As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassins Ball at PAX East 2013! Feedback Requested!

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Awesome.

Also, suggestion for next time: mention on the box that there are strong magnets within. I had my phone sitting on a small package with 5 buttons with apparently rare earth magnets!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    I'm getting lots of messages from players whose kits were shipped on Monday that arrived Wednesday, most on the east coast or in the midwest. Half of the 50 single premium were shipped Tuesday and the other half went out Wednesday so depending on where you are you it could arrive today through Monday.

In the event you don't get it in time there are a supply of replacement kits for this purpose, just let me know you didn't get it before you left and I'll let you know where I am Thursday or Friday so you can get a replacement.

I totally got mine in the mail today. Great packaging! The outside envelope was open but the inside was still sealed. A+ Seller, would do business with again!

And for us Second Lifers, I think there should be some rules for that. . .don't want any spawn killing going on. ;D

• Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    These kits are slick. Very, very well done, MC. I only wish it hadn't been so powerful glued, so I didn't rip the red-lined envelope getting it open. Also, as I mentioned to you already, it would be nice to have had the envelopes identified by faction on the outside, so that I would know which of the two (in my case) was mine and which I should keep secret as my friend's.

I'm still unclear on a few things. I know the rules are nigh, but I bring it up so you can make sure the rules are clear on the topic.

Intel
    The card says to record your own Intel code, which means everyone gets an easy 10 points to start. When "gathering intel" it says "trade this card with the other player and register theirs". Is that "trade, record and give back" or "trade and keep"? Which card do I walk away with, for use in future intel gathering?

Second Life
    If we are given a bioregenerating nanonic (nice touch, btw), we respawn with the same badge. So, one life will be someone's primary target and the other can only be a secondary, correct?

Targets
    I'm curious how you generated the targets. Are we each guaranteed a trifecta (symbol, color and faction)? Are any trifectas initially hidden as someone's second life? I'm sure it factors into some player's strategies whether to seek out the MVK or amass a higher body count.

• Options
    MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    I'm getting lots of messages from players whose kits were shipped on Monday that arrived Wednesday, most on the east coast or in the midwest. Half of the 50 single premium were shipped Tuesday and the other half went out Wednesday so depending on where you are you it could arrive today through Monday.

In the event you don't get it in time there are a supply of replacement kits for this purpose, just let me know you didn't get it before you left and I'll let you know where I am Thursday or Friday so you can get a replacement.

I totally got mine in the mail today. Great packaging! The outside envelope was open but the inside was still sealed. A+ Seller, would do business with again!

And for us Second Lifers, I think there should be some rules for that. . .don't want any spawn killing going on. ;D
    Great and thanks! I did run into some issues with the shipping envelope flaps not sticking, glad it was not a problem for you. I'm going to be going over everything about the game in the rules, including Second Lives. :)
    N13 wrote: »
    These kits are slick. Very, very well done, MC. I only wish it hadn't been so powerful glued, so I didn't rip the red-lined envelope getting it open. Also, as I mentioned to you already, it would be nice to have had the envelopes identified by faction on the outside, so that I would know which of the two (in my case) was mine and which I should keep secret as my friend's.

I'm still unclear on a few things. I know the rules are nigh, but I bring it up so you can make sure the rules are clear on the topic.

Intel
    The card says to record your own Intel code, which means everyone gets an easy 10 points to start. When "gathering intel" it says "trade this card with the other player and register theirs". Is that "trade, record and give back" or "trade and keep"? Which card do I walk away with, for use in future intel gathering?

Second Life
    If we are given a bioregenerating nanonic (nice touch, btw), we respawn with the same badge. So, one life will be someone's primary target and the other can only be a secondary, correct?

Targets
    I'm curious how you generated the targets. Are we each guaranteed a trifecta (symbol, color and faction)? Are any trifectas initially hidden as someone's second life? I'm sure it factors into some player's strategies whether to seek out the MVK or amass a higher body count.
    Thanks, I had a lot of fun sourcing everything and trying to make it an experience to open. The adhesive on the envelopes is pretty strong and I think I may go with faction labels to hold the envelopes closed next time around.

Intel
    Yep, you can record your own intel for a quick 10 points. This is primarily because I don't keep a record of what intel card you start with. The idea is to trade cards permanently but you could trade back as long as you record the code. There are different symbols on the cards and I tried to make each one tell a story so you may want to try to look for all of them.

Second Life
    Not sure I follow this question so let me know if this answers it. Your badge does stay the same so if someone is looking for you as a primary target that will not change, you'll still be a primary target for them. When you activate your Second Life you'll use the Mission and Assassination card included with it, so whatever targets it specifies will be what you look for.

Targets
    This is a good question I don't think I've answered for this game. There are only 24 unique symbols in this game. These symbols are generated from 6 unique shapes and 4 unique colors. The way the system works is by creating badges in groups of these 24 symbols with missions that also target these symbols. Because players choose their factions the mission factions are evenly distributed among the mission cards regardless of the actual final faction populations. This is also why matching the faction is optional but doubles the score.

What this boils down to is that 1 in 6 players should be a possible target for you (at least a secondary target), 1 in 24 players should be a primary target and the odds for an exact match with a faction is higher than that and based on the faction counts. Right now that means at the beginning of the game 35 players are a possible target for you but that 35 players are also hunting you! Good luck!

• Options
    Intel

Second Life

Targets
    Intel
    Yep, you can record your own intel for a quick 10 points. This is primarily because I don't keep a record of what intel card you start with. The idea is to trade cards permanently but you could trade back as long as you record the code. There are different symbols on the cards and I tried to make each one tell a story so you may want to try to look for all of them.

Second Life
    Not sure I follow this question so let me know if this answers it. Your badge does stay the same so if someone is looking for you as a primary target that will not change, you'll still be a primary target for them. When you activate your Second Life you'll use the Mission and Assassination card included with it, so whatever targets it specifies will be what you look for.

Targets
    This is a good question I don't think I've answered for this game. There are only 24 unique symbols in this game. These symbols are generated from 6 unique shapes and 4 unique colors. The way the system works is by creating badges in groups of these 24 symbols with missions that also target these symbols. Because players choose their factions the mission factions are evenly distributed among the mission cards regardless of the actual final faction populations. This is also why matching the faction is optional but doubles the score.

What this boils down to is that 1 in 6 players should be a possible target for you (at least a secondary target), 1 in 24 players should be a primary target and the odds for an exact match with a faction is higher than that and based on the faction counts. Right now that means at the beginning of the game 35 players are a possible target for you but that 35 players are also hunting you! Good luck!
    Bear with me. I'm as curious about the system as I am interested in the game. I appreciate your patience.

Intel
    A given Intel can only be recorded once per player, right? If we trade permanently or haphazardly, then it's possible that one or both players gets no new Intel.

For example, A(a) and B(b) meet, exchange and leave as A(b) and B(a), then A(b) and C(c) trade to A(c) and C(b), then B(a) and C(b) meet. In the last meeting, B has already recorded his own code, which C is now carrying. C however, gets to record the new Intel for A.

The only way for a player to know that he will always get new Intel from a non-encountered player is if we all keep our original Intel card.

Second Life and Targets
    I think you're saying more than one Assassin (currently 8 or 9 at the start) has the same primary target. Assuming a decent distribution, that means that (1) both lives are someone's primary target and (2) no one's initial primary target will be a hidden, second life.

You didn't address if there is a guaranteed trifecta for each player. At least at the start of the game, if there are 210 players/24 unique symbols, each player has 8 or 9 primary target matches (symbol and color). Since the factions are printed on the assignments (instead of stickers), I assume those must have been generated without concern to player faction choice. If the faction stickers were applied to the target badges randomly, it's possible--maybe even likely--that not all factions are represented for a given primary target. This means there may be no trifectas possible for some, but multiple trifectas for others.

All this, of course, only applies at the onset. It doesn't preclude your only possible trifecta target being taken out already by someone as their primary, trifecta or not.

• Options
    Intel

Second Life

Targets
    Intel

Second Life

Targets

Bear with me. I'm as curious about the system as I am interested in the game. I appreciate your patience.

Intel
    A given Intel can only be recorded once per player, right? If we trade permanently or haphazardly, then it's possible that one or both players gets no new Intel.

For example, A(a) and B(b) meet, exchange and leave as A(b) and B(a), then A(b) and C(c) trade to A(c) and C(b), then B(a) and C(b) meet. In the last meeting, B has already recorded his own code, which C is now carrying. C however, gets to record the new Intel for A.

The only way for a player to know that he will always get new Intel from a non-encountered player is if we all keep our original Intel card.
    Yes, each intel code can only be registered once per player. The example you provide could very easily occur but I don't feel that's an issue that needs to be resolved in the rules. To be consistent with the intel cards the rules will mention trading but this could be taken as trading permanently or trading, registering, and trading back as you suggest.
    Second Life and Targets
    I think you're saying more than one Assassin (currently 8 or 9 at the start) has the same primary target. Assuming a decent distribution, that means that (1) both lives are someone's primary target and (2) no one's initial primary target will be a hidden, second life.
    There are multiple people who start the game with the same primary target and there are also multiple people who match that primary target. (1) It's likely, not certain, that there will always be someone for who you are a primary target, and there will be a primary target for your current mission. (2) Correct. Second lives are a respawn, nothing more.
    You didn't address if there is a guaranteed trifecta for each player. At least at the start of the game, if there are 210 players/24 unique symbols, each player has 8 or 9 primary target matches (symbol and color). Since the factions are printed on the assignments (instead of stickers), I assume those must have been generated without concern to player faction choice. If the faction stickers were applied to the target badges randomly, it's possible--maybe even likely--that not all factions are represented for a given primary target. This means there may be no trifectas possible for some, but multiple trifectas for others.

All this, of course, only applies at the onset. It doesn't preclude your only possible trifecta target being taken out already by someone as their primary, trifecta or not.
    I can't guarantee that there will be a player starting with primary target and faction but it's extremely likely there will be. I can guarantee that there will be a target (meaning Primary or Secondary) with a matching faction at the game start.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    At what point do the questions become badgering? I get that there's a desire to understand every nuance, but at the end of the day, find a target, kill the target, log it, move on.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Eh, people want to understand the game, no reason to not ask questions.

• Options
    wrccitroenwrccitroen New EnglandRegistered User regular
    My kits were hanging out in my P.O Box today! :D I hope this doesn't come off as silly, but will the rules (& clarifications) get posted or should we just scour the thread & pick up the info here & there?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    wrccitroen wrote: »
    My kits were hanging out in my P.O Box today! :D I hope this doesn't come off as silly, but will the rules (& clarifications) get posted or should we just scour the thread & pick up the info here & there?
    Great! I'm working on the rules document right now, my plan is to have them up sometime tonight. I'll post on here and other social sites when they are ready.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    After reading the bits on the cards (assuming all core rules are on there), the rule set is actually a lot simpler than I though. At least, the way it's condensed on the card makes it seem simpler.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    OMG!! I just opened the kits & it's amazing! From the way the colors pop to the faction pin :) I'm diggin' the "blood" on the paper holder!! MC, my's hat's off to you...nice work bro you're a talented artist!! However, my buddy & I are in the same faction & there is a blue pin & a yellow pin...I thought there were only blue (For the gents?) & pink (For the ladies?)...

wrccitroen on
  • Options
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    After reading the bits on the cards (assuming all core rules are on there), the rule set is actually a lot simpler than I though. At least, the way it's condensed on the card makes it seem simpler.
    The game is pretty simple, there are just lots of edge cases. I tried to make sure any core mechanics were included on the cards so players without immediate access to the rules would have some reference of what to do.
    OMG!! I just opened the kits & it's amazing! From the way the colors pop to the faction pin :) I'm diggin' the "blood" on the paper holder!! MC, my's hat's off to you...nice work bro you're a talented artist!! However, my buddy & I are in the same faction & there is a blue pin & a yellow pin...I thought there were only blue (For the gents?) & pink (For the ladies?)...
    Thanks! I had a lot of fun designing everything and I'm looking forward to using what I learned for future games. Factions don't have any bearing on the symbol, color or gender you receive. There are actually four colors used on the game; Blue, Pink, Yellow, and Orange.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I've very interested in hearing ideas from others regarding how they plan on keeping their cards organized, safe, and not lost. The big card the buttons came attached to was a bit too bulky, and mine actually got destroyed trying to get the secondary button off.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    I've very interested in hearing ideas from others regarding how they plan on keeping their cards organized, safe, and not lost. The big card the buttons came attached to was a bit too bulky, and mine actually got destroyed trying to get the secondary button off.

i actually really like the card it all came on, with separate slots for everything. i plan on tucking the whole thing into its own little zip pocket inside the bag i'll be carrying.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Rules are up and can be found here. Going to be looking over them tomorrow when I'm less tired before sending out the word but let me know what you think!
    tvethiopia wrote: »

i actually really like the card it all came on, with separate slots for everything. i plan on tucking the whole thing into its own little zip pocket inside the bag i'll be carrying.
    That card is actually supposed to handle the role of keeping things organized, I'm sorry it was damaged @dyaballikl. If I have any extra at PAX I can give you one if you'd like.

• Options
    The kit is excellent - thank you Phillip! Everything looks top-quality and i can't wait to see people's reactions when they see this game in action.

If you're taking recommendations for next year, I have one: List the safe zones on a small sticker on the back of the main button, or on the mission card. In the heat of the moment, that's the one thing I always had trouble remembering last year. As it is, I'll just print them out on a small card and have it with me.

Again, awesome job. Love it, can't wait for Friday! Time to get my loot bag together.

• Options
    While reading the rules, in the section that explains how presitge points are given for a kill (page 4) you cannot see the faction on the mission card (I believe it should be Kingsport Raiders, based on the description of points in the picture captions).

• Options
    vttym wrote: »
    The kit is excellent - thank you Phillip! Everything looks top-quality and i can't wait to see people's reactions when they see this game in action.

If you're taking recommendations for next year, I have one: List the safe zones on a small sticker on the back of the main button, or on the mission card. In the heat of the moment, that's the one thing I always had trouble remembering last year. As it is, I'll just print them out on a small card and have it with me.

Again, awesome job. Love it, can't wait for Friday! Time to get my loot bag together.
    Thanks! I'll see if I can fit that somewhere for the next game.
    While reading the rules, in the section that explains how presitge points are given for a kill (page 4) you cannot see the faction on the mission card (I believe it should be Kingsport Raiders, based on the description of points in the picture captions).
    Odd, it's visible when I view it, though it is dark. I've just updated the PDF with a few changes, let me know if the issue persists.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Just got my kit. (well, technically got it yesterday but didn't check mail until this morning) Very well done! PAX East hasn't even begun and I'm already excited to play this at Prime, lol. Here's hoping I can survive at least a day!

Time to read up on the rules.
    I've very interested in hearing ideas from others regarding how they plan on keeping their cards organized, safe, and not lost.
    Someone mentioned those quarterback wrist playbook thingies earlier in the thread. Either that or a neck wallet (from Tactical Tailor) with internal pockets for holding extra stuff.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Got my kit in the mail last night! : D I have it right underneath my PAX badge in a safe spot, now. Love the decoration on the card with our info, by the way, as well as the red inside the envelope. It felt very traditional and got me all the more excited.

embraceternity on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zeromyst wrote: »
    Just got my kit. (well, technically got it yesterday but didn't check mail until this morning) Very well done! PAX East hasn't even begun and I'm already excited to play this at Prime, lol. Here's hoping I can survive at least a day!
    Got my kit in the mail last night! : D I have it right underneath my PAX badge in a safe spot, now. Love the decoration on the card with our info, by the way, as well as the red inside the envelope. It felt very traditional and got me all the more excited.
    Great! I'm so stoked about the excitement from everyone!

I wanted to mention that the rules now clarify how to wear your badge. Your button should be worn on the left side of your chest above your heart.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    Under "Second Life Kits", the rules state both "Using a Second Life creates a second score for you on the games leaderboard that will not include any kills made prior to the Second Life." and "Your second score will include any prestige you’ve received up to that point." I think the second is simply missing a "not", but at the moment, they're contradictory.

The site still identifies as "PAX Prime 2012".

You mentioned a time-sensitivity element to Intel. Is that in effect?

A suggestion for next time: give us some "calling cards" to distribute. I anticipate a lot of "What are you playing and how can I join?" questions, especially for witnesses... unless we're not supposed to leave any witnesses. :)

Also, whether you planned it or not, my PAXmate is one of my primary targets. I wonder if I should just kill him in his sleep and get it over with...

• Options
    EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    @N13 i had the same thing last year i was a perfect kill for my second kit

• Options

Loot bag, what's that all about? Cause it wasn't mentioned in the rules PDF...what else will be going on that wasn't included in the PDF?

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular

Loot bag, what's that all about? Cause it wasn't mentioned in the rules PDF...what else will be going on that wasn't included in the PDF?

Loot bag is something that some people do. They reward with a prize their assassin for the successful assassination. It isn't in the rules because it is not a rule.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    Are there any other unofficial things people do when playing A.B?

• Options
    ViciousEin02ViciousEin02 NYRegistered User regular
    Just got my package in the Mail as of Saturday. Everything looks amazing. Me and my buddy cant wait for this to happen. let the count down begin

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015
    Pax East 2012 & 2013 Attendee

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Are there any other unofficial things people do when playing A.B?

similar to loot drops, some people do signature kills and give some small token to those they assassinate. this is generally something significantly smaller/cheaper than loot since generally/ideally you will kill multiple others but only be killed yourself once (twice max).

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Under "Second Life Kits", the rules state both "Using a Second Life creates a second score for you on the games leaderboard that will not include any kills made prior to the Second Life." and "Your second score will include any prestige you’ve received up to that point." I think the second is simply missing a "not", but at the moment, they're contradictory.

The site still identifies as "PAX Prime 2012".
    Updated now. It should have said "Your second score will include any Intel prestige you’ve received up to that point.". I assume you're talking about registering kills and the leaderboards. Those pages will rollover to the PAX East game when it starts.
    You mentioned a time-sensitivity element to Intel. Is that in effect?
    No. Anything like that will be detailed in the rules.
    Just got my package in the Mail as of Saturday. Everything looks amazing. Me and my buddy cant wait for this to happen. let the count down begin
    Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This might seem like a weird question, but how does one exactly do a signature kill in this game? Is it like a method as to how they assassinate other players, is it something they say with every person they assassinate, or is it just the loot...?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    This might seem like a weird question, but how does one exactly do a signature kill in this game? Is it like a method as to how they assassinate other players, is it something they say with every person they assassinate, or is it just the loot...?
    The idea is to leave something unique for each person you assassinate, not unlike the Joker leaving a playing card at a crime scene. There's no particular action that needs to be done differently, it's just an idea for giving surprise loot to those you kill.

MarsChelios on
  • Options

I will be giving my victims my PAX East Trading card from last year - a calling card of sorts.

If I had done buttoneering this year, I would have made Victim buttons for my kills. I'll do that next year.

• Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    The idea is to leave something unique for each person you assassinate, not unlike the Joker leaving a playing card at a crime scene. There's no particular action that needs to be done differently, it's just an idea for giving surprise loot to those you kill.

I love this idea. I have a bunch of extra space invader tokens from IndieCade East this year that I'll bring with me to give to my victims.

• Options
    Just blasted out the information email to all players who purchased kits. If you didn't receive it let me know through PM and the email to send to and I'll resend it.

• Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    It hit my GMail spam folder instead of my inbox, but I found it ;)

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    RenDuHRenDuH Supreme Being ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhh, I'm so excited for this! Had no idea it existed at PAX last year, and it sounds to me like more people will be playing than last year. I'm super psyched!

RenDuH

Please visit my photography blog:
    http://renaeduhaime.wordpress.com

Thank you! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    RenDuH wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, I'm so excited for this! Had no idea it existed at PAX last year, and it sounds to me like more people will be playing than last year. I'm super psyched!
    Me as well!

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    I seem to get a "the game is not currently running" message when I try to register intel. Anyone else?

• Options
    The MattadorThe Mattador Registered User regular
    Jerkfish wrote: »
    I seem to get a "the game is not currently running" message when I try to register intel. Anyone else?
    Same here