As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm holding off on this one because I haven't yet seen confidence that they haven't gone overboard on their income models. I'd like to see what the box purchase gets me, and how often I'm going to feel compelled to buy access to new content. If it's comparable to a subscription, it's probably almost acceptable (though I hate sub + cash shop), if it's a little over subscription, the presence of that many revenue streams with the addition of the cash shop will just be too many pay walls for me.

What is this I don't even.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, I want to know what the DLC will actually be. I know there's one playable species as a purchase, but that's all I know.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    is a guy streaming. Random dude from twitch.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    I'm firing it up in a few.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Do I need to PM You for a PW or will that private channel thing go away when you start?

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
    edited March 2013
    Oops. Hang on.

edit: there, public channel.

Echo on
    Yay public!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    @echo You have the best splash screen for "not currently streaming" I have ever seen.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    @Echo

What are your system specs and what do you have the graphics set to?

Shit, watching Echo play brings back memories of Auto Assault, which was one of my favorite MMO's ever.

I may be in some trouble here.

It certainly looks good.

The fact that you don't seem to use cover in any way turns me off a bunch, though. Gameplay which is just plink-kiting with backwards dodging forever gets stale fairly quickly.

Yah, no cover is a bummer def. Still looks good enough that I don't regret the pre order.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The fact that you don't seem to use cover in any way turns me off a bunch, though. Gameplay which is just plink-kiting with backwards dodging forever gets stale fairly quickly.

Yeah, it seems to be: "Click on this guy till he dies, then click on that guy".

Watching health bars disappear is only so entertaining before something clever needs to happen. I feel like it's a wasted opportunity, in this age of gaming, to not be using any kind of cover mechanics or more advanced gun play.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that: From a viewer and potential player perspective, I've seen that kind of gun play before and it's not very fun.

Yeah, it seems to be: "Click on this guy till he dies, then click on that guy".

Watching health bars disappear is only so entertaining before something clever needs to happen. I feel like it's a wasted opportunity, in this age of gaming, to not be using any kind of cover mechanics or more advanced gun play.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that: From a viewer and potential player perspective, I've seen that kind of gun play before and it's not very fun.

It was fun in the 90's when it was all we had.

/getoffmylawn

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    On the other side of the fence, here I am happily sacrificing a goat because my back will not be velcroed to inconvenient chest height walls while I am trying to kite things around corners.

How I loathe chest height walls.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    On the other side of the fence, here I am happily sacrificing a goat because my back will not be velcroed to inconvenient chest height walls while I am trying to kite things around corners.

How I loathe chest height walls.

I agree, but you can make cover useful without the shitty modern "cover systems". However, this game doesn't seem to require any kind of tactics at all.

ICUb wrote: »
    @Echo

What are your system specs and what do you have the graphics set to?

Nothing too fancy. GeForce GTX460, Intel i7 2600-something, eight gigs RAM.

Think I had settings on High - it runs really well.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    It doesn't have a cover system, but you can still use it by ducking around. It plays like Borderlands 2(or at least looks like it). So there is still stuff to do, also the tactics are in the types of guns you use with different effects.

I'm busy elsewhere, but this seems like an informative stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/lusts/new

The devs said on their stream that the red Dodge Challenger is faster than the other ones.

But honestly, vehicles are pretty damn fast anyway.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Red makes it go faster!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    The devs said on their stream that the red Dodge Challenger is faster than the other ones.

But honestly, vehicles are pretty damn fast anyway.

Thanks for that link. The time trials look pretty cool, and they mentioned you can keep doing them for the rewards like xp and whatnot.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    As long as I can have a motorcycle, I will be happy.

A motorcycle, not an ATV.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    The devs still haven't specifically mentioned if the EU/NA split means they're different regions with different characters.

But I'm guessing I'll probably play on NA anyway with the PA crowd.

Echo wrote: »
    The devs still haven't specifically mentioned if the EU/NA split means they're different regions with different characters.

But I'm guessing I'll probably play on NA anyway with the PA crowd.

Have they mentioned whether the game is cross platform? I mean, if not... The game is gonna be DEAD on the consoles.

No, AFAIK.

Not that Microsoft would allow play with those filthy PS3 players anyway.

Whelp, gonna be a "He's dead, Jim." situation a month or two out for both PS3 and 360 owners.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The sad part is the only reason why it isn't cross-platform is because of first-party shenanigans. On one of their earlier streams they talked about how they had everything working cross-platform in-house. :(

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    Microsoft and Sony are going to have to quit being dickheads if we're ever going to get any kind of MMO that is also on consoles.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned this is a PC-only title.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

From what I've seen you still can use cover.

You just don't press a button to attach yourself to cover. Having something inbetween you and the enemy will still stop them from putting their bullets in you.

Maddoc wrote: »

From what I've seen you still can use cover.

You just don't press a button to attach yourself to cover. Having something in-between you and the enemy will still stop them from putting their bullets in you.

I think a few of us are a little aggravated at the lack of that mechanic though. There's no reason not to have a functioning cover system, with the ability to right click and pop up to fire (or, heaven forbid, blind fire). Just stepping behind something, and having to strafe out to shoot isn't anything special or innovative. It doesn't have to be genre shattering. But it does have to be something new.

Every time I watch a stream of this I'm just a little confused as to where the complexity comes in. Where's the depth of gun play and the tactical windows? I never see people switching weapons for a purpose. I don't see anything more complex than "I click on your center torso till the red bar vanishes, some times I click on your head."

Am I missing something (I'm open the possibility!)?

Hell, I just watched a few minutes of a stream where a sniper guy was with a group shooting some boss thing in a field. He spent entire minutes sitting in the open quick scoping the same two points on this "boss" creature. Only reason he moved was to: pick up loot, step to the left because a guy summoned a truck in front of him. That just doesn't scream "skill driven" to me.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Play Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and see how often just moving around gets to be a bitch with a cover system.

That wasn't a sniper guy in that stream btw. It was a guy with a sniper rifle. He was using an SMG before that, and switched to the sniper because he was held further away since the creature was so large. He also rolled a lot to dodge out of the way of the boss's shots, then had to re-align to hit the weak spot. I guess if he really wanted to sit behind cover and just not move, they could do that.

The world is also really not designed for waist-high walls. There are walls, building, debris, yes. But theres also huge open fields and mountains to get through. Having to rebalance every encounter and enemy type around just sitting behind cover would be quite the task, also random cover everywhere sure would make driving a bitch.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    For what it's worth a lot of people are just as tired of the "click to velcro yourself to conveniently placed waist high wall" method of cover.

I mean if that's what you're getting from the videos, so be it I'm not really going to try and convince you, but I seem to be watching a much different game.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Considering all of the third person games that have come out over the past couple of years I've begun to wonder more and more how difficult it is to implement the various different kinds of cover systems in a game like this whether it's the sort of 'dynamic' cover as in Tomb Raider or the 'sticky' cover as in the Mass Effect series. (Though if I had my pick I'd prefer dynamic cover.)

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    I'm not talking about "stick to cover" systems. I just mean that all the gameplay I've seen so far is kite and plink, which is the most boring of all combat.

Eh, worked for Borderlands.

edited March 2013
    Maddoc wrote: »
    For what it's worth a lot of people are just as tired of the "click to velcro yourself to conveniently placed waist high wall" method of cover.

I mean if that's what you're getting from the videos, so be it I'm not really going to try and convince you, but I seem to be watching a much different game.

No one here is advocating this either. Some of us are saying "Ok...let's get some more complexity here besides 'I walk behind a wall to not get shot'."

What I'm arguing is that this is not an innovative system. This is a gun play system straight out of the 90's.

Is it so wrong for me to be raising questions because I am seeing nothing new? I mean, Farcry 3 has a fabulous cover system and it requires no clicks and no Velcro. We should be expecting fun and exciting game play, not giving a pass because it doesn't have the worst mechanics.

Edit:
    CorriganX wrote: »
    The world is also really not designed for waist-high walls. There are walls, building, debris, yes. But theres also huge open fields and mountains to get through. Having to rebalance every encounter and enemy type around just sitting behind cover would be quite the task, also random cover everywhere sure would make driving a bitch.

You don't have to have cover every where. It would just be nice to have a cover system for when there is cover.

Or deployable cover for people who want to carry such a device.

It's not something that needs balancing. The guns don't need to be more or less lethal just because there is cover, since you can just stand behind it it's there in either case.

What I'm saying is let's have the ability to use the cover in clever and creative ways. Bi-pods, blind fire, laser traps, deployable distractions, braced heavy weapons use, um...I'm out of idea's. But just those few alone seem like they might be fun to do every once in a while.

Sorry, didn't want to double post.

Double edit! Sorry, maybe I'm just looking for a little much. The idea of a co-op sci-fi TPSRPG MMO is something I've dreamt of for a while. Seeing it skate by on dated mechanics is something I take a little umbrage with.

Anon the Felon on
    If the game allows you to crouch, then it basically has the same cover system as Farcry 3.