As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Train Alliance 2013: Metal Gear Line (Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Albany, Boston)

• tangentiatangentia Registered User regular
    chlsebrz wrote: »
    Someone should definetly bring Jenga. I would but mine was sacrificed in an unfortunate drinking game.
    I am totally bringing Jenga on the train. Also, PAX is so soon!

• the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    Woo! A day and a half before we leave to get on the train!

A couple questions if someone doesn't mind (I don't know why I didn't ask before). My group has never been on the train before, but given the time we're leaving we aren't allowed to check baggage because it's too early. How easy to get to are our carry on bags? Do they go above/below our seats, or are they all stacked in one part of the train, or how is that handled? I'm planning on taking a duffel bag for clothes and snacks, a backpack for all my games, and a laptop bag for my bag that doesn't count toward the 2 bag limit, but I wasn't sure how easily I could get in and out of the duffel bag and backpack to get games, snacks, a power strip, etc.

Updated Games You're Bringing: Zombie Dice, Pandemic, Tsuro, Castle Panic, Smallworld Underground, Boss Monster (PNP), MtG, Chez Greek, maybe Dominion, and 3DS (Mario Kart, Street Fighter, Pokemon White 2, and Monster Hunter).

Dominion is a toss-up because of how large it is - would anybody be super interested in playing on the train as opposed to just waiting until one of the board game nights when you get to Boston or in the tabletop freeplay area? I know it's a great game with tons of replayability, but it's just so big I'm not sure if I should try to cram it into my bags (I could bring base, intrigue, or dark ages).

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Woo! A day and a half before we leave to get on the train!

A couple questions if someone doesn't mind (I don't know why I didn't ask before). My group has never been on the train before, but given the time we're leaving we aren't allowed to check baggage because it's too early. How easy to get to are our carry on bags? Do they go above/below our seats, or are they all stacked in one part of the train, or how is that handled? I'm planning on taking a duffel bag for clothes and snacks, a backpack for all my games, and a laptop bag for my bag that doesn't count toward the 2 bag limit, but I wasn't sure how easily I could get in and out of the duffel bag and backpack to get games, snacks, a power strip, etc.

Updated Games You're Bringing: Zombie Dice, Pandemic, Tsuro, Castle Panic, Smallworld Underground, Boss Monster (PNP), MtG, Chez Greek, maybe Dominion, and 3DS (Mario Kart, Street Fighter, Pokemon White 2, and Monster Hunter).

Dominion is a toss-up because of how large it is - would anybody be super interested in playing on the train as opposed to just waiting until one of the board game nights when you get to Boston or in the tabletop freeplay area? I know it's a great game with tons of replayability, but it's just so big I'm not sure if I should try to cram it into my bags (I could bring base, intrigue, or dark ages).

Carryons are right above your seat, and there's tons of room up there, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like on a plane, it's basically a shelf with a rope fence.
    Dominion was a hit a couple years ago when I brought it. But yeah, it takes about half a suitcase by itself.

• slyvagabondslyvagabond Registered User new member
    Name: Michael
    Twitter:
    Boarding Stop:Chicago Union Station
    Ticket Purchased:YES
    Games You're Bringing:3ds( Kingdom hearts 358/2 and DDD, code princess, Mario Kart 7, maybe monster hunter and many more)
    PS Vita (Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, AC Liberation, Dungeon Hunter: Alliance,FF:tactics, and probably rachet and clank FFassault, and many more)
    Maybe a magic deck

If anyone getting on at Chicago Union Station wants to meet up before hand I am more than happy to do so!

antherem wrote: »
    Carryons are right above your seat, and there's tons of room up there, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like on a plane, it's basically a shelf with a rope fence.
    Dominion was a hit a couple years ago when I brought it. But yeah, it takes about half a suitcase by itself.
    Awesome, thanks! I'll pack the rest of my stuff and see how much room I have, but if I can get in my duffel bag I may just bring a suitcase instead that's a bit larger and pack some extra games in there :D

• aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, we're allowed to check bags at Cleveland. Is there a checked bag area under the train like on buses? How likely is it that my beer will break?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    aikoe wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, we're allowed to check bags at Cleveland. Is there a checked bag area under the train like on buses? How likely is it that my beer will break?
    It's a separate car, you wait at that car when you get to Boston to pick up your bags. Don't check anything fragile or valuable, that's what your carryons are for.

I just checked the Amtrak site again. Either they updated the hours for the station or I read it incorrectly before, but before I could have sworn the checked baggage hours showed something like 'Noon to 6:30pm'. Good to know baggage can be checked from the hours now shown.

antherem wrote: »
    It's a separate car, you wait at that car when you get to Boston to pick up your bags. Don't check anything fragile or valuable, that's what your carryons are for.

The problem with that is how I'm going to explain to them why I'm lugging several packs of beer onto a train. That, and I don't have a carry-on that will fit said beer.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
  • rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    updated game list Wootopoly, Dixit, fluxx, cthulhu fluxx, star fluxx, Back to the Future The Card Game, bananagrams, regular playing cards, and ground floor.

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    @the_fuzzy_penguin are you sure you are bringing pandemic? If so, I will leave mine at home.

@the_fuzzy_penguin are you sure you are bringing pandemic? If so, I will leave mine at home.
    @AsmodeusLore - Yep, I've already got it in my backpack along with the other games I mentioned. I also have expansion with me minus the bio-terrorist stuff as there wasn't room in the box for it. But this way we can play with 5 people!

Is there a certain car everybody is going to get in? We are hoping to be there by 4:30ish so I'm sure we'll see people as they arrive, but I didn't know if there was somewhere we should try to go.

edited March 2013
    Is there a certain car everybody is going to get in? We are hoping to be there by 4:30ish so I'm sure we'll see people as they arrive, but I didn't know if there was somewhere we should try to go.
    It's my first year, so I'm not certain, but I believe the dining car is generally where people will gather for sit-down games. We should try to be considerate of the non-gamers though, and leave some space open during busy meal times. At the very least, we should make sure we are paying customers during that time.

AsmodeusLore on
    Thanks, sounds like we'll migrate there. I've heard that as well, so it sounds like a plan (plus there will already be some PAX goers on the train by the time we get on so it shouldn't be hard to find them. I agree with being considerate of others and leaving some open space during meal times - maybe that will be a good time to get a small nap (I can dream, right?).

• KapolKapol Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that the rear car was where we all meet up.

I'll be wearing a PAX scarf and with a 6'5" guy, so I imagine I'll be pretty easy to find at Cleveland. Gravitate toward us. We don't mind.

I heard that the rear car was where the taking of seats occurred and the dining car was where the playing of games occurred, but I've never done this before so I am not the best source of information. I plan to just wander the train with whoever I happen to run into at Cleveland until we find other suitably nerdy-looking folk. Then pass out for a few hours.

See you all in 9 hours! I'm already so tired please kill me

I'll be wearing a PAX scarf and with a 6'5" guy, so I imagine I'll be pretty easy to find at Cleveland. Gravitate toward us. We don't mind.

I heard that the rear car was where the taking of seats occurred and the dining car was where the playing of games occurred, but I've never done this before so I am not the best source of information. I plan to just wander the train with whoever I happen to run into at Cleveland until we find other suitably nerdy-looking folk. Then pass out for a few hours.

See you all in 9 hours! I'm already so tired please kill me
    With you and Kapol both saying the rear of the train I'm willing to head that way. I'm a 6'4" guy myself, and will have a bright green Under Armor beanie on since I decided to shave my head for some reason. Gravitate we shall!

I'm solo-ing and getting on at the Rochester stop, but I'll also be wearing a PAX scarf (short asian female). I'll check out the dining car first and hope to find some of you there!

• radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I decided to gut some of my game boxes to make them easier to jam into a bag. We're getting on at Toledo. I'll have the Spaceteam hat.

Name: Radjago
    Twitter: @radjago
    Boarding Stop: Toledo, OH
    Games You're Bringing:

Catan
    Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
    Forbidden Island
    Flash Point
    Fluxx/Family Fluxx deck
    Lost Cities
    Pandemic w/ expansion
    Race for the Galaxy

Various games on iPad (Spaceteam assemble!)

radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
    We just boarded in Toledo and there's not a soul to be found in the cafe car. Come find me in the car directly behind it for some games. Aisle seat with a Spaceteam beanie hat and red 1981 hoodie.

• KapolKapol Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    -

Kapol on
    I'm surprised it was in Toledo that soon. Been waiting in Cleveland for an hour and it isn't supposed to get here for another 30 minutes. The station here is still pretty empty but should fill up some soon, I'm guessing.

Station get! Where my train bros at?

Just left CLE 1 minute late. Now, where is this dining car...

The dining car is at the rear, but that's different from the cafe car. I just walked the length of the train. There are two cafe cars. Judging by the number of screens, it looks like most of the PAX people are in the very front coach car.

First world PAX Train problems: too hungry to sleep, too tired to get up and find food.

Also, it's really hard to sleep in these coach seats.

Completely agree with you on the sleeping thing @aikoe - these seats weren't built for the tall.

@the_fuzzy_penguin where you at bro? I am on board and heading to dining car now that the breakfast service is done.

FYI the pax people are in the front most cafe car.

Including myself. Nice to meet you @AsmodeusLore

I need to head back there eventually but I keep making desperate, mostly failed attempts to sleep. I'll make it! At... Some point...

If you see a bleary-eyed blonde girl in a Tron hoodie, that's me.

@AsmodeusLore When are you planning on running your D&D game? I'm interested in playing if there's still room!

I plan to play a game of pandemic in the next hour or so. Look for a DND game in the afternoon and evening.

Alrighty, Sounds good! I've never played Pandemic before, but I'm attempting to finish up some work before having any fun...

edited March 2013
    DND game in front cafe car at 2pm

AsmodeusLore on
    @tangentia I have a seat saved for you.

@AsmodeusLore Good timing! I just finished my work! Now to find the cafe car...

I might come back to watch. I've been interested in it but have only ever played one of the board games one time, so it would be fun to see a real game

Congrats to Tangentia for being the first female to win the Omegathon! Pax Train is proud of you.