As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice League Heroes: Dammit, no Kyle Rayner

• Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have no problem with them using John Stewart as their primary GL. Hell, the comic version is an architecht so he actually does something useful with that damned ring. But to not include Hal/Alan/Guy/Kyle alts was just plain silly. I was ONE member short of a Golden Age reunion (Jay Garrick, classic Wonder Woman, E2 Superman).

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    I saw gameplay footage for the Superman Returns game that looked pretty entertaining.

He grabbed a random civilian off the street and flew him up to the top of a skyscraper. When he put him down, the guy starts running away, at which point Superman uses his super breath to blow him off the edge of the roof.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    I saw gameplay footage for the Superman Returns game that looked pretty entertaining.

He grabbed a random civilian off the street and flew him up to the top of a skyscraper. When he put him down, the guy starts running away, at which point Superman uses his super breath to blow him off the edge of the roof.

:|

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That sounds like my kind of Superman game.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

The game obviously allows you to play as Golden Age Superman, the one from Superdickery. For one mission you'll have to force Lois Lane to marry a shamanistic ape that's secretly Jimmy Olsen.

Munch on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    How about a Green Lantern free roaming game that let you go to other planets...

Exactly..call it The Green Lantern Corps.

You could choose from certain GL's and police the friggin galaxy. The only dnag would be how to use the power ring. Unfortunately we can't hook systems up to our brains yet.

They could give you some pre made forms to choose from. Say a energy beam, a shield for defense, and maybe some sort of offensive weapon too. But you would need much more to choose from. Then you could bind them to a certain key like they did with the Zelda games fro the 64 and GC.

Still not quite as cool as the game picking up on actual thought..but with enough variety it could still be fun. Id really love for them to come out with a Green Lantern game that was done well.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    You know, I don't really care for these Baldur's Gate/X-Men Legends style games. They're good for Diablo style bash-ups, but when it comes to superheroes I prefer stuff like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Punisher, or the Spider-Man games. Each of these games let you take advantage of how larger than life the characters were. Would Hulk have been as cool and awe-inspiring if you'd just had a top-down isometric perspective where you could pick up cars and only thrown them as far as the edge of the screen? Hell no.

It just seems like a waste to take some of the biggest, best superheroes and basically hamstring them by plopping them down in a game that won't be able to take full advantage of all the cool shit they can do. I'd rather see a Green Lantern game where I could fly around Coast City and perform complex ring tricks with certain rhythmic button presses ala a God of War, or a Flash game with a Punisher or Max Payne style bullet time, where you can rush around and incapacitate people before they can even raise their guns at you. Games like these would probably require a much bigger budget than Legends style games though.

The problem with that is that those games are designed with around the capabilities of one hero and designed for one person. The Wolverine game had dozens of moves for Wolverine and oppurtunities for him to use his unique powers. When you get games that are a team dynamic and made for group playing then it becomes impossible to design the game to best represent the characters powers.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:

The game obviously allows you to play as Golden Age Superman, the one from Superdickery. For one mission you'll have to force Lois Lane to marry a shamanistic ape that's secretly Jimmy Olsen.

If you get to torture Aquaman and Jimmy in the desert with a pitcher of water then I'm down for it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    The problem with that is that those games are designed with around the capabilities of one hero and designed for one person. The Wolverine game had dozens of moves for Wolverine and oppurtunities for him to use his unique powers. When you get games that are a team dynamic and made for group playing then it becomes impossible to design the game to best represent the characters powers.

Oh yeah, I get that. I'm just saying that those games end up being pretty boring, and not capitalizing on the fantastic nature of superheroes.

And you know, I wonder if they could make a team superhero game patterned off of say Freedom Fighters, Black, or Socom, where you've got kind of a squad based gameplay that allows you to direct teammates to take certain positions and give simple commands, while the computer controls the other heroes in a generic kind of way, with an optional split screen mode for co-op play. Developers probably couldn't do much in the way of mindblowing new gameplay or anything, but it could still be fun.

Actually, several months back I was reading about some 360 game that allowed you to basically play as superhero cops in a freeroaming, mission based environment. You'd play guys that could lift and throw cars, leap tall buildings, and generally trick out certain generic skillsets, with a co-op mode and everything. As I recall, the main character was some big black dude with cornrows. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

Oh yeah, I get that. I'm just saying that those games end up being pretty boring, and not capitalizing on the fantastic nature of superheroes.

And you know, I wonder if they could make a team superhero game patterned off of say Freedom Fighters, Black, or Socom, where you've got kind of a squad based gameplay that allows you to direct teammates to take certain positions and give simple commands, while the computer controls the other heroes in a generic kind of way, with an optional split screen mode for co-op play. Developers probably couldn't do much in the way of mindblowing new gameplay or anything, but it could still be fun.

Actually, several months back I was reading about some 360 game that allowed you to basically play as superhero cops in a freeroaming, mission based environment. You'd play guys that could lift and throw cars, leap tall buildings, and generally trick out certain generic skillsets, with a co-op mode and everything. As I recall, the main character was some big black dude with cornrows. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Crackdown. It's like GTA combined with Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

It's called Crackdown and Ghost Rider 2099 will be here to talk about it momentarilly.
    EDIT: Beaten like a dead horse.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

It's called Crackdown and Ghost Rider 2099 will be here to talk about it momentarilly.
    EDIT: Beaten like a dead horse.

unf unf unf

Ego search ftw.

Crackdown. Go to Gametrailers.com and do a search on it, then watch all the videos. Running around straight shooting mofoes in the face. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop Batman style, lifting cars spiderman style, sniping peeps MAster Chief style, rat-ta-tat tat wit my gat in yo' face, srrsly.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fucking Hells, dude, they were being sarcastic.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Good, fuck Kyle Rayner

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Good, fuck Kyle Rayner

Fuck you, Shoe.

Fuck you.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Good, fuck Kyle Rayner

That's it. You're on notice.

You pull something like this again and you're dead to me.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Man, they have mullet-superman.

Frankly, that's all I need to know.

It is a bit lame that all the GL's are John though. Even John in Hal's costume!

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm guessing it might seem a bit racist that John's other costumes might be different GLs that are all white. Especially since they'd have the better costumes.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I though Kyle was Asian or Hispanic or something.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I though Kyle was Asian or Hispanic or something.

Kyle Rayner, sounds like a good Asian name to me, hehe. No as far as I know he's your average white american kid.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    He was a white kid until Judd Winick retconned him into being half-Puerto Rican

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Lol, token minorities in comics.

That's so gay.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    That was Judd's way of making Pedro into a superhero.

"Okay, so then Pedro make a giant green-"
    "Wait who?"
    "Green Lantern. Kyle."
    "You said Pedro."
    "I said SHUT UP your homophobic face!"

Wiki tells me Pedro was actually Cuban, but man, I know that conversation took place at some point in the DC offices.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    That was Judd's way of making Pedro into a superhero.

"Okay, so then Pedro make a giant green-"
    "Wait who?"
    "Green Lantern. Kyle."
    "You said Pedro."
    "I said SHUT UP your homophobic face!"

Wiki tells me Pedro was actually Cuban, but man, I know that conversation took place at some point in the DC offices.

I agree to an extent, but if superhero comics are going to remain relevant in this country, they are going to have to show a lot more latin characters than currently exist.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kyle never knew his father. He always had color to his skin. His eyes always seemed more then just common caucasian. He always had skin tone that was not just pasty white pink. As soon as they wrote into Kyle's story that he didn't know his father anything other then a minority would have been a cop out. This thread is borderline at this point and it sickens me a little bit.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    As soon as they wrote into Kyle's story that he didn't know his father anything other then a minority would have been a cop out.

That is racist as hell.

This thread is borderline at this point and it sickens me a little bit.

I agree, after reading your post I threw up in my mouth a little.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    white families are so perfect

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    white families are so perfect

They're just better than the other kind.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    It would have been a cop out because Kyle didn't look white. He looked half asian actually. Not because of what you are implying. You have to own that thought.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
  • Options
    SavitarSavitar Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kyle never knew his father. He always had color to his skin. His eyes always seemed more then just common caucasian. He always had skin tone that was not just pasty white pink. As soon as they wrote into Kyle's story that he didn't know his father anything other then a minority would have been a cop out. This thread is borderline at this point and it sickens me a little bit.

Actually they revealed Kyle's real father before ages before Winnick retconned the whole thing to do this PC crap that he spews. During a cross over between Green Lantern and Green Arrow (dead Oliver time) Kyle believes he finds his father, it's not but instead his uncle who wants to over throw the American government, the uncle is killed. At the end of the event we get to see a plane landing with a man getting off who is then given a letter, it says his brother is dead.

Kyle's real father is/was an American secret agent. Hal Jordan even ran into him one time when he first got the ring as told by another story, I believe that one was told after the Winnck one so hopefully it means they're abandoning the crap that Winnick wrote.

Savitar on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Savitar wrote:

Actually they revealed Kyle's real father before ages before Winnick retconned the whole thing to do this PC crap that he spews. During a cross over between Green Lantern and Green Arrow (dead Oliver time) Kyle believes he finds his father, it's not but instead his uncle who wants to over throw the American government, the uncle is killed. At the end of the event we get to see a plane landing with a man getting off who is then given a letter, it says his brother is dead.

Kyle's real father is/was an American secret agent. Hal Jordan even ran into him one time when he first got the ring as told by another story, I believe that one was told after the Winnck one so hopefully it means they're abandoning the crap that Winnick wrote.

Why is the story crap? I found it quite touching. Kyle was the only Lantern I could relate to.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Savitar wrote:

Why is the story crap? I found it quite touching. Kyle was the only Lantern I could relate to.

Because his backstory was given a relatively racist twist in an ironic attempt to make him a more PC character?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    It wasn't to make him PC

it was because Judd has a pedro boner

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Why is it crap?

Because Winnick has a history of trying to shoe in so much PC material and than preach it to the media for attention. But then what do you expect from a guy who first showed up on a reality TV show. His run and the one that followed helped to lampoon Kyle's GL run big time. He took Terry Berg who was a supporting character and for a good number of issues made his own being gay an issue that it was hard to take serious, in fact it turned Terry Berg into one of the more hated characters in the series history due to how Winnick kept trying to push the character down people's throats and beat them over the head with a forced morality lesson that absolutely fell on it's face.

But more to the point we already saw Kyle's father in the flesh, we got to see how he looked. If my scanner was still hooked up I'd go through my old issues and scan it for you because the guy we get to see is nothing like the guy who later showed up during Winnick's run. The two are completely different characters only one is a character developed by a writer who tries to be "socially relevent" thinking what he does is bold and new!

What a joke.

Again I'm glad that they came up with how Hal meet Kyle's father because it was the one we first saw and not the pathetic one that Winnick devised.

BTW if you hang out at Geoff John's boards you know Ron Marz post there. Know him? He created Kyle. He's stated that Kyle didn't have any true ethnical background when he was created but the last name was an Irish one. He used it because it sounded good.

Savitar on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wait, I thought Kyle's Hispanic (that's what it was!) dad was a former secret agent. Was he drawn white in the comic you refer too, and that's why you think the prior story's been abandoned?

P.S. I love how DC's forgotten that Connor Hawke is supposed to be part African, part Asian, and part European.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    It wasn't to make him PC

Didn't he/doesn't he use Green Arrow to give himself a soap box?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Wait, I thought Kyle's Hispanic (that's what it was!) dad was a former secret agent. Was he drawn white in the comic you refer too, and that's why you think the prior story's been abandoned?

P.S. I love how DC's forgotten that Connor Hawke is supposed to be part African, part Asian, and part European.

I was reading GA the other day and I was wondering why he was kinda...dark, to be Ollies kid.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    It wasn't to make him PC

Remember the reach around scene in the Real World? That was funny.
    robosagogo wrote:

They havent really forgotten. Just look at previews to his mini series coming up.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Both of the characters shown to be Kyle's father were secret agent's according to the their stories however the one we first saw still had Kyle's father with the government in some undisclosed role and the other one was hiding out as a simple painter. The first guy did not look hispanic at all, the second guy definitely was.

Savitar on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    It wasn't to make him PC

Didn't he/doesn't he use Green Arrow to give himself a soap box?

Yes, but it fits Ollie.

except for the katana

Garlic Bread on