As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Enrichment] - Show Your Work

2»

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    this is how I go through things

55679652.jpg

17425187.jpg

17882451.jpg

na29_by_anondum-d5yi2t4.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I might work on this some more but here's what I've got

u4bwRg6.gif

YA98zPK.jpg

About 2 and a half hours so far.

Reference

Flay on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    That is a pretty great reference, got all kinds of good stuff going on. I might steal it and do my own study!

Is your work process usually that "patchy" Flay? You might find it easier if you put in some extra time in the early stages to nail down a well proportioned basic drawing before you start massing in values. The drawing doesn't have to be super detailed since you can work that in while rendering later, but I feel it helps to get a more tangible blueprint down during the early work when doing this kind of very careful study.

I also would encourage you to start thinking about edges a little earlier in your process, especially with something like a very tenderly sculpted piece of marble. I hope you continue working on it, because the real "meat" of doing this kind of study is the stuff you haven't actually gotten to on your piece yet.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Flay: Agreed with Scosglen about the patchiness. It's easier to start out by nailing big general shapes, which it appears you started out doing, but then it's important to make sure those are accurate before trying to add in all of the smaller things. The smaller things can't be right if the big things they fit into aren't right. Another thing about the patchiness is that your big areas of value start to break up. Remember to keep comparing values across the entire cast, checking what's lighter/darker, and pulling together the big areas. The cast is in general one large object being lit from one direction. Don't lose your sense of that when you start including info about all of the smaller planes.
    Please keep working on it!

E:

There's not much more that I want to do with this one.

momanddad4.jpg

momanddadprogress.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys! I don't really have a typical workflow since I haven't done a whole lot of digital (or traditional) painting. I really wish I'd done a sketch before I started, nailing down the exact position of those forms early has been the main thing I've taken away from this study. My objective at the outset was to practice picking out tones by eye, and I was so focused on that I neglected the other parts, I think.

I was starting to feel like I was just making the image worse, but if there's more to be learned here then I'll keep going with it.

Flay on
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    What have you added in the third picture (the one that looks blue) lyrium?

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    @lyrium I find myself wanting some more sharply defined edges in there amidst all the fuzziness. I'm guessing the whole thing was done mostly with charcoal and chalk "sticks", but some nicely sharpened charcoal and chalk pencils can give you really crisp edges that might punch your focal areas up substantially.

@Flay Try loading up a basic soft round brush set to pressure sensitive opacity or flow and try to make some of those value transitions as soft as they are in your reference.

@Halen The paper itself is gray-blue, it's just different exposures from the camera lyrium's using that are changing it slightly.

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I'm not sure. Looks like there's more white. I wondered if it was chalk.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Yep, the paper is blue- the first two pictures are just paper+charcoal, and I added white chalk in the third picture. I'll sharpen my charcoal up a little and try to finish it off, Scos.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Apologies in advance, the spreads are white and might not show the borders of pages

Table of Contents process and variations
    screenshot20130321at414.png
    screenshot20130321at415.png
    screenshot20130321at416.png

Introduction/Tutorial Section variations
    screenshot20130321at418.png
    screenshot20130321at419.png
    screenshot20130321at419.png

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Siegfried whats up with the Ys at the end of the table of contents items?

• Options
    @Iruka oh I was just using them as variables for the page numbers, to see where I'm considering placing them. X, Y, etc

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    Oooh I just remembered I made a process gif for an old mock-magazine cover I designed.

maBuaB6.gif

• Options
    That's cool, Flay.

I did what I could to tighten up the faces a little, and then it was time to give it away.

Here's the whole process:

momanddadprocess.jpg

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Here's basically the whole process for my Buffalo Soldier drawing a while back. Inked by hand, I couldn't find just a pencils version. I fooled around with a bunch of text options (hand drawn and premade fonts, but couldn't find something I was happy with. I also took a try at actual buffalo soldier colors at one point, but wasn't super happy with it.
    BuffaloSoldier_zpsf12033e5.gif

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Haha oh man I loved that bison, glad to see the process.

Flay that's pretty nice too, at first it bothered me that the shapes weren't centered but seeing how the perspective is set it works out nicely.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    This isn't really complete, but I wanted to post what I have before this thread is closed.

zosgGEj.jpg

• Options
    Great work Flay, that's coming along very nicely

• Options
    If you hadn't said anything I would have left it as a blotchy mess, now I'm really glad I pushed forward with it. Thanks man!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Sneaking this in before it's all gone. (Do these look fuzzy to you? They do on my monitor, but then again this is a retina display...)
    screenshot20130402at222.png

screenshot20130402at222.png

screenshot20130402at221.png

screenshot20130402at219.png

screenshot20130402at218.png

screenshot20130402at217.png

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Actually I'm pretty sure that cracking eggs on a flat surface gives you less shells in your shit.

• Options
    jwaddjwadd Registered User regular
    @Siegfried that looks like it belongs in the 4 hour chef.
    @m3nace I was taught by my uncle to crack eggs this way when i was like 16... up until that point i would always have 3 tiny shell pieces in my eggs... this method is 2 steps and when done correctly prevents any shell from falling until after the egg white has drained completely.

• Options
    I do it against the corner of the pan and never get shells in my egg, I just figured this method was also the easiest way for beginners.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    FellegranteFellegrante Registered User new member
    I really like your layout and format. It's kind of like an RPG monster profile, but in cookbook form.

Siegfried wrote: »
    I'm making a cookbook, don't know how much help you guys can be but at least I'm contributing!!

• Options
    I really like your layout and format. It's kind of like an RPG monster profile, but in cookbook form.
    Haha I should add weak points to eggs and raw meat and include info like elemental weaknesses...like fire.

Kochikens wrote: