As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    As long as the sword is not pointy enough to harm then you are good. That is the only problem I can foresee with it (the design of it makes it fall pretty well outside of the "realistic" weapons policy so no need to worry about that)

As for help on the build I would check out
    http://www.facebook.com/LightningCos
    or even
    http://www.kamuicosplay.com/tutorials

Both of them do a great job with prop weapons each with their own style. The first one uses wood as the base and builds up from there (check her Death Knight Progress album). The next one uses expanding foam and then carves it and then hardens it.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    I just bought a very nice sewing machine so I have to make something this year. . . If not more than one costume :3

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    AtronachAtronach SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hello! So I'm a noob with cosplay, but I decided to do my first cosplay for PAX Prime 2013. I was planning on doing a cosplay of Dante from Devil May Cry. Yes I am planning on doing the new version of Dante, only because it's the easiest one I can think of and I do like the new Dante.

Cool! My friend is planning on doing Kat from the new DMC :)

I also think my friend and I are going to try and cosplay from Mass Effect, with me as Jack and her as Miranda.

PAX 2013 Cosplay:
    Skyrim - Flame Atronach & Female Daedric
    Mass Effect 3 - Jack
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'd love to do a Bioshock Infinite costume, I have a lot of Steampunk stuff already, wonder how I could alter/add to it to make it look more "Columbia"...

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    How could I go about constructing the chess pieces on her shoulders?
    alice_zpsbb576749.jpg

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    Hmm...Paper Mache? That may work, and it'd be light. If you sprayed it with a resin or gloss paint you'd have the shine. The detail may be tricky though...

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Carved foam. And you could use paint to imply the sharper features, like the notches in the mane and the eyes.

• Options
    Oooh, yes, Carved foam would work great. That blue stuff I've seen them work with on the LOTR making of features would look niiiice.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    I also support the carving of foam to make those shoulder pieces. Just look up some youtube vids. Real easy to learn and turns out great results!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Picked up some hair color for when I recycle my Scout's Mom for Sakuracon. Since I don't really have the time or materials to make anything new, I guess I'll just work on details this time around.
    So I made that TF2 group a while ago, but no one's in it but me and a few friends. Is it just too early for people to be looking, or am I missing a step in the cosplay group process?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The folks on therpf.com are probably the best place to go for advice. They are all dedicated to replicating props from everything you can think of.

• Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    This year I'm going as Caitlyn from LoL in her arctic warfare skin. My boyfriend will be going as Swain from LoL in his northern front skin. Hope they turn out good!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    It's Borderlands cosplay for me and my friends this year! Two of them will be going to PAX for the first time, and allllll 5 of them have never cosplay'd before so it's going to be so much fun :) We're doing Gaige, Lilith (unless she decides to go with Moxxi), Salvador, Zer0, Axton, and Mordecai. And very hopefully, we'll have time to make our own Claptrap!

• Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    Picked up some hair color for when I recycle my Scout's Mom for Sakuracon. Since I don't really have the time or materials to make anything new, I guess I'll just work on details this time around.
    So I made that TF2 group a while ago, but no one's in it but me and a few friends. Is it just too early for people to be looking, or am I missing a step in the cosplay group process?

maybe its early? tickets haven't been sold yet so there's a lot of uncertainty still on if investment in a costume will happen or not. i just hope there's some early warning on when tickets go on sale.

• Options
    ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    Would it be too outdated if I finished my Amon costume for this year, do you think?

If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • Options
    Panda PartyPanda Party I got jimmies. Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm planning on going as Emmy from Professor Layton and the Last Specter. My friend is going as Professor Layton himself again (she has the bessst hat!), so that'll be fun. I have a couple of things gathered up for my costume, but I'm not going to start in earnest until I have my PAX ticket!

• Options
    JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll be able to do the magic armor in time. So I'll probably just make a regular green tunic link costume. Although, I plan to bring my new clawshot.
    wavu0Ao.jpg

• Options
    ploogle wrote: »
    Would it be too outdated if I finished my Amon costume for this year, do you think?
    It's never too late to cosplay as anything really. Fans are always excited to see their obscure or old fandom represented, especially since most events with cosplay tend to be dominated by a handful of major fandoms and little else.
    Plus it being a little older by the time PAX rolls around means there's less chance you'll run into a ton of copies of yourself.

• Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Have to scrap Zaeed this year, gotta save money for my big move this summer. Boyfriend and I are probably going to do an Oregon Trail cosplay for a day or two... we haven't ever seen one!

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    I'm currently working on an Iron Man Mark 7 suit and am hoping to have enough materials left over to build some Assassin's Creed inspired armor attachments :)

Also, does anyone have any experience making large boots/shoes and having to stuff them or add height? The boots for the suit require me to have something set-up under my heels and I'm not sure what would be a good material to place there. I'm building the armor out of 1/4" foam using the Pepakura method so I know I'll need something sturdier than that to help keep the boots together. Any suggestions are appreciated! :D

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    You're all so ambitious. I am going minimum effort as Amy Pond, mostly because she dresses like a regular person.

• Options
    UriainUriain Frantically reloading Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Question for people living in condo's/apartment buildings. Where do you build your cosplay, especially the ones which require some sanding, hot glue etc. I live in a Condo so I can't exactly be out on my tiny cement landing with a grinder.

Split Infinity Radio - Get loud, Get Mental
    Saturdays 5pm EST - HEADSHOT - Getting your First, Third, and everything inbetween shooter news, reviews and gameplay tips
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Jjjewels, I love the idea of Any Pond. That would be awesome.

And as you do more cosplay and meet more cosplayers, you get more comfortable testing the waters and getting more creative.
    My first cosplay was modifying an old flight suit of my Dad's tro make Halo Spartan fatigues. Now I'm working on a Cerberus Phantom from Mass Effect 3. You just take your time, do what's comfortable, and know there are a lot of us out here willing to help.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    My first time doing cosplay anything (other than Halloween, does that count?). I've always loved Amy Pond and am hoping I can convince the bf to be Doctor Who (fezes are cool).

• Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Uriain wrote: »
    Question for people living in condo's/apartment buildings. Where do you build your cosplay, especially the ones which require some sanding, hot glue etc. I live in a Condo so I can't exactly be out on my tiny cement landing with a grinder.

Well... my boyfriend and I did, haha. I hope our neighbors didn't hate us. We only did the loud stuff in the middle of the day on our little landing and cleaned up well. Hot glue and sculpting can easily be done indoors. We also considered sanding by hand at a park, but we never went and did it. If it's not a large piece, you could try that too. You should have seen our apartment last summer... there was permanent layers of newspaper, tagboard, etc. protecting all surfaces so we could get it done. Not pretty, but it works.

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    UriainUriain Frantically reloading Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ohkatey wrote: »
    Uriain wrote: »

Well... my boyfriend and I did, haha. I hope our neighbors didn't hate us. We only did the loud stuff in the middle of the day on our little landing and cleaned up well. Hot glue and sculpting can easily be done indoors. We also considered sanding by hand at a park, but we never went and did it. If it's not a large piece, you could try that too. You should have seen our apartment last summer... there was permanent layers of newspaper, tagboard, etc. protecting all surfaces so we could get it done. Not pretty, but it works.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I have a couple idea's ranging from Oleg Kirrlov to a Boomer from Gears of War rattling around in my head, so I am just trying to get a handle on space, materials, and where I can grind/sand the bigger pieces.

Split Infinity Radio - Get loud, Get Mental
    Saturdays 5pm EST - HEADSHOT - Getting your First, Third, and everything inbetween shooter news, reviews and gameplay tips
  • Options
    ScardycrowScardycrow Registered User new member
    I'm hoping to make it to Pax Prime 2013 this year with my fiancee.

If I do make it I will be bringing my Scarecrow crossplay from Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'd also be trying to get my Sima Yi- Dynasty Warriors 6 crossplay done for one of the days. But Scardy would be a guarantee ^^

• Options
    riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    So I may be leaving the East Coast to come to Prime this year!

If that happens I will absolutely be bringing at least my Talia Al Ghul cosplay with me. I am also working on a Red from Transistor cosplay (because I fell in love with the demo at East). Hopefully she'll be done in time :)

• Options
    Oh so more of a general cosplay question, for an outfit I'd like to do at some point.
    For this kind of dress (heavily patterned print), how to you recommend going about it? Painting on fabric, which I'm assuming would be some sort of polyester blend for the time period? Finding a "close enough" print, and just doing the shape accurately?
    I painted stripes on a white t-shirt for my Flapjack costume, but that was just 3 straight stripes, not organic, multi-colored stripes. Plus the fabric paint made the painted areas really stiff, I can't imagine what doing a whole garment would feel like.

• Options
    ElleonElleon Registered User regular
    Hello everyone!!

I've been debating how many cosplays to set up for PAX Prime this year for a few months now. Bouncing between one to three, I think I've finally settled on two. However, the roster has changed from my original plans a bit.

What was once planned as Lady (DMC4) and Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga I) is now changing to be Lady (DMC4) and Meryl Silverburgh (MGS4.)

It looks like we're going to have a full Metal Gear Solid group going as well! We'll see what the coming months bring us though!

Hoping to cosplay Friday and Saturday.

• Options
    DisharmonicDisharmonic Registered User new member
    Hi! I'm going to be relocating to the Seattle area in a few months, so I should be just settled in by the time PAX Prime rolls around. Seeing as 2013 is the Year of Shadowrun, I'm planning on doing a Netcat or maybe a street samurai loosely based around Molly Millions/Sally Shears from Neuromancer. I'd absolutely love finding a couple of other people with similar inclinations to meet up and go as a whole runner team one night, too.

• Options
    NymphodorahNymphodorah SeattleRegistered User regular
    Assuming I'm able to snag some tickets (the anticipation is KILLING ME), I'll be attending my first PAX this year with some friends and the BF. I'm going as reverse Annie from LoL with a friend, which I'm pretty stoked about. I've also started building a Gaige costume from Borderlands 2, but I'm not too sure if it'll be finished in time. Sewing isn't exactly my forte.

It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
    Twitter: ACatlett206
    Battletag: Tonks#1448
    Steam/Xbox: Nymphodorah
    Tumblr: thenerdy-narwhal
  • Options
    I've got an idea for a costume, basically a big ol steampunk costume, the important part is a huge arm piece, imagine Hellboy's hand, but more steampunk. I just need to figure out how to best make the hand to be light, mobile, and large.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    Finally got some feedback from the beau. I've been wanting to do some paired/couple cosplay for a while now, so I figured I better jump on it early 'cuz it's bound to be twice the work!
    Our current ideas are:
    Godot (Phoenix Wright) and I guess Mia (not sure if modern or past version)
    Guybrush Threepwood and Elaine (again not 100% on which versions)
    Sasha Nein and Milla Vodello (Psychonauts)
    F2p Spy and BLU Scout's Mom

The last one I'd love for him to just do a RED Spy but it's nigh impossible to find an actual red suit, and he seems quite enamored with playing around with TF2 cosmetic items. I'm also loathe to wear my Scout's Mom a third time without seriously updating it, but we'll see.

Any advice on any of these? I did a quick Google search for Godot's visor tutorials and it seems like there are some easy versions to be made, but we've got plenty of time at the moment to work on things if we wanted to.

• Options
    Psychonauts and Monkey Island for me :-D Love those games.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    Oh so more of a general cosplay question, for an outfit I'd like to do at some point.
    For this kind of dress (heavily patterned print), how to you recommend going about it? Painting on fabric, which I'm assuming would be some sort of polyester blend for the time period? Finding a "close enough" print, and just doing the shape accurately?
    I painted stripes on a white t-shirt for my Flapjack costume, but that was just 3 straight stripes, not organic, multi-colored stripes. Plus the fabric paint made the painted areas really stiff, I can't imagine what doing a whole garment would feel like.

Could always try patchwork. Saw someone's cosplay of Milla that said they cheated and use a heat and bond on the smaller details.

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Options
    WizardoWizardo Registered User new member
    Oooh I still gotta decide what I'll cosplay as this year! C:

• Options
    KagzKagz OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I wish I could bring my bigger stuff like Sylvanas but there is just no way when I am flying there. So I am planning Millia Maxwell from Tales of Xillia. If my Tera costume is done in time then that as well but I am not sure it will be, it has all the details. Otherwise I dunno what else I will bring Maybe Shiki from TWEWY.

• Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Excited to see everyone's costumes! I did a steampunk link for sakura-con and will be bringing thst for atleast one day. And im going to be making a Singed from LoL cosplay as well.

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I've got an idea for a costume, basically a big ol steampunk costume, the important part is a huge arm piece, imagine Hellboy's hand, but more steampunk. I just need to figure out how to best make the hand to be light, mobile, and large.

I would absolutely love to see this!

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie