As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So tomorrow I'm going book shopping

SamiSami Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Social Entropy++
I need some new reading. Tomorrow my definite purchases are:

house_of_leaves.jpg

The list thus far

Buy: House of Leaves, The Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z
Borrow: Atlas Shrugged
Up in the air: The Fountainhead, Stranger in a Strange Land, Neuromancer, Snow Crash

I'll also probably get the new iPod, because ohmyjesusIwantitsobad. Any other books I need to buy/read?

Sami on

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Did you read The Fountainhead, Starship Troopers, Stranger In A Strange Land, or Mein Kampf? Or Snow Crash? Or Neuromancer?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ayn Rand?

Seriously?

Javen on
    edited September 2006
    Wins for House of Leaves

loses so HARD for Atlus Shrugged

ayn rand is a fucking hack

Does "hack" mean "a good writer"? If so, you're right.

Drez on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ayn Rand is so hot.

Cue bannable erotic story.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Depends, what are your interests/hobbies?

Also, I recommend book shopping online, its not as fun as going to the book store sometimes but it can be cheaper.

Newtron on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kadith wrote:
    Ayn Rand is so hot.

You're thinking of Ann Coulter.

Or possible Cheney/Rumsfeld.

Javen on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Did you read The Fountainhead, Starship Troopers, Stranger In A Strange Land, or Mein Kampf? Or Snow Crash? Or Neuromancer?

That's a resounding no for all of what you listed. I only decided this summer to start reading again and I didn't really read too much before I stopped.

Sami on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Man, fuck Ayn Rand.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Definite Purchase #1 is clearly correct.

Sheri on
    edited September 2006

[Deleted User] on
    edited September 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Kadith wrote:
    Ayn Rand is so hot.

You're thinking of Ann Coulter.

Or possible Cheney/Rumsfeld.

It's all Ann to me.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
    edited September 2006
    I'd hate fuck ann coulter

you'd hate fuck a dude? oh, the faggot side

Sami on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    World War Z

Speaking of which, was that one copy ever really passed around

Because I was supposed to be the 2nd guy to get it

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sheri wrote:

Did Ornstein ever make you guys read Ayn Rand? I think Emily or Becky suggested it. I think I almost smacked her across the room.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sheri wrote:

Did Ornstein ever make you guys read Ayn Rand? I think Emily or Becky suggested it. I think I almost smacked her across the room.

No, instead we read Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse. Emily's fault. I don't hold it against her, though.

Sheri on
    edited September 2006
    Sami wrote:
    Drez wrote:

That's a resounding no for all of what you listed. I only decided this summer to start reading again and I didn't really read too much before I stopped.

I never read Atlus Shrugged, but Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books. Lots of multi-page monologues, but an excellent novel.

If you like philosophy and science fiction whatsoever, then Stranger In A Strange Land and Neuromancer are must-reads. I think Neuromancer should be read just for the literary style alone.

I was kidding about Mein Kampf.

Snow Crash is pretty good.

Drez on
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    God, go check Rand out at a library. It's the Objectivist thing to do, as you will lose no capital and have more to spend on liquor once you realize you wasted hours on what amounts to one-dimentional characters used to spew forth hundreds of pages of Ayn Rand's shitacular views.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Threadbare SockThreadbare Sock regular
    edited September 2006
    TFS have you read anything by ayn rand or are you just saying what those you agree with say. dont lie to me young man

[spoiler:11fad2de98]i havent read anything by her[/spoiler:11fad2de98]

Threadbare Sock on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOOT SWEATERS
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Get Heroe's Die.

It has nothing to do with anything but it is an awesome read.

Bloods End on
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dude. If you are going to read Ayn Rand. Don't be that douche that starts spouting challkboard libertarian beliefs everywhere because you read Ayn FUCKING Rand and now you think you are so fucking smart.

I am currently reading Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase For Lincoln's Killer I like history.

FortyTwo on
    edited September 2006
    I didnt like neuromancer

it is probably because all of the cool stuff he made up has become fairly common elsewhere and the book lost its neat factor by the time I read it

Threadbare Sock on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOOT SWEATERS
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Sami wrote:
    Drez wrote:

I never read Atlus Shrugged, but Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books. Lots of multi-page monologues, but an excellent novel.

If you like philosophy and science fiction whatsoever, then Stranger In A Strange Land and Neuromancer are must-reads. I think Neuromancer should be read just for the literary style alone.

I was kidding about Mein Kampf.

Snow Crash is pretty good.

I plan to read Mein Kampf someday, for the historical perspective. Its probably one of the most important books in history, I might as well read it.

I thought Snow Crash was good, but dragged too much towards the end. Dune for me is a true classic worth looking into.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited September 2006

[Deleted User] on
    edited September 2006

[Deleted User] on
    edited September 2006
    Ok, so Atlas Shrugged is off of the "buy" list and onto the "borrow" list.

Buy: House of Leaves
    Borrow: Atlas Shrugged

Up in the air: The Fountainhead, Stranger in a Strange Land, Neuromancer, Snow Crash, World War Z

Sami on
    edited September 2006
    Or, don't listen to anyone here, including me, and go pick up the book and judge it for yourself. A lot of people hate Ayn Rand and her views. I'm no Objectivist, but the novel is one of my absolute favorites. And I'm not alone in that.

On a side note, to the AR haters: isn't it also good and intelligent to read about things that we may not like? I don't know, to round out our knowledge, maybe get a better assessment of the world and how other people think? I've read about some disgusting philosophies out there and never felt as if my time were wasted. I just felt more educated afterward and felt better about my own moral pursuits.

Drez on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My last trip to the bookstore I picked up a neat book titled "What If?" Much like the comics it wonders what if certain historic events had happened differently. Some examples are "what if Jesus had not been sentenced to death?" or "What if Lincoln had never freed the slaves. So far is been pretty interesting. Its sort of an old book but id suggest it if you have'nt read it.

Marathon on
    edited September 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    Sheri wrote:

No, instead we read Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse. Emily's fault. I don't hold it against her, though.

I suggested Lord of the Rings and Calvin and Hobbes. It seems he didn't take my suggestions.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    layla miller reads atlas shrugged

DJ Eebs on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    0820469173.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1107961007_.jpg

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Reading is for faggots anyways.

Buy some DVDs.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Also, though they are technically middle-school books:

The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger. Great books. You can read all three in one day.

A Wrinkle In Time is a great childrens book, which you can probably read in the time it takes to do a dookie.

Drez on
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oh, I never said don't read it. I merely said don't buy it. I had a friend who would buy books when we were minutes from a giantic dang library, and he didn't just want them the night before essays were due. He coulda had so much beer moneys. D:

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    0671019872.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:wink:

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I flippled through House of Leaves at the bookstore. There seemed to be a lot of notes in it, but the description made it sound like a story.

Bloods End on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really enjoyed "We The Living"

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited September 2006
    HAY GUYS MY NEW MP3 PLAYER CAME WITH 3 FREE AUDIO BOOK DOWNLOADS TELL ME WHICH ONES TO NOTBUY BECAUSE THEY ARE FREE

Threadbare Sock on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOOT SWEATERS
  • XythXyth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I read the title of this thread, and came in here with the intention of telling you to buy House of leaves, but I see it was not required. Good work soldier, you may proceed.

Xyth on
    slothsig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Dely Apple wrote:
    Oh, I never said don't read it. I merely said don't buy it. I had a friend who would buy books when we were minutes from a giantic dang library, and he didn't just want them the night before essays were due. He coulda had so much beer moneys. D:

Oh.

Yes, books are expensive. Very expensive. It's kind of sad. :(

It's kind of good in a way because I'm an aspiring writer myself, so I'm glad there's a real industry there, but 30 dollars for a new book is a little fucking stupid in my opinion, and many OLD books aren't even on 7-8 dollar paperback, you have to buy a 15-dollar trade paperback.

Drez on