As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling Concert Tickets I Won

dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I won concert tickets from a local radio station. I entered the contest with the assumption that the concert was going to be held on a weekend day. However, between the time that the concert (and contest) were announced, the show got rescheduled to a Monday, which is a day I cannot do. My only friend who also likes the band is also unable to attend, so I can't give the tickets to him.

I don't want the tickets to go to waste (the station wouldn't let me return them, for whatever reason), so I would like to sell them, if at all possible. However, the concert takes place in Illinois, which is one of the states that's weird about reselling tickets. The law on the issue is really confusing, and I'm not clear if it's in effect to just target mass ticket brokers or everyone under the sun. I live in Missouri, so I'm not sure if I sold them on StubHub or whatever, if Illinois' laws were applicable or if it was Missouri's (which has a *shrug* stance on reselling tickets).

Complicating matters further is that the face value on the actual tickets is "Comp". Not $0.00, but Comp. Since most of the laws pertain to face value of the ticket, it makes the situation wierder. Tickets to the show in question are still on sale from the venue for $15 (all seats are General Admission), but there are listings on StubHub in the $40-$60 range being sold by other people.

I don't really care how much they would sell for; even if I got the standard price + the 15% to cover the StubHub fees is better than nothing. I'm not crazy enough to think they'll fetch $60 per ticket.

TL;DR: I won concert tickets that I can't use. Should I try to sell them on StubHub and face potential deadly Illinois Justice, or try a cattle call on Facebook to give them away?

steam_sig.png
dresdenphile on

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You should check the actual contest rules/etc. Down here in NC, you cannot trade/sell/exchange tickets at all.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    My vote would be just offer them up for 'a donation to charity' to friends, family, social media. Make the donation, good karma.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    If you are in a state where ticket sales are legal you may do whatever you want to with the tickets.
    But in my experience selling tickets is always more trouble than it’s worth unless the tickets were for an expensive show. Just give the tickets away.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    craigslist them for original face value (~$15). I don't believe you can get in trouble for selling at face.

Karma wise, a fun thing might be to go near the start of doors and ask if anyone needs tickets, then if they seem cool, just give them away. I did that a few times with comp tickets and it's great for all parties involved.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I've always just sold unused tickets on craigslist for the price of admission if you bought the same ticket at the door of the event. Less if I really just want to get rid of them.

If you're really nervous about getting in trouble and just want the tickets to get used, put them on craigslist for free.

• Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    Every state has anti scalping laws and none of them enforce them, if they did Stubhub and Ticketmaster would have been shut down long ago. Do whatever you want, you'll be fine.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If it against the law in his state we cannot advise him that it's okay. This is your only warning about that. @gamerman1227

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    If it against the law in his state we cannot advise him that it's okay. This is your only warning about that. @gamerman1227

I would never advocate breaking the law, my apologies if it seemed that way. Reselling tickets is not illegal in Missouri

http://seatgeek.com/blog/ticket-industry/ticket-resale-laws

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    No idea as far as legal junk goes, but I've used stubhub in the past to get rid of tickets to shows I ended up not being able to make, and haven't had any issue with them.

Also, googlin' "stubhub illinois" comes up with a bunch of listings, so, you know, there's that.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu