As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sculpted Dragon Egg (not guaranteed to hatch)

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
Some people paint chicken eggs this time of year, I decided to do something different...
I sculpted and painted a DRAGON EGG! (obvious influence = Game of Thrones)

Aluminum foil core, apoxie sculpt, and a rough rock to do the texturing on the bottom half. Then multiple layering of acrylic paint. Thanks for looking! :)

229420_616934288321209_327667550_n.jpg

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    How did you get such a nice ball of aluminum foil to start with?

• Options
    I just kept wrapping it around a simple egg shape I made out of foil and rolled and compressed it until it was just right.
    If you use the heavy duty kind of foil it works better. (trust me, it was a LOT of foil to get it that size...I need to stop saying foil)

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Clicking 'awesome' on your OP does not seem adequate. That thing is exceedingly cool.

How do you plan to display it? Do you have a stand?

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    If you do this again you might want to just pick up a foam egg at a craft store.
    Cool sculpt!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    really cool

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    supabeast wrote: »
    If you do this again you might want to just pick up a foam egg at a craft store.
    Cool sculpt!

If its an oven bake clay, then I think its generally safer to use wire/foil over foam of any sort.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    supabeast wrote: »
    Cool sculpt!

If its an oven bake clay, then I think its generally safer to use wire/foil over foam of any sort.

Generally, yeah, but what he's using is epoxy clay. It cures chemically, without the need for baking.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh word, back in the day I thought scotty used sculpey, I guess I am mistaken. I've never used an epoxy clay myself they seem pretty cool.

Oh, and its really awesome scotty! I wish you posted way more.

• Options
    Hey thanks everyone! :)

I actually used to use Super Sculpey solely (still do for certain things) but I find apoxie to be much more durable once you get used to using it. I find it has also helped me to sculpt faster too, as it has a 2-3 hour cure time.
    In retrospect, yup, a styrofoam egg would have bulked it up quicker, but I liked the idea of the egg having weight/heft to it. (something you don't get with styrofoam)

I SHOULD post more Iruka...just been busy, but I'll try to be around more, definitely got work to post.
    Thanks again guys! :^: