As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Hank Henshaw

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    G'nort

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Geoff Johns wearing one of those Blackest Night pack-in rings

CYpGAPn.png
  • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-green-lantern-writer-interview.html
    Nrama: For the last several months and into the next few issues, all the Green Lantern titles are tied very closely together. Will that continue going forward, or are the creators on the Lantern titles going to do their own thing for awhile?

Venditti: They're each going to have their own individual stories. Josh has come up with some great ideas for what he's going to do on Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns. And Justin has some really cool ideas for what he's going to do on New Guardians. And so all the books are going to stay on their own in the sense that I think you would get a complete reading experience if you just picked up one of them in any given month.

Yay!

• SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    Thoughts on GL #17, GLC #17, and GLNG #17
    I disliked that when Volthoom looked at Ganthet's Life Constellation that Ganthet giving Kyle the ring wasn't highlighted. They've made such a huge deal of Ganthet and Kyle's connection over in GLNG that it was weird to not see it acknowledged in GL. At least it confirms that Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War are firmly in continuity.

GLC #17 was the worst of the lot, I thought. Tomasi just can't get me to care about Guy's rebooted family. This issue confirmed that Guy's Warrior days, all of the major beats from GLC vol 1 including Kyle's death and Soranik's involvement in his resurrection, are in continuity.

GLNG #17 was quite good. Kuder draws Kyle better with a mask than he does without. This issue confirmed all of Kyle's previous costumes are in continuity, that Hal died reigniting the sun (so some form of Final Night happened in the new 52), and that Kyle was Ion. Still waiting on to see if Hal spent time as the Spectre or not in the new 52. I think it's easy enough for them to get rid of that part if they wanted to. Just ignore his brief parts as the Spectre at the beginning of Rebirth and have it be all about Parallax corrupting his soul or something.

All in all, I had anticipated more damage being done to GL continuity with this arc but, so far anyway, they've actually been doing the best job yet in the new 52 of confirming that everything that happened still happened.

Crap like this is why the New 52 is so awful. I hate having to guess which parts of continuity count and which don't. Fortunately I didn't start reading GL until Johns had established his modern continuity which seems to have mostly remained in tact, but I also remember 90's stuff like Final Night and Kyle's beginnings as GL.

Pre-Flashpoint I had never read much DC outside of Batman and more recently GL. New 52 seemed like it was going to be a strong reboot so I branched out a bit. Unfortunately DC was too afraid to commit to a real reboot so they've tried clinging on to certain bits of continuity while ignoring others, not even realizing that now they have a huge puzzle missing half of its pieces due to the compressed timeline. Their solution seems to be to just find pieces from another puzzle that kind of fit so they can create a whole picture regardless of how ugly and nonsensical it is.

Now these books that tried to maintain continuity from pre-Flashpoint make way less sense than they would have if they'd just rebooted entirely. Fuck, DC. How did you manage to make a reboot more convoluted in 18 months than anything you had going on for the last seven decades?

• RansRans Registered User regular
    i don't think it's convoluted at all but okay

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So according to the Solicits the status quo of GL post Johns is:

Hal is leader of the GLC, which the universe hates and fears now.
    Guy joins the Red Lanterns.
    Kyle works with those DnD looking Guardians that recently showed up

CYpGAPn.png
    Also, according to Failvok's comicvine interview GLC is going to focus on John and Soranik.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    So according to the Solicits the status quo of GL post Johns is:

Hal is leader of the GLC, which the universe hates and fears now.
    That sounds rad.
    Guy joins the Red Lanterns.

This doesn't.

steam_sig-400.png
    It's Failvok he can turn anything to gold as far as I'm concerned.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    How nerfed are the Red Lanterns now in terms of rage? Used to be their heart stopped beating, but they seem to have backslid the rage into more just annoyance/cynicism, like stuck in traffic all the time.

edited March 2013
    Most of them are still insane, the ones that get baptized in a pool of blood or something are just normal angry.

sweetcreamscoops on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Atrocitus upgraded a few of them to be smarter. Their power battery is still messed up from this magical blood curse, so the Red Lanterns aren't at full strength.

I don't really like the idea of Guy joining them either - occasionally tapping into rage as a last resort berserker move maybe, but not becoming a full-time member. I guess he's messed up pretty bad by Volthoom.

However... I would be fine with it if they start changing the Red Lanterns from the animalistic monsters they are now to more like the Reds from the Animated Series. They were more like this warrior elite culture supported by an entire system of lower ranking soldiers and workers, with an empire, a religion, cathedrals, warships, entire planets, all made up of people displaced by conflict cause by the Guardians and their armies. None of the Corps have a support structure like that, except occasionally the Sinestro Corps when they conquer a planet and they always get booted off of it.

They've made a few moves towards it by making intelligent Red Lanterns, I'd love to see them do it. And I wouldn't mind Guy joining them for a while if they do.

H9f4bVe.png
    Green Lantern Corps #18 was really bad and filled with art errors and continuity errors?? (but who knows really what's a continuity error anymore)

it's clear that Tomasi's focus has been elsewhere. I loved his original GLC run, but he's been bad to terrible and phoning it in in my opinion since Emerald Warriors #1.

Looking forward to the creative changes.

What happened?

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's the same thing that happened to Guy last month, only to John this month.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Couldn't get past the art. John was basically drawn the entire issue with a mouth like an unhinged snake jaw.

The first few chapters of Wrath are so far just Volthoom screwing with everyone with his whole alternate lifeline dealy. Not very exciting, particularly if these alternate lifelines wind up having no lasting impact - Volthoom may wind up writing a new continuity and we're getting a preview of what it'll possibly contain, but if that doesn't happen this was all largely pointless.

The real story progression seems to be in Green Lantern only, although I'm interested in what Volthoom will do to Atrocitus next RL.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    Like Rans said, GLC #18 art was awful. Glaring errors in continuity and horrible writing. Not sure what happened, but the whole issue was a hot mess.

edited March 2013
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Well now that we know about it, they probably wouldn't go through with it, right? The entire point would be to shock people, and that possibility is gone now.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    CBR has also confirmed it with their own sources, and now BC says that the web reaction has driven DC editorial to nix the idea again.

What a mess.
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-green-lantern-writer-interview.html
    Nrama: For the last several months and into the next few issues, all the Green Lantern titles are tied very closely together. Will that continue going forward, or are the creators on the Lantern titles going to do their own thing for awhile?

Venditti: They're each going to have their own individual stories. Josh has come up with some great ideas for what he's going to do on Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns. And Justin has some really cool ideas for what he's going to do on New Guardians. And so all the books are going to stay on their own in the sense that I think you would get a complete reading experience if you just picked up one of them in any given month.

Yay!

I feel like this won't be happening anymore if editorial are writing all the titles, and they're trying to come up with a gimmick to sell them all.

Although I'm pretty darn tempted to drop most of them at this junction.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't know if I'll be paying much attention to GL stuff after Johns.

steam_sig-400.png
    With Jon's death nixed I wonder if this means DC is going to pull a Gail Simone on Fialvok. Probably not. Dammit DC, how is it possible for you to give Charles Soule two ongoings and yet still fuck everything up.

Whoa, I wouldn't have thought that spilling the beans would cause them to drop the idea. But good, I guess, I didn't really want that to happen. I want them to make me care about the character more, I just don't right now.

The latest New Guardians was pretty fun to read - again, the story doesn't exactly do much moving forwards, but we get to see some interesting glimpses into 3 of the guardians. Liked the bit with Larfleeze - he can exasperate anyone. And the idea that Volthoom is feeding off of specific emotions from the New Guardians is a little more interesting than him just draining random GLs of grief for whatever reason.

H9f4bVe.png
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    You'd think by now DC would stop doing high profile stupid shit.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    This whole thing is in spoilers in case DC decides to go through with it still:

On one hand, killing their best-known black character makes them look like morons. On another, depending on how thoroughly they had plotted it and if it was supposed to be a long-term change without a reversal planned or a short-term, story-based change, in a lot of ways this could've elevated him. If it was a short-term, story based death, it would've put him alongside the biggest, best-known characters in comics, and (as far as I can remember) it would've made him the first major black character to have that kind of major mythological comic book death and revival.

Now, that said, it's DC and I doubt their plan was to build a story around his death & revival, especially since they just did that for Hal Jordan. He was probably meant to die and be replaced for awhile.

edited March 2013
    I both love and hate the latest Red Lanterns.

I hate the depiction of Atrocitus' people, civilization, and society as basically identical in every way to humanity, except their skin is red. I liked it better when it was implied that Ryutt was filled with weird, tribal, chaotic space-demon people like the rest of the Five Inversions. You could still tell the same story with that society, but the utterly uninspired and lazy depiction of this alien race bugs me to no end.

However-

It has this amazing hammer-blow moment, which is especially jarring if you've been following Atrocitus since his first appearance. And a powerful final scene as well.
    Atrocitus' has been tormented by the destruction of his people. It's the source of all his rage and hate, which hasn't dulled in over a billion years.

Volthoom re-writes Atrocitus' history and shows him a timeline where his homeworld and family were never destroyed by the Manhunters. In it, Atrocitus became a brutal conqueror, oppressing his people and slaughtering any dissenters, even in his own family.
    redlanterns_018_15.jpg
    redlanterns_018_16.jpg
    redlanterns_018_17.jpg

Volthoom turns him loose, and we get this:
    redlanterns_018_20.jpg

In terms of being a side-chapter to the whole Wrath of the First Lantern arc, it's much more interesting to read than GLC and New Guardians have been.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    hopefully with Red Lanterns #18 we're finished with the seemingly endless story of "Volthoom alters main character's already murky past but nothing ultimately happens"

Hopefully the next 5 issues (the #19 issues and GL #20, since the rest of the #20s are aftermath issues) are action packed and filled with reveals in order to salvage Johns' final story arc.

According to the shipping list GLC #20, the epilogue to Wrath of the First Lantern, will come out before GL #20, the final part of Wrath of the First Lantern. This wouldn't be the first time that DC has delayed the big finale and then later delayed all of the following issues to come out on the same day but....

according to the preview of GLC #20 posted here: http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/05/exclusive-preview-green-lantern-corps-20/#

It looks like they'll be shipping the epilogue before the final part after all

lol dc

also, re: john stewart
    having him fall in love with fatality is pretty lame. "let's just get our only two black characters together!!!!!! ignore the fact that fatality has spent her entire publishing history trying to kill stewart!!!!!" i'm all for john having character development and a relationship, far far far far overdue, but Fatality was the nonsensical low-hanging fruit.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    It's Black Panther and Storm all over again

Whew - that was getting kind've ridiculous, really.
    Basically stuffing every element from the entire Geoff Johns run into one fight scene.

Could've done without the corny bookends of rebirth stuff (all gonna wind up non-canon, natch).

It was quite a ride alright. Glad he didn't leave the series by undoing everything he'd done so far - having Hal Jordan 'dead' and wrecking up the various Corps a bunch had me worried that would happen.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    The bookends were my favorite part tho

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I loved GL #20. It's a fitting end for a 10-year run.
    Sinestro is the hero we deserve.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So what's Kyle's status in the new 52?

He was always my favorite lantern but when they started heading him into the ION, choosen one, etc, I lost interest in the character.

He is become the White Lantern, the Life Lantern, the Torchbearer, master of the emotional spectrum, the one true wielder of the white ring, with the power of life and death and the ability to channel the powers of every Corps, a power none other possesses.
    His future as foretold in #20 is to become Space Jesus, healing millions of aliens across the universe.

So... yeah. You still might not be interested.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, that sounds in no way appealing.

I guess they had to make him different when Hal returned, but that's going way overboard.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The Fatality+Stewart thing isn't at all like Black Panther+Storm.

For one, Fatality is an alien.

Two, the sexual tension betwen the two has been pretty evident since Fatality's inception. Especially after she found out it wasn't really John's fault her world was destroyed and was more or less playing a broken stalker.

I honestly like the pairing.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, that sounds in no way appealing.

I guess they had to make him different when Hal returned, but that's going way overboard.

Here's an interview and art work that might help you decide.

http://www.newsarama.com/17894-white-lantern-kyle-literal-new-guardians-star-as-new-team-joins.html

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    also, re: john stewart
    having him fall in love with fatality is pretty lame. "let's just get our only two black characters together!!!!!! ignore the fact that fatality has spent her entire publishing history trying to kill stewart!!!!!" i'm all for john having character development and a relationship, far far far far overdue, but Fatality was the nonsensical low-hanging fruit.
    Isn't Kyle a logical choice for her to be obsessed with? He was kicking her ass years before Stewart became a Lantern again.