As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX East 2013 International Food Exchange (How do you like your coffee?)

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    oddly enough that link is blocked via my work firewall as "mature" (I don't even...)

The article is misleadingly titled at a glance, since Kinder eggs are still illegal, however there is an alternative that loopholes its way in (choco treasures). It'd be interesting for those visiting to take home, but posting as a warning that people shouldn't glance at that and start bringing actual Kinder Eggs with them.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I hope nobody takes that link at face value. Kinder eggs are still illegal, do not try to smuggle them in.

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Sausage wrote: »
    I didn't find any Kinder Bueno White, just regular and also picked up some Koala Yummies and nut rolls. I think @aikoe has a World Market too.

I totally do. World Market and Whole Foods are the best places to grab local/weird snack foods. Dollar Tree is okay too if you happen to have a good one.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    The German store I went to was better, I found some Katzenzungen and Super Dickmann's. I have tried neither, but one appeals to my childish sense of humor and the other is a box covered in kittens and pretty irresistible.

You and I, Madame, we are on similar wave lengths.

HI3789R.png
  • TrieneTriene Registered User regular
    Nickzilla wrote: »
    Triene wrote: »
    Also, I'll re-up my request for some Basset's Jelly Babies... I think this is an England thing, but it could be a Europe thing.

@Triene I could easily bring you jelly babies, assuming I manage to resist biting the heads off the irresistable little bastards. and they don't count as some kind of delicious security risk at the airport.

That would be amazing D: I can compensate you if need be if you can get me a box (or two) of my own! And you should bring some to share, i suppose, since they are irresistible as you say.

Whatever you bring will be great. Thank you so much!

• SashanSashan Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

Someone contacted me about bringing some UK Irn Bru. I will still gladly take Jaffa Cakes, or bring them for everyone else to try. They won't last long lol.

I am just hoping the Jaffa Cakes I am bringing you make it out with me on the Tuesday ... far too tempting! ;)

• NickzillaNickzilla Nottingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Nickzilla wrote: »
    Also, I'll re-up my request for some Basset's Jelly Babies... I think this is an England thing, but it could be a Europe thing.

@Triene I could easily bring you jelly babies, assuming I manage to resist biting the heads off the irresistable little bastards. and they don't count as some kind of delicious security risk at the airport.

That would be amazing D: I can compensate you if need be if you can get me a box (or two) of my own! And you should bring some to share, i suppose, since they are irresistible as you say.

Whatever you bring will be great. Thank you so much!

NP mate. I'm a bit of a pig and will eat and drink most things. Alcoholwise I only drink cider tho. :)

• zealdukezealduke Registered User regular
    So I've heard in Canada they still have Sprite Remix available. Is this true?

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl I acquired a bottle of the cherry cider.

Hoorah! Thank you!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    zealduke wrote: »
    So I've heard in Canada they still have Sprite Remix available. Is this true?

Never heard of it, nor could I figure out why Wikipedia says we have it. Maybe someone from a different area of the country knows though.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Frugus comes out of his hibernation, smelling sweet sweet treasure.

I do not know if I will be able to make it since I have a schedule conflict, but I will be bringing some stuff none the less, most of which should be purchased before the end of the day. These will be the usual assorted candy bars, though I'm tempted to just get Mint Areos and Coffee Crisps since those go ridiculously fast and the rest have to linger until someone adopts them out of pity.

Kazama has kindly offered to cover me for the exchange, bringing in the items I'll have for trade and picking up anything otherwise.

Reverend Snide, Thank you so much for the Tim Tams :) That is, if they are still meant for me, in which case I would completely understand since I've been no where for the past few days. If we are still on, what would you like in trade? %% or Calories?

P.S. Tim Tams ARE finally sold around here, but they tasted nothing like what I remembered, so I'm thinking they are probably made locally.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    I regret to say I wasn't able to get the Original Sin cherry cider for you @LexiconGrrl. Neither liquor store I went to yesterday had it. I hope someone has better luck.

fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
    ravnos13 wrote: »
    I regret to say I wasn't able to get the Original Sin cherry cider for you @LexiconGrrl. Neither liquor store I went to yesterday had it. I hope someone has better luck.

Yeah, it's ridiculously hard to find. Most stores carry one or two of their ciders but not that one. Thanks for keeping an eye out!

IMG_0902%5B1%5D.JPG

Okay, here's the haul (minus more beer, which I'll be grabbing this weekend). Local wacky Seattle sodas in Lavender, Rhubarb and Cucumber flavors, local ginger beer, Hawaiian chips and some really outstanding local candy.

Okay, here's the haul (minus more beer, which I'll be grabbing this weekend). Local wacky Seattle sodas in Lavender, Rhubarb and Cucumber flavors, local ginger beer, Hawaiian chips and some really outstanding local candy.

That looks fantastic. Now I want to try cucumber soda.

Did we ever decide on definitely 2pm on Friday?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
  • sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    @Frugus odds are ill still see you around the hand held lounge as always

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah, I hope nobody takes that link at face value. Kinder eggs are still illegal, do not try to smuggle them in.

and if you do http://consumerist.com/2012/07/19/unwitting-smugglers-had-no-idea-delightful-chocolate-eggs-with-toy-surprises-inside-are-illegal/

edited March 2013
    http://i.imgur.com/EqEQh2R.jpg

My final haul. Not as much as I'd hoped, but I ran out of time.

The Koala March had a slight... accident... but crushed cookies are still good, right?

zerzhul on
  • SashanSashan Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I will most likely just grab a few multi-packs of cadbury/other brand chocolate bars/confection from here in UK to give to people, coz, well you know - US Cadbury (and "chocolate") is just plain wrong! You guys/gals need saving with the real stuff

Sashan on
    Since so many people are bringing beer, I've bought two bags of chips - Ruffles All Dressed and Lays Ketchup. I may grab something else if I see anything unique.

Because seriously, don't drink beer without chips. That's just sad.

Not sure how I will deliver these to your magical table but I will do my damn best.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • TrieneTriene Registered User regular
    To whoever was looking for Kinder Bueno White, my local German shop had none :(

I did pick up some Kinder hippos, a bag of some Haribos I haven't tried, and these weird chip-like things that are apparently bacon flavoured? We can find out together!

• tanoshiikitanoshiiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Got some Australian Cadbury Caramello Koalas and Cherry Ripes :)
    I'm still hoping to be able to recieve the elusive Kinder Bueno Whites! :D

tanoshiiki on
    Due to the zealous consumption during the breweries board game night on Thursday, they were sold out of the stout I wanted, so I have their two of their 750ML Barrel Aged Nutcracker Porter instead.

@sillyzombie666 - can I put in a request for coffee syrup? It sounded great and I've never even heard of it!

• THEZappBranniganTHEZappBrannigan Registered User regular
    Haven't gotten the chance to read the entire post, but if there is one thing I would love to take home, it's some high quality craft beer from the west coast or elsewhere around the globe. I'm willing to pick up anything in the Mass/surrounding New England area for anyone willing to swap. I'll even swap a few home brews too. Send me a message if you can get me some rare beer.

@LexiconGrrl i have been thinking about buying it like every other day at work, but yeah i'll grab one, its like chocolate syrup but its coffee instead meant for milk, man my bag is gonna be heavy as hell. so yeah i'll pick one up for you its cheap ($4) just get me something random in return if you want.

• THEZappBranniganTHEZappBrannigan Registered User regular
    Coan wrote: »
    For my personal consumption, if anyone can track me down a Stone Enjoy by (assuming there is a current one at the time) and/or a smoked porter, I would be grateful. I will update if I have any other requests.

I can repay in a similar amount of Canadian specific foods, homemade baked goods, cash (both US and in our new plastic monopoly money/bimetal coins), local craft beers (Black Oak Brewery unless otherwise requested, current selection will have to be determined closer to mid-march as they have some really wonderful seasonals), mainstream Canadian beer, etc.

I'm sure I could find as many 22 oz bottles of Stone Smoked Porter as you want, or whatever else you can think of. I love stouts, porters, tripels, sour reds, and pretty much anything that isn't an IPA.

Coan wrote: »
    For my personal consumption, if anyone can track me down a Stone Enjoy by (assuming there is a current one at the time) and/or a smoked porter, I would be grateful. I will update if I have any other requests.

I can repay in a similar amount of Canadian specific foods, homemade baked goods, cash (both US and in our new plastic monopoly money/bimetal coins), local craft beers (Black Oak Brewery unless otherwise requested, current selection will have to be determined closer to mid-march as they have some really wonderful seasonals), mainstream Canadian beer, etc.

I'm sure I could find as many 22 oz bottles of Stone Smoked Porter as you want, or whatever else you can think of. I love stouts, porters, tripels, sour reds, and pretty much anything that isn't an IPA.

I'd take any size of "enjoy by" since I know I'll have a hard time finding it in the northeast whenever I cross the border, otherwise, a smoked porter or really anything else Stone offers would be great. I do have 2 22oz bottles of barrel aged nutcracker porter from the local brewery I picked up.

edited March 2013
    Beer run is complete. I'll bring as many as I can within the weight allowance, and if I have too much I'll knock off some of the repeats to keep the variety as wide as possible. I left off the fruity beers (like Apricot Hef) in favor of a classic variety that are really representational of our local brewing scene. Heavy on the IPAs, since that's what people seem to expect from out here. Hopefully anyone from outside of Seattle has never heard of these breweries.

I will be asking for ID if you look under age 65.

All bottles are 22 oz
    Odin Brewing, Seattle WA - Freya's Gold Kolsch style Golden ale
    Lantern Brewing, Seattle WA - Tripel Golden Ale
    Sound Brewing, Poulsbo WA - HumuloNimbus Double IPA
    Airways Brewing Co, Kent WA - Sky Hag IPA
    Port Townsend Brewing Co, Port Townsend WA - Hop Diggity IPA
    Lazy Boy Brewing, Everett WA - IPA
    Silver City Brewery, Bremerton WA - Ridgetop Red
    EPIC Ales, Seattle WA - Bog Mushroom Ale
    Boundary Bay Brewing Co, Bellingham WA - Scotch Style Ale
    Port Townsend Brewing Co, Port Townsend WA - Barleywine (no review available)
    Old Schoolhouse Brewery, Winthrop WA - Rendezvous Porter

Tips for Travelling with Carbonated bevvies like beer or soda
    If you travel a lot with beer like I do, you probably know this already. If not, read on.
    -Pressurization is hell on bottlecaps. Duct or packing tape the caps on really well before packing.
    -Pack the beer well in a small box that can be opened and closed without tape in case the TSA wants to check your bag.
    -Put the packed beer box in the middle of your checked luggage, surrounded by clothes and soft things on all sides.

EDIT: If you want to trade your beer for my beer, I'll drink anything but overhoppy beers or IPAs. I'm sick of them. Seattlites drink IPAs like Baltimorians drink Bud Light.

LexiconGrrl on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Beer run is complete. I'll bring as many as I can within the weight allowance, and if I have too much I'll knock off some of the repeats to keep the variety as wide as possible. I left off the fruity beers (like Apricot Hef) in favor of a classic variety that are really representational of our local brewing scene. Heavy on the IPAs, since that's what people seem to expect from out here. Hopefully anyone from outside of Seattle has never heard of these breweries.

I will be asking for ID if you look under age 65.

All bottles are 22 oz
    Odin Brewing, Seattle WA - Freya's Gold Kolsch style Golden ale
    Lantern Brewing, Seattle WA - Tripel Golden Ale
    Sound Brewing, Poulsbo WA - HumuloNimbus Double IPA
    Airways Brewing Co, Kent WA - Sky Hag IPA
    Port Townsend Brewing Co, Port Townsend WA - Hop Diggity IPA
    Lazy Boy Brewing, Everett WA - IPA
    Silver City Brewery, Bremerton WA - Ridgetop Red
    EPIC Ales, Seattle WA - Bog Mushroom Ale
    Boundary Bay Brewing Co, Bellingham WA - Scotch Style Ale
    Port Townsend Brewing Co, Port Townsend WA - Barleywine (no review available)
    Old Schoolhouse Brewery, Winthrop WA - Rendezvous Porter

Tips for Travelling with Carbonated bevvies like beer or soda
    If you travel a lot with beer like I do, you probably know this already. If not, read on.
    -Pressurization is hell on bottlecaps. Duct or packing tape the caps on really well before packing.
    -Pack the beer well in a small box that can be opened and closed without tape in case the TSA wants to check your bag.
    -Put the packed beer box in the middle of your checked luggage, surrounded by clothes and soft things on all sides.

EDIT: If you want to trade your beer for my beer, I'll drink anything but overhoppy beers or IPAs. I'm sick of them. Seattlites drink IPAs like Baltimorians drink Bud Light.

Since you've clearly done this before, would it be better for me to bring 22oz beers for trades or 6 packs and just trade singles or something? I'm just curious about the norm so I could just easily swap a 22 for another 22 or something.

Damn here goes another bunch of cash on these easily!

would it be better for me to bring 22oz beers for trades or 6 packs and just trade singles or something? I'm just curious about the norm so I could just easily swap a 22 for another 22 or something.

Assorted 6 packs are way easier to travel with. Unfortunately, my own standard made me choose breweries that don't bottle in small bottles (I'm lucky I found a couple in bottles at all). In other words, I'm stuck with 22's. Doesn't mean you have to be. I've never traded beer at this exchange either, so hopefully more libationally experienced heads weigh in on the question, "What is Normal?"

last year was just food and some of the Chinese paint thinner, now this year CANDY AND BEER

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    393713_662305068915_1194437803_n.jpg

@aikoe Woodstock Inn Maple Porter
    @techgamingnews Maple candies, maple sugar candy, Cabin Fever and mead (not pictured, but bought)
    @streetlight345 Winter Jack
    @profaniti Cabin Fever

Bringing some Cabin Fever nips for sharing/trading (whiskey with Vermont maple syrup!), and I have an extra pack of maple sugar candy if anyone is interested! Also not pictured are some Japanese cookies shaped like mushrooms that I thought would be fun. :P If anyone else is interested in anything, let me know!

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
  • TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular

@aikoe Woodstock Inn Maple Porter
    @techgamingnews Maple candies, maple sugar candy, Cabin Fever and mead (not pictured, but bought)
    @streetlight345 Winter Jack
    @profaniti Cabin Fever

Bringing some Cabin Fever nips for sharing/trading (whiskey with Vermont maple syrup!), and I have an extra pack of maple sugar candy if anyone is interested! Also not pictured are some Japanese cookies shaped like mushrooms that I thought would be fun. :P If anyone else is interested in anything, let me know!

Awesome THANK YOU!

DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.

O_O
    I'm SO IN for a cabin fever nip.

O_O

scruffy seconds

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013

O_O

scruffy seconds

I'm not a whiskey person usually but that stuff is awesome!

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
    Rudabaga wrote: »
    tanoshiiki wrote: »
    aikoe wrote: »
    I looked for Kinder Bueno White but couldn't find any. I'm probably going to make another store run this weekend and will grab some assorted tasty goods.
    Thanks for trying. I am only after White, which I have a feeling is only now sold in Europe.

They had Bueno White in a local Canadian convenience store i used to go to. Assuming they still have some, I will see if I can pick some up:)

I fond something that looked like it but I'm not sure I had the right stuff... Is the exterior supposed to be made of white chocolate as well?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    Since I still need to get my shop on I wanted to gage the interest in picking up "local" craft brews. My feeling is they are available in Boston but I am never shure. Is there an interest in Magic Hat and/or Long Trail?

PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently
This discussion has been closed.