As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    It's still crazy to me that Michigan is the #5 seed, Iowa is the #6 seed, and Minnesota is the #9 seed.

And Illinois wins by 2. To receive the honor of playing Indiana.

camo_sig2.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Michigan lost to Penn State, so that's fair. Iowa had a SUPER favorable schedule (not as favorable as Wisconsin, but close) so they got to play the dregs a bunch and the elite teams not a bunch and thus got to 9-9. And as he just proved again, Tubby Smith is a terrible coach, so that explains that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Michigan lost to Penn State, so that's fair. Iowa had a SUPER favorable schedule (not as favorable as Wisconsin, but close) so they got to play the dregs a bunch and the elite teams not a bunch and thus got to 9-9. And as he just proved again, Tubby Smith is a terrible coach, so that explains that.

Wait, what's so favorable about WI's Big 10 schedule? I'm just doing a ballpark comparison here on the top 6 teams but compared to MI they had 1 fewer game against Indiana (still a road game though) and had one extra game against Minn.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Of the other four elite teams, Wisconsin got Michigan once, Indiana once, and Ohio State once. They only played Sparty twice, and got swept.

edited March 2013
    Of the other four elite teams, Wisconsin got Michigan once, Indiana once, and Ohio State once. They only played Sparty twice, and got swept.

They had OSU twice actually. Dominated them at home and lost badly on the road. I don't know what you mean by only playing MSU twice since I don't think any two teams play each other three times in the regular season, but those two losses are offset by the win over Michigan and the road win over Indiana.

Sure it's not quite as hard as Michigan's schedule, but I don't think you're giving WI enough credit when the only big difference between their schedule and Michigan's is replacing a home game against IN with a home game against Minn.

Sir Landshark on

Oh, I know it's explainable, but it's still an oddity. If the standings were strictly based on talent, they would barely resemble what they are actually. Also, do you think Iowa can play their way in to the dance without winning outright? I'd think they have to at least reach the final personally, their SOS is pretty shitty.

camo_sig2.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I don't care how the rest of this game ends. That missed dunk was worth it.

OSUJumpMan wrote: »

Oh, I know it's explainable, but it's still an oddity. If the standings were strictly based on talent, they would barely resemble what they are actually. Also, do you think Iowa can play their way in to the dance without winning outright? I'd think they have to at least reach the final personally, their SOS is pretty shitty.

They're a 20 win .500 team in the nation's best conference. If they beat Sparty tomorrow I think they should be in.

My response to that half is BLAAAAAAAAARGH

Also, that Glenn Robinson needs to remember how to play basketball.

Michigan just needs to leave McGary in.

Holy shit, it just NOW occurred to me that the tournament might fuck up my commute home from work today.

Also, Penn State totally smells the blood in the water.

camo_sig2.png
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Michigan just needs to leave McGary in.

More specifically, we should play the two big lineup as much as possible.

Also: If you told me before January that Sasa Borovnjak was going to be a player I was sad was leaving, I would have laughed at you. The dude has completely owned the inside in the last few months and is basically the only reason PSU has been able to make it's game work. No idea what the hell we are going to do next year. The only solace I have is Frazier coming back.

Well, based on the last month or so, Chambers can coach so you've got that going for you.

Block somebody out. Come on.

edited March 2013
    So I'm poking around on ESPN's website and I see these BPI rankings that have Louisville #1 and Florida #4? Is this like ESPN's QBR stat where it's totally proprietary and mostly bullshit?

Sir Landshark on
    Efficiency margins will do that. When they win, they win HUGE. Ken Pomeroy still has Florida #1, for reference. Louisville is third.

So I'm poking around on ESPN's website and I these BPI rankings that have Louisville #1 and Florida #4? Is this like ESPN's QBR stat where it's totally proprietary and mostly bullshit?

Mostly. It appears to be based on how much better you are than the teams you play. So a really good team in a shitty conference (Kansas in the Big 12, Florida in the SEC) gets just as much credit as a really good team in a really good conference. It also seems to think that the Big East and the Pac-12 are much better than they actually are.

camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2013
    When we lose this game, it's 95% on Marshall. Playing too greedy.

Edit: I lied. It's because we cannot get a rebound to save our lives.

Mvrck on
    Now please beat Wisconsin.
    Edit: I lied. It's because we cannot get a rebound to save our lives.

Hey, that's why we lost to Indiana!

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Hey we do actually have a NCAA basketball thread around here...

NCAA Tourney time is almost here... Just sent out the initial email for our annual bracket pool at work.

So anyone want to lay odds on how dominant my Big 10 will be in the tourney this year? Without a doubt the strongest conference in the country this year. However they normally are underrated and end up over performing so it'll be interesting this year to see if they can live up to expectations.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »

NCAA Tourney time is almost here... Just sent out the initial email for our annual bracket pool at work.

So anyone want to lay odds on how dominant my Big 10 will be in the tourney this year? Without a doubt the strongest conference in the country this year. However they normally are underrated and end up over performing so it'll be interesting this year to see if they can live up to expectations.

This thread is pretty much dominated by Big 10 fans so I doubt you'll get much argument here.

I think there's 4 teams in the Big 10 that have a legit shot at the championship (Mich/MSU/OSU/Ind). It will be interesting seeing what kind of seeds they get.

3/2 depending on today, 2, 2, 1

In related news, I hate adidas. You'll see why in 3 hours!

I'm actually kind of amazed Michigan has stuck with Adidas for so long for their uniforms. They must have an insane deal to not have gone over to the Nike camp by now.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

This thread is pretty much dominated by Big 10 fans so I doubt you'll get much argument here.

I think there's 4 teams in the Big 10 that have a legit shot at the championship (Mich/MSU/OSU/Ind). It will be interesting seeing what kind of seeds they get.

Even the non-B1G fans are well aware that it's the best conference in the country. It's going to make the seeding interesting as the committee tries to avoid putting them together. Anyone remember if there are actual rules about that?

Bobble wrote: »

Even the non-B1G fans are well aware that it's the best conference in the country. It's going to make the seeding interesting as the committee tries to avoid putting them together. Anyone remember if there are actual rules about that?

I think you can't have an in-conference matchup before the Sweet 16? Don't know if there are any additional rules though.

I'm actually kind of amazed Michigan has stuck with Adidas for so long for their uniforms. They must have an insane deal to not have gone over to the Nike camp by now.

We were with Nike until like 2005 I want to say?

Illinois might be lucky to score 30.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I was at the gym over lunch and saw Miami up about 12 early on.

I get back to my desk and I see Boston College is leading by 2. That late season fade from Miami smells a little more real right now.

Bobble wrote: »
    I was at the gym over lunch and saw Miami up about 12 early on.

I get back to my desk and I see Boston College is leading by 2. That late season fade from Miami smells a little more real right now.

I haven't been following the ACC outside of Duke very closely this year but isn't BC kind of terrible? This is surprising.

BC is the 8 or 9 seed. It's a bit odd.

Also, goodbye to Illinois, you are a maddening basketball team. It's entirely possible they'll randomly get hot and make the Sweet Sixteen and it's also entirely possible they'll lose by 30 in the first round.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Man I watched Oregon and Washington last night and that game suuuucked.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Man I watched Oregon and Washington last night and that game suuuucked.

And now Oregon lucks out and gets to play Utah who upset the "2 seed" California while UCLA plays Arizona in the other semis game.

vRyue2p.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    This is an incredibly ugly first 5 minutes.

Glenn Robinson got a rebound in traffic! That's like his first in a month.

edited March 2013
    Please don't be hurt badly, Tim.

enlightenedbum on
    Uggggggh Wisconsin basketball. You're the worst.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Your pain keeps me going since this team obviously can't

How do you watch this team 30 times a year?

This discussion has been closed.