As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Bi-weekly updates to living story continue. Lots of good stuff coming!

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

done

Looks great! :)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    I think frost blast is underused by zergs and should be used right after stacking might.

chilling a lot of enemies that attack you really does slow down incoming dps and movement. Either that or they should be chaos shielding (because chaos shields are awesome).

The only problem is... there are exactly three frost fields in the game. Engineer's Mortar, Elementalist's water staff 4, and Ranger's Frost Trap.

The only one I can see coming up consistently is Elementalist's.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    And you wouldnt have a single staff ele in a zerg?

:V

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well, you never know. Good luck hitting the ice field with all the others flying around.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    er?

We were specifically talking about organized guilds might stacking with fire fields before an engagement. All they need to do is have one staff ele put down an ice field right at the end of the stacking set right before they move to engage.

• Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    Well, frost aura doesn't stack duration, and if it's anything like the chaos armor from blast + ethereal field, the duration is too short to be worth gathering people up for

the point is you are already gathered might stacking. The duration point is a good one though. You would need a fast entry, but I can think of several situations where you would be engaged right after a might stack.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Treks unlocked in about, oh, 5 more days. :D

This means the next challenge will be unlocked in about 10 more days, and guild challenge in about 15 days. However, we need more influence! Get in there and do some dungeons and stuff!

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    We've tried ice field stacking. It's an interesting idea but it's just not as good as ethereal.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    How much more influence do we ideally want to unlock more guild missions and such?

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    i'll spam guild chat when i get on at night, cause i like to do at least one run of CoF 1, possibly more if people will run with my ranger.

cause, like, i need 4 more pieces of zerk gear on him, i've never zerked out my warrior, he is actually in 4 knights 2 zerk, and my necro will be 80 in a couple days, and i was just going to do zerk wells on him for now. that's a lot of CoF tokens. bright side, is that with the money i make getting these tokens, i can buy trinkets D:

Feldorn on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    How much more influence do we ideally want to unlock more guild missions and such?

We're on track to unlock Treks this weekend, and Rushes(50k influence) the following. We do need a bit more influence, mainly because we need to do one more tier of Architecture(30k influence) and then all of the tier upgrades will be done. Then it's just unlocking the other missions, Challenges (50k influence) and Puzzles (50k influence). Merits might be the limiting factor there though instead of influence, I haven't looked at it yet. We had around 37k influence last night when I got on, and we need to have around 50k this weekend to queue Rushes. We'd run Architecture T6 this week too if we had an extra 30k, which we most likely won't.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I'd also like to mention that this weekend is PAX East which is taking a number of our folks offline; the officers have been discussing if we will be able to run our typical Friday/Saturday missions. We will see.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'll have to say hi at PAX then.

• TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    Ardor wrote: »

We're on track to unlock Treks this weekend, and Rushes(50k influence) the following. We do need a bit more influence, mainly because we need to do one more tier of Architecture(30k influence) and then all of the tier upgrades will be done. Then it's just unlocking the other missions, Challenges (50k influence) and Puzzles (50k influence). Merits might be the limiting factor there though instead of influence, I haven't looked at it yet. We had around 37k influence last night when I got on, and we need to have around 50k this weekend to queue Rushes. We'd run Architecture T6 this week too if we had an extra 30k, which we most likely won't.

I was going to ask if you guys were on track with guild merits too. My guild was sloppy and we only did tier 2 the first week so we're going to end up 75 merits until Saturday. I had wanted to start on Guild Rush Unlock right after Politics level 6.

• ArkeonArkeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So I was thinking about picking up this game sometime before the end of the month. Before I do that though, does anyone know any guides I can read to avoid some of the newbie problems (what skills to get or avoid, what weapons to level with, where to level, etc)?

edit: any lore guides would be great too. I love to read up on that stuff, especially for a game like this one.

Arkeon on
    I honestly think, for the first time - that this is a game better played without a guide.

Besides recommendations based on how you like to play your games as to what class you should use, just go with it. Its plenty lenient.

And the second thing I would note is the game is best played not chasing heart quest hub to next heart, but going off the beaten path whenever it meets your fancy.

And this: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/myth-busting-queensdale/

As far as weapons, TRY THEM ALL (each have skills that have to be unlocked, and are unlocked the more you use a weapon). Use whatever takes your fancy and just have fun. Unlike other games guild wars 2 does not pigeonhole you into using a weapon, you can swap on the fly.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Oh. I re-made my Sylvari the other day and I have to say... the opening events feel much less epic and much weirder and more lonely when it's just you fighting this huge big beastie. I kinda liked how chaotic the events felt at opening with the giant zergs.

Also, I noticed some interesting stuff in the Dream:
    There's some translucent images of the other races in the Dream, and they're all rather racist caricatures! The Norn guy who shows up is this big hulking brute who goes I WILL KILL THIS BEAST. IT WILL LOOK GOOD ON MY WALL. The Asura are just plain total horrific assholes who make bad "chopped salad" puns about dissecting sylvari, which I guess makes sense considering that one of the first contacts the Sylvari had with the outside world was some asura who vivisected him o_O

It's still kind of interesting and actually helped a bit with the annoying Gary Stu Race image I've had of the Sylvari.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • ArkeonArkeon Registered User regular
    I honestly think, for the first time - that this is a game better played without a guide.

Besides recommendations based on how you like to play your games as to what class you should use, just go with it. Its plenty lenient.

And the second thing I would note is the game is best played not chasing heart quest hub to next heart, but going off the beaten path whenever it meets your fancy.

As far as weapons, TRY THEM ALL (each have skills that have to be unlocked, and are unlocked the more you use a weapon). Use whatever takes your fancy and just have fun. Unlike other games guild wars 2 does not pigeonhole you into using a weapon, you can swap on the fly.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should stop looking for guides now :P I stopped playing WoW a few days ago so most of my preconceptions were based on that game.

And thank you for the link! That'll come in handy once I start playing. I wasn't even aware that tradeskills gave experience.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Arkeon wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should stop looking for guides now :P I stopped playing WoW a few days ago so most of my preconceptions were based on that game.

And thank you for the link! That'll come in handy once I start playing. I wasn't even aware that tradeskills gave experience.

I'll second the idea.

The most fun I have with this game is when I drop every preconception about what I'm "supposed" to be doing and just do whatever looks fun.

For me, that usually means wandering the lands to find whatever's out there. GW2 is very good about catering to multiple styles of play.

They're changing world event chests again:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1075-upcoming-mega-boss-chest-change/
    In the next release we will adjust the way that world mega bosses award their loot. The current chests will stay lootable once per day per character, but each boss’s guaranteed rare item drop will be moved to a separate chest (visually similar to daily achievement reward chests) that can only be acquired once per day across an account.

Our intention with this change is to keep providing rewarding loot for world mega bosses while avoiding overwhelming participation in boss fights (and overwhelming the economy with rares) from players cycling through each character slot for each boss every day.

Probably for the better.

Yep. What i'm interested in at this point is when is this patch actually coming.

They said March 26, at least for the culling fix, so assume that's it.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Zoel wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »
    They're complicated. Honestly I only started understanding them once the major WvW guilds started using them. I know having a fire combo field with a blast finisher gives everyone in the field might. I know that damnit!

Basically, do a finisher in a field, up to five people get an effect. What effect depends on what combo.

The finer details are worthwhile.

a finisher works on the "on top" field in a stack, e.g. if I drop a light field and bob drops a fire field right after, any effects will use the fire field, and the light field is ignored for blast finisher purposes.

(so don't drop a field when you see a guild group stacking up or you might wipe them)

The BIG TWO are fire and water

Smashing fire gives you might and is usually used at the start of an encounter. Water does a SIGNIFICANT aoe heal for each blast and is generally used mid encounter before turning around.

Electric can only be made by eles, and is used for group swiftness

Ethereal gives chaos armor

Light gives retaliation

and the others are less important.

[RET]/[Shh] had an organized 20v20 GvG with [RISE] recently and you can see the use of the big two here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpwXxEvTK4U

kind of an embarassing video for me since I canary and end up the only person downed in both fights.

Dark field + projectile finisher = lifesteal, one of the very few ways left to kill a Supply Deopt quartermaster.

Also, I find it difficult to beleive that [RISE] is the best Kaineng can field. How friendly is [RET] to non-standard builds? I hooked up with [GODS] for a while and while their leadership is strong, they really force their people to toe the line, and not in a good way. "If you're running with us, you HAVE TO wear our guid colors." "If you're running with us, you HAVE TO take (insert skill here)." I don't play this game to cater to someone else's idea of what I should do; even if I have a stupid build, it has some utility.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

In the next release we will adjust the way that world mega bosses award their loot. The current chests will stay lootable once per day per character, but each boss’s guaranteed rare item drop will be moved to a separate chest (visually similar to daily achievement reward chests) that can only be acquired once per day across an account.

Our intention with this change is to keep providing rewarding loot for world mega bosses while avoiding overwhelming participation in boss fights (and overwhelming the economy with rares) from players cycling through each character slot for each boss every day.

Probably for the better.

maaaaaaan ecto prices are gonna go up again

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Ozymandias has something to say about your timeframe. ;)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Probably for the better.

Just this news is increasing the price, if you were collecting them: sucks bro. :(

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Basically, now is the time to do as many of the events as possible, and just sit on the rares. Once the patch comes out, then see what the price settles at and sell at that.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Stupid wrote: »

Dark field + projectile finisher = lifesteal, one of the very few ways left to kill a Supply Deopt quartermaster.

Also, I find it difficult to beleive that [RISE] is the best Kaineng can field. How friendly is [RET] to non-standard builds? I hooked up with [GODS] for a while and while their leadership is strong, they really force their people to toe the line, and not in a good way. "If you're running with us, you HAVE TO wear our guid colors." "If you're running with us, you HAVE TO take (insert skill here)." I don't play this game to cater to someone else's idea of what I should do; even if I have a stupid build, it has some utility.

dark field on quartermasters still sucks so you pretty much gotta wait out the timer.

[RISE] is the best either TC or Kaineng can field. They beat the shit out of pink, they're the only guild on either server that uses fields consistently, they don't wear glass, and most importantly they learn from their mistakes.

[GODS] doesn't have a great reputation. I'm a GM so I think I can say pretty safely that [RET] doesn't make people rep or run specific builds.

The only thing we really really don't like is people not wearing toughness or playing upleveled characters. We just can't overcome the disadvantage of all the rallys it causes. Playing glass doesn't do anyone a favor and demonstrably makes a comp weaker because of the rally system. No matter how much power/presc you have you can still only hit five people, and everyone can hit you. Some commanders are really big on certain skills or abilities, and some just work so well that it confuses the shit out of everyone if you aren't using them. For example, a guardian without stand your ground is rather strange given that stability is the best buff in the game and there are so few sources.

There could theoretically be exceptions to the glass thing but we sure as hell haven't found any.

Some commanders are more hurfy durfy on the build thing than others. Brother Alaric (who happens to be the best commander in ret right now) will say things like "If you have a way to put stability on your bar, do it." or "fear at max range" or "please be glamour mesmers."

Generally you're going to want to run a build that compliments the set-up that we're using. For example in that GvG above every mesmer needed veil; there's not really a way around that.

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, we generally show a very heavy melee comp that relies on aggregate health and we'll continue to do so until people can beat it reliably. The downside of this is that it's really hard for thieves and engineers to feel like they 'fit in' to the composition, but we make it work-- my main is an engineer, but I command on the guardian for fairly obvious reasons.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone can call 20 man zerg v zerg deathmatch "GvG". Just sayin'.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yesss any PAX East people in the guild?

I shall be there!

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Yesss any PAX East people in the guild?

I shall be there!

As shall I, but I'm not in the guild because I'm not on Fort Aspenwood and it's $22.50 (Well, really $30 because lol batches) to transfer to your server.

Yep, I'll be at PAX East.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I believe Delmain is going to the D&D dinner so I'll see him there.

Geod, what kind of things might I bump into you at?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'll be at East.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »

dark field on quartermasters still sucks so you pretty much gotta wait out the timer.

[RISE] is the best either TC or Kaineng can field. They beat the shit out of pink, they're the only guild on either server that uses fields consistently, they don't wear glass, and most importantly they learn from their mistakes.

[GODS] doesn't have a great reputation. I'm a GM so I think I can say pretty safely that [RET] doesn't make people rep or run specific builds.

The only thing we really really don't like is people not wearing toughness or playing upleveled characters. We just can't overcome the disadvantage of all the rallys it causes. Playing glass doesn't do anyone a favor and demonstrably makes a comp weaker because of the rally system. No matter how much power/presc you have you can still only hit five people, and everyone can hit you. Some commanders are really big on certain skills or abilities, and some just work so well that it confuses the shit out of everyone if you aren't using them. For example, a guardian without stand your ground is rather strange given that stability is the best buff in the game and there are so few sources.

There could theoretically be exceptions to the glass thing but we sure as hell haven't found any.

Some commanders are more hurfy durfy on the build thing than others. Brother Alaric (who happens to be the best commander in ret right now) will say things like "If you have a way to put stability on your bar, do it." or "fear at max range" or "please be glamour mesmers."

Generally you're going to want to run a build that compliments the set-up that we're using. For example in that GvG above every mesmer needed veil; there's not really a way around that.

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, we generally show a very heavy melee comp that relies on aggregate health and we'll continue to do so until people can beat it reliably. The downside of this is that it's really hard for thieves and engineers to feel like they 'fit in' to the composition, but we make it work-- my main is an engineer, but I command on the guardian for fairly obvious reasons.

...They're Supervisors...

I CAN'T HELP IT

what a happy day it is
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2013
    GODS is pretty inflexible. Ive seen their groups wiped out by much smaller numbers that I honestly think very little of them at the moment. (kaineng perspective here).

Probably for the better.

The funny thing is overall, they arnt reducing the total amount of obtainable rares in the game by very much at all. They are just tamping down on people abusing the low respawn time of the maw to run multiple alts through it.

Overall I dont think the total supply is going to diminish very much, and that this jump in price is unwarranted and its going to recrash.

What were seeing in this market is a panic bubble. I plan on selling off a chunk of my ectos very soon in anticipation of the crash.

Draygo on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    GODS is pretty inflexible. Ive seen their groups wiped out by much smaller numbers that I honestly think very little of them at the moment. (kaineng perspective here).

I haven't been on lately (playing Tomb Raider and Ni No Kuni), but I can totally see how that would happen. The leadership of [GODS] has a real solid grasp of the strategic part of WvW but they really don't understand the tactical part of flexibilty. For example, couple weeks ago it was "mesmer night" and everyone was told to run (or make) a mesmer and run a specific build. A couple days later it was "thief night" and we were all told to bring out our thiefs.

They sure do know how to put the zerg in the right place to put pressure on a map though! They've got some great scouting and planning minds in there.

Is [PRO] still around? There were a bunch of them that just sprung out of nowhere when world transfers closed down a few weeks ago. Are they still active?

Stupid on

26904.png
This discussion has been closed.