As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2013 Registration: Badges have started to arrive!

• DanWDanW Cambridge MARegistered User new member
    Well, I have the proverbial good news and bad news. The good news: I got my 3-day pass in the mail. :) The bad news: my wife recycled the envelope with the pass inside. :(

I've forgiven my wife and I've emailed the authorities to see what my options are. Just waiting for their response now...

• King_of_DewKing_of_Dew Registered User regular
    Anyone who does not receive their tickets in time can easily submit a charge back claim to the credit card company and get reimbursed. PAX has no proof that they delivered the service and/or product without a tracking number.

Technically, anyone that didn't upgrade to FedEx can do this, whether or not they got the tickets. PAX is likely to learn a hard (and expensive) lesson over the next 2 weeks.

I wouldn't call this ignorance, because it is common sense in the eCommerce world. It would be more on the lines of pure defiance.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Anyone who does not receive their tickets in time can easily submit a charge back claim to the credit card company and get reimbursed. PAX has no proof that they delivered the service and/or product without a tracking number.

Technically, anyone that didn't upgrade to FedEx can do this, whether or not they got the tickets. PAX is likely to learn a hard (and expensive) lesson over the next 2 weeks.

I wouldn't call this ignorance, because it is common sense in the eCommerce world. It would be more on the lines of pure defiance.
    I doubt it. Not like this thing (in various forms) hasn't been going on for around a decade using some version of this mailing system.

• bschorybschory Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    DanW wrote: »
    Well, I have the proverbial good news and bad news. The good news: I got my 3-day pass in the mail. :) The bad news: my wife recycled the envelope with the pass inside. :(

I've forgiven my wife and I've emailed the authorities to see what my options are. Just waiting for their response now...

Oh no! I hope this works out and you get your pass back!

It is true that many still ship this way. Most people are honest, so some companies do a calculated risk. However, waiting to to ship 2 weeks before an event, will cause issues for honest people as well.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

If you would like to debate ticket selling/fulfillment methods, there's a thread in the debate and discourse subforum in which to do that. In the mean time, suggesting that PAX is going to learn an expensive lesson over the next two weeks when they have been using this distribution method for years upon years is silly.

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    FYI: the USPS does now track all packages and gives the shipper a tracking number. So, PAX East can check to see if anyones passes weren't actually delivered. However, once they get to you, they are your responsibility. So be careful with them. And by all means do NOT leave them at home.

• Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

If you would like to debate ticket selling/fulfillment methods, there's a thread in the debate and discourse subforum in which to do that. In the mean time, suggesting that PAX is going to learn an expensive lesson over the next two weeks when they have been using this distribution method for years upon years is silly.

Never mind that they could reasonably just ask the customer to pick them up at will-call. What's with the "pure defiance" thing anyway? It's a great event for the money and the community is pretty awesome.

By "defiance" I was referring to them disregarding a calculation of risk. I don't have their exact numbers of course, but with as little info as I have, it is quite shocking.

To be clear, the decision to mail tickets out 2 weeks before the event is the part that really affects the finals numbers and increases the risk so much.

In the past, they allowed a full month. But

Not trying to bash anyone at PAX. What they do it great, but this might be something they should consider discussing with whomever they contract to fulfill ticket orders.

I know some people personally that are flying out to Boston this week for business, and don't have tickets yet.

As far as "USPS offers tracking on all packages", that is not the case. USPS does not automatically provide tracking. Details for that can be found on the USPS website for that. Besides, if that were the case, PAX support wouldn't be sending automated emails out to everyone saying that no tracking is available via USPS.

• DjnarduDjnardu Registered User regular
    I still haven't received my three day badges and I'm getting a little nervous lol

Ok, this thread is not about the practices of USPS, nor are we continuing the discussion about what they should or shouldn't do.

The topic of this thread is what is *actually* happening, which is that badges are being mailed out in waves. If you do not receive your badge by the 16th, you must send emails to pax_questions@paxsite.com and registration@paxsite.com explaining your situation, and get instructions from them.

• elleecstaticelleecstatic Registered User regular
    this is probably a stupid question, but I bought 2 3 day passes off of StubHub (180 for both passes, which isnt that bad) and i got them pretty early on. How can I verify they're both legit? Can I do it at the show or something? Although, im like 99.9% sure they're fine, but that 1% is totally nagging me.

This is why con tickets on stubhub is SUCH a no-no for me..ugh never again -.-'

Go to the info booth at the front of the BCEC at PAX, the enforcers there will verify your badges.

Also what do you mean by pretty early on? Like early last week?

Oh okay thanks!
    I think so? like the 8th? is that bad? .___.

• ifra88ifra88 CanadaRegistered User regular
    ifra88 wrote: »
    Finally got my Saturday pass today. FedEx shipped mine to someone else's house -_- I was freaking out for a whole day!!! How could they leave a package on someone's door step!? With no signature required!!!! How fails is that.

Have you never ordered anything online before?

I have ordered stuff online before but NOTHING has ever gotten lost along the way. Maybe my lucky streak is over?

this is probably a stupid question, but I bought 2 3 day passes off of StubHub (180 for both passes, which isnt that bad) and i got them pretty early on. How can I verify they're both legit? Can I do it at the show or something? Although, im like 99.9% sure they're fine, but that 1% is totally nagging me.

This is why con tickets on stubhub is SUCH a no-no for me..ugh never again -.-'

Go to the info booth at the front of the BCEC at PAX, the enforcers there will verify your badges.

Also what do you mean by pretty early on? Like early last week?

Oh okay thanks!
    I think so? like the 8th? is that bad? .___.

No, that sounds fine. I was worried that you got a badge before they started shipping ;)

Finally got my Saturday pass today. FedEx shipped mine to someone else's house -_- I was freaking out for a whole day!!! How could they leave a package on someone's door step!? With no signature required!!!! How fails is that.

I have ordered stuff online before but NOTHING has ever gotten lost along the way. Maybe my lucky streak is over?

I think they just mean the part about things getting left on a door step with no sig required. That's pretty much standard procedure for Amazon, and many other online retailers, as far as their shipping options go.

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I work for a fairly large company and I have found that it can be a no win situation. When you make packages signature required, people complain. When you do not make it sig required, people complain. Lol.

• ifra88ifra88 CanadaRegistered User regular

I think they just mean the part about things getting left on a door step with no sig required. That's pretty much standard procedure for Amazon, and many other online retailers, as far as their shipping options go.

Most of the packages I get from amazon are usually "no signature requried" but the Canada Post truck always drops them off and they knock on the door or ring on the door bell before they take off.....but I guess my parents wouldn't have heard the door bell or knocking if FedEx didn't deliver my pass to the right house in the first place.....

I'm just glad I got my pass in the end and now i'm all set to go! Since this will be our (my boyfriend and I) first PAX event I'm super excited.

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    One of my friends just now realized that his mailing address is wrong so he's never going to get the badge. He's sent an email about it, but... what do they typically do in situations like that? Give him one at the con?

Two other friends don't have theirs yet either, but at least their address is (probably) right.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
    The procedure is exactly what we've posted a whole bunch of times. If you do not have your badge by the end of the day on the 16th, email pax_questions@paxsite.com and registration@paxsite.com and tell them exactly what the situation is. They will give instructions. Do not just show up and expect to get a badge.

The procedure is exactly what we've posted a whole bunch of times. If you do not have your badge by the end of the day on the 16th, email pax_questions@paxsite.com and registration@paxsite.com and tell them exactly what the situation is. They will give instructions. Do not just show up and expect to get a badge.

Err... if you're responding to me, I already said he emailed them. My question was curiosity about how the convention typically deals with people whose badges did not arrive/were lost, i.e. do they make extras, are there "standby" passes, and so forth.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    They do not bring passes that they do not need. Hence why sending the email is so very important.

They do not bring passes that they do not need. Hence why sending the email is so very important.

Right, right. I'm just curious if their standard practice is something along the lines of "sell 50000, make 60000 in case of accidents, bring spares for people who forget to change their damn address" or if you get "ofishul packs badj" written on a piece of paper.

Yeah, I understand what you're asking, and I'm giving you the information I have. There is only so much space available at PAX. They sell badges to fill this space, likely largely based on fire codes. There is a hard limit on how many badges can exist at a given time. This leads me to believe that they do not have many spares, and thus need people to tell them if something is going wrong or if there's an accident. I am sure they probably print more than they need, but they do not necessarily bring all of those to PAX. They most likely only bring passes to handle the issues that they know about, maybe give or take some percentage.

Yeah, I understand what you're asking, and I'm giving you the information I have. There is only so much space available at PAX. They sell badges to fill this space, likely largely based on fire codes. There is a hard limit on how many badges can exist at a given time. This leads me to believe that they do not have many spares, and thus need people to tell them if something is going wrong or if there's an accident. I am sure they probably print more than they need, but they do not necessarily bring all of those to PAX. They most likely only bring passes to handle the issues that they know about, maybe give or take some percentage.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for the info!

• SnazzyGentSnazzyGent Registered User regular
    Haven't received my three-day badges yet. I'm starting to get the full-on worries. Hopefully I'll hear back from pax_questions@paxsite.com soon.

• DjnarduDjnardu Registered User regular
    So I checked my mail today and no badges =( I just sent an email out. How long should I wait to expect a response. I leave for Boston in two days.

• sterbacblusterbacblu Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    No badge here either. Hoping to get an email response soon as well. Really wish UPS shipping was an option, but next time I will choose FedEx shipping. Still better than USPS! Either way I'm pumped for next week, but I'll be more pumped once I'm out of panic mode!

You should also email registration@paxsite.com

Plan to bring your photo ID and confirmation number/barcode with you to PAX.

Also, you will probably get a response on Monday. I don't think those folks work weekends on non-con days (though I could be wrong).

• sterbacblusterbacblu Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Also, you will probably get a response on Monday. I don't think those folks work weekends on non-con days (though I could be wrong).

Had a feeling that would be the case. As for the ID and confirmation email, I'm pretty sure I can fit them in my bag. Thanks for the assistance!

My derpy friend turned out to be an extremely lucky derpy friend, as the post office returned his badge when they couldn't forward it. Now he gets the exact same badge, just at will-call rather than in the mail. I don't know how he managed to give them his old address in the first place. He moved a year ago. *facepalm*

• sstemosstemo Registered User new member
    I also haven't received my badges. I sent emails on friday with no response yet. I'm nervous because it is my first pax and i'm worried that I somehow wont get them. Do I need to show them a confirmation email for proof that I bought them? This is the kicker- I can't find the email. I thought i saved it, but I apparently deleted it. Is this a problem? I'm freaking out a little bit, is it warranted?

@sstemo you should be able to log back in to the registration site and get your confirmation re-sent.

Yes you will have to have your confirmation and a photo ID. You probably won't get an email response on the weekend since the office is likely closed.

• LanndenLannden Registered User new member
    I'm sorry if this the wrong place to post this but I am pretty worried.

Due to a mail mix up at my school my party never received our passes. I ordered them in November, all of our other friends have gotten theirs by now, I am starting to lose hope that we will get ours. I tried contacting the post office but they said I would have to fill out a form and wait 3 weeks, with the event being this weekend that is not really an option.

I emailed the pax questions email a week ago and still have not heard back from them so I thought this would be the faster route. Is there anything we can do to still get our passes or are we just SOL on all that money?

Thank you

• FookFook Registered User new member
    I have the same issue... I sent out emails to the appropriate area's last week as well, and no response. Any confirmation about this? I would not be too worried, as long as you have your receipt for the badges that you purchased. It's weird because I got my BYOC badge, but not my 3-day badge. If worst comes to worst, I am just going to bring in my paper receipt for the badges.

I do however want my official badge sooner or later, whether picking it up at PAX or it being sent overnight.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    To be honest, officially, the stance is you email and wait.

However, unofficially, I think the smart thing to do is be prepared to have a copy of your receipt printed out (when you purchased the tickets), printed emails showing you tried to email registration@paxsite.com or pax_questions@paxsite.com, and your photo identification. Come PAX Thursday (or during show hours), and you still don't have tickets, I would go to Will-Call/Registration with this information in hand. I can't guarantee this will work, because, I honestly have no idea what their process/workflow is going to be, but I think rationally, this makes the most sense.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26144092/#Comment_26144092

I'd take the advice from the other post and bring id, printouts of the order email and your email to pax questions if you don't get a response by then.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • FookFook Registered User new member
    I will have a proper form of identification ready, along with my receipt, and the credit card that I used for the transaction, even proof of the transaction page from the credit cards website. I do however, expect this to be done in a timely fashion, so that I will have no issues setting up my BYOC slot and fulfilling my schedule as planned. It's one thing to have on the spot, un-expected delays, but something like this is inexcusable on the organizer's part.

All I am saying, is if I pay $105 for something, I expect to get it, without any issues/delays. If issues/delays are encountered, then I will be greatly disappointed and will pursue this further so that something like this does not happen again..

edited March 2013
    You can feel free to do what you like. Nothing we can do for you via these forums other than give you the info we've given.

Edit: There will be a post-pax survey sent to you via email by the organizers, and you should definitely use that to express your dissatisfaction with registration. They read every survey.

zerzhul on
  • gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    Anyone have any luck getting a response about non receipt of badges? I don't have mine yet and haven't heard anything. Seems like this might be a pretty widespread issue?