manga" section of my local bookstore, I picked a book out. I was always into JRPG's and their anime character designs. Drawing would be a cheap & rewarding hobby.

I had come abroad with nothing and was making a very low income. A gamer with no consoles/PC. Hanging out at a cafe and doodling for hours became routine. It's cool to see my own progress through all the sketchbooks I've filled. I recently got a gaming laptop and am kinda hating on myself for not drawing as much lately. Thought joining an arty forum would be a good idea.

Who are some artists or styles that you admire who you strive to be like in your own work?
The stuff I want to master is mostly proportions and other general figure-drawing stuff. In terms of that, 99.9% of the current mainstream anime/manga design is identical. Originality is expressed through hair, color palette and costume design. No one artist comes to mind, I just want to master that mainstream style.

Ya'll might want to roll your eyes at that comment. Hardly expression yourself at all, how un-artistic! But I think there is satisfaction to be found from mastering a solid set of rules.

One of the first bad habits I picked up was drawing via grid. I'd bring a picture up in photoshop, overlay a grid, then draw a matching grid on paper and copy with as much attention to detail as I could. The reference image for this sketch was actually of a plastic figure, not a cartoon.

b1EXd92.jpg

Did this for a while. The paper and grid size got bigger.

MtIJXNe.jpg

Hrz9rat.jpg

7aGywaQ.jpg

Throughout this whole time I was still doodling pictures from my mind, but they were super shit. My copying however got super better, along with doing grid drawings of existing art of characters I liked, I was also reading and copying from a HEAP of actual Japanese "Manga Design" books. SO MANY GOOD BOOKS. These taught the basics like ""DRAW CIRCLE FOR HEAD, EYE & EARS GO HERE". Eventually, I dropped the grid altogether and was able to copy pretty quickly.

5FZ7WM0.jpg

KRJhNVq.jpg

gAd6hEx.jpg

jIByARv.jpg

Pissed that I still couldn't draw anything original (that was good-looking), I started getting into proper figure drawing. Started on the popular "Structure Of Man" course, but the lack of boobs wasn't really helping, so I found help elsewhere from all over. This is where I'm at now when "drawing from the mind".

heVUz5a.jpg

QMuhoET.jpg

7O3lckR.jpg

l6LdG05.jpg

And yeah, that's where I'm at. I suppose what I'm hoping to get out of the forums is [1] Tips on what to concentrate on specifically and [2] excuses to draw more.

Look forward to getting to know you. From Tokyo with love, Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.

OjXL8ub.jpg

Grifter on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You'll probably be hard pressed to strike a balance between intensive figure study and not-so-intensive "boob" based figure study and see marked improvement. Anime is in a weird place where, for the most part, your knowledge of anatomy is probably going to out weigh your knowledge of cartooning. If you were drawing a more american style, looney toons or adventure time like, I would say really simple shape studies would help you most.

Shape studies will still help you, but you wont be able to make good, proportional/structural choices on your own without studying a bit on the traditional anatomy side. Anime figures are stretched and simplified, but they don't have rubber hose arms or three finger hands to help you ignore more complex learning.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172670/feb-monthly-enrichment-simple-shapes-light-and-form
    The last monthly enrichment thread was about shapes, you may want to use it to check where your construction skills are lacking.

MPcrit.jpg

Nailing construction will help you solve problems like "where does this eye go, even though its under hair?" and make the subtle differences in things like line weight. Basically, you'll have to do some work to move your mental process from "copy" to understanding shape and form. The style you choose to imitate after you gain those basics is all purely up to you.

bombardier