As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knights of Arcadia Phalla Night GAME OVER: MAFIA VICTORY

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It is in the sharded's best interest to come forward so that they can be killed or have the shards removed (as was hinted is possible in the OP?), since they cannot win if the survive

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If only sharded folk remain, they instantly die and The Acquaintance wins.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

Sharded people do not win with the Acquaintance. Your best bet is to get those shards out of you ASAP.

Truth. For right now, that probably means whoever has the shard removal power should use it on themselves first. After that... people who are likely to live a long time? We don't really have any idea who does and doesn't have a shard at the moment. My best guess is that we'll get plenty of them just by killing each other and the mafia. If the shard remover ever gets networked, we could start in on specials, but for now just trying to get shards out of people who will be alive at the end seems the most logical route.

I call this the don't de-shard Infidel plan ;)

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I still don't understand how a shard would repair the dark crystal

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Locus wrote: »
    Acquaintance wincon - Have only sharded people alive before demons or village attain their wincon
    Demon wincon - Kill all the village
    Village wincon - Kill all the demons

So this game will probably not end when the demons outnumber the village, as far as I can tell, in order to give the acquaintance the chance to win
    I think you'd have to add that both the village and demons have to remove all of the shards.

Why would you think this before Munkus's clarification?
    Because only one faction can win. The Acquaintance can only be defeated if only non-shard people remain. So we'd have to get rid of the shards in order to defeat the Acquaintance. The demons would have to do the same.

Nothing had been said to that point that inferred the bolded at all.

If our wincon was to kill the demons, then it wouldn't matter if any shards were around and we could have just won.

Wincons don't have to be mutually exclusive (I think thats the right use of that phrase)
    kime wrote: »
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    wait which clarification

He received a private clarification via PM

Are villagers required to defeat the acquaintance to win

Really it shouldn't have taken you guys this long to discuss it and not ask it

Only one faction can win the game, Acquaintance, village, or demon.

This was before your post listing the win conditions

Steam profile
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Acquaintance wincon - Have only sharded people alive before demons or village attain their wincon
    Demon wincon - Kill all the village
    Village wincon - Kill all the demons

So this game will probably not end when the demons outnumber the village, as far as I can tell, in order to give the acquaintance the chance to win
    I think you'd have to add that both the village and demons have to remove all of the shards.

Why would you think this before Munkus's clarification?
    Because only one faction can win. The Acquaintance can only be defeated if only non-shard people remain. So we'd have to get rid of the shards in order to defeat the Acquaintance. The demons would have to do the same.

Nothing had been said to that point that inferred the bolded at all.

If our wincon was to kill the demons, then it wouldn't matter if any shards were around and we could have just won.

Wincons don't have to be mutually exclusive (I think thats the right use of that phrase)
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    wait which clarification

He received a private clarification via PM

Are villagers required to defeat the acquaintance to win

Really it shouldn't have taken you guys this long to discuss it and not ask it

Only one faction can win the game, Acquaintance, village, or demon.

This was before your post listing the win conditions

"Only one faction can win" doesn't mean that one side can't achieve their wincon before another side still has a chance to achieve theirs.

But now I see where people inferred what they did

ObiFett on
    That also sets the rest of us back to just finding mafia. As far as we know, the only person who know who does and doesn't have a shard is the Acquaintance. Who isn't talking and who we wouldn't believe if he was.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    A man has no idea what is happening. This is mostly because a man has yet to be contacted by anyone seeking a man's services.

"Services?"
    How good are you at wand and artifact polishing?
    Ha! I call mine “The Colonel”.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    It is in the sharded's best interest to come forward so that they can be killed or have the shards removed (as was hinted is possible in the OP?), since they cannot win if the survive

I sincerely doubt the sharded even know that larlar implanted his seed in them

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I also inferred it from the OP info about the Acquaintance. It's not explicit, sure, but it made the most sense to me (prior to the clarification).
    How does the Acquaintance win?

The Acquaintance will use his knowledge of the players of the game and select a certain number of people to have his 'shards' embedded within them. The Acquaintance wins when the only players left have shards. The Acquaintance immediately leaves the game when all shards are found/removed. Shards are removed upon death and by village or mafia special powers.

Can we vote out the Acquaintance?

No. The Acquaintance is immune to everything. You can't beat someone like the Acquaintance through brute force, it requires subtle negotiation. You defeat the Acquaintance ONLY by removing the shards from play. Likewise, I would advice you to not use the Acquaintance's true name (as revealed in the previous game). If you do so, he may...punish you.

I concur. But wanted to say that just in case, or for when we learn more about who is sharded later (I'm assuming the ability to do so is out there somewhere)

Steam profile
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular

Also, unless Larlar is a secret phalla addict, he isn't going to know who might live longer. (outside of Kime, cause everyone knows Kime dies early)

edited March 2013
    I also inferred it from the OP info about the Acquaintance. It's not explicit, sure, but it made the most sense to me (prior to the clarification).
    How does the Acquaintance win?

The Acquaintance will use his knowledge of the players of the game and select a certain number of people to have his 'shards' embedded within them. The Acquaintance wins when the only players left have shards. The Acquaintance immediately leaves the game when all shards are found/removed. Shards are removed upon death and by village or mafia special powers.

Can we vote out the Acquaintance?

No. The Acquaintance is immune to everything. You can't beat someone like the Acquaintance through brute force, it requires subtle negotiation. You defeat the Acquaintance ONLY by removing the shards from play. Likewise, I would advice you to not use the Acquaintance's true name (as revealed in the previous game). If you do so, he may...punish you.

I can see where you would assume that and turns out you were right!

I tend to look for loopholes and immediately wondered if we even needed to "defeat" the Acquaintance but instead just worry about our wincon. Assuming that someone else entirely needed to defeat him.

ObiFett on
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular

Scandalous phrasing! And so closely on the solicitation for a "wand-polishing."

Is this a brothel we've been thrust so violently into? Are we men, or are we whores?

Maybe there's no difference, anymore.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Whoops, didn't close my quote tags. Sorry, ObiFett!

Is this a brothel we've been thrust so violently into?
    Gods, I wish.

Currently Playing:

Scandalous phrasing! And so closely on the solicitation for a "wand-polishing."

Is this a brothel we've been thrust so violently into? Are we men, or are we whores?

Maybe there's no difference, anymore.

There is, some of us just came in to get out of the rain. Others were already here for nefarious reasons.

Retaba wrote: »

Also, unless Larlar is a secret phalla addict, he isn't going to know who might live longer. (outside of Kime, cause everyone knows Kime dies early)

That's the other issue with seeds. Without any leads, we can only fall back on "Who might X pick for his seed" (yes that sounded just like I intended it to).

Since larlar really hasn't played in my time, I haven't got a clue. If he's smart (and there's nothing to argue otherwise), then he probably just RNG'd nine numbers and stuck them there.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular

The shard mechanic sort of relies on the afflicted not knowing they are such. At least not at first; shard-specific abilities are not out of the question.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Munkus agreed with Obi's statement, so I'm taking that as verification that the sharded don't know they are sharded.

I will blissfully ignore anything Larlar posts as a result and hope our specials and the mafia can handle the shard business.

If I'm sharded and you find out, kill me if you can't purge it.

Retaba wrote: »

That's the other issue with seeds. Without any leads, we can only fall back on "Who might X pick for his seed" (yes that sounded just like I intended it to).

Since larlar really hasn't played in my time, I haven't got a clue. If he's smart (and there's nothing to argue otherwise), then he probably just RNG'd nine numbers and stuck them there.

But that's what he knew we would think he was going to do and then probably put them on names he knew.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5rzBuBSnMphunAkv_CifvLMTyfy5dVf64MdjHZAazK8tsNOoo

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Given that 9 people are sharded, I find it highly unlikely that someone didn't reveal that to the thread if they in fact know what happened to them.

That'd be like having a battle phalla where no one said "Hey guys, can we stop attacking me please?"

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

i have that dvd

The shard mechanic sort of relies on the afflicted not knowing they are such. At least not at first; shard-specific abilities are not out of the question.

It wouldn't shock me to know that the Acquaintance can do SOMETHING with his shards. Honestly though, I've driven myself bonkers trying to figure out mechanics in games before. Obi's first phallance game really banged home the idea that a general concept of abilities helps, but trying to define them exactly only leads to you being wrong. With some luck, we'll get a better idea of what's going on with the shards in a few days. I can't imagine that a game with an informed-minority vs. uninformed majority ALSO requires killing ANOTHER uninformed minority that doesn't know they need to be killed. So we'll wait and see.

For now, can we get back to the idea of demon hunting? I'm all fine with us going after some of the people who had mini-bandwagons yesterday to clear up some confusion.

Kill anyone who joined the game from SE++; they are more likely to be Larlar’s pals and thus the perverse delight he’d take in making them his seed-bombs would be multiplied.

Currently Playing:
    Keep in mind that we do not need to remove all the shards.

We simply need to remove the demons before the only villagers that remain are sharded.

If, for example, we killed the demons, had 4 sharded villagers and 1 non-sharded villager remaining, we would still win.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I did get a rather strange PM from Larlar earlier.

Something about laughing so hard that I would shard my pants, and that he liked stew more than soup because it's shardier.

What could it mean?

MrTLicious wrote: »

We simply need to remove the demons before the only villagers that remain are sharded.

If, for example, we killed the demons, had 4 sharded villagers and 1 non-sharded villager remaining, we would still win.

NOPE

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular

Something about laughing so hard that I would shard my pants, and that he liked stew more than soup because it's shardier.

What could it mean?

it is a mystery

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited March 2013
    If that's not true then the acquaintance has the power to add more shards.

Edit: Or more probably the ability to kill villagers.

MrTLicious on

What could it mean?

TheRoadVirus?

Steam profile
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

the host has said the exact opposite

What could it mean?

Is that why you mentioned barbecue sauce?

NOPE

Steam profile
    edited March 2013

Edit: Or more probably the ability to kill villagers.

The bolded and probably the ability to manipulate behind the scenes more than we know.

edit: not the ability to add more shards

ObiFett on
    I'm guessing he can kill people. This game would get REALLY awful if we eliminate the mafia, then just have to keep voting out random people to try and find the last shards. The acquaintance at least has a kill.

Also with 4 villagers and 1 sharded left, we still don't know who had the shard

Steam profile
    Are we done with shards for now? Yes? Good.

I'm all for the MrT vote. But if there's anything I hate more than a silly bandwagon, it's one without competition. Looking back on yesterday, Iron Weasel started making a late run right before a bunch of votes hopped on Megafrost.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

So the real question is: who would larlar pick?

Phyphor wrote: »

So the real question is: who would larlar pick?

No, the real REAL question is: who wouldn't larlar pick???

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    THE REALEST question is: did the spell work?
    You should be aware of your own breathing now and feel the need to control it MANUALLY!