As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] First time to PAX East? Read This!

12346»

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    zgamer200 wrote: »
    First time to Pax, I read the posts, so basically a backpack, some snacks and water, my DS and phone, and comfortable shoes will work? I'm only going Saturday(oh the hardships of being a highschooler), so I'd think that's plenty for just 1 day, but can never hurt to ask wiser and more experienced people on the forums.

Damn, I think you reduced that wall of text to one long sentence.

The only thing I would add is having a smartphone or something similar. Twitter and Guidebook will be your friends.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    duckerducker MARegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Docteh wrote: »
    Where do I get an MBTA card? Like can I get one at a/the station at the airport? (BOS)

Another thing im interested in is picking up some sort of SIM. I have an unlocked Nexus 4 and I'd like to get a prepaid phone for the week.

I *think* you can get a charlie card at any T station (that's the card that you can load with money and re-use over and over and over), but I know for a fact you can get a 7-day ride card (flat fee for a week of rides) at any T station (I do this for every East, grab it at the WTC station right under the Seaport hotel). As far as where to get a SIM, I have no clue.

That's pretty spot on, charlie cards used to be abundant when they came first came out, but these days they're a little more scarce. It's kind of a gamble whether you would find one or not.

Just to confirm - You can get them at ANY T station. And if you're figure you might ride 9 or more times, then you'll want to get a 7 day pass ($18) otherwise, it's just $2.00 a ride - which you can put on a card - again at any T station.

• Options
    Where do I get an MBTA card? Like can I get one at a/the station at the airport? (BOS)

Another thing im interested in is picking up some sort of SIM. I have an unlocked Nexus 4 and I'd like to get a prepaid phone for the week.

I *think* you can get a charlie card at any T station (that's the card that you can load with money and re-use over and over and over), but I know for a fact you can get a 7-day ride card (flat fee for a week of rides) at any T station (I do this for every East, grab it at the WTC station right under the Seaport hotel). As far as where to get a SIM, I have no clue.

That's pretty spot on, charlie cards used to be abundant when they came first came out, but these days they're a little more scarce. It's kind of a gamble whether you would find one or not.

Just to confirm - You can get them at ANY T station. And if you're figure you might ride 9 or more times, then you'll want to get a 7 day pass ($18) otherwise, it's just $2.00 a ride - which you can put on a card - again at any T station.

• Options
    TwiminyTwiminy Registered User regular
    I imagine it would be a good idea to contact your Friendly Local Financial Institution to let them know you're doing some traveling so your debit/credit card doesn't get locked up due to "suspicious purchases" when in reality it's just you somewhere else.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    ducker wrote: »

i do not believe you are correct. the mbta website has a list of specific stations and times where one can get a charlie card--to be clear, that is the plastic card, not charlie tickets, which can certainly be purchased at any station. the card is not necessary, but is more convenient and gives a small discount on regular fares (not passes).

when the charlie card program first began, you could usually find piles of cards just lying around at stations because they really wanted people to use them. now that the program has taken hold, this is not usually the case. still, if you ask attendants at stations not designated on the list, they may have a few hanging around that they can give you. as i said, matter of chance.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    marcos1161marcos1161 Registered User new member
    Do i have to pay im new but im not gonna have a pannal do i have to pay to enter someone answer me PLEAS!!

• Options
    My bad. The few stations I hit regularly are on the list... I totally assumed that all had those vending machines for the hard plastic cards.

Thanks for clearing it up tvethiopia!

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    marcos1161 wrote: »
    Do i have to pay im new but im not gonna have a pannal do i have to pay to enter someone answer me PLEAS!!

PAX is a paid event that is sold out, tickets were 35 dollar a day, or 70 for the weekend. Tickets are not sold through this forum, so if you were to try and attend you would need to pay for them elsewhere at the sellers prices.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    This is my first time going. I've always been more of a computer gamer but I'm interested in some of the board and card games. I currently don't own any and I'm woefully ignorant of how to play any of them. I know of Munchkin, Magic, Catan, etc, but I cannot call them familiar. Am I going to be completely out of my depth or are people generally amenable to teaching new players and if so what is the best way to approach it?

• Options
    I'm assuming people are open to teaching, that's just the way the community just is. Speaking as someone who's only really owned magic, Munchkin is a game you can pick up the basics of in 5 minutes or less, Catan is slightly more involved imo but not that difficult to pick up. Magic can be quite involved though, especially getting into constructed play, people can say what they want of Catan strategy, it's got nothing on MTG...I'm sure there is more than enough opportunity to get sucked into its cavernous depths while at PAX.

Careful though, or you'll wake up in a daze Monday morning covered in a green/red weenie deck, be out a few hundred dollars and not sure what happened.

• Options
    AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular
    Never been into card games unless they involve poker chips or some kind of consumption of alcohol. I love video games and socializing. What I'm looking forward most at PAX is meeting a ton of people from all walks of life. Might give a table top game a shot.

• Options
    donnanoblehasbeensaveddonnanoblehasbeensaved Falls Church, VARegistered User regular
    @RenegadeTK Also, in addition to the fact that the tabletop freeplay area/tabletop library is one big pile of people willing to try/teach new things, a lot of the games' publishers are going to be there (for example, Mayfair publishes Catan, WOTC publishes Magic, and both have a booth - can't remember if Steve Jackson Games is coming, but I've played demos with them before). The staff run constant demos and learn to play sessions throughout PAX - just wander around, see what you're interested in, and ask. A lot of times, even if they don't have a scheduled demo or play session, they're happy to walk you through the ropes. That's a big part of attending PAX for them - teaching new players, so that they can enjoy it and buy the games.

• Options
    @donnanoblehasbeensaved thank you for the heads up on that. I am definitely looking forward to the whole experience. I have the three day pass so I'm going to try to do a little bit of everything.

• Options
    @Coan Check, keep a cautious eye on Magic consumption.

• Options
    RenegadeTK wrote: »
    @Coan Check, keep a cautious eye on Magic consumption.

Unless you really get into it via the fun at the con, then by all means, whatever doesn't bankrupt you.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    @RenegadeTK Also, in addition to the fact that the tabletop freeplay area/tabletop library is one big pile of people willing to try/teach new things, a lot of the games' publishers are going to be there (for example, Mayfair publishes Catan, WOTC publishes Magic, and both have a booth - can't remember if Steve Jackson Games is coming, but I've played demos with them before). The staff run constant demos and learn to play sessions throughout PAX - just wander around, see what you're interested in, and ask. A lot of times, even if they don't have a scheduled demo or play session, they're happy to walk you through the ropes. That's a big part of attending PAX for them - teaching new players, so that they can enjoy it and buy the games.

I support this response. Here's some more stuff...

For MTG: Based on what I've seen every year, there should be a table dedicated to help people learn Magic: The Gathering which is sponsored by the tournament organizers. Speaking of tournaments, if you want to try casual MTG, check out the convention league. It's a good place to start for a long list of reasons that I will not enumerate. This tournament lasts all weekend long and if it's anything like the time I tried it myself you will not need to re-register to play on other days. If you want to learn how the game is played right away, I would strongly suggest you download the demo of Duel of the Planeswalker on either Steam, 360 or PS3. The game is also available on iPad. There is a very good interactive tutorial in there that should give you a real taste of what the game is like. Last but not least, there is also a promo deck that is (usually) included in the swag bags at PAX and they contain instructions. If you play on Steam, PM me and I will send you something that should help you out in this respect.

For board games: I wrote up a little tip on my blog that should help you go along. It would be too long to retype here, but the short version is that you could check out the manuals for games that interest you. You should be able to find them in PDF format online, if not, there are always a ton of people making videos on how to play said games. Also check out shows like Tabletop on Youtube.

mod edit: blog link removed.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    DualPixelsGlyneDualPixelsGlyne Registered User new member
    Thanks for all the information posted here guys. This is an extremely useful thread and should be carried on for future conventions. This will be my first PAX and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to meet a lot of you. Hopefully I'll be able to come out of my shell haha.

• Options
    Thanks for all the information posted here guys. This is an extremely useful thread and should be carried on for future conventions. This will be my first PAX and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to meet a lot of you. Hopefully I'll be able to come out of my shell haha.

PAX is the perfect place to come out of your shell. Welcome home!

This thread is indeed carried on. It is adapted for each PAX and evolves with each new show.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    NO SHELLS ALLOWED AT PAX. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, but what happens at PAX will be on YouTube in 20 minutes.

• Options
    Haha thanks a lot Frugus

• Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    NO SHELLS ALLOWED AT PAX. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, but what happens at PAX will be on YouTube in 20 minutes.

Oh...no pressure then.. ~.~