As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic book characters as tattoos...

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    You should get this tattooed somewhere prominent.

Yay! A grammer lesson... it's informational AND off-topic..

You misspelled grammar. Maybe you need more help than I thought.

DouglasDanger on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So I talked to a tattoo guy in the area and he said he could do both the green lantern on my finger and recolor my eye of horus that I have on my forearm for 60.00. I went on ebay to find replica rings and there all about 50 bucks.
    Found a wicked cool sinestro ring though. I'd link to it but I have been unjustly jailed.
    Attica Attica!

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    I think I would go for something obscure enough that only true comic geeks would know what it was, like the shape from Doctor Strange's window.

I'd love to try to explain a tattoo like that. "Hey, neat symbol. Some kind of Celtic thing?" "No, it's Dr. Stephen Strange's window." "..." "He's the master of the mystic arts."

You could be at a comic convention standing next to somebody dressed up in a cosplay outfit based off of Power Rangers/Superman/Ewok slashfiction, and they'd still be well within their rights to make fun of you.

Munch on
  • TalonissTaloniss Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Taloniss wrote:
    and Spider-man pulling himself out of his grave from Kraven's Last Hunt on the other bicep.

That seems like both the worst idea ever, and the most totally awesome thing in the history of the universe. Pics?

My Tat. Sorry about the quality, it was taken with a crappy webcam.

Taloniss on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    I think I would go for something obscure enough that only true comic geeks would know what it was, like the shape from Doctor Strange's window.

I'd love to try to explain a tattoo like that. "Hey, neat symbol. Some kind of Celtic thing?" "No, it's Dr. Stephen Strange's window." "..." "He's the master of the mystic arts."

You could be at a comic convention standing next to somebody dressed up in a cosplay outfit based off of Power Rangers/Superman/Ewok slashfiction, and they'd still be well within their rights to make fun of you.

A co-worker and fellow comic geek worked the design into a playhouse entrance he had to draw:

http://darrencalvert.com/funhouse.jpg

DMAC on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Angry wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    I don't suggest getting a figure drawing either, they tend to look bad, especially in color. If you really want a full figure tattoo then I would suggest getting something that looks like the picture in this link.

I've been trying to find this awesome "symbol" for Nightcrawler that I thought would make a bad ass tattoo but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. It was a simple black and white design of NC coming out of a BAMF cloud. The cloud was black (except some white whisps), as was most of NC, the only reason you could tell anythign was in the cloud was because of the white used to highlight just outlines of parts of his shoulder, ear, back, ect. The eyes were white as well and the tail came out of the cloud along with at least one of his feet, also all black. It was really impressive. Get a tattoo like that with yellow for the eyes. :^:

white fades into yellow, so i wouldn't recommend that tattoo.

Black and white pictures are very easily turned into great black-ink only tattos. White ink is terrible, and is to be avoided.

The trick to any detailed picture is to get it big. Most people don't want to hear that. They want a teensy-weensy tat that is maybe 5x5 at the most. That's not enough room for lots of detail. Always listen to the advice of the tattoo artist on what size to make the tattoo. If the artist suggests a size larger than what you are willing to have on you (or pay for) then don't fucking argue with them.

If you do that, 90% of artists will shrug and give in, knowing that your tattoo will look like shit in 5-10 years.

If your tattoo artist tells you that the lovely design you picked out is probably meant to be a full arm or leg piece, or even a full chest or back, you need to accept that the design is too intricate and choose something else (unless you want to get really inked up, which is fine).

The worst tattoos are photo-realistic portraits. They look great for a few years, then they turn to shit. The best tattoos feature bold lines and/or large chunks of solid colors. Comic book characters actually do translate into tattoos pretty damn well, much better than photo portraits.

I have long considered getting some sort of Punisher tattoo, but I don't want the skull. Too many people have the skull.

And lastly, I will strongly disagree with the guy who said that gradients look bad in tattoos. I only have 3 tats, and two are tribal, but the non-tribal is a dolphin sporting a sailor hat on my left shoulder (all done in black ink) and the shading turned out great. It will eventually need a touch-up, probably in 3-5 years, but that is perfectly true of most tattoos.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2006
    Damn man you're some kinda tatoo covered sailor, that's pretty rad.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Damn man you're some kinda tatoo covered sailor, that's pretty rad.

Oh jeez, not even. You should see some of the guys on my boat, my skin is nearly virginal by comparison. :P

Regina Fong on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    What I meant by "Gradients look bad" was "I don't like gradients in tattoos"

i'm much more of a solid color guy

Garlic Bread on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, here it is. Frankly, I think it looks awesome... but I might be biased.

img2473ay6.jpg

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2006
    That sir, is a nice tattoo.
    Makes me itchy for another one.
    How about a plastic man arm sleeve, all wrapping around it and making different shapes.
    but seriously cool tatt.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm not really a tattoo guy, but that's pretty fucking awesome. The length of his face is kind of different than he's usually drawn, but in a very good way.

august on
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    All I see in that tattoo is his ass.

Oolong on
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    H-scroll dude, h-scroll.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    H-scroll dude, h-scroll.

No, I mean that his ass seems to be the focal point of the tattoo, not that I'm so fucking stupid I can't scroll to the right.

Oolong on
    edited September 2006
    Oolong wrote:
    H-scroll dude, h-scroll.

No, I mean that his ass seems to be the focal point of the tattoo, not that I'm so fucking stupid I can't scroll to the right.

Where exactly do you think I put this tattoo?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hey, that looks better than I thought it would. As always, it'll probably degrade a bit over time, and look a little funky when hair starts growing back over it, but you've got a pretty good nerd conversation piece there.

Munch on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think it looks okay, for the most part but I dislike Nightcrawler and think his head is too big, so I am kind of biased as well.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't like it. It's an odd pose, he looks like he's dancing. And his face is weird

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I don't like it. It's an odd pose, he looks like he's dancing. And his face is weird

The picture isn't the best and doesn't do it justice... I will admit the look is different from traditional Nightcrawler pics, but that is, honestly, what makes it work for me for some reason. I'm happy with it, though I can why some might not like it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Oolong wrote:
    H-scroll dude, h-scroll.

Where exactly do you think I put this tattoo?

Christ, reading comprehension sucks around here.

You have for some reason chosen to tattoo Nightcrawler's ass on the inside of your forearm. Happy?

All that said, though, the linework and the colors look good. But it's still a picture of his ass.

Oolong on
    edited September 2006
    Christ, reading comprehension sucks around here

Yeah, sorry... I figured out what you meant but didn't feel compelled enough to edit my post, my bad..
    have for some reason chosen to tattoo Nightcrawler's ass on the inside of your forearm. Happy?

To be fair, his ass takes up about an inch and a half of a nine inch tattoo... are you sure you don't have some kind of Nightcrawler ass fetish?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited September 2006
    Nope, the ass seems to be the focal point. Nightcrawler's even looking at it

Garlic Bread on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    To be fair, the ass was the last thing I noticed. Maybe Im just weird? Or you all feel like tapping blue ass. I dunno.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    I don't understand what is the huge problem with resizing a picture so it at least comes close to fitting a computer screen.

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2006
    or rotating the picture so we don't have to turn our heads

Garlic Bread on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I feel bad for you. That is not a good tatoo. I'm sorry, it's just not. If you like it though then more power to you. That's ultimately all that matters.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2006
    I feel bad for you. That is not a good tatoo. I'm sorry, it's just not. If you like it though then more power to you. That's ultimately all that matters.

If you are trying to communicate that the style or subject of the artwork is not to your liking, then fine; you are entitled to your opnion. But if you are suggesting that the tatto is "bad" in the sense that it has been done in a sloppy or less-than-satisfactory manner, you are simply wrong. It looks professionally done, and there are no visible flaws in the tattoo.

Regina Fong on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

If you are trying to communicate that the style or subject of the artwork is not to your liking, then fine; you are entitled to your opnion. But if you are suggesting that the tatto is "bad" in the sense that it has been done in a sloppy or less-than-satisfactory manner, you are simply wrong. It looks professionally done, and there are no visible flaws in the tattoo.

The proportions look all off to me. His kicking leg looks like a stump. I imagine that foreshortening isn't easy to do in a tattoo but regardless...

Anyways, like I said, as long as he likes it it's all good.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

The proportions look all off to me. His kicking leg looks like a stump. I imagine that foreshortening isn't easy to do in a tattoo but regardless...

That's what happens when you take a picture of a tattoo on an arm or leg. It squishes it flat. I'm sure the foreshortening looks right in person.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

Actually, the leg wraps around the arm, that's why it looks off. Sorry, should have mentioned that...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    apostrophepostermd5.jpg

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2006
    apostrophepostermd5.jpg

I'm not sure what you are responding to with that comic.

The apostrophes used were in "I'm" and "that's" which are both contractions. "I am" and "that is".

Smoke less crack, I guess, is the lesson learned.

Regina Fong on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    apostrophepostermd5.jpg

The apostrophes used were in "I'm" and "that's" which are both contractions. "I am" and "that is".

He's responding to the incorrect use of the apostrophe in this thread's title.

Spectre-x on
    edited September 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    apostrophepostermd5.jpg

Durr durr duuuur

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    apostrophepostermd5.jpg

Sadly, he's about two pages late, as that comic has already been posted. It is nice to see so many people looking out for my grammar, however...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited September 2006
    well you could fix it

Garlic Bread on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've seen a number decent comic book inspired tattoo's, but the truely "cool" ones are rare. One of those WWE wrestler guys has the Green Lantern symbol on his shoulder, its a cool idea. Beats the legion of guys with superman symbols on their arms :P

Caveman Paws on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Anyone have a solitary picture of the spider-man emblem when he wore the symbiote costume? I'm wanting it tattooed on my back just as it was on the costume, but can't find just a picture of the emblem.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • LaveLave regular
    edited October 2006
    I' t'hought J''ordyns bitchin'''' tatto'os would be men'tioned by now.

I would like a tattoo but I'm a wimp and scared of later life.

(P.S, took special' care's of the apostrophe's. Hope that help's.)

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!