As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Are we going to set up a bracket?

Someone is welcome to, I'm lazy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    That's a surprisingly decent draw. We should still be a three.

The West is AWFUL.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    The West is AWFUL.

Awfully fortunate.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    For y'all. If you don't make the Final Four you should be ashamed.

For y'all. If you don't make the Final Four you should be ashamed.

Indeed.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Are we going to set up a bracket?

Someone is welcome to, I'm lazy.

The Yahoo bracket is now up, and I auto re-invited everyone who was in it last year.

This should get you there:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup_assign_team?GID=81091&P=wang

if not the group number is 81091 and the password is wang

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Being a homer at Pick'Em time is totally ok right?

This is Memphis's year!

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Penumbra wrote: »

This is Memphis's year!

I always make three brackets, a homer bracket (Badgers win it all!) and a realistic homer (Badgers in the Elite Eight) and what I actually expect to happen (Badgers lose to KState)

Veevee on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I set the Yahoo bracket to accept 2 brackets per person because Homer brackets are essential to willing your team to greatness.

And then realistic brackets are there to help you save face

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Anyone going to see any of the games live? Looks like I'm going to get Midwest Regionals tickets (Indianapolis) off a friend of my wife who bought them thinking IU would end up in the Midwest.

Looks like it could be a repeat of 2009 I think it was where I got to watch Louisville and Michigan St. in the Elite Eight game at Lucas Oil( Michigan St. went to Final Four). You never saw such a deflated fan base as all the Louisville fans after the game. It was great especially since they were so loud and obnoxious at the Sweet Sixteen game.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I'll probably go next year. The FedEx Forum is a site for the regional round next year, I think. But this year, I don't think there's a close enough site with teams I want to see.

Homer bracket I have the Big Ten going undefeated until they play other Big Ten teams and Michigan beating Sparty for the title, just because that would make me happy.

Except Wisconsin, because fuck Wisconsin. Go Rebels.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Anyone know of a site with fully customizable scoring for March Madness? Or hell, one that lets me edit scores myself would work I guess. I've got what I think is a cool idea for our friends and family league but the best site I can find for custom scoring is Yahoo and it's not quite what I need.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Announcers!

In Auburn Hills, Michigan: Uncle Verne Lundquist (is senile) and Bill Raftery (is AWESOME; ONIONS!)
    In Lexington, Kentucky: Ian Eagle (fine) and Jim Spanarkle (fine to useful)
    In Salt Lake City, Utah: Spero Dedes (fine to good) and Doug Gottlieb (a troll)
    In San Jose, California: Brian Anderson (new?) and Dan Bonner (meh)

Don't have the Friday teams yet.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Anyone know of a site with fully customizable scoring for March Madness? Or hell, one that lets me edit scores myself would work I guess. I've got what I think is a cool idea for our friends and family league but the best site I can find for custom scoring is Yahoo and it's not quite what I need.

Try CBS Sports?
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/brackets/games

I know you can customize the scoring but I'm not sure to what degree.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Try CBS Sports?
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/brackets/games

I know you can customize the scoring but I'm not sure to what degree.

Yeah I checked CBS, Yahoo and ESPN. Yahoo is the closest to what I need. It's complex because I am giving bonus points for upsets but if the difference in the seed and the projected opponent (assuming the tourny went to seed) is only 1, there will be no bonus points awarded.

So a #12 seed making the sweet 16 will receive bonus points for each of their wins even if they play a #13 seed in the second round, while a #5 over the #4 in the second round will not receive any bonus points.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Something like this?

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I set the Yahoo bracket to accept 2 brackets per person because Homer brackets are essential to willing your team to greatness.

And then realistic brackets are there to help you save face

On homer brackets, I feel like it's bad juju to pick against my alma matter if they're a 1 or a 2 seed, so really, all of my brackets are homer brackets to some degree.

Friday announcers:

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Kevin Harlan (Fine), Len Elmore (Dry, but good), Reggie Miller (bad)
    Kansas City, Missouri: Marv Albert (great), Steve Kerr (good, better for ESPN)
    Dayton, Ohio: Jim Nantz (awful, scared of black people), Clark Kellogg (milquetoast)
    Austin Texas: Tim Brando (ugggggggggggh), Mike Gminski (solid)

Dayton, Ohio: Jim Nantz (awful, scared of black people), Clark Kellogg (milquetoast)

So will there be someone sitting between them?

edited March 2013
    Bobble wrote: »

So will there be someone sitting between them?

Probably. It's really only black kids from the inner city he doesn't like. Especially the Fab Five. If you listen to him and Packer calling those games, it's pretty funny/sad.

enlightenedbum on
    Good point. The milquetoast-ness probably also makes it easier.

• OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    Damnit. Without Gus it just doesn't feel like madness.

As long as I can avoid Gotlieb and Brando I'll survive I suppose. I don't hate Reggie the way you do. I guess I just write off a lot of the stuff he says and listen to him basically talk trash.

camo_sig2.png
    We've got senile Uncle Verne for the first two rounds. Which is kind of sad, but we get ONIONS as compensation. As long as they are not displayed beating us.

We've got Verne for the first round too. I'd be more upset, but I'll be flying to Boston and won't have to hear him.

On the other hand, I'm hoping for Pastner and the Tigers to finally get a NCAA win, so I'll be fretting over that the entire flight. #firstworldproblems

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm sooo excited.

With my new job, I can actually watch these games without killing myself or falling asleep.

Also, tOSU gets a pretty easy West draw.

But, I don't get to listen to Gus. Which sucks.

Assuran on
    Nobody gets to listen to Gus, because CBS is the old fogey network, and old fogeys do not enjoy super excitable announcers. Except Raftery, who got grandfathered in.
    And is white.

• SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    The Midwest Region is insane. I am not pleased with the draw for MSU at all. Louisville is damn good, Duke is good, Saint Louis is good, Memphis is pretty good. Even playing Valpo round 1 is not particularly a happy thing.

Duke can be pushed around. I actually like that matchup fairly well for State.

Louisville's press + Keith Appling I do not so much like.

• SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    Duke can be pushed around. I actually like that matchup fairly well for State.

Louisville's press + Keith Appling I do not so much like.

Yeah, I think our bigs match up pretty favorably against Duke.
    I think/hope Saint Louis will beat Louisville, so hopefully we won't have to deal with them.

Also, it's really hard for me to pick against Indiana and Ohio State in their regions.

I'm with you on Indiana/OSU. I've got Michigan and Sparty to the Elite Eight in my real bracket, but they both run into bad matchups (G'town/Louisville).

I think the people who are saying VCU would beat us are silly. This team is best when they can run. An entire game of sprinting up the floor means we'd put up 90. To beat Michigan you bog them down in the half court, make us execute, and exploit the porous interior defense.

To beat Michigan you bog them down in the half court, make us execute, and exploit the porous interior defense.

47888b512dadd3370a975c03bb3334cbfa524dd7.png

:?:
    ONIONS!
    ONIONS

CoH_infantry.jpg
    That would be porous offensive line recruiting. I know it's easy to get confused. :(

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

This is Memphis's year!

The one benefit to being a PSU fan is that I don't have to worry about this!

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

This is Memphis's year!

The one benefit to being a PSU fan is that I don't have to worry about this!

Just wait til next year!*

*Next Year is a registered trademark of the Chicago Cubs organization.

Somehow Iowa got fucked all the way down to a 3 seed in the NIT. Which they will win.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Signed up for the yahoo thing

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    We've got Verne for the first round too. I'd be more upset, but I'll be flying to Boston and won't have to hear him.

On the other hand, I'm hoping for Pastner and the Tigers to finally get a NCAA win, so I'll be fretting over that the entire flight. #firstworldproblems

Pastner might get the win, but will he still get crap for his only win being against a play-in team? The knock on him is that he can't win unless he has overwhelming talent, and im not so sure Middle Tennessee State\Saint Mary's alleviates that.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    From what I recall when we played Memphis last year? Two years ago? Whenever. Is that Beilein kicked his ass quite thoroughly.

This discussion has been closed.