As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I read that the reason they switched to iron sights was to TEST iron sights, in the beta, as they will eventually be a part of a more robust weapon customization system found in games like BF3 and COD.

And I dunno, I played this game back when they first released the merc pack and found it nearly unplaybale. I was constantly having a bad time with it. But it feels like a pretty solid game right now. I had more fun with it last night then I ever did in BF3.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    actually the iron sights were added after months of people whining on the closed beta forums about not having them

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    I played this for the first time this weekend on a buddies account. I sucked, but it was fun. If a PS3 fell into my price range, I'd play DUST.

I'm not an FPS player, but you are telling me that people wanted something obscuring their vision while they are trying to be more accurate?

• Options
    BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Lochiel wrote: »
    I'm not an FPS player, but you are telling me that people wanted something obscuring their vision while they are trying to be more accurate?

yup.

i don't claim to understand CCPs actual motivation, but there were indeed people complaining because the "camera sights" (their words not mine) looked fake...

they also gave one of the cleanest sight pictures of any optic in any fps i've played.

but yah. the realism... let's just toss "playability" and "balance" out the window. we should probably stop this whole bullshit respawning thing while we're at it. in real life it wouldn't be like that. *facepalm*

Buzzwords on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    The one thing I feel like they really managed to dial in is weapon balance. It's not perfect but it is very, very good.

• Options
    I think it is perfectly valid to expect a video game to realistically portray combat that happens as far in the future as now is from the stone age.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sentence structure does not parse.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    So, I tried playing Ambush last night. Why does this exist? Who decided this gametype was ready for public consumption. Every game starts off with a crap shoot of do you spawn in front of someone or behind them. Awesome.

Then every death is pretty much the same.

I had multiple instances where I literally never saw the battlefield, and just heard the sad death music and respawn screen.

I went like 4-30 over 3 games or so. Im not great at this game, but after a rough start I had crawled my way back to like a 1.2 and was steadily improving in skirmish. This was just a nightmare though. It probably would be fun if i was on the side not getting butt pounded, but each game was like 60-10 at the end with my side just getting destroyed the entire time. It was spawn-get shot from all sides- die running to cover. Or you make it to cover and like 3-4 guys flank you because nobody was remotely shooting at them cause team mates were likely doing the same thing you were.

Fun.

The worst part is, its like 25% of the time of a skirmish, but like 33% of the skill points and like 110% of the isk. So...isk wise its by far the better choice. I think Dust is a social experiment on whether or not people enjoy good games or they enjoy filling bars quicker. Cause Ambush is a POS game that shouldnt exist but is obviously just a test designed to see if players will stab themselves in the eye for more isk.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    That makes perfect sense in my mind when I read it, but only because I know what it is trying to say. Perhaps if I could use punctuation correctly.

The world portrayed in EVE/DUST is the same amount of time away from "now", as "now" is from the stone age.

Of course, I should have just said "That shit is 20k years in the future. 20k years in the past was the Upper Paleolithic Stone Age, when humanity was still developing the technology to write on cave walls and carve sexy ladies out of stone." But I didn't.

Point being; Realism in video games is a joke.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So, I tried playing Ambush last night. Why does this exist? Who decided this gametype was ready for public consumption. Every game starts off with a crap shoot of do you spawn in front of someone or behind them. Awesome.

I had multiple instances where I literally never saw the battlefield, and just heard the sad death music and respawn screen.

I went like 4-30 over 3 games or so. Im not great at this game, but after a rough start I had crawled my way back to like a 1.2 and was steadily improving in skirmish. This was just a nightmare though. It probably would be fun if i was on the side not getting butt pounded, but each game was like 60-10 at the end with my side just getting destroyed the entire time. It was spawn-get shot from all sides- die running to cover. Or you make it to cover and like 3-4 guys flank you because nobody was remotely shooting at them cause team mates were likely doing the same thing you were.

Fun.

The worst part is, its like 25% of the time of a skirmish, but like 33% of the skill points and like 110% of the isk. So...isk wise its by far the better choice. I think Dust is a social experiment on whether or not people enjoy good games or they enjoy filling bars quicker. Cause Ambush is a POS game that shouldnt exist but is obviously just a test designed to see if players will stab themselves in the eye for more isk.

I play and enjoy Ambush quite a lot. Almost exclusively. I'm currently sitting at ~5.1 k/d, and it's rare for me to die more than twice in a match.

This is because, again, I have SP invested in stealth and radar skills. I know where people are, and they don't know where I am. Imagine that!

I will say that I have been seeing a lot of unusually bad pub teams lately. It's perfectly mystifying to me how these people manage to die fourty times in two minutes. I think they might actually be bots...

but yeah. As a game mode, it's at it's best when there are a couple of GOOD squads on both teams. Intelligent use and defense of drop uplinks is crucial to a good Ambush match, and you simply don't see that in pubs since we switched to open beta.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    The one thing I feel like they really managed to dial in is weapon balance. It's not perfect but it is very, very good.

Well they have had 10 years experience in that field.

• Options
    I play and enjoy Ambush quite a lot. Almost exclusively. I'm currently sitting at ~5.1 k/d, and it's rare for me to die more than twice in a match.

I honestly think it would be impossible for anyone to have done anything successful given the spawns and situations I encountered. Like I said, I had a number of times I never even saw the screen before I died again.

Im sure everyone on the OTHER team all went like 10-2 or better. It was a massive slaughter every time.

I tried running away and dropping an uplink to control my spawns and stop me from spawning in the open, and while that mitigated the instant death, it lead to an unwanted scenario of being pinned down. Admittedly this was far more preferable, but it wasnt long until I got over-ran and the uplink got destroyed.

Im sure if you roll with a good team with a number of coordinated squads using advanced gear and a tank or two (which we were up against...) you could do well and have fun. But playing on the other end of that, there is no room for me to do anything at all. When the entire map has an enemy with a line of sight on it, and youjr entire team is either dying or huddled together behind one rock, no amount of player skill, character skill or equipment would help.

I mean, defend the game type if you want, but the spawn system is totally screwed, at the very minimum. The start is literally a roll of the dice if you get a kill or die.

Now, I could expand on how a non objective game type does not work at all when some players have advanced skills/equipment, but that would be more of an opinion. Sticking to the fact, they gave zero thought to the spawn system, and it is the worst any FPS has ever seen.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have no problems going 10-2 even on a losing team. It's true that you can be put into impossible situations by a bad spawn, but it's also possible to take advantage of spawning behind enemy lines. Additionally, there's lots you can in the way of risk mitigation. I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but Remote Mines are the anti-zerg. Stealth, mobility, and situational awareness are crucial. Having a shitload of armor and a big gun are liabilities.

I don't like the spawn system, but I have adapted to it. As for the start of the match, nobody is forcing you to press X right away.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Going 10-2 in a losing effort is different then going 10-2 in an effort where your entire team has like 20 kills total.

In fact in one game I had 2 deaths without being able to move. One at the start, another before I could see the game after respawning.

Lowering my radar signature or increase my radar capabilities doesn't help when in spawning in someone's line of sight

I admit I probably could have hid and maybe gone like 2-3 or something in each game. But I don't find that very fun either.

All I can say is you weren't there man, you don't know. /vietnam The scores were literally 60-10 at one point.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    So PA report has an article on this. I feel like I am 100% playing a different game then they described. I just made a corporation for me and my buddies Tacocat Industries. But now I feel like that was a mistake and i should probably focus on finding a corporation that already exists to join...

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Why not do both?
    You can have more than one character.

• Options
    BursegSardaukarBursegSardaukar Registered User regular
    CCP is hosting an event in Boston during PAX East. You have to sign up (for free) so they know they have enough space for everyone!

LINK

• Options
    I dont play nearly enough to hit the active SP cap. And correct me if im wrong, but only one character can get passive sp at a time, correct?

I would be dividing my SP pretty heavily if i had multiple active chars. I could see the use if I played a lot more and started hitting the cap.

Though having a char for dicking around with my buddies, and having one for playing "serious" with an EVE/DUSK clan might not be a bad idea. The question would be, which one gets my fancy merc pack gear?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Fun.

This is because, again, I have SP invested in stealth and radar skills. I know where people are, and they don't know where I am. Imagine that!

I will say that I have been seeing a lot of unusually bad pub teams lately. It's perfectly mystifying to me how these people manage to die fourty times in two minutes. I think they might actually be bots...

but yeah. As a game mode, it's at it's best when there are a couple of GOOD squads on both teams. Intelligent use and defense of drop uplinks is crucial to a good Ambush match, and you simply don't see that in pubs since we switched to open beta.

Ambush is hit and miss with me. I go from having a great round, where my team spawns at the DUs I put down and forms a base, forcing the enemy to come to us and get cut down in the process. Other matches, my team can't get setup anywhere and we never gain momentum against the other side, which results in a lot of deaths. The biggest decider I have noticed is having a squad drop a HAV on us, especially if it is a higher end one, considering how few people actually have anti-armour setups.

Also, it gets really frustrating when you random spawn infront of hostile players, or on the initial spawn it places you in a corridor with a heavy equipped with a HMG.

• Options
    Yeah, HAVs are a major problem because unless there are uplinks, you have no control over whether or not you spawn in one's kill zone.

I just stay away from ambush 100% now. I'm starting to finally feel pretty solid at skirmish though, usually finish in top 1-5 in war points with a 2:1 or better. Absolute worst is usually like a 9-10 round when my team was just redlined the entire match. I also sometimes suck when we redline the enemy, cause i just get sniped standing around with nobody to shoot.

Last night I killed a guy who was using the Proto HMG, looked up the ISK value and smiled. I REALLY wish this game would show you the value of the loadouts for guys you killed, plus what you lost. It would be awesome to know for sure that guy just lost like 500K cause of me. His HMG was like 150K, but I doubt you use that and dont throw on a good heavy dropsuit with some nice expensive mods.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I am honestly surprised that the end of round scoreboard shows K/D instead of Isk Killed/Lost.

• Options
    i would definitely love an isk efficiency stat like eves killboards.

me and my guys will doggedly hunt HAVs, but even if we succeed in exploding him once twice or even thrice, he can still end up with a 10-15:1 KDR.

i hate the idea of even letting them THINK they won.

• Options
    Yeah, the strange part is, I think they DO keep track of ISK spent, and it does have an impact in how much ISK you get. But I think its applied to the whole team, then distributed based on WP.

So even if you personally blow up 3 HAVs, you dont get direct credit in ISK, but you do increase your teams pool of isk which increases your share based on your WP.

But yeah, it would be nice to do a kill mail type thing as a results summary for each match. Just send it to each player in their in game mail and let them review it if they want. They HAVE to know their player base would want this.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Ambush mode spawning was dramatically reworked with todays patch. much better. you get some "blobbing" but the way i look at it; blobs = big gunfights.

and it's effectively solved the "spawn inside a heavies HMG" issue.

• Options
    It feels more like the results of typical low-level squad fights.
    So, positive step forward.

• Options
    Anyone playing with Immobile Infantry on here?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Is Immobile Infantry the Goonswarm Dust corp?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Yeah... I want to join, but I'm currently in subdreddit. I don't keep up on my Eve politics since I don't play right now, but I'm fairly certain test and goon are at war.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's a friendly kind of war, from what I understand?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    it's sort of a "we're all bored" war. they've agreed not to attack each others territory and structures, but ships are all fair game. (as i understand it. i'm not IN either group.)

Buzzwords on
  • Options
    Ah ok... That isn't so bad then.

• Options
    So, the last few days Ive played this and just absolutely tore it up. I have no idea what the difference is, except that I stopped joining random squads and stick with the "no squad" squad. This has allowed me to use my drop uplinks to get the entire mass of random team mates to attack with me. Played like 6 games last night, lost one I came in half way through, and was 1st in warpoints with like 30-8, 12-2 type k/d every time.

i also adjusted my aim sensitivity, lowering Y to 10 and x to 20. Not sure if that helped too.

I also just have gotten lucky and havent had to deal with teams with multiple proto tanks just stomping.

Oh, and I started aiming for the head, seems like a no brainer, but locational damage in this game seems more important than BF3/COD (Halo is weird since it has shields, head shots are absolutely vital, but for the first few shots it doesn't matter).

616610-1.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    CCP are dropping heavy hints that there will be a new build announced at fanfest

• Options
    Crit multiplier does seem to be in the vicinity of x3->x5. Somewhere in there. It also seems to do full damage in falloff range, which is why the GEK-38 is so powerful.

• Options
    Well with the crit it also has to do with kill times in general being a bit slower than the others I mentioned (aside from halo, but the shield mechanic at play there changes things).

In a lot of FPS, headshots dont matter much cause the enemy dies in 2-3 bullets anyway. But in DUST, espcially with possible unbalanced fights (militia versus proto) the kill times are longer. It also allows you to pretty much negate the advantages of proto gear and the like. Heavies still survive long enough to make it count, but other classes probably don't.

If the fall-off part is true as well, that would also be huge.

I wonder if the tac AR or burst get a headshot bonus over the others? Might help balance them if they do. As it is, I can't really imagine a solid reason for using either of those compared to even the militia, or especially gek or duv (havent tried it yet, but in theory looks powerful).

616610-1.png
  • Options
    The burst rifles are fine-ish. The tac is inexplicably hilaribad.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    the tac and the burst both come with the optics that all ARs used to have. (tac might have more zoom, but it's the same aesthetic.)

the burst is kinda so-so. it's a long burst with an excellent RoF, but i hate burst weapons in every videogame. think of it this way; a burst gun is the only kind of gun that can be firing while you're NOT holding the trigger. that always throws me WAY off.

the tactical would be amazing if you had a modded controller, as it's firecap is actually higher than the RoF on the normal ARs with better damage and a scope. but if you're NOT an asshole, it's pretty useless. there's no way your finger taps fast enough to salvage that. it also supposedly has a range buff, but it's effective DPS when used by human fingers is so bad that even in its "sweet spot" it's still pretty bad.

and i dunno if headshot multiplier varies by weapon variant, but it does vary by weapon class. for example scrambler pistols have a very high headshot multiplier. but i dunno if an assault scrambler pistol is any different from a normal one.

Buzzwords on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    i find the tac rifle is useful for longer ranges - ie, i can be shooting at a guy whose spraying at me and come out on top as long as im out of his effective range

but the second someone gets too close to me, i drop.

i use it mainly on my medic build, cause i dont really plan on being up close and personal with that build

• Options
    Wouldnt a LR or tac sniper be far more effective at what your describing? Plus the ranges of most ARs are so large that its hard for them to be "out of their range"

Also, just unlocked the guage uplink. Whats that? Two uplinks active at once? Oh snap, never be redlined again!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Wouldnt a LR or tac sniper be far more effective at what your describing? Plus the ranges of most ARs are so large that its hard for them to be "out of their range"

Also, just unlocked the guage uplink. Whats that? Two uplinks active at once? Oh snap, never be redlined again!

Yeah, you'd think that... But sometimes your team has a way of proving you wrong, no matter how much you stack the odds in their favour.