As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo - Her games, her systems, her luscious curves.

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
This is a thread for talking about Nintendo. This is the thread that the old Nintendo thread claimed to be but wasn't actually. There is probably a metaphor somewhere in there for the WiiU.

Anyway, what are some good games on the current and past Nintendo systems? What do you find awesome or sucky about <insert Nintendo console here>?

If you want to talk about how the WiiU totally sucks/rocks as compared to the PS4/720, this is not the thread for you! That thread lies elsewhere!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Since it's probably my fault the last thread got locked I'll type something long...

I'd just like to say that the Wii U gets used a ridiculous amount in my household. I've already purchased 6 games (two preorders) and will probably get Need For Speed next month as well. There's something about the console that just clicks when you sit down with it, and everyone that I've had try it gets the same feeling.

Its strange to think that what is ostensibly a games only company has somehow managed in two generations to take over my living room. My GameCube never saw this much love (although I do have a good sized game collection for it).

I think one thing that helps is Nintendo's odd attention to detail in design. You saw this evolve in games before but only more recently in regards to system os. Every action has associated sound, animation, and reaction from the interface. It's the same thing that Apple gets so much praise for.

I'm just curious what system updates might add or refine, and I'm actually pretty curious to see what was actually changed in WW HD (because it's easy to spot the differences since we can still put the disc in our Wii... which sounds wrong).

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Still not interested in buying one.

• ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    I've recently seen a few Wii U black bundles available, but I haven't had the urge to get one either... yet, even though I know I will probably end up buying one sometime.

The problem right now is, why would I bother? There really isn't much that's being offered that I can't buy already on the systems I own, and the systems I own are still getting regular new releases that I want.

Maybe when the next X Box and PS get released, the Wii U will start to be more appealing to people who want to play new games that are only available on the new systems, but don't want to pay the (what I'm assuming will be) big launch prices for the new Sony and MS systems.

For me, I'd like an exclusive game that really appeals to me, and that just doesn't exist yet. Fire Emblem did it last time for the Wii, don't know what it will be this time. Smash Bros.?

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Valleo wrote: »
    I've recently seen a few Wii U black bundles available, but I haven't had the urge to get one either... yet, even though I know I will probably end up buying one sometime.

The problem right now is, why would I bother? There really isn't much that's being offered that I can't buy already on the systems I own, and the systems I own are still getting regular new releases that I want.

Maybe when the next X Box and PS get released, the Wii U will start to be more appealing to people who want to play new games that are only available on the new systems, but don't want to pay the (what I'm assuming will be) big launch prices for the new Sony and MS systems.

For me, I'd like an exclusive game that really appeals to me, and that just doesn't exist yet. Fire Emblem did it last time for the Wii, don't know what it will be this time. Smash Bros.?

They had a teaser trailer for Fire EmblemXShin Megami Tensei during the last US WiiU focused Nintendo Direct

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The new Tomb Raider game isn't coming to the Wii U?

edited February 2013
    emnmnme wrote: »

CD's said if they do, they want to make something that uses the GamePad well instead of just a port, apparently

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Lanz wrote: »

CD's said if they do, they want to make something that uses the GamePad well instead of just a port, apparently
    So probably 6-8 months from now, after most of the target audience has had a chance to play it.

and the developer will blame the poor sales on a lack of interest on the device for non-nintendo properties, which will only be half the story.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

So probably never.

Fixed. The "we don't want to port it unless we do something awesome with the tablet" was such a bullshit explanation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I played the Wii U for the first time yesterday.

Overall impression:

- Decent graphics. I played demos of NSMBU and Rayman Legends, the latter surprisingly looking much better than the former. I was bored with NSMBU within moments of playing it. It's just the same old bland shtick that hasn't been novel since 1989 or so. Rayman Legends was much more enjoyable in terms of both aesthetics and gameplay; I didn't find it particularly novel at its core (it seemed like basically a riff on Sonic the Hedgehog), but it was playful and energetic. It wasn't something I could see myself losing hours playing, but it was enjoyable for what it was.

- Handling. I've got bigger hands than most people, and I still found the tablet controller to be unwieldy. The shoulder buttons felt out of place, the surface buttons felt too small and bunched too tightly, and the screen was too far for my thumbs to comfortably reach when needed.

- The screen. Utterly unnecessary. After getting started in the actual games themselves, I never used it or thought about it.

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    It's an interesting dilemma that Nintendo's been dealing with for a while now. If you provide a unique way to play games, you have arguably developed that unique way for explicit reasons which you are working on. The DS was the first really successful example of this, in my mind, as it came out and many people thought it was ridiculous. Developers didn't have a good sense of how to really use it. Nintendo then released a bevy of games designed for the DS, and developers caught on -- oh, we can do THAT, and we can also do THIS, neat!

With the wii, we didn't get a lot of really interesting or, to be honest, good uses of the wiimote from Nintendo right out the gate. WiiSports was a watershed moment but it didn't translate well to other games, either due to the fact that they were sports games in genres that were generally not popular (most people are not particularly excited about video game bowling) or because the 1st generation wiimote was not that precise. Nintendo did release some games that worked well, but it struck me that if they had released a really good FPS and Skyward Sword early in the Wii's life, developers would have seen those examples and said "Oh, that's how we can do it. OK, let's do that."

Developers are busy, they have other things to do, and in general they only have a few people working on the overall design of games. It's easy to say "OK team, we're going to have the UI team work on how to map this to the Xbox and PS3 controllers." Now add "And Bob, how about you think of how we can make this work with a Wiimote." Dedicating resources to figuring out how to use a brand new device/system when you're otherwise working on games isn't trivial, and those overall decisions are absolutely made at a high level. If I am making ANY game for all 3 platforms, I have to think about my expected sales, and then think about how to allocate resources. Mapping to a standard controller is trivial. The more I have to customize, the more cost involved, and the more risk involved. It makes sense, really, when you consider that in general the differences between the 360 and PS3 are not controller-related, but plenty of people complained that ports to the Wii were just waggle and had functionality removed because it couldn't be supported with the Wii's controller options.

Now we have a giant tablet thing attached to the system. If I simply port to the Wii U, I have to consider whether users will be upset that I didn't use the tablet. Otherwise, I need to consider how to implement the tablet functionality. Does that change my game? If I am dedicating resources to using the tablet, shouldn't I put some effort into how that affects the overall game?

It's a dilemma, and we don't have many (any?) full-length games from Nintendo showing developers what they're thinking about. We have some minigames again that focus on multiplayer experiences. Now, I love fun multiplayer experiences, but are there ANY immediate analogues being released on the PS3/360? I don't know of any. So a developer would have to either develop a full game from scratch specific to the Wii U, or would have to take a game currently in development and repurpose it to incorporate a tablet.

Honestly, the saving grace for Nintendo may be that we're seeing smartphones used for some of these potential purposes, so the game architecture may end up being relatively similar between the consoles. But it's a big deal for Nintendo at this point. They need to release more games not just to show users what's up with the system, but to give developers an idea about what they can accomplish -- or what Nintendo users will accept -- with the Wii U. The developers aren't nearly as close to Nintendo's hardware.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited February 2013
    I played the Wii U for the first time yesterday.

Overall impression:

- Decent graphics. I played demos of NSMBU and Rayman Legends, the latter surprisingly looking much better than the former. I was bored with NSMBU within moments of playing it. It's just the same old bland shtick that hasn't been novel since 1989 or so. Rayman Legends was much more enjoyable in terms of both aesthetics and gameplay; I didn't find it particularly novel at its core (it seemed like basically a riff on Sonic the Hedgehog), but it was playful and energetic. It wasn't something I could see myself losing hours playing, but it was enjoyable for what it was.

- Handling. I've got bigger hands than most people, and I still found the tablet controller to be unwieldy. The shoulder buttons felt out of place, the surface buttons felt too small and bunched too tightly, and the screen was too far for my thumbs to comfortably reach when needed.

- The screen. Utterly unnecessary. After getting started in the actual games themselves, I never used it or thought about it.

Play Nintendo Land for that kind of stuff (involving the screen). Or even Assassins Creed 3 (with no on-screen HUD). Or heck ZombiU. Also I'm not sure about the NSMBU demo, but the game itself doesn't pick up until the second world Layer Cake Desert where you start getting some ridiculous levels. It's actually a lot of fun and very similar to Super Mario World. Graphically though it's a higher res NSMB Wii with better assets and AA (besides a few elements like more/better lighting and special effects).

The controller itself is basically a modified SNES or Classic Controller Pro. It's very comfortable but only if you get to sit down with it, or otherwise hold it on your own. Not latched to a kiosk. The funny thing about the screen is after you get used to it anything that doesn't use it properly becomes incredibly frustrating.

Mblackwell on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I'm really only looking forward to Bayonetta 2. I've replayed Bayonetta at least thrice now and I need more.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Now we have a giant tablet thing attached to the system. If I simply port to the Wii U, I have to consider whether users will be upset that I didn't use the tablet. Otherwise, I need to consider how to implement the tablet functionality. Does that change my game? If I am dedicating resources to using the tablet, shouldn't I put some effort into how that affects the overall game?

In my opinion, the DS has shown that all you really need to do with a second screen is to slap up a map or some stats or something like that. Anything that allows the game to have one fewer menu, and you've already made a significant improvement.

With the Wii U, you can do that and also leave the thing you're displaying on the second screen in the normal interface as well, and allow for off-screen play. Sure it's lazy, but it's still nice to have. There's no need to add in features that don't fit the rest of the gameplay.

The DS Castlevanias are a really good example of this in action. The first had some tacked-on touchscreen features, which were generally pointless and annoying, as well as a toggle between enemy stats and a map. The second and third had toggles between enemy stats and a map, because those were the features that actually made the game better.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

The thing with roku is the non subscription channels suck ass.

There's also no YouTube channel which boggles the mind.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    And I really wish FiOS would do what TWC did and offer their channels through the Roku box. FiOS' service is impeccable, but their DVRs and media centers are janky and ungainly.

Another disastrous month, 64K sold for WiiU.

There can only be one end to this: Monumental turnaround and complete market domination.

Allforce wrote: »
    Another disastrous month, 64K sold for WiiU.

There can only be one end to this: Monumental turnaround and complete market domination.

Recently one of the Japanese gaming magazines announced Pokemon Rumble U.

It will have all the Pokemon

And use NFC with figures a la Skylanders.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Speaking of Nintendo having a great day: Federal Jury Rules Nintendo Infringed On Inventor’s Glasses-Free 3D Patent, Awards $30.2 Million

I find this to be karmic justice for Nintendo's focus on gimmicks, rather than actual gameplay enhancements.

64k is better than January's 44k.

The same way a puncture wound to the sclera is better than a wound to the iris or retina.

edited March 2013
    Not sure where you saw that number. I only saw "up 40%" on a couple of sites I visited. That's closer to 77K, and means that sales are climbing. Considering there were no new games to buy for it until THIS month, that's saying something. Another 40% and you have over 100K sales in a month, and if you had a sustained 200K a month (which at the current growth rate you'd hit by May) that's about 1.6 million units sold in the last 8 months of the year alone (2M for the entire year). And that's assuming we don't really get any more new games which is an incorrect assumption to make. Just saying it's not explosive but it's not exactly DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

And based on board activity (which is not empirical data) interest is being piqued by games like Monster Hunter alone. Between that and Lego City I'm actually seeing people pop in and say, "Hey, I may as well get this..." And there's been enough games being sold that the console should have a pretty high attach rate at this point.

Mblackwell on

_J_ wrote: »
    Speaking of Nintendo having a great day: Federal Jury Rules Nintendo Infringed On Inventor’s Glasses-Free 3D Patent, Awards $30.2 Million

I find this to be karmic justice for Nintendo's focus on gimmicks, rather than actual gameplay enhancements.

Good lord. Sony is going to be swallowed by the earth.

edited March 2013
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Not sure where you saw that number. I only saw "up 40%" on a couple of sites I visited. That's closer to 77K, and means that sales are climbing. Considering there were no new games to buy for it until THIS month, that's saying something. Another 40% and you have over 100K sales in a month, and if you had a sustained 200K a month (which at the current growth rate you'd hit by May) that's about 1.6 million units sold in the last 8 months of the year alone (2M for the entire year). And that's assuming we don't really get any more new games which is an incorrect assumption to make. Just saying it's not explosive but it's not exactly DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

And based on board activity (which is not empirical data) interest is being piqued by games like Monster Hunter alone. Between that and Lego City I'm actually seeing people pop in and say, "Hey, I may as well get this..." And there's been enough games being sold that the console should have a pretty high attach rate at this point.

It's confirmed 64-66k by folks at GAF who have access to NPD numbers and other industry insiders.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=50166099

Allforce on
    Oh, MBlackwell.

You silly.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    So I was playing a Wii U recently, and generally enjoying the experience, but I found that I had the hardest damned time looking at the TV.

I was playing Super Mario Brothers, which replicates the action on the tablet, and something in my brain is absolutely hardwired not to look away from the screen of a hand-held gaming device. I had to turn off the TV.

Not yet sure if that's a bug or a feature.

Edd wrote: »
    So I was playing a Wii U recently, and generally enjoying the experience, but I found that I had the hardest damned time looking at the TV.

I was playing Super Mario Brothers, which replicates the action on the tablet, and something in my brain is absolutely hardwired not to look away from the screen of a hand-held gaming device. I had to turn off the TV.

Considering I have a great TV, I wouldn't be to quick to wax positive on the console's ability to not make me want to use it.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    ahahahaha

it's still your choice you know

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Uh, "up 40%" on 44k is like 62k. If you prorate the daily rate to make the month lengths match, you get 68,200.

Which is still worse than any month the 360 or PS3 ever had.

Edd wrote: »

Its so you can enter the assistance mode at any time. Which admittedly is helpful for a big old cheater like me.

Its not like Mario games have a lot of menus though so I can see why they decided to go that route.

edited March 2013
    a5ehren wrote: »

Uh, "up 40%" on 44k is like 62k. If you prorate the daily rate to make the month lengths match, you get 68,200.

Which is still worse than any month the 360 or PS3 ever had.

Wasn't it reported as around 50-55K?

And I'm sorry I don't read random NeoGAF threads. Or use them as citations. Either way if that's true the numbers I had shift by one month. Woopie.

@Edd
    I actually had that problem at first too. I ended up using a Wii Remote for awhile to "overcome" it. But for whatever reason one day I was able to swap my focus between the two fairly easily, maybe it was after just having more time with the console in general.

Mblackwell on

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-15-wii-u-sells-66-000-in-february

Is that better? Still beaten by GAF who always has the scoop.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This is the Nintendo thread? But the title isn't about hating Nintendo? Does not compute.

This is the Nintendo thread? But the title isn't about hating Nintendo? Does not compute.

Don't worry. I'm still keeping the tradition alive within the body of my posts.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You can still get the original Zelda game for one of Nintendo's handhelds, right? Does anybody remember the pattern to get out of the forest?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    You can still get the original Zelda game for one of Nintendo's handhelds, right? Does anybody remember the pattern to get out of the forest?
    North West South West

SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited August 2013
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also, the Vita has dropped in price to $200, the PS3 has dropped in price to $200, and the 360 will likely drop in price soon.

Hooray for expected price drops on the eve of new systems!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I'm not sure what I think of the 2DS - looks completely not-portable, with a minimal price difference and the exact same screens as the normal model... And half the price difference is eaten up by a case you will need to protect the screens from scratches because it doesn't fold shut.

Seems... odd. But who am I to judge?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Seems like a bad sign when Nintendo's next-gen console is reacting to upcoming console releases as if it was a last-gen console.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.