As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Bi-weekly updates to living story continue. Lots of good stuff coming!

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can call 20 man zerg v zerg deathmatch "GvG". Just sayin'.

Hows that, are guilds not involved?

Would you rather it be called Raid V Raid?

We're fielding more men than a football team.

(Unless you're getting at the fact that you think it's too many people, in which case you probably shouldn't be playing World Vs. World)

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I think he was saying that 10 people per side (20-man total) wasn't sufficiently epic to be called guild vs guild.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Or maybe that, since you tend to see a mixture of members of different guilds on each side, it's not entirely GvG.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    GvG has flags and guild lords and objectives. 20v20 is glorified random arena with extra people.

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    So a party of us did Arah Path 4 last night. Just as terrible as I remember it being but we finished it eventually.

Highlights, and I use that term in the worst possible way.
    Spiders
    Shark
    Surprise Risen Elementalist
    Swimming Spiders
    Flying Shark
    Death by Frogger
    Deathball Interceptions
    Cross map Wraith attack
    Petrification
    Fighting a Big Red Stone

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Basically, now is the time to do as many of the events as possible, and just sit on the rares. Once the patch comes out, then see what the price settles at and sell at that.

yes but I am hoarding ectos at the moment

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    So a party of us did Arah Path 4 last night. Just as terrible as I remember it being but we finished it eventually.
    I was in that group. I described it as "ripping off the band-aid", since we knew we would never do this path again after the first time and that there'd be nothing worse on our trek to the dungeon master achievement.

I'll add with some abridged quotes from the highlights.
    Spiders
    Blackberry: "Oh god! If I go too far in, the spiders will eat me, but if I jump in the water, the shark will eat me!"
    Me: "Why the hell did you run into the hall and pull the spiders!?"
    Blackberry: "BECAUSE THE SHARK WAS FLYING"
    Shark
    Dru: "Is this the shark that killed you guys while I was running back?"
    Me: "Not me, I got eaten by the spiders!"
    Dru: "What the hell, it's not even a champion. Look, he just hit me once and"
    *party gets wiped out in an instant*
    Dru: "I hate you all so much right now"
    Surprise Risen Elementalist
    Me: "All right guys, running ahead to - whoops, found the army. Well, this group doesn't look all that - oh, I didn't see that elementalist. Anyone bring a reflect skill?"
    Rest of the group: "You pulled the elementalist already!?"
    Me: "What? These things die in like 2 seconds, lemme just-"
    *instantly downed*
    Me: "Oh yeah. I'm not on my mesmer. :("
    Swimming Spiders
    Blackberry: "Crap, they're still following me! Why does nothing in this dungeon leash!?"
    Me: "Just die already so we can waypoint!"
    Blackberry: "It's fine! Look, the spiders are starting to go away!"
    Itegami: "Actually, they're just bouncing back."
    Blackberry: "I CAN'T KEEP SWIMMING AWAY oh there's the shark"
    Flying Shark
    Entire group: "Why does nothing in this dungeon fucking leash!?"
    Death by Frogger
    Who: "There should be a safe spot in here somewhere."
    Me: "Melee's safe, right?"
    Who: "No, the things gravitate towards him, and-"
    Me: "What sorry I'm not listening I'm a greatsword warrior bye"
    *downed in 2 seconds*
    Me: "HALP"
    Who: *facepalm*
    Deathball Interceptions
    Itegami: "All right, I'm gonna start us off. Here Dru, your turn"
    Dru: "All right, I'm gonna pass off the ball to Blackberry"
    Itegami: "!?"
    Dru: "Uhh"
    Itegami: "Hold on a sec, passing it to Blackberry"
    Dru: "You just passed it back to me!"
    Me: "I'm open, pass it over!"
    Itegami: "wat"
    Me: "Stop running with him so he can pass it off!"
    Itegami: "but I have the ball!"
    They made it about 3/4ths of the way before Itegami finally ran out of HP.
    Cross map Wraith attack
    Itegami: "Ah darn it, disconnected."
    Me: "Yeah, shows you offline. Hop back in when you can"
    Itegami: "Already did, and I'm outside the dungeon. You guys still fighting the wraiths?"
    Me: "Yeah, you probably won't be able to waypoint."
    Itegami: "That's fine, I'll just run back."
    Itegami: "Uh, guys?"
    Rest of group: "How the fuck"
    Me: "Well it's fine, the debuff won't work if the wraith is out of LOS right?"
    *Itegami downed*
    Me: "fml"
    Petrification
    Me: "Gazed"
    *Blackberry tosses up stability*
    *I toss up stability*
    Me: "Gazed, fml"
    *petrified*
    Blackberry: "Got ya"
    *I toss up stability*
    Me: "Gazed. I can dodge this right?"
    *petrified in an awesome pose*
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    *I toss up stability*
    Dru: "Gazed"
    *petrified*
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    *downed*
    Me: "Can't move"
    Itegami: "Gotcha"
    *I toss up stability*
    Me: "Gazed, fml"
    *petrified*

...time passes...

*I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    Dru: "Gazed"
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    Who: "Got ya"
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    *I toss up stability*
    *petrified*
    Group: "FUCK YES BOSS IS DOWN FINALLY"
    Me: "HOORAY NO MORE PETRIFICATION MECHANICS"
    Fighting a Big Red Stone

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    woah hey, is gw2crafts.net down!? HOW WILL I LEVEL CRAFTING NOW

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    I believe Delmain is going to the D&D dinner so I'll see him there.

Geod, what kind of things might I bump into you at?

Not sure really. I'll be at the Westin game night, but otherwise just doing random things and possibly herding around some friends who haven't been to PAX.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    GvG has flags and guild lords and objectives. 20v20 is glorified random arena with extra people.

ok well when you think of a better term for two guilds fighting each other in an organized fashion let me know

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    zerg v zerg.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    zerg v zerg.

The best (worst) matchup.
    Said the Zerg player

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Naengwen, that was the best post I have ever read.

Fantastic
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »
    GODS is pretty inflexible. Ive seen their groups wiped out by much smaller numbers that I honestly think very little of them at the moment. (kaineng perspective here).

I haven't been on lately (playing Tomb Raider and Ni No Kuni), but I can totally see how that would happen. The leadership of [GODS] has a real solid grasp of the strategic part of WvW but they really don't understand the tactical part of flexibilty. For example, couple weeks ago it was "mesmer night" and everyone was told to run (or make) a mesmer and run a specific build. A couple days later it was "thief night" and we were all told to bring out our thiefs.

They sure do know how to put the zerg in the right place to put pressure on a map though! They've got some great scouting and planning minds in there.

Is [PRO] still around? There were a bunch of them that just sprung out of nowhere when world transfers closed down a few weeks ago. Are they still active?

I'm still killing people with [PRO] tags so, i would say yes.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Arah Path 4

Sounds about right. That path is just tortuous. I am SO glad I have my Dungeon Master achievement so I don't need to go in there ever again.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Rolled with a group of them last night when trying to get my daily done. Seemed ok; don't rez like every other terrible PvPer.

• Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    zerg v zerg.

The best (worst) matchup.
    Said the Zerg player

Skritt = zerglings
    Minotaur = Ultralisks

Suddenly the world makes sense again

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Finally getting back in to this now that my girlfriend has her gaming computer. Any general tips or things that would be good to know for the leveling process beyond completing story objectives? So far it seems mostly straight forward-

Step 1: Look for something shiny/interesting in the distance
    Step 2: Wander in that direction
    Step 3: Stumble on events and things that need doing
    Step 4: Profit

I am about to look up crafting guides because I love me some crafting but the system doesn't seem that intuitive (at least at first glance). I am still 100% clueless on how dungeons/group content works beyond the group events I happen to find, is there a set level I should be thinking about this stuff?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Dungeons don't really start till 35+. You can do AC story at 30, but it's not worth running twice unless you are helping someone else run it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    Finally getting back in to this now that my girlfriend has her gaming computer. Any general tips or things that would be good to know for the leveling process beyond completing story objectives? So far it seems mostly straight forward-

Step 1: Look for something shiny/interesting in the distance
    Step 2: Wander in that direction
    Step 3: Stumble on events and things that need doing
    Step 4: Profit

I am about to look up crafting guides because I love me some crafting but the system doesn't seem that intuitive (at least at first glance). I am still 100% clueless on how dungeons/group content works beyond the group events I happen to find, is there a set level I should be thinking about this stuff?

Crafting is http://gw2crafts.net/
    Running dungeons can be done cross-server, this is the website everyone who is looking for a group goes to: http://gw2lfg.com/

Dungeons are fun to do and net you huge piles of exp. You receive mails from NPCs once you reach the appropriate level for a dungeon. Dungeons are very difficult compared to dicking around in group events. You'll have to bring your A-game and dodge like a pro. Make sure to mention whether it's your first time in a dungeon, because it will save you a lot of annoyances as you're trying to learn to fly while being this guy but without the parachute.
    l7fK1og.jpg

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I think I've finally settled on the Engineer after some weeks testing the necro and elementalist. Something about pistols and bombs, man. Upside is I'm pretty sure I can run Metric province blindfolded now. I *really* need to go do the Norn starting zone with this guy (or anywhere that's not Asuraland).

• Options
    I think I've finally settled on the Engineer after some weeks testing the necro and elementalist. Something about pistols and bombs, man. Upside is I'm pretty sure I can run Metric province blindfolded now. I *really* need to go do the Norn starting zone with this guy (or anywhere that's not Asuraland).
    Yeah, these classes are tough to pick between. Still torn between Mesmer and Necromancer, hoping that hopping between the two will help me see the light for a main.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yeah, these classes are tough to pick between. Still torn between Mesmer and Necromancer, hoping that hopping between the two will help me see the light for a main.

I hear ya. My original "main" before I took an extended break, was a mesmer. Great minds and all that. =P

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I need two new races so I can make some more alts without running through the same story or using the same female voice actor.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Okay, after receiving feedback and trying it out, the tentative Guild Mission schedule is now looking final-ish.

Final-ish Guild Mission Schedule

Main Event: Saturday, 7pm PST (with SAO)

Bonus Runs:
    Wednesday, Noon PST
    Wednesday, 7pm PST
    Friday, 9pm PST

Our first Guild Trek will be after Friday's bonus run on the 29th. After that Guild Trek will likely be Saturday nights. There's no real need to do bonus runs of those since they only award merits, not commendations.

Also, SAO failed their Bounty on Saturday night and may need our help to make it up on Friday. I suggest that we turn our Friday bonus run into a help-SAO-run, but I won't be there personally so it's up to whoever is running it to decide if they want to go that route or not.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    They unfortunately failed Sunday night as well. Or was it Friday and Saturday? They missed out twice, but a few of us helped both times.

Out of curiosity, if we both start our bounty hunt at the same time and get the same target, as long as someone from each guild gets kill credit, it counts for both bounty hunts?

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

I hear ya. My original "main" before I took an extended break, was a mesmer. Great minds and all that. =P

Necro's overall pretty easy to level with. I found them very lacking at level 80 though, but YMMV.

Engineer was I think my 2nd level 80. I think they're awesome thematically. I just didn't like how their grenades were pretty much their most powerful thing. Mostly because I just hate how much clicking that requires. When I finally come back to GW2, Engineer will probably be the class I come back to though. Flamethrower is super fun. I think I never would have stopped playing them if mortar launcher had a higher range.

Mesmer's are pretty awesome overall. They're especially hilarious in WvW. They're basically the troll class but never quite feel like a bullshit class.

• Options
    VahkrisVahkris TexasRegistered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Okay, after receiving feedback and trying it out, the tentative Guild Mission schedule is now looking final-ish.

Final-ish Guild Mission Schedule

Main Event: Saturday, 7pm PST (with SAO)

Bonus Runs:
    Wednesday, Noon PST
    Wednesday, 7pm PST
    Friday, 9pm PST

Our first Guild Trek will be after Friday's bonus run on the 29th. After that Guild Trek will likely be Saturday nights. There's no real need to do bonus runs of those since they only award merits, not commendations.

Also, SAO failed their Bounty on Saturday night and may need our help to make it up on Friday. I suggest that we turn our Friday bonus run into a help-SAO-run, but I won't be there personally so it's up to whoever is running it to decide if they want to go that route or not.

Hmmm, looks like Saturday and Wednesday nights are my best bet to do missions. Those other times are not possible for me.

• Options
    Who is SAO? I've never heard of them or played with them? A guild from a friend of a friend or somesuch?

• Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Who is SAO? I've never heard of them or played with them? A guild from a friend of a friend or somesuch?

SAO is another guild on Fort Aspenwood who we have been working with over the past few weeks with regards to guild bounties. We've developed a pretty good relationship with them, and anytime one of us needs up the other usually spares a few folks. They're pretty friendly too!

Since they failed their "main" bounty (the T6 one) the plan is that on Friday we are going to give them as much help as we can. Anyone in our guild who needs their weekly reward will get it, and they can get their merits for the week. Win win!

• Options
    This bond formed pretty organically when both guilds were attempting to run a T3 guild bounty at the same time; we all scouted the maps out and helped them to get their kills in, even if they failed to find one of them. From there we made an alliance. Good folks over there for sure :D

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I think I should be around for the Friday bounty to help SAO out.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    i just got my necro to 80, but haven't really played him at 80. i'm working on my engi now, as i want to play him in WvW.

looking over my characters though, i need so many runs of CoF, or anywhere else that has berserker stats, to gear them out the way i want :P

edit: i think it actually might be easier to run CoF, get rares to salvage, and craft my own, with the money that i make.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    The end game necro is actually what has me leaning towards my Mesmer. In the teens/20's, I am liking the necro better, but the end game options for a Mesmer seem a lot more diversified and fun than a Necromancer. I enjoy classes that can do a lot with buffs/debuffs, so both sort of fit that bill.

Anyone really love their end-game necro?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Necro's overall pretty easy to level with. I found them very lacking at level 80 though, but YMMV.

Engineer was I think my 2nd level 80. I think they're awesome thematically. I just didn't like how their grenades were pretty much their most powerful thing. Mostly because I just hate how much clicking that requires. When I finally come back to GW2, Engineer will probably be the class I come back to though. Flamethrower is super fun. I think I never would have stopped playing them if mortar launcher had a higher range.

Mesmer's are pretty awesome overall. They're especially hilarious in WvW. They're basically the troll class but never quite feel like a bullshit class.

Flamethrower and Bomb Kit have both been improved, and I'm at the point where I actually prefer flamethrower to 'nades. Grenades actually got nerf'd, iirc (also their reliance on condition damage isn't great).

Turrets still suck. All that being said, I have a friend who runs almost entirely Pistol/Shield and another who uses Rifle only with no kits at all, and they do really well for themselves.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    The end game necro is actually what has me leaning towards my Mesmer. In the teens/20's, I am liking the necro better, but the end game options for a Mesmer seem a lot more diversified and fun than a Necromancer. I enjoy classes that can do a lot with buffs/debuffs, so both sort of fit that bill.

My only 80 is a necro. I haven't been kicked from any groups if that's what you're worried about. Damage is lots of little numbers that fly by very fast and you get to debuff bosses to hell and back, so that's always nifty to remember as you're running around.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

My only 80 is a necro. I haven't been kicked from any groups if that's what you're worried about. Damage is lots of little numbers that fly by very fast and you get to debuff bosses to hell and back, so that's always nifty to remember as you're running around.

I've always been kind of curious about this, as I've heard of people being kicked from groups. There still aren't any damage meters or parsing tools in GW2, right? I mean, how do people tell if you are terribad? Do they sit there and watch how long it takes you to kill something or inspect your build, consult a nerd matrix, and make a judgement call? I mean, I don't like to suck, but if and when I do, I'd like my shame to be strictly self-generated. Obviously, I'd hate to let down a team, but I'd also rather not run with a group of raging minmaxer dickbags who see anything less than perfect as a personal insult.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    It's mostly limited to CoF Exp. Path 1 Speed Runs.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I don't PUG myself, but from what I've heard, most group kicks I hear about seem to be 1) dickbags kicking people right before the final chest just to be dickbags or 2) dickbags kicking somebody for not playing the FOTM "best" build for a particular class even if that person's build is perfectly fine.

I have never had any trouble with any of that kind of behaviour in the guild. All the NICE people I've run with have been quite nice, even if I fail at jumping or get lost in Twilight Arbor. :)

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

Kind of depends on what you want to do with them. They're not the best (or even top 3) in anything but I don't think they're the worst in anything either except maybe mobility. I'd have to say based on my own experiences that they're the most boring class in the game. Dungeons as a power necro look like this: run into melee, use dagger 1 until it dies. Condition necros I don't know as much about. I understand they have a lot more options. But I didn't want to spend hours regearing once I found out how simple power necros tend to be.

I'd say take a close look at their utility skills and see if there's anything there you just love. I found that most of them had prohibitively long cooldowns, making the class somewhat less interactive than most other classes. They're the opposite of Engineers and Elementalists in that sense. Those two classes are constantly doing something: switching attunements, swapping kits, using utilities, etc. A power necro is usually just: throw down one or two wells, auto attack.

I will say my Charr Necro looks fucking badass though. And I did get my dungeon master title through my necro. If you only ever play a necro you might find them to be great, and they're not bad in a vacuum, they just suffer by comparison.

This discussion has been closed.