As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] New thread posted, please use that one.

1929394959698»

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    yes well, i WTB things at 10 or 11 PST :P i may not be a pumpkin, but my wife is yelling at me that i'm staying up too late by then D:

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    to be frank the fights are TOO short when a lot of people are doing them. They could stand to be twice as long. The maw could stand to be about 6 times as long at least.

And they need more interesting mechanics to them on top of that.

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    to be frank the fights are TOO short when a lot of people are doing them. They could stand to be twice as long. The maw could stand to be about 6 times as long at least.

And they need more interesting mechanics to them on top of that.

There are mechanics? I just stand there and range attack. I've never noticed anything resembling tactics except for the big ice dragon.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    They also increased Hydra Queen and all Orr Temple Chests. People do the Dragons and Starter areas so much because they are stupid easy and have pretty accurate timers on them already. More need to be like the Grenth and Lyssa or Golem Mark 2. Those are actually rather fun.
    Jormag needs to take less damage when not stunned and maybe just do a big get off me AoE on that one side cliff area.
    Shatterer needs to do his AoE in a wider area
    Teq needs to take less damage from players attacking and more from the Siege weaponry.

The starter area fights just need to scale better for the most part. Especially the Jungle Worm.

The last fucking thing those sub-tank'n'spank piles of uninteresting mechanics (oh wow, I got knocked back a bit, that sure is mildly annoying) need is more damage reduction to make the fights longer.

What? The Starter area events all last about 10 seconds, not exactly a case of the fight taking too long. And Dragon Mechanics? No one cares about the mechanics when they can just stand in one spot and attack a Foot for 10 minutes.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Even if they did make interesting mechanics, the amount of people at some of these events lags everyone quite a bit and due to culling or whatever other reasons can make it difficult to perform correctly or timely.

If they decided to make instances or something, I think that would be a much different story.

I've not really played many MMORPGs other than this for a while, to the folks who aren't a fan of the typical boss fight in GW2, what constitutes a good, mechanical/strategy driven boss fight that works with upwards of 50-100 people?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    hey guys

arenanet is ging to buff the worthless weakling weapons on all classes to be better

you know like they were going to do since launch so expect those fixes anytime in the next six months

oh and warriors get buffs to their banners and more ways to remove conditions, expect that in the next patch

Ardor wrote: »
    Even if they did make interesting mechanics, the amount of people at some of these events lags everyone quite a bit and due to culling or whatever other reasons can make it difficult to perform correctly or timely.

If they decided to make instances or something, I think that would be a much different story.

I've not really played many MMORPGs other than this for a while, to the folks who aren't a fan of the typical boss fight in GW2, what constitutes a good, mechanical/strategy driven boss fight that works with upwards of 50-100 people?

Most of the bosses need a chargeup mechanic (an animation that lasts 5-10 seconds by itself) that means GTFAWAY NOW. And just instadown everything near it when it finishes. They also need failure conditions. The tequeal boss could be made interesting if you couldnt stand near it very long due to posion effects and had to take it down with the turrets. Make it so you need your melee guys constantly downing his walls he puts up and people defending the turrets from the risen. (make the walls reflect projectiles) The big laser cannon should stun him and allow people close to dps, but that should last 20 seconds at most. Then you need to tune the hp of the boss so it doesnt take forever (or up the turrets damage significantly). Maybe some kind of mechanic to actually charge the laser like running crystals from the lab to the laser itself.

I would like the dragon bosses to actually fly a bit too, swoop down and down everything in an area before they land.

Right now everyone just runs up to his foot and dps's the thing down ignoring all the other pieces of the fight.

The mechanics should focus on spreading players out, as when they pack really tightly it just is a lagfest.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Ugh, no instadown mechanics. That just punishes anybody suffering from lag. The rest of that isn't bad, though... it's more along the lines of how I thought the fights might go when they were being described pre-launch.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    I want them because I want the dragons to actually feel like more than spunges. These are dragons, they should have fu kill you moves. They should have sufficient wind up that even the laggiest of computers knows to get out of it before it goes off.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Feldorn 10 PM PST would be really difficult because you'd basically be the only timezone awake at that stage on a weeknight, apart from scattered insomniacs in the preceding timezones, which means there simply wouldn't be enough people around to do a bounty in the first place.

FTR I approve of the schedule because I am generally available for Saturday bounties, just not this week because my Saturday is booked to the fucking brim this weekend.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    alternately, @Kylindra @Feldorn

what you can do is shift the Friday bonus run to 10 PM server time - the Wednesday one should stay at its current time because you'll capture more people, but with Friday being right up against the weekend your numbers will be bolstered by the Aussies and by the fact that people just stay up later on Friday

goddammit you guys I was hoping for this discussion to happen on the Tumblr but noooooooo ah well I will just keep trying to maintain the schedule for ease of reference

Vivixenne on
    also any feedback would be useful re the guild blog + layout, particularly the links in the header

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    I'd rather they use the game's existing fight mechanics a bit better. Uh oh, the dragon's breath is a giant poison/ice/purple fire cloud! Now the whole battle zone is covered in poison/a giant snowstorm/purple crystal fire. Dodge once to stop yourself from going down/getting frozen, twice if you're low on health/have a high debuff stack!

Wait a sec, the dragon's taking flight! And look, he's not coming down again after 20 seconds to let everyone wail on him again! Better defend those cannons the NPCs are manning - wait, the dragon's actually attacking the cannons himself! The cannon NPCs are all dead! Quick players, man those cannons and aim for the dragon! Just watch your health since he's still breathing death on you and all.

Phew, knocked the dragon out of the OH SHIT HE'S FALLING ON THE CANNONS EVACUATE THE CANNONS

All right, the dragon's grounded again and CASTING SPELLS FUCK THERE'S 5 OF HIM NOW AND 2 OF THEM ARE GIANT TORNADOES

Seems like there's more they can do to keep players on their toes. Doesn't need to be instakill, just needs to be something that keeps players on the move. Maybe something we'll see with future dragons, yes?

• Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    I do agree that the fights do need to be mixed up a bit, but ultimately, the lag and culling make it so you can't really do anything that requires precise timing or awareness of your compatriots. Game engine permitting, I'd like the climatic events to spread out over a greater portion of the map, so that lag and framerate drops don't become as big of an issue, and other players don't feel like redshirt NPCs. Making them possible to fail would also be nice, as right now, the majority of the players can run up to a dragon's foot, hit it a few times, die, get a drink, and come back ressed and in front of a chest.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Meant to post this earlier. You can hunt dragons in overflow now, assuming that other chest events are the same as well. This might've been ingame for awhile but it's new to me!

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    also any feedback would be useful re the guild blog + layout, particularly the links in the header

@Vivixenne, can you make the Guild-specific stuff more prominent? The guides are nice and all, but if we're gonna do guild business on the tumblr it should get top billing I think. So Teamspeak info, Guild Mission stuff, etc., should all come first.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, please close the thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.