As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice League Heroes: Dammit, no Kyle Rayner

RocielRociel Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
This is the thread for discussing the upcoming game "Justice League Heroes". JLH is an action game with RPG elements not dissimilar to X-Men Legends. The available characters are the original league of 7 from the animated series only with Zatanna replacing Hawkgirl.

Videos: http://uk.media.ps2.ign.com/media/759/759017/vids_1.html

IGN announced the alternate costumes for the characters a few days ago. While The Flash has both Wally West and Jay Garrick available and E2 Superman is available, we don't get any other Green Lanterns (whic foils my dreams of an Earth 2 teamup. Dammit I want Alan Scott). I'm not going to lie to you, I'm heartbroken about this. On the plus side, we get Adam West Batman.

http://uk.ps2.ign.com/articles/732/732346p1.html

Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
Rociel on

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, I saw that a couple of days ago.

I never really cared about alternate costumes much, though, to be honest.

I just want to see some Green Arrow in action.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    God damn is that game ugly as all get out

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Adam West Batman? Now if they could only do ridiculous George Clooney Batman, they got themselves a customer.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:

When the game was first announced, I had high hopes, then I saw the character models, and eventually the game in motion, and I must agree.

Now, I do take gameplay over looks, but even in motion, I can sense that the game is destined to fail. The developers should get props for some of the alternate costumes. Jay Garrick? Sure. Though I would'nt quite call that an Adam West Batman. More Neal Adams ish.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:

When the game was first announced, I had high hopes, then I saw the character models, and eventually the game in motion, and I must agree.

Now, I do take gameplay over looks, but even in motion, I can sense that the game is destined to fail. The developers should get props for some of the alternate costumes. Jay Garrick? Sure. Though I would'nt quite call that an Adam West Batman. More Neal Adams ish.

It's not Adam West unless the mask has little chalk eyebrows.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    And it's not even that they're bad graphics (which they are)

The style is just terrible

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's not Adam West unless the mask has little chalk eyebrows.

And the Bat Shark Repellant...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    No Kyle?

WHORE SON.

I really don't care how it looks just as long as it plays smooth. I've wanted a decent JLA game for a long time.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    John, fuck yes.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    I'm not sure what I think of this one.

The story could be good, I guess they've got one of the JLU writers on it.

But nothing else about it really seems that impressive.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This game really doesn't look like it will be any good. It just has all the signs of a less than mediocre game. I'm almost a little relieved though, since I have only a GameCube.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I kind of hope it is good, though, because I don't think DC has had a good game for a while.

There's always the Lego Batman game, I guess.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Why would a game like this not be similar in style to JLU?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    I kind of hope it is good, though, because I don't think DC has had a good game for a while.

I think the Superman Returns game will be good. I mean, they didn't force them to release it with the movie, so it might come out well made.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Lux wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

I think the Superman Returns game will be good. I mean, they didn't force them to release it with the movie, so it might come out well made.

My only concern with the Superman game is that it will be like the Spiderman Movie game, the that the first one will pretty much more or less suck, then we have to wait another year the for good one.
    Why would a game like this not be similar in style to JLU?

It's not a JLU game.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You know, I don't really care for these Baldur's Gate/X-Men Legends style games. They're good for Diablo style bash-ups, but when it comes to superheroes I prefer stuff like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Punisher, or the Spider-Man games. Each of these games let you take advantage of how larger than life the characters were. Would Hulk have been as cool and awe-inspiring if you'd just had a top-down isometric perspective where you could pick up cars and only thrown them as far as the edge of the screen? Hell no.

It just seems like a waste to take some of the biggest, best superheroes and basically hamstring them by plopping them down in a game that won't be able to take full advantage of all the cool shit they can do. I'd rather see a Green Lantern game where I could fly around Coast City and perform complex ring tricks with certain rhythmic button presses ala a God of War, or a Flash game with a Punisher or Max Payne style bullet time, where you can rush around and incapacitate people before they can even raise their guns at you. Games like these would probably require a much bigger budget than Legends style games though.

Also, how was the Aquaman game they had for X-Box? I never got around to buying an X-Box, so I couldn't try it out, but I always thought an underwater game could be pretty cool, especially if they played with the ability to move in all directions.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    how was the Aquaman game they had for X-Box?

About as good as Superman 64

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I can't think of a better way to convert the superhero team experience to a videogame than by using the Gauntlet/Baldur's Gate formula.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Personally, I prefer Freedom Force to XML stuff.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    I saw that at Comic-Con. Doesn't look that great.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Like what Munch said, Im still waiting for the definitive superhero game, and it's not going to be a team game. They're fun, but also limiting.

Obviously, most games would (should) share the same requirements.

Free roaming gameplay. Isn't it funny how the first Spiderman / Hulk (movie) games sucked? Both were linear type games. The sequels, however, were a bit less linear with very large free roaming cities. A new Batman games needs a large Gotham City, or Supes with Metropolis - etc for any other hero with his/her own city.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    How about a Green Lantern free roaming game that let you go to other planets...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:

Exactly..call it The Green Lantern Corps.

You could choose from certain GL's and police the friggin galaxy. The only dnag would be how to use the power ring. Unfortunately we can't hook systems up to our brains yet.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Like what Munch said, Im still waiting for the definitive superhero game, and it's not going to be a team game. They're fun, but also limiting.

Obviously, most games would (should) share the same requirements.

Free roaming gameplay. Isn't it funny how the first Spiderman / Hulk (movie) games sucked? Both were linear type games. The sequels, however, were a bit less linear with very large free roaming cities. A new Batman games needs a large Gotham City, or Supes with Metropolis - etc for any other hero with his/her own city.
    The Superman Returns game is going to be free roaming, and I don't know why no one has made a GTA:Gotham game yet. I mean, Batman has like fifty different vehicles, and the bat-grapple, and the hang glider, and his cape-wings. Make the combat decent, make tons of little naturally occuring side missions, add in villain themed gangs so you could have Joker's cronies fighting with Two-Faces men on the streets, and you'd have the perfect Batman game.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    You could choose from certain GL's

All of them John Stewart.

Rociel on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    considerable for the purple skins

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    You could choose from certain GL's

All of them John Stewart.

Kilowog.

Poozer.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

Exactly..call it The Green Lantern Corps.

You could choose from certain GL's and police the friggin galaxy. The only dnag would be how to use the power ring. Unfortunately we can't hook systems up to our brains yet.

I'd totally be Mogo.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Wait..I change my mind..

I would be Leezle Pon.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It would work perfectly for the Nintendo DS.

Just draw what you want the ring to do.

If you're awful at drawing you can just play as Hal.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    It would work perfectly for the Nintendo DS.

Just draw what you want the ring to do.

If you're awful at drawing you can just play as Hal.

Or JLU John Stewart.

Anyone can draw circles.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    That is the worst idea for a game ever.

We both know what it would turn out to be.

Nothin' but dongs.

Giant, green, space dongs.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    DONGS THAT SMELL OF OZONE

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    That is the worst idea for a game ever.

We both know what it would turn out to be.

Nothin' but dongs.

Giant, green, space dongs.

Hard light? More like hard dong.

olol111!!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I am going to jail you for that

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Not because it was inappropriate, but because it was terrible.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Not because it was inappropriate, but because it was terrible.

Im on a dry spell tonight..

Im trying.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    You people aren't listening. A GLC game would be an awful idea because it would just be 150 different versions of John Stewart. You see, he's black. And as such they need to make sure he's in EVERYTHING. That's because they're diverse.

Rociel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Anyways..to get off the subject of green space dicks..

The Superman Returns game does sound promising -
    In Superman Returns: The Videogame, you explore and protect the truly living city of Metropolis — one that is not only expansive (with 80 sq miles and over 9,000 buildings), but also changes dynamically with you as you affect gameplay. Citizens will run away in terror from newly-erupting danger and also exit their cars to cheer and snap photos as you fly overhead to save them. Superman may be invincible, but Metropolis is not. Player choice matters, as Metropolis' destruction will affect your ability to progress. You must face the internal conflict facing Superman at every turn: will you pause your pursuit of super villains to stop a massive tornado sweeping through the city and save its civilians? Every decision made is critical to Metropolis' existence and can affect the collateral damage meter, which ultimately keeps the player in the game.

I just hope the disasters and such don't end up being like the Spider-Man 2 side missions. If I have to rescue a little girls balloon..Im returning the game.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    You people aren't listening. A GLC game would be an awful idea because it would just be 150 different versions of John Stewart. You see, he's black. And as such they need to make sure he's in EVERYTHING. That's because they're diverse.

That's pretty much how I feel about John Stewart. Everytime I see him used I know it's not because he's even remotely interesting compared to other green lanterns, but because he is a token black character that can be trucked out to show diversity.

Regina Fong on